Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:59 pm 

droneriot wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Hecate_Enthroned/Embrace_of_the_Godless_Aeon/749820/hells_unicorn/29518

hells_unicorn just linking this to let you know you have import and export confused.

Thanks and fixed on the MA publication, gotta start proofreading my reviews more than one time, now I gotta send word to the editor on Sonic Perspectives on that glaring error.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:54 am 

Pleasantly exiled upon reading sweetleaf's Black Sites' review...*as well as the winsome (he,he!) Haunt write-up for If (Kid) Icarus Could Fly...

Which axman again is related to Black Sites, relative to that wholesome Chicago scene (i.e. Lethal Shock, Satan's Hallow, Midnight Dice)?

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:09 am 

> For an interesting thesis: UltraBoris' Master of Puppet's review.

the album's fine. I listened to it the other day.

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 am 

Wilytank wrote:
I just read UltraBoris's MoP review again.

fuck, I'm so sorry. I recommend against it.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:45 am 

UltraBoris wrote:

Hey man, never got to ask you this because I joined the site right around the time that you started taking your extended hiatus, but was your review/thesis on Master Of Puppets at least partially inspired by the 2003 MTV Icon episode that featured performances by Limp Bizkit, Avril Lavigne, Staind, et cetera? I took note that you were more critiquing Metallica's influence on the declining music scene than the specific album in question.

My reviews.

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:05 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
UltraBoris wrote:

Hey man, never got to ask you this because I joined the site right around the time that you started taking your extended hiatus, but was your review/thesis on Master Of Puppets at least partially inspired by the 2003 MTV Icon episode that featured performances by Limp Bizkit, Avril Lavigne, Staind, et cetera? I took note that you were more critiquing Metallica's influence on the declining music scene than the specific album in question.

you imply that I watch TV. I ought to cut your lungs off and yade yada and ... nah I've never had any time for lung-cutting or TV.

back to slamming Battery. why the fuck not.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:25 pm 

UltraBoris wrote:
you imply that I watch TV. I ought to cut your lungs off and yade yada and ... nah I've never had any time for lung-cutting or TV.

back to slamming Battery. why the fuck not.

I guess that makes sense, YouTube wasn't around back then and given the heavy amount of thrash albums you hit in relatively short order, you probably didn't have much time to lose IQ points watching MTV. Sadly I saw said abomination, and it did have a degree of influence on my review of said album.

Oh well, can't disagree on Battery. Say hello to Speedemon for me if you're still in contact with him, and let him know I'm still ruining MA with my reviews, lungs or no lungs. :-P

My reviews.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:51 pm 

I haven't been able to read any of the reviews yet, but simply seeing the scores for Petrus_Steele's Suffocation reviews is confusing me. Obviously I can get liking the original run of albums more than the reunion-era stuff, but going from the tied-for-lowest score for Despise the Sun, to the tied-for-highest score for Souls to Deny, to hating everything after that, even though Souls to Deny, the self-titled album, and Blood Oath are really not all that different from one another stylistically, is just kind of baffling.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:44 am 

Subrick wrote:
baffling

Don't you remember? That was our key word of 2018 regarding opinions on reviews.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:00 am 

Subrick wrote:
I haven't been able to read any of the reviews yet, but simply seeing the scores for Petrus_Steele's Suffocation reviews is confusing me. Obviously I can get liking the original run of albums more than the reunion-era stuff, but going from the tied-for-lowest score for Despise the Sun, to the tied-for-highest score for Souls to Deny, to hating everything after that, even though Souls to Deny, the self-titled album, and Blood Oath are really not all that different from one another stylistically, is just kind of baffling.

I've been keeping up with this guy's reviews here and there and though I disagree with a good chunk of his points, it's the writing itself that's baffling this reader. There's a serious inconsistency in quality. Some reviews seem labored over, others just tossed out, complaints run a gambit from some good explanation of 'Pierced from Within' to the weaker styles taken in the albums he hasn't liked. Don't get me wrong, I know he's just getting into it, but calling a Rivers of Nihil EP "One of the Best Death Metal EPs" and giving it a 90 then saying 'Human Waste' is "Probably the Best Death Metal EP" and giving it a 70 only fifteen days apart is pretty telling. It looks like he's very ambitious, that profile shows it as well, but he's filling his plate so heavily that he's sacrificing quality for quantity when tackling albums he may not be comfortable with.

It also seems English isn't his first language, the syntax issues are the only real consistency in these reviews, but I hope this one keeps growing as he goes, doesn't stagnate because at least being inconsistent shows that he's still finding what works best for him. This is one hungry reviewer, but slowing down a little, thinking out his ideas, and editing a little more now will help him in the longer run fulfilling that long list of discographies.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:46 am 

YES! MY FAVORITE WORD IS COMING BACK!

But I'm glad someone brought that writer up; I was considering doing so myself but honestly am not entirely sure what I think of them myself. They seem kinda hit or miss.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:30 am 

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed similarities between W.A.S.P. and Martin-era Sabbath. I doubt such parallels are intentional though as nobody seemed to be paying much attention to Sabbath's new material at the time. Great review, even if it's spelled Lynyrd Skynyrd.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed similarities between W.A.S.P. and Martin-era Sabbath. I doubt such parallels are intentional though as nobody seemed to be paying much attention to Sabbath's new material at the time. Great review, even if it's spelled Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Thanks for the heads up, I wrote that review on the fly and missed some spelling errors on some band names I was referencing, the Lynyrd Skynyrd spelling has been fixed. And yes, I don't necessarily think that the similarities were completely intentional between the Martin-era and that album. Most of the Sabbath-sounding songs on there are more comparable to Tyr's general sound (remarkably similar production quality) and Headless Cross came out a couple weeks after The Headless Children. I suppose it's possible that Blackie had heard either The Eternal Idol or Seventh Star at some point and that may have played a partial role in the album's sound, as there is only one degree of separation between W.A.S.P. and Tony Iommi via Chris Holmes' and Iommi's short-term relationships with Lita Ford. I think a small degree of cross-pollination between the two bands immediately following Into The Electric Circus is plausible, though obviously not as blatant as the nods to Maiden and Queensryche.

My reviews.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:16 pm 

Scruffily dug Mailman_'s dank, rank and tank (like) Nocturnal Whisper, er, I mean Hollow (Satan Hallow approved) review, as it's compelling me to set my sights on long-neglected D-Metal...

With track titles such as "Trapped In A Coffin" (ouch!), Rotten Skull, Master of Invidious - new word!! -, Spit The (5) Nails and Midnight Burial, how could I not (says Le Garrocheur de Chaises)...

Dig this erudite line of his, in regards to the similarity with Entombed, the Swede death n' roll go(t)-to band from days of yoor:

"This sound sticks to specifics, and Nocturnal Hollow do everything they can within that sound without stepping outside of it. It’s like there’s a box within a box and while they think outside of this innermost box, they do not think outside of the bigger box known as Swedish death metal. Unlike most modern Entombed clones, these guys actually remind me of the classic 1990s band."

So, here we are, Thursday, and seeing as nary a rivet head has posted a (jocose or sardonic) quip since my previous exhorted tumult (above) I think I shall laud felix1666's spot-on Riot_Fire Down Under review like the kingly symposium - not to mention utmost final word i.e. authority on the matter - that it is, even close to forty years after the fact (I was 2 and change when it spawned!); though I heartily agree, "Flashbacks", as ill-advised closer, clashes uncouthly while, yeah, wrangling Tior down in the low 80s, yet it's still a far mewl* from that "Lucky" lukewarm and tepid Restless Breed a year or two later.

*possible "mot-du-jour".

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:05 am 

Agree with most of what Twisted_Psychology said about both Grand Magus' Wolf God and Smoulder's debut. Would probably rate Wolf God a little bit lower, but otherwise completely agree in regards to the lack of memorable choruses and the lazy songwriting. Untamed is one of their greatest songs ever though!

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:45 pm 

@Chairthrower - thanks for your very kind words. Kingly Symposium, haha. Really nice.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 am 

That new review of Pleasure to Kill is like a response to the recent Coma of Souls review, and equally dumb.

Oliver731 wrote:
The lyrics here are more death metal oriented rather than traditional thrash metal focused, since most of it is death and brutal shit like that.

Yeah because in 1986 all the thrash bands were focused on societal and environmental issues, none of that mean stuff, unlike all those death metal bands pumping out evil stuff that year.

bayern: Love the Living Death Protected from Reality review, something I bought when it came out thanks to words like "necrophiliac" and "infanticide" in the song titles. :lol:
"Natures Death" sounds like if Nazareth if they suddenly went super heavy and evil thanks to those vocals. Always liked that album.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:11 am 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
That new review of Pleasure to Kill is like a response to the recent Coma of Souls review, and equally dumb.

Why does everybody feel the need to pick on classic Kreator and Dark Angel albums whenever they want to put out a dumb ass contrarian review anyway? Can't somebody actually pick on some albums that are actually bad?

My reviews.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 pm 

Dark Angel are actually bad. Their "popularity" is mostly just a meme started by UltraBoris.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:32 pm 

Hey BastardHead! It's good to see that your taste isn't always completely shitty! A+ Hellripper review.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:44 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
bayern: Love the Living Death Protected from Reality review, something I bought when it came out thanks to words like "necrophiliac" and "infanticide" in the song titles. :lol:
"Natures Death" sounds like if Nazareth if they suddenly went super heavy and evil thanks to those vocals. Always liked that album.

Cheers man; yeah, with a band name and song-titles like these one would think this is some young over-enthusiastic death/proto-death metal cohort... and it turns out that it's anything but...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:02 am 

BastardHead's Enforcer review is basically what I wanted to say about that album. However, I didn't want to be reminded of how those guys have suddenly fallen from grace for about 1,500 words. My review will just read:

Sorry. It's not fast.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:25 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
BastardHead's Enforcer review is basically what I wanted to say about that album. However, I didn't want to be reminded of how those guys have suddenly fallen from grace for about 1,500 words. My review will just read:

Sorry. It's not fast.

Listened to their "Evil Attacker" demo the other day... these guys are one of the finest examples of the "downward trajectory" phenomenon. I would suggest they change the album-title to "Nadir"...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 am 

Everybody sure is on a WASP kick lately, eh?

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:57 am 

Came here to talk about that, although I'm always on a WASP kick. Gotta disagree with Felix though; I think Babylon is incredible, even better than Golgotha. The record before that, Dominater, is kinda meh though. His descriptions of Babylon is how I'd describe Dominater.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:15 am 

I like Babylon quite a bit myself. Two covers feel superfluous but it's a fun listen, especially for late era Blackie at the height of his Jesus crazy.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 am 

For sure. And I also think that he pulled off the Burn cover excellently.

The only WASP record that I think is flat out bad is Helldorado.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:35 pm 

It's been an on again/off again thing with me, but I had been listening to their pre-2000s catalog pretty heavily for the past year. I also count myself as a pretty big fan of the later stuff, and I'm kind of torn between Helldorado or KFD being their weakest album, though I think I hold the former in slightly higher esteem than SweetLeaf does. I should be jumping into more of W.A.S.P.'s remaining 90s material fairly soon, though I've been on a bit of a late-80s heavy/speed metal kick lately as well and will probably be hitting more of that stuff fairly soon.

My reviews.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:48 pm 

Hot take: I actually love KFD because of how dark and fucking disgusting it is.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:38 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Hot take: I actually love KFD because of how dark and fucking disgusting it is.

My version of weakest in a W.A.S.P. context isn't that weak actually, I'd argue that KFD is a stronger album than most of the industrial stuff I heard during that time period, I'm just kinda lukewarm on the sub-genre as a whole. From a theatrics standpoint, KFD is probably the most overtly shocking thing ever to be performed live, it's borderline snuff theater that is arguably only rivaled by movies like Murder Set Pieces. But outside of a live context, it doesn't have the same impact.

My reviews.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:59 pm 

W.A.S.P. is one of the board's darling bands in an under the radar way. They aren't brought up outright like Bolt Thrower or other big bands but there exist many fans in these forums that hold the group in pretty high esteem. They've got a few different eras and remained quite consistent through most of it unlike many of their contemporaries. Blackie's decision to go heavier and darker as opposed to glammier and lighter certainly cemented their heavy metal-ness in case anyone tried to dispute it. It also gave way to a late 80s / 90s period that brought another dimension to a band that the previous decade were lumped with bands that would have never gone into such territory.

I wouldn't totally agree with Felix's Babylon review but I see where the points come from about Blackie becoming really weighted down by his born-again values, lyrics, and repetitious melodies / riffs. That kind of stuff I started hearing all the way back in the 80s material but it started to really manifest itself in the 00s. I still dig those post-2000 works though, especially Dying for the World which I'd put as Blackie's last phenomenal album. Everything after that was at the very least a good album (I haven't heard Golgotha).

I can't tell if Blackie's going to keep on going since albums are getting sparse and he looks like a pasty sack of potatoes. He used to look like a beast!

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:25 pm 

Good to see the discussion about WASP. The different opinions are interesting to read, but the pictures of B. L. are really cruel. Does anybody know the exact day he lost his - metallic - dignity?

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:14 am 

This new 25% review by Lord_of_Diamonds for Cannibal Corpse's "Bloodthirst" is just one long, loud, heartbroken cry about how they went modern and how much he hates that. Calling Jack Owen "technically limited" is also plain wrong in my book.

I generally feel that there's a tendency to bash renowned albums just for the sake of it these days...

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
I generally feel that there's a tendency to bash renowned albums just for the sake of it these days...

Especially from the reviewer in question.

Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:42 am 

Felix 1666 wrote:
Good to see the discussion about WASP. The different opinions are interesting to read, but the pictures of B. L. are really cruel. Does anybody know the exact day he lost his - metallic - dignity?

I'd question that he ever did, at least no more than Peter Steele or Dave Mustaine did when they shifted their respective ideological/lyrical directions (my opinion is none of them lost anything, especially in the case of Peter Steele). As far as how Blackie looks today, partying hard tends to age you more quickly than not, and if that little "Pepsi Enema" story with Nikki Sixx is any indication, Blackie may well have drank Scotland under the table on multiple occasions back in the old days.

My reviews.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:46 am 

LoD is especially bad right now. Kinda wish he'd read the forums some time to realize nobody is impressed with his big brain takes and we all kinda wish he'd stop.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:47 am 

Those WASP reviews make me want to go listen to them again; been ages.

And yeah, Lord of Diamonds is gonna be super embarrassed by this stuff in a few years. My favorite is his take on lyrics - "why aren't they describing rape EVEN MORE GRAPHICALLY???" So silly.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
LoD is especially bad right now. Kinda wish he'd read the forums some time to realize nobody is impressed with his big brain takes and we all kinda wish he'd stop.

I can only imagine how proud of himself he was with his sine wave comment.

untappd: patrick_g

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:52 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I can only imagine how proud of himself he was with his sine wave comment.

Pity nobody in their right mind would cosine to its applicability. (bad math pun intended, feel free to start chucking tomatoes at me now)

My reviews.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 pm 

I'm trying to figure out where Aurora Rider is going with this Immortal review series of theirs. I prefer the band's later albums myself so I get if that's the angle they're coming from, but all these negative reviews seem kinda redundant if they aren't really going somewhere. That said, they're infinitely more constructive than the crap Lord of Diamonds is spewing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385 ... 387  Next