Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:42 am 

Holy hyperbole Thamuz. :rolleyes:

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:21 am 

Plugging Aeturnus65's Atlain review here. A solid, easily gliding read. I haven't gotten around the rest of his yet.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:24 pm 

Worth doing so, he's probably my reviewer of the year for 2006 right now, along with brocashelm and droneriot.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:25 am 

droneriot seems to have a nice new idea for a review series. We'll see what it will amount to, but I think it's worth looking forward to.

The first part is for Vomit (Nor). Try it and learn, you aspiring young writer-wannabe.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=64715#16199

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:39 am 

Thanks. I'm not perfectly happy with the fourth chapter, but I thought the first three turned out pretty well.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:24 pm 

Hah, damn, having difficulties decided whether to pick Abysmal or Kvikksølvguttene for the fifth part, both already have a review, though the one for Abysmal pretty much sucks, and Kvikksølvguttene are more or less well-known anyway. Still, didn't make up my mind 100% yet.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:55 pm 

Don't worry, droney, your Winter of Apokalypse review was an enjoyable piece. I like reading things with a point.

All other things being equal, choose the more underground one. Negative reviews are welcome too, and especially the older, underground bands usually get worshipped, deserved or not.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:01 am 

Thamuz wrote a review on Necromantia's Crossing The Fiery Path:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2423#4748

It's... different. Lyrical and strange, but not odd enough to turn into a gimmick review. I already know everybody will not like it, but I did.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:14 am 

Sacraphobic's review of Far Away From the Sun deserves some praise. Handling personal favorites is always difficult, so big ups to ma homie.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:07 am 

Falconsbane wrote:
Sacraphobic's review of Far Away From the Sun deserves some praise. Handling personal favorites is always difficult, so big ups to ma homie.

Seconded.

Thanks for the praise, Napero.

Any chance of reviewing Ildjarn's masterpiece, Falco?

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:34 am 

At some point, possibly. I've got a million projects small and large these days, I have to put most of my energy into ye olde dissertation, so reviews and the like tend to be spur of the moment, and only forthcoming when the spirit moves me.

PerpetualDawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:32 am 

Falconsbane wrote:

Cheers sire, I reciprocate: your two recent reviews were well written as ever, and inspired me to listen to the works in question. Haven't made my mind up on the Celtic Frost as a whole yet, but it's promising - sections of it rule. I remember you said something about a positive Sorrow review, I'd be interested in that if you were to find the time/inspiration.

Your review sucks Thamuz, don't give up your koala-hunting day job. ;)

Incidentally, I'm in the middle of a Dark Tribe review for those interested.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:39 pm 

And you're British. :lol:

Now *shhh* this isn't UM, there are grown-ups here.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:31 pm 

I wanted to compliment Sean16 on his review for Agalloch's The Mantle (which is not new). That page is absolutely screaming for some semblance of balance, and he does a good job at providing a little bit. I think I'd personally have a tough time containing the vitriol, myself, but his approach is quite classy.

Cheeses_Priced's review is also true quality, if a bit wishy-washy in some aspects.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm 

Huh... I couldn't have imagined my name would one day appear in this thread.

Thanks Nightgaunt, I didn't really know what to think about this The Mantle review, as judging the quality of one's own work is always a difficult challenge, at least for me.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:44 pm 

Thamuz is coming into his own lately. His latest - Angelwitch's s/t debut - floats with an open-minded reverie that I like without sounding like he's on too much of a psychedelic trip. I would have liked to hear which songs brought about his conclusion, but a good job nonetheless.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:06 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
Thamuz is coming into his own lately. His latest - Angelwitch's s/t debut - floats with an open-minded reverie that I like without sounding like he's on too much of a psychedelic trip. I would have liked to hear which songs brought about his conclusion, but a good job nonetheless.

Thanks, my friend.

I was going to be more specific in mentioning songs, but couldn't figure out how to work it in. I guess 'White Witch' and 'Sorcerers' are the best examples.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:06 pm 

Thamuz wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

Thanks, my friend.

I was going to be more specific in mentioning songs, but couldn't figure out how to work it in. I guess 'White Witch' and 'Sorcerers' are the best examples.

It also happens to remind me of my own reviewing style... which is ironic considering that my own review of The Slumber of Sullen Eyes was motivated partly by not liking your review of the same album.

I speculate that the cause of the vague similarity betwen our review styles is our shared application of art theory to Metal. (something which you apparently, though, take to much further extremes)

PerpetualDawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:07 pm 

i thought it was my reviewing style Thamuz rips off :(

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:39 am 

PerpetualDawn wrote:
i thought it was my reviewing style Thamuz rips off :(

Well, along with Prozak, Falconsbane and Abominatrix you were one of my main influences. Buttsex later, okay?

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:48 am 

Perpetual Dawn = GoD = Sacraphobic, right?

I do not have any influences in particular, except that I have on occassions attempted to mimick Boris.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:25 am 

My only reviewing influence is probably Martin Popoff, though reading others here has often inspired me to try and improve my craft in order to keep up.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:18 am 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
My only reviewing influence is probably Martin Popoff, though reading others here has often inspired me to try and improve my craft in order to keep up.

Really? Your review of Time Does Not Heal reminds me of a less cranky Falco or perhaps a more in-depth HowDisgusting.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:12 pm 

I'd say I have a rather unique style of writing, but that's just me. My biggest influences are what I learned in school on how to write an essay properly, the heavy use of analogies I learned from Star Trek (which has helped me through many years of being a non-native English speaker with a limited knowledge of English vocabulary - there's always some analogy that can help you around words you don't know, and it has become someone of a habit) and my natural tendency to ramble on and on without even acknowledging the existence of a full-stop and on and on and on... Of people on this website I've found the writings of UltraBoris the most inspiring. Tam-tadam.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:18 pm 

Peregrin wrote:
OlympicSharpshooter wrote:

Really? Your review of Time Does Not Heal reminds me of a less cranky Falco or perhaps a more in-depth HowDisgusting.

The TDNH review is probably one of my 'colder' efforts given how much of a failure I consider it to be. Generally my work is probably characterized by excessive emotion and overly colourful metaphors, which is probably diametrically opposed to either of those two. I'm a big fan of HowDisgusting's work though.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:02 pm 

I've always felt style should be fairly morphable. I try to keep my own work situationally reflexive - a style that works for a positive Burzum review probably isn't the best choice when it comes time to demolish Megadeth. I don't consciously model what I write on anyone else, or, for that matter, on what I've written before. I get a pretty much love it/hate it response from most people, not, I think because of my opinions (though that occasionally happens with the fanboys), but more because my general approach tends to veer away from concrete and toward the psychological/conceptual/emotional aspects of a work. I think my outstanding feature as a reviewer is a sensitivity to the ambiguity of art, and I try to reflect that in my reviews by taking out the authoritative 'glue' between the words and approaching things fairly experientially (in positive reviews, at leasts).

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:28 pm 

The way I currently write my reviews can best be described as aiming to stay sufficiently descriptive and concise at once while keeping my interpretation of the music within the boundaries of common sense.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:07 pm 

Abominatrix's long-awaited return with his Pagan Altar review is excellent stuff. Perhaps one could say the work is too long, and a bit rusty in places, but this adds a certain indescribable charm. His vast scope and insightful imagination provide for some enjoyable reading.

In answer to his question in the other thread: Yes you should keep writing, as I can safely say that although I may have been an influence on your latest review, you have outdone me by far. Well done.

PerpetualDawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:16 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:
I've always felt style should be fairly morphable. I try to keep my own work situationally reflexive - a style that works for a positive Burzum review probably isn't the best choice when it comes time to demolish Megadeth.

Absolutely. The fundamentals of my writing style tend to be quite consistent, but otherwise the way I approach my reviews is largely case-by-case. Often I'll go into a review with no plans about how to start it and I'll just feel my way into it using the album's mood as a spark of sorts - my Nortt review (albeit rather brief and cheesy *grin*) is a good example of my writing style reflecting the mood of the album I'm listening to. If I was a more confident writer I would possibly attempt this reflection more consciously and consistently, as I find it allows the reader to get a more *first-hand* feel for the album without having heard a note.

PerpetualDawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:24 pm 

Thamuz wrote:
Abominatrix's long-awaited return with his Pagan Altar review is excellent stuff. Perhaps one could say the work is too long, and a bit rusty in places, but this adds a certain indescribable charm. His vast scope and insightful imagination provide for some enjoyable reading.

Abominatrix is always a pleasure to read, and I suppose he's as much an influence on my reviewing as anybody else here. He was the primary inspiration for the scene-setting introductory paragraph I often use.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:02 pm 

yes, and the lyrical exerpts certainly add to the long-windedness. Thanks, both of you. You two are among my favourite reviewers here. Thamuz, you should review more Greek black metal stuff. That Necromantia one might be my favourite of yours yet.

I really appreciate OSS's newest addition for Dark Angel's "Time Does Not Heal". THe thing is, I downloaded the album quite some time ago, because I really do enjoy "Darkness Descends" and thought Dark angel playing progressive thrash ought to have been a pretty good thing. However, I was never able to sit down and listen to the whole thing from start to finish, and couldn't quite articulate exactly why I thought it was such a poor effort. Definitely much more aloof than some of your other work, but as you said yourself, it's the kind of album that brings about this sort of bored mechanical detachment, so it fits rather well.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:10 pm 

Thamuz wrote:

In answer to his question in the other thread: Yes you should keep writing, as I can safely say that although I may have been an influence on your latest review, you have outdone me by far. Well done.

Yeah, and I almost blew right by it in the wake of the thebleakhorizon stampede.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:13 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Thamuz, you should review more Greek black metal stuff. That Necromantia one might be my favourite of yours yet.

My two other main interests from Greece, Rotting Christ and Varathron, are toguh ones for me at this stage. I'm struggling to point down why they are so good. But, be patient, it will click some day. :)

Sean16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:44 am 

Related to the last Gutterscream post... Am I the only one to find this thebleakhorizon guy a tad annoying? I mean, his reviews aren't bad, but nonetheless the huge majority of them are pretty generic works for well-known bands. There was no need to flood the site with them, at least IMHO.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:48 am 

Sean16 wrote:
Related to the last Gutterscream post... Am I the only one to find this thebleakhorizon guy a tad annoying? I mean, his reviews aren't bad, but nonetheless the huge majority of them are pretty generic works for well-known bands. There was no need to flood the site with them, at least IMHO.

I don't know, it's nice to see a guy who regularly submits reviews that are reasonably well written .. makes looking at the queue much more bearable. THe only thing I question about this guy is his rating scheme, which seems pretty bizarre to me ... four good songs and four awful ones does not amount to anywhere near 70% in my book, but I don't really care enough about ratings to reject his reviews for it. Certainly some of my own reviews could use a rating adjustment, too.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:49 am 

Not all at once, anyway.

Sean16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:15 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
Not all at once, anyway.

Exactly. I wasn't complaining about his rating system, even if I also use a different one, I've already seen far worse (how many times have we seen half-negative reviews ending up with a 90?). I also find his views a bit simplistic sometimes, but it's a minor complain as well.

It was more about the fact than the last couple of day one had the impression he was the only reviewer on the site. For instance Abominatrix, if you hadn't posted in the review workshop thread I wouldn't even have noticed you had written a new (excellent, but it seems like it had already been said...) piece of work.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:21 am 

Sean16 wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:
Not all at once, anyway.

Exactly. I wasn't complaining about his rating system, even if I also use a different one, I've already seen far worse (how many times have we seen half-negative reviews ending up with a 90?). I also find his views a bit simplistic sometimes, but it's a minor complain as well.

It was more about the fact than the last couple of day one had the impression he was the only reviewer on the site. For instance Abominatrix, if you hadn't posted in the review workshop thread I wouldn't even have noticed you had written a new (excellent, but it seems like it had already been said...) piece of work.

He must be porting them from some other website. Actually at first I wondered if we might have had a plagiarist on our hands but they do seem to all carry the same style and tone.

And yeah, my review sure didn't stay near the top of the page very long. :D...Thanks, Sean.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:20 pm 

He has his own website, there's a link in his profile. I believe this will be a one-time dumpster diving spree, and then he'll maintain a more relaxed pace. All of the submitted reviews aren't there, so I guess he submits some older ones, too. There's a bit of variation in his quality, but most of the reviews are very likable, considering the average submissions in the queue. Not anything exceptional, but good, basic reviews anyway.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:32 pm 

You guys remember when requiem99 joined the site? He submitted over 300 reviews in a matter of days. Bleak is just a drop in the bucket by comparison.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 520  Next