Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:14 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
The newest Benediction review calls them a US band.

Ouch, need to check that review out, did the writer get really specific and tie them to either the New York or Florida scene? lol

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm 

Regarding gas' cutlery quip ("Are you talking about the dark side of the spoon?"), I'm reminded of my old colleague at Newline Publishing, in Montreal, named Pat Spooner, who endured more than his fair share of ribald japes and jabs...but slack, black, dark ones withstanding, I merrily dug that Contrarian review - killer band name, no-how! - as well as the latest, and very first, A Perfect Murder writes. Nice to see this long-heralded powerhouse from Valleyfield, Quebec, finally receive just praise and felicitations...

(had I mentioned how frilled I was by TP's conservatively rated, albeit wagacious, Witcher's Creed review?)

Gas, expect something up for The Ossuary's Southern Funeral, soon as the ole street machine(ist) re-charges his burnt up batteries...

God and Jesus speed!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:27 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
named Pat Spooner

Spoonerisms, mayhaps?

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Gas, expect something up for The Ossuary's Southern Funeral, soon as the ole street machine(ist) re-charges his burnt up batteries...

Chair, funny you should mention it, but I've been writing one for exactly the same thing. The first half was done pretty much as you commented! Give it a couple days, and we shall compare notes!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:11 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
The newest Benediction review calls them a US band.

Ouch, need to check that review out, did the writer get really specific and tie them to either the New York or Florida scene? lol

If anywhere, they should be from Alabama. :P Also, the said review (now gone, it seems) called the band "OSDM" which is a big pet peeve of mine. It's death metal, guys.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Also, the said review (now gone, it seems) called the band "OSDM" which is a big pet peeve of mine. It's death metal, guys.

I'm interested in this. Of course, there's no major distinction between the early '90s US/Swedish wave and later, more "modern" groups, but I know a lot of people who like one and not the other. Would you make any purposeful distinction between the contrasting production values and songwriting scruples of those two waves?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:09 am 

Speaking for myself, I only use the term "OSDM" when I'm specifically talking about new bands who are intentionally trying to sound old, whereas the bands who were there the first time, and subsequently the ones that the new wave of death metal bands who try their hardest to sound like 1992 are trying to emulate, are just death metal. Benediction would obviously fall into the latter category.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:37 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
Also, the said review (now gone, it seems) called the band "OSDM" which is a big pet peeve of mine. It's death metal, guys.

I'm interested in this. Of course, there's no major distinction between the early '90s US/Swedish wave and later, more "modern" groups, but I know a lot of people who like one and not the other. Would you make any purposeful distinction between the contrasting production values and songwriting scruples of those two waves?

Speaking for myself, I try to limit how many times I use abbreviations like OSDM, but I will often find myself referring to pre-1996 albums with that older, quasi-thrash sound as having an old school demeanor. I tend to agree with BastardHead that the OSDM label generally applies to retro bands who came about in the past 10 years and are purposefully trying to sound exactly like the early 90s sound (which I actually prefer to the newer sound), whereas the original first wave of said sound are generally just referred to as death metal. I know this can get a bit dicey when dealing with certain bands like Immolation that kind of blur the lines between being straight up death metal and being brutal, and there is a pretty massive stylistic difference between the average Obituary album vs Deicide album, but sometimes I think we get a little too descriptive with our sub-genre labels at times.

Back on topic, I perused the review before it was taken down, it wasn't terrible but I am getting tired of people who just rattle off where the band is from and drop their name in the first sentence. I get that anyone writing for a webzine and mirroring a review on here will want to include some obvious historical info since the average webzine reviewer may not frequent this website, but it gets a bit mechanical to just read some one rattle off obvious facts without any kind of a snappy intro to grab the attention.

My reviews.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:50 pm 

What the shniznax/kriznaps?!

Oh, POISSON d'AVRIL!!! (laughing so hard the chair threw me!)...

My poor heart...skipped a beat or three upon glimpsing such a curt and sordid "works" decapitation...

(And, Supercharf's Tank review leisurely amused, to say the least. A little distraught, however, that "That's What Dreams Are Made Of" didn't, or doesn't render him, you know, placid and un-flaccid...).

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
What the shniznax/kriznaps?!

Oh, POISSON d'AVRIL!!! (laughing so hard the chair threw me!)...

My poor heart...skipped a beat or three upon glimpsing such a curt and sordid "works" decapitation...

(And, Supercharf's Tank review leisurely amused, to say the least. A little distraught, however, that "That's What Dreams Are Made Of" didn't, or doesn't render him, you know, placid and un-flaccid...).

Indeed, this is among the better pranks the mods have pulled over the past 14 years I've been on this site. Kinda interesting to see how the stats changed based on one's affinity for true metal elitism. I'm still second in total number of reviews, but the gap between autothrall and I just got way the hell smaller. Kinda feel bad for bayern, his affinity for really obscure thrash and death metal from the 90s took a massive hit and he's out of the Top 10, while Ultraboris' legacy reviews managed to put him back in the Top 10. :lol:

My reviews.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
but sometimes I think we get a little too descriptive with our sub-genre labels at times.

Nooooooo, where would you ever get a crazy idea like that? Starting with the 30 different branches of black metal perhaps?

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:43 pm 

I'm down to 14 reviews. I'm like a "Stampede of the Disco Elephants" level of poser.
Thanks Japan (except Ningen Isu) and corsetcore. You ruined me.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:13 pm 

Only 10 reviews left for me. Thankfully my "Dear Jon Schaffer," review of Plagues of Babylon by Iced Earth is still there.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:44 pm 

My list looks whack, what with only 3 (out of 59) under 80%...2 in the 60s. and just one in the 70s...it makes me look even more permissive and gregarious than usual!

Plus, the fact they eschewed on Amulet is a no-no...especially considering the immensely anticipated - despite innumerable pernicious delays - "The Second": The Inevitable War, unfurls itself in May! - one more reason to get my act together, eh?!

(Murrf, I think I just supercharded!)

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:03 pm 

No more obscures, that's it... hitting the Metallica and Maiden catalogues... soon.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am 

Some of you guys gotta pick up the slack... I had 210 reviews left over and I am well known for reviewing cheesier power metal types of stuff.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:24 am 

I think I had like 63

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am 

Finally, Vancouver's West of Hell has (slyly) turned around with a knicker-ripping sophomore...that said, I wouldn't have known, were it not for Hells' U's timely review...
(Sorry Gas, that coveted Ossuary write-up will have to wait; I'm way too fucked up and down and out to formulate any kind of thoughts or opinions, even the wigged out, galaxy-brained kind...my last one I think proves it's time to step back and untangle a few sailor's knots. (As Abe once put it, when you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on! [rueful chuckle, insert here...])

Dimhea, God rest his soul, would have had a fit, I believe, over that turnip tossing Witcher's Creed write-up!

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:28 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Finally, Vancouver's West of Hell has (slyly) turned around with a knicker-ripping sophomore...that said, I wouldn't have known, were it not for Hells' U's timely review...
(Sorry Gas, that coveted Ossuary write-up will have to wait; I'm way too fucked up and down and out to formulate any kind of thoughts or opinions, even the wigged out, galaxy-brained kind...my last one I think proves it's time to step back and untangle a few sailor's knots. (As Abe once put it, when you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on! [rueful chuckle, insert here...])

Dimhea, God rest his soul, would have had a fit, I believe, over that turnip tossing Witcher's Creed write-up!

It's a good one, I didn't even know about West Of Hell until I got the promo a couple weeks back, was wondering what Zimmers Hole's auspicious front man had been up to.

My reviews.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 pm 

Ah, yes, Zimmer's Hole -- how's that for a wryly suggestive moniker, eh?

(Truth be told, I wasn't too enthralled by the sample or two of theirs I gleaned...)

West of Hell, though? Awesome! Like I said in my review, (gosh, has it been 3 years already?!) the intricate, highly angular and cutting riff-work is akin to repeatedly stepping on that ole metaphorical rake left in the grass, thus getting shwonked full-on in the shnaut over and over again (and again!)...The solos are maniacally whipping and wizened whilst the bass duly shakes feathers from my tree, with its bashing slap momentum. Have you heard Spiral Empire at all yet? Check out the album's top dog, "Singularity", for ample (re) confirmation!

In any event, I'm on my way to purchase a shitty MP3 player at London Drugs (nice name) down the street (machine), so their new venture will be my first priority - along with some (The) Ossuary action, of course...

Ooh, ah! Just noticed TP's Blind Scryer review...the colorfully ribald cover alone has me sold!

(Also jotted down Crimson Altar and Crypt Sermon as newfound doom worthies i.e. fetish finds for a new dark(ened) Age, what!

*Other coveted new release bonuss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3yZaEvF3YA

(Ho! Ho! Ho!)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:56 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

No bones about it, The new Ossuary is a humdinger. Jaunty as hell and doomy as fuck. But there's no rush for a review, so I'm content to know if you've got in your earholes and are enjoying it.

Actually just encountered West of Hell myself on a promo list and saw your audaciously rated 99% for the debut. Might check out the sophomore since Mr Unicorn digs it.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Spoonerisms, mayhaps?

Only in Gamma Ray reviews. Or reviews for Metallica's Cunning Stunts video.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:08 pm 

Yes, Gaz, do so if, you can, that is, dig out W. of Sumerlands' sof'more --

(I really need to get re-connected with a web site purveyor/metal/rock site again, to hear full album versions, instead of tiddly wink u-turntube vids)

Also check out the Canadian doom band Smoulder, as their latest, Times Of Obscene Evil And Wild Daring, looks, sounds and feels incredible, its beautiful cover art withstanding.

Furthermore, the new Midnight Dice, w/MM of Satan's Shallow, rocks harder than the (bloodstone) Hope diamond, and just as ominously. (good line for a potential review, eh?)...

From there (and the members listing) I moved on to Black Sites, which looks hard and groovy, too. A couple s-antlers at the noob as well... (sorry about the pidgin English there)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:50 pm 

droneriot wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Spoonerisms, mayhaps?

Gamma Ray? Which ones pray tell?

As for Cunning Stunts, my sister walked right into that one the first time she saw the title. My mum was a little surprised at the kind of media we were consuming.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:23 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
droneriot wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Spoonerisms, mayhaps?

Gamma Ray? Which ones pray tell?

The infamous "Ramma Gay" one no doubt. I've heard that one done to death since I first got into their music back in 2000, annoys the fuck out of me whenever somebody does that one too considering most of the people who do it then proceed to lecture me about how horrible it is to make gay jokes. :-P

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

No bones about it, The new Ossuary is a humdinger. Jaunty as hell and doomy as fuck. But there's no rush for a review, so I'm content to know if you've got in your earholes and are enjoying it.

Actually just encountered West of Hell myself on a promo list and saw your audaciously rated 99% for the debut. Might check out the sophomore since Mr Unicorn digs it.

It's a solid album, a little different than what you'd might expect. I might have guessed that it would have sounded similar to a typical Mystic Prophecy album given the hybrid sub-genre they play in, but having some familiarity with the singer's other band Zimmers Hole, I figured there'd be a bit more of an extreme metal element mixed in.

My reviews.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:46 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
The infamous "Ramma Gay" one no doubt. I've heard that one done to death since I first got into their music back in 2000, annoys the fuck out of me whenever somebody does that one too considering most of the people who do it then proceed to lecture me about how horrible it is to make gay jokes. :-P

Oh god. I've obviously made a wise life decision in never starting a conversation with these people.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:01 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

Oh god. I've obviously made a wise life decision in never starting a conversation with these people.

Not to veer off topic too much, but the singer of my old band used to make that spoonerism constantly to mess with me because he knew I was a Gamma Ray fan, which was doubly ironic considering that he was the gayest guy I've ever known. Now, at the time he would make gay jokes constantly and throw around the "F" word that's also used to refer to a cigarette like it was his last name, but nowadays he's done a complete 180 and is so tightly PC that if you're straight you might as well just start punching yourself in the balls while in his presence. :lol:

My reviews.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
start punching yourself in the balls

I think I'd do that instead of having the conversation. Really glad my sister isn't that smart with things like that, because I think she's the only one who knows I'm a Gamma Ray fan irl.

I'm interested to see a newish reviewer named Petrus_Steele methodically canning all of Whitechapel's discography. If this is really the ghost of Pete Steele, he clearly hasn't lost his weird sense of humour.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:08 pm 

Storm, great write-up for that new Hellripper EP...The first few seconds of the title track reeled me in like a fish.
I suppose you wanted to stoutly plant yourself down at a thou even for a spell, eh?

Oh, and I've been meaning to exclaim, a few weeks ago, a buddy came across a Midnight shirt and let me have it once I told him how much I dug this far-flung and ribald, Buckeye band. How cool is that? It's navy blue and a bit small, with its own idiomatic design, apart from any of its album covers...my sole metal shirt, as well as first in a rat's age. (Sickle swipe here)

Chairs!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:23 pm 

My plan was to stop at 1000, but I got guilted into this one! Not really, but I honestly couldn’t pass up spouting a few words about that rager. As far as the Midnight shirt, tighter is always better.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:38 am 

Onward to 2000? :)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:51 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
My plan was to stop at 1000, but I got guilted into this one! Not really, but I honestly couldn’t pass up spouting a few words about that rager. As far as the Midnight shirt, tighter is always better.

There is an old quote attributed to Beethoven in an early 90s Canadian film retrospective that states "Music is not something you can just quit", I've become increasingly fond of either using it or paraphrasing it whenever reviewing a band that has recently reformed and put out material after a long hiatus. I think the same generally applies to reviewing your favorite music. You may become too busy to maintain the same output, but the bands you follow will continue to put out material, and giving one's opinion on it is in the blood.

Speaking for myself, I'll stop reviewing either when I'm unable to type, dead, or every metal band decides to hang it up and there is nothing left to review. :lol:

My reviews.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
TheStormIRide wrote:

There is an old quote attributed to Beethoven in an early 90s Canadian film retrospective that states "Music is not something you can just quit", I've become increasingly fond of either using it or paraphrasing it whenever reviewing a band that has recently reformed and put out material after a long hiatus. I think the same generally applies to reviewing your favorite music. You may become too busy to maintain the same output, but the bands you follow will continue to put out material, and giving one's opinion on it is in the blood.

Speaking for myself, I'll stop reviewing either when I'm unable to type, dead, or every metal band decides to hang it up and there is nothing left to review. :lol:

You know, I've really never considered how long I'll keep doing this. I guess everyone thinks, "Ah, I'll do it while I'm young/not married/childless/under 40/long-haired and not bald/not yet a grandparent," and then look back and think, "Ah fuck it, I'll do it till I die." There's not really an end date to loving music, but I could conceivably think of a time when I'm not into reviewing anymore, a time when the music is just enough by itself.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:15 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
a time when the music is just enough by itself.

That’s pretty much where I’m at in this point of my life. I don’t have much spare time anymore and I’d rather spend it just listening to music or doing something in real life than sitting in front of a computer. I imagine I’ll still contribute the odd review here and there (and participate in the challenges) but reviewing steadily just isn’t going to be my thing again.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:23 pm 

Starting a second PhD later this year which will take loads of my free time... already started preparing for it bit by bit. I'm posting a couple of more reviews by the end of this month, maybe at the beginning of the next one at the latest... and I'm done, pretty much.

For a while I mean...

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:51 pm 

bayern wrote:
Starting a second PhD later this year which will take loads of my free time... already started preparing for it bit by bit. I'm posting a couple of more reviews by the end of this month, maybe at the beginning of the next one at the latest... and I'm done, pretty much.

For a while I mean...

Pity, I was guessing that you'd be surpassing me and challenging autothrall's commanding total at the rate you've been going. At least you won't be hanging it up completely.

My reviews.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:43 pm 

I absolutely love that Colonel Para Bellum is doing reviews. Enjoying reading his takes on stuff.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:17 pm 

Reviewing is like herpes and diamonds...it lasts forever.

I'd love to review one a day and pull off sort of a killer and immortalizing Joe Dimaggio/Cal Ripken Jr. "iron man reviewing" record run, but, um, there's a check with reality around the bend...that's not to say I won't drop off the street machine from time to time whence a burning desire to "share" (NA style) makes itself felt!

Oh, and Gatekeeper, Judicator, and The Order of Chaos are waltzing by the ole (C)Rickshaw Theatre here in Vancouver at the end of the month, so I'll totally plan for that - haven't been to a show since a battle of the bands featuring Havok, Terrorizer and Skull Vultures back in '13...it'll be winsome, to say the least!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:46 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
a time when the music is just enough by itself.

That’s pretty much where I’m at in this point of my life. I don’t have much spare time anymore and I’d rather spend it just listening to music or doing something in real life than sitting in front of a computer. I imagine I’ll still contribute the odd review here and there (and participate in the challenges) but reviewing steadily just isn’t going to be my thing again.

A lot of it comes down to time and priorities I think. Of course music is a hugely important thing in my life, but I'd much sooner cut out writing about it than listening to it and enjoying that. At the moment, it's a way to connect closer to music and the metal scene in general, though maybe that won't always be the case.

Knowing that you're still around is good though. I read a lot of your enthusiastic comments on TMO's Facebook group, but just can't reply from here.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Pity, I was guessing that you'd be surpassing me and challenging autothrall's commanding total at the rate you've been going. At least you won't be hanging it up completely.

Nah, never had even the remote intention on getting anywhere close to you two... I doubt if there ever will be anyone to challenge those numbers.

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:49 am 

I have never read the term "Slam" this many times within a few minutes. SLAM. TRUE SLAM. SLAM.

Thanks, deathmetal69_ & Cephalotripsy.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382 ... 428  Next