Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 am 

Greetings to kluseba for having achieved his review no. 1.000. I don't agree with a lot of his reviews, but that's normal. The sheer quantity is impressive and his stamina deserves attention.

Last edited by Felix 1666 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:21 am 

Felix 1666 wrote:
Greeetings to kluseba for having achieved his review no. 1.000. I don't agree with a lot of his reviews, but that's normal. The sheer quantity is impressive and his stamina deserves attention.

Good shout; congrats to Kluseba

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 am 

MutantClannfear's new Sloth review is one of the best reviews I've ever read. Kudos.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:16 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
MutantClannfear's new Sloth review is one of the best reviews I've ever read. Kudos.

'TBFFB' was created by someone recording the noise made when you're travelling down a motor way at 100 m.p.h., with your head out of the window.

It's bollox!

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:15 pm 

Cheers to gasmask for carrying the Buckethead torch. Every single read is fantastic and it's a treat reading those in between his other reviews, which as just as great.

Same goes to CHAIRTHROWER, too!!! So cool to see the theme park having extra guides.

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm 

I'm glad that hellsunicorn has finally reviewed Winterstorm stuff.

I also think that Deep Purple is the most underestimated classic band among the reviewers. Machine Head is the only one that overcomes the barrier of 10 reviews. I'd like to at least the guys review their classics yet.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 pm 

WR95 wrote:
I'm glad that hellsunicorn has finally reviewed Winterstorm stuff.

I also think that Deep Purple is the most underestimated classic band among the reviewers. Machine Head is the only one that overcomes the barrier of 10 reviews. I'd like to at least the guys review their classics yet.

Yeah man, I think I remember you asking me about a year ago to hit those, right around the time Cube of Infinity came out, felt bad I didn't get around to them the last 2 challenges and when I saw the list of about 20 albums left to potentially review yesterday, I just opted to nail the whole Winterstorm discography and then see what else I could squeeze in afterward. In retrospect, I wished that I'd reviewed their stuff sooner, they've got an excellent sound and I feel bad that they aren't getting the same level of interest that bands like Wind Rose and King Of Asgard have been getting.

Psyche_Dome wrote:
To quote hells_unicorn's Weapon review: 'it was Weapon, a band that looks like the post-Grace Slick era of Starship'

WAY TO GO HELLS_UNICORN!!! https://youtu.be/DjtJ4AZuKlE

:lol: Yeah, I saw that comment you made earlier and my curiosity was peaked. They were the only band that I opted to check out and then review while the challenge was going on (all the other stuff I had listened to in the preceding month and a half), and the words just flowed. They might have been well served had they gotten a better production, but for 1988, the whole "Too Fast For Love" formula was way too played out and there wasn't enough of a NWOBHM-influence on it to really make the rawer production work. A couple of the songs were pretty catchy and the performance of each musician was decent, but the songwriting was pretty bland and boring.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Cheers to gasmask for carrying the Buckethead torch. Every single read is fantastic and it's a treat reading those in between his other reviews, which as just as great.

Same goes to CHAIRTHROWER, too!!! So cool to see the theme park having extra guides.

I'm glad to see that you approve, oh master of buckets.

Me and CHAIRTHROWER thought you had definitely found an amazing girlfriend because you disappeared so suddenly and completely. Glad to see you're alive!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm 

WR95: I absolutely agree, super underestimated and one of my favorites ever! That's why I've been doing some of their albums lately, since they don't have many.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 pm 

I'm all for alternate opinions and such but 10% is an awfully hyperbolic rating on that new Pagan Altar review. It reads more like a 50-60% to me.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm all for alternate opinions and such but 10% is an awfully hyperbolic rating on that new Pagan Altar review. It reads more like a 50-60% to me.

Exactly! His review seems pretty measured, where he praises and criticizes; and the review sounds like a 50-60%...

Note: Sandwitch gives his second review 100%, so I'd say that the scoring is letting him down.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
:lol: Yeah, I saw that comment you made earlier and my curiosity was peaked. They were the only band that I opted to check out and then review while the challenge was going on (all the other stuff I had listened to in the preceding month and a half), and the words just flowed. They might have been well served had they gotten a better production, but for 1988, the whole "Too Fast For Love" formula was way too played out and there wasn't enough of a NWOBHM-influence on it to really make the rawer production work. A couple of the songs were pretty catchy and the performance of each musician was decent, but the songwriting was pretty bland and boring.

Their look, followed by the description in the review did make me laugh; I think I'll have to check this album out myself, now.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 am 

Verily dug Chris Jenning's ALMANAC/Kingslayer review;

very enthusiastic and poignantly delivered. especially this line here:

"It takes true talent to deliver a consistent symphonic power metal album without dipping into trite tendencies or mawkish sentimentality but Almanac have managed it with ease, and considering the talent at work here, that should come as no surprise."

I shall make "mawkish" my pet word of the week! [saturnine albeit orphic emoji]

C to the Chair

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 am 

Pagan Altar is certainly an acquired taste...I introduced Room of Shadows to an old-tyme metal man whom I thought would dig it but he readily poo-poo'ed it right off the hop...I think the moniker alone affected his biblical sensibilities (hence the "old-tyme" insertion!] whilst Terry Jones' (RIP) Celtic crooning didn't help matters - even the cool leads failed to stir him. I joked "you can't buy class" to which he responded by linking me with a "All Hail The New Flesh" by Strapping Young Lad!

I also was a little taken aback from Sandwitch's despondent rating but appreciate the fire lit under my feet! Duly enjoyed his following review for Outlaw however...will surely check that out.

Also, thrilled to see stainedclass2112 on the forum/at the Archives again! Gasmask_C and I were starting to worry there for a moment...

[un-mawkish emoji here!]

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 am 

Swell review, TheStormIRide, for Druadan Forest; who'd have figured lush, numinous atmospheres compellingly blend with black thrash metal overtures?! Need to check it out now!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Swell review, TheStormIRide, for Druadan Forest; who'd have figured lush, numinous atmospheres compellingly blend with black thrash metal overtures?! Need to check it out now!

Thanks! It's definitely worth a listen or two. It's really short for the style, which holds it back a bit, but I really enjoyed it.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:49 pm 

My latest review (Yellow Bucket by Yellow Machinegun) is another virgin deflowered and now the band has a review for each of their albums. I'll review the rest including the other splits that have still not been touched, but for now I'll move onto some different bands lest I get burned out on re-listening to the same one for so long.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:42 pm 

Crikey! It be"hooves" brutal death metal minions to glean metalladdd's (sordidly) enriching write-up and stomach churning historical narrative of Baalsebub's The Sickness of the Holy Inquisition...love the writing style, as well as the spot-on description of the album...

[pass the barf bag please!]

(Chthonian) CHAIR

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:50 pm 

This review, written by a drummer, mentions at least half a dozen times how the drums are sloppy/off-time. The album uses a drum machine. :scratch:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ench/62512

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:18 pm 

Liking Larry's Annihilator review; liking the album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:06 am 

RapeTheDead pretty much summed up what I think of that new MA: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ead/223370

Good review - very well-reasoned.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 am 

I enjoyed Mutantclannfear's string of reviews for Animae Capronii, especially if viewed chronologically: i almost expected a decent album before shameful ending :lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
RapeTheDead pretty much summed up what I think of that new MA: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ead/223370

Good review - very well-reasoned.

I'm not even going to bother reading it. I got the entire gist of the review from the title and score alone. I'm not even being sarcastic when I say that that is the kind of concise wit I aspire to. Absolute fucking perfection.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm 

y'all are too kind. I was worried I wouldn't quite be getting my point across so that's reassuring to know. Getting praise from two of M-A's best writers...it's a good Christmas for this necrophile.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:05 pm 

[insert gleeful gnashing of teeth and all-around vitriolic tendencies here]

psychoticnikolai astoundingly hit one of the park with his killer, spot-on write-up for Sepultura's schizophrenia!

Dig it (or else!):

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... lai/310306

chair scare

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:29 am 

Lots of crummy review blog "en masse" submissions lately.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:03 pm 

I'm flummoxed; what does "crummy review blog en masse submissions" allude to?
It refers to something pejorative, I know that much!

Confused ChaiR

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:59 pm 

He's referring when a mediocre reviewer submits loads of reviews at once, it's as if they're just getting them from their blog.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:29 am 

Gasmask only gave Horrorscope 81% and I was incensed for 5 seconds.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:53 am 

It's a very good review up until the last paragraph. Not sure what is groovy about Nice Day for a Funeral's intro. That's just straight up heavy metal. He points out most of the good bits in other songs so I approve of the review overall despite his surprisingly lukewarm reception to as a whole.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:25 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
Gasmask only gave Horrorscope 81% and I was incensed for 5 seconds.

Yeah, same here, but he's made his points across well so...

But seriously, Gas, do you really want to feel the fire coming from this wrecking crew? It's Christmas, for crying out loud... Cheers!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 am 

Diamhea wrote:
It's a very good review up until the last paragraph. Not sure what is groovy about Nice Day for a Funeral's intro. That's just straight up heavy metal. He points out most of the good bits in other songs so I approve of the review overall despite his surprisingly lukewarm reception to as a whole.

Is that just me who thinks it's groove metal? Those rhythms and chugs that go all the way through the verses, lurching about with a decent lick. I've finally found the Pantera song that it's close to and that's 'Slaughtered', which I think of as a mostly groove metal number.

Anyway, I've never quite got into Overkill like others seem to: always got left a little cold even by their best albums, though I thought 81% was a pretty respectable score. Glad to see I got three interested readers though...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:22 pm 

Whoa! What a wicked farrago of timely reviews I see!

First, you've got gasmask_C who nailed Hour of 13's The Ritualist (I can take it off my short list now!), then snazzy write-ups for Budgie and Satan (a fine pair) and finally, I got beaten to the punch by felix_headbanger's Tankist write-up - my project today, which incidentally will also rate 85%...(I never read other write-ups before I cozy up to them lest I get overly influenced; although I always read them after! Haha!)...

Looks like I've some catching up to do...

(I wanted to write Tankist up yesterday but felt thrown off posting a bleeding head with metal pole driven through on Xmas...I know, I'm "old hat" like that!

p.s. love the chthonic death chariot insert in the Satan review!

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:02 am 

I thought sashkello's Nokturnal Mortem review was an interesting mix of forcefully rejecting a band's ideology, addressing why it's relevant to the music, and also discussing the music apart from the ideology. While it isn't terribly detailed on the pure music side, I appreciate it when a reviewer shoots down something political without getting smug about it.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:54 pm 

The Archivist considers Megadeth's C.W. the answer or equivalent to Metallica's Boring (Black) album, however, I can remember when it came out, and it didn't feel that way; it actually felt like a relief that one of the big American metal (classic '80s thrashers) bands had put out a decent record, especially after Metallica's atrocious Load [of shit] era, with Reload [more shit] being released that Xmas year, along with Anthrax falling into an abyss. The Boring album is devoid of anything remotely thrash. It's full of slow doomy, groovy songs with some rock sensibility. C.W. is a mix of radio rockers, grungy alt. rock, and thrashy speed metal songs, which somewhat hark back to Mustaine's '81-2 riffing in Metallica and on KIMB; that riffing comes out (or paraphrased) on 'She-Wolf' and 'FFF' (alternatively –'Bullprick') It's Mustaine trying to create a balance which doesn't fully come off; still a decent album, but the weak one compared to the previous 6 studio albums.

Still–I found TheArchivist perspective interesting.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:56 pm 

In regards to Megadeth's C.W., I agree with Psycho Dome's analogy but would like to add "Vortex", with its killer chromatics and spiralling riff pattern, makes this album a worthy acquisition alongside She-Wolf (dig this gal's killer cover) and "FFF" (is that an X-rated reference?); Demonized Chair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW5FDX17y2A

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:34 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
In regards to Megadeth's C.W., I agree with Psycho Dome's analogy but would like to add "Vortex", with its killer chromatics and spiralling riff pattern, makes this album a worthy acquisition alongside She-Wolf (dig this gal's killer cover) and "FFF" (is that an X-rated reference?); Demonized Chair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW5FDX17y2A

Thanks for adding this and I concur; there's also some pretty good solo play on 'Vortex', and it might be worth noting that the live recording of 'She-Wolf' on the Rude Awakening CD really does the song justice. There's a really excellent extended solo section between Mustaine and Peitrelli, and that live sound gives the song more bite! The same applies to the live songs from The World Needs a Hero album.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:12 pm 

Thanks Psyche Dome for those extended Megadeth tid-bits...

As well, I'm thrilled to have "discovered" the female outfitted NWOBHM band Rock Goddess (and its glorious come back) thanks to Pratl1971's write-up today...dig it!:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 971/133552

Another chillax 100% femme metal band (more astringent as it is) worthy of perusal is Belgrade, Serbia's Jenner, special thanks to SlayerDeath666's comprehensive write-up:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 666/247545

Metal regards and Happy (hard rocking, slambashing and chair throwin') New Year!

Chaise effouerre (coy french version)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 am 

Damn, Kill Em All just hit 30 reviews.... Any mods know which album has the most reviews in the entire archives? Just curious.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Damn, Kill Em All just hit 30 reviews.... Any mods know which album has the most reviews in the entire archives? Just curious.

This probably still has the most reviews: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... al/213978/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 520  Next