Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raspberrysoda
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:51 pm
Posts: 890
Location: Edgystan
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:13 am 
 

Napalm's new review for AJFA was a good read. His style changed, and for the better.
_________________
does it djent?

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Stonectomy - Brutal Slamming Stoner Doom (new EP out NOW!)

Top
 Profile  
Cat III
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am
Posts: 281
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am 
 

How does someone write a 1,500 word review of a Mortician album and yet fail to mention it contains a Pungent Stench cover?
_________________
1st wave is best wave.
-
Latest Review: All Hell - The Witch's Grail

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4526
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:02 am 
 

If the new Amon Amarth is a 10%, then I'm gonna go ahead and assume the Graveyard Classics are around -50%.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 am 
 

Lord Of Diamonds is absolute trash.
_________________
"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

Top
 Profile  
Cat III
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am
Posts: 281
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:51 am 
 

Okay, LoD has gone too far. Abigail a 19%? Fuck off!
_________________
1st wave is best wave.
-
Latest Review: All Hell - The Witch's Grail

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 am 
 

Speaking of Lord_of_Diamonds, that fucking Abigail review of his sucked. It's a bunch of contrarian "Look at how cool I am for hating this classic album!" nonsense. Doesn't help that it has some TrooperEd-esq complete falseness in it, like saying that the general sound of the album is a big Iron Maiden ripoff, or that the solos sound like deathcore, or that the drums are extremely basic four-on-the-floor patterns, or that King Diamond's use of falsetto must indicate a lack of manliness (that's always been one of my favorite anti-King Diamond arguments). The whole thing is a monument to completely not understanding an album in any way, shape, or form, but still trying to write a review on it just to do it.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26372
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:59 am 
 

He probably gets off on the controversy - he's obviously only writing these as a way to be a pointless edge lord contrarian. There's really no worthwhile content in that review. He's just a dumb kid who wants to look cool.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm
Posts: 274
Location: Land of No Return
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:59 am 
 

On close examination, his review gives away an intense misunderstanding of metal history. First of all, the beginning would suggest that he just encountered King Diamond for his first time within the last week. His suggestion that the entire album was lifted from the "Iron Maiden/NWOBHM playbook" would suggest he doesn't see the obvious difference between said style's epic, whimsical harmonies and the dark ones used by LaRoque and Denner.

Oh, and his suggestion that the "evil"-sounding "Funeral" should lead into blackened death metal is hysterical. Because, as the rest of us know, there was no such thing.
_________________
MisanthropicEvil wrote:
This album reeled me in with it's eye-catching album cover but vomited a whole load of musical diarrhea in my face as soon as I started listening! I would not even use this album to wipe my butt.


Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 pm 
 

He seems like one of those "Wikipedia metal" people, as if the entirety of his metal knowledge came from the genre labels of albums on Wikipedia, plus copious amounts of crappy VH1 documentaries that rewrite metal history to omit various important bands while emphasizing bands that are nowhere near as important as they are heralded as by the documentary.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm
Posts: 274
Location: Land of No Return
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:10 pm 
 

How is it that this guy has written only 20 reviews and has single-handedly managed to piss me off more than all the other terrible reviewers combined?

The profile of Lord_of_Diamonds wrote:
THINGS I LOVE:

-Unique-sounding bands. The underground metal scene is rife with bands that sound exactly the same, and I like to actually be able to tell what band I'm listening to.

-Writing negative reviews that are in direct opposition to the positive ones written by clueless fanboys. There's some part of us that pays more attention to opinions that are the opposite of ours, and if they're shoved in our face long enough, we start to believe them.


So he only likes mainstream and easily recognizable bands, and he likes claiming that classic albums (many of which might not sound the best, but are of massive historical importance) suck.
_________________
MisanthropicEvil wrote:
This album reeled me in with it's eye-catching album cover but vomited a whole load of musical diarrhea in my face as soon as I started listening! I would not even use this album to wipe my butt.


Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!


Last edited by EzraBlumenfeld on Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:15 pm 
 

From his MA profile, listed under things loves:

Quote:
-Writing negative reviews that are in direct opposition to the positive ones written by clueless fanboys. There's some part of us that pays more attention to opinions that are the opposite of ours, and if they're shoved in our face long enough, we start to believe them.


So yeah, he's literally just doing this to get attention.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26372
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:20 pm 
 

Should have been obvious. Just quit paying attention to those reviews - they are really without any basis in reality or merit at all anyway.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:10 pm
Posts: 414
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:44 pm 
 

Great jobz on the Idle Hands_Mana reviews, kids ("twisted leaf" combo, haha!)...


Nice one:
"Idle Hands of Portland, Oregon successfully emulated that mopey danceability on their 2018 EP, Don’t Waste Your Time, and their first full-length album Mana examines the style even further to excellent effect."

The reference to In Solitude's Sister is spot-on, as well.

Duly, only Idle Hands could pull off a record imbued with such genial, crystalline flair and accessibility...paradoxically infused, no less, with classy despondence, zest and elan!

(Just about to sneak up on that exalted-ly exhumed and perfumed Spirit Adrift write-up, too...).


Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Fri May 10, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:47 pm 
 

I regret nothing.
_________________
"Rock is a dying form of music... now let's bring it back."
Vadara wrote:
How can something be riffless slam when a slam, by definition, is a metal riff?

https://therealdiamond02.bandcamp.com/ - My project - Metalcore Melding Mayhem

Top
 Profile  
Element_man
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:37 am
Posts: 894
Location: Vancouver, Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm 
 

I haven't clicked on the Review section of the forums in a literal decade but reading that Lord_of_Diamonds review of Abigail was one of the worst things I've seen in ages and I had to make sure I wasn't the only one. Hats-off, sir.
_________________
Gatekeeper
Heavy Metal. No new shit.

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:11 pm 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I regret nothing.


How could you? This is exactly what you wanted, right? But having said that, thank you for bringing Spectral Resonanze to my attention, I found their variant of melodeath to be fairly enjoyable.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:19 pm 
 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I regret nothing.


How could you? This is exactly what you wanted, right? But having said that, thank you for bringing Spectral Resonanze to my attention, I found their variant of melodeath to be fairly enjoyable.

What I wanted was to bring my voice to the table. I listened, I formed an opinion, and decided to write about it. Does an album with an abnormally high rating really need another 100? I had to make my own voice heard. My intention is not to troll, “trigger” anybody, or anything like that, and if my writings have done any of those things, then I remind you that they are merely opinions. If people decide to react to it strongly, then it’s their decision.

“The extreme always tends to make an impression.” -J.D.
_________________
"Rock is a dying form of music... now let's bring it back."
Vadara wrote:
How can something be riffless slam when a slam, by definition, is a metal riff?

https://therealdiamond02.bandcamp.com/ - My project - Metalcore Melding Mayhem

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4526
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:23 pm 
 

A contrarian opinion usually works out better if it isn't driven by attacking the musicians involved based on what sounds like a solitary listen.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2682
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:40 pm 
 

This board, including its senior members, has a well-documented history of being trolled into oblivion by the most bottom-of-the-barrel dregs seeking negative attention (bitterman, Kruel, etc.). You guys need to stop responding/reacting in a way that enables this behavior. The answer is slapping you in the face: ignore it. Stop coming back to the feeding grounds. Don't make a post, don't make a ham-fisted reaction, don't take the bait. This is too easy. Be better.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Top
 Profile  
SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:46 pm 
 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Great jobz on the Idle Hands_Mana reviews, kids ("twisted leaf" combo, haha!)...


Agreed, pay more attention to this ;)
_________________
"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 1781
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 pm 
 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
This board, including its senior members, has a well-documented history of being trolled into oblivion by the most bottom-of-the-barrel dregs seeking negative attention (bitterman, Kruel, etc.). You guys need to stop responding/reacting in a way that enables this behavior. The answer is slapping you in the face: ignore it. Stop coming back to the feeding grounds. Don't make a post, don't make a ham-fisted reaction, don't take the bait. This is too easy. Be better.


I disagree, one of my favorite aspects of this side of the forum is watching people roast edgy tryhard losers like Kruel, alexlovestheredchord, etc...regardless of their intentions, their actions are pathetic, childish, and embarrassing and deserve to be mocked relentlessly for our enjoyment :lol:.

And besides, if Lord_of_Diamonds truly enjoys seeing people laugh at him and call him a retard - who are we to deny him that right :lol:? He's literally asking for it!
_________________
"My lifestyle, determines my deathstyle"

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:43 pm 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What I wanted was to bring my voice to the table. I listened, I formed an opinion, and decided to write about it. Does an album with an abnormally high rating really need another 100? I had to make my own voice heard. My intention is not to troll, “trigger” anybody, or anything like that, and if my writings have done any of those things, then I remind you that they are merely opinions. If people decide to react to it strongly, then it’s their decision.

“The extreme always tends to make an impression.” -J.D.


Nah, I've been writing for far too long to fall for this crap, and you're not really helping your lame premise here with that self-aggrandizing little quote tacked onto the end. If your reviews read like you were even mildly informed on the albums that you were trashing, that would be one thing, but you're basically the latest bitterman, you can peruse his drivel at your earliest convenience if you are not already familiar with his handiwork.

And for the record, selecting stuff to rip on simply because it is highly rated is the textbook definition of trolling, and there is no such thing as too many high ratings if the album is actually that good. If you really think that albums like Abigail and Coma Of Souls are lousy, you could try making a convincing case, which would be the opposite of referencing the deathcore style in an album that was released almost 20 years before there was such a thing.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 8196
Location: York, North Yorkshire
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:02 am 
 

LoD's reviews have a distinct air of "writing in the library at lunchtime because no one speaks to me at school" about them.
_________________
'Sometimes you have to be a bigot in order to beat bigger bigots' - G. Marenghi.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Top
 Profile  
CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:55 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Austria
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:54 am 
 

It's a shame that crap like this is even being discussed.

There's a great bunch of fine reviewers on here that deserve time in the spotlight, not i'm-so-tough-but-why-is-my-momma-ma-only-friend wannabe-"writers".

I prefer to learn from those with skill and ignore the trolls.

...and yet I'm falling for this shit. Argh.
_________________
Heavy/Gothic Metal with RIFFS. From Austria.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Top
 Profile  
DesecratorJ
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:07 am
Posts: 24
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:56 am 
 

Shiting on Abigail is blasphemy. It's one of those album that you can't tell shit about. If the album has that much praise from people, it's not from pure hasard. ffs.
_________________
My active Last.fm account

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:31 pm 
 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
It's a shame that crap like this is even being discussed.

There's a great bunch of fine reviewers on here that deserve time in the spotlight, not i'm-so-tough-but-why-is-my-momma-ma-only-friend wannabe-"writers".

I prefer to learn from those with skill and ignore the trolls.

...and yet I'm falling for this shit. Argh.


Well, not to toot my own horn, but I just had a really good conversation with Cederick Forsberg (Blazon Stone, Rocka Rollas, ect.) after he read the reviews I put together for the first 2 Blazon Stone albums. I'm probably going to hit the rest of said band's discography and more of his other projects pretty soon, a big part of why I started writing was on the off chance that I'd get to interact with the people behind the music I love.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:55 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Austria
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:04 pm 
 

hells_unicorn wrote:

Well, not to toot my own horn, but I just had a really good conversation with Cederick Forsberg (Blazon Stone, Rocka Rollas, ect.) after he read the reviews I put together for the first 2 Blazon Stone albums. I'm probably going to hit the rest of said band's discography and more of his other projects pretty soon, a big part of why I started writing was on the off chance that I'd get to interact with the people behind the music I love.


That is indeed one of the pros of being a reviewer :-) also - fun fact - today is the day where I got to listen to two separate Blazon Stone albums ("No Sign of Glory" and "Down in the Dark") for the first time. Have only read about them in the past but due to having an extensive Running Wild run this weekend and not enough RW songs to satisfy my needs, I had a look at their discography and chose a few samples to start off the ride. Could not quite handle Georgi Peychev's vocals; not enough vigor and gravel in there, too far removed from Rolf to fit the massive worship, but Erik Forsberg did fare a lot better, according to my ears.

Also felt a lot more Pile of Skulls/Black Hand Inn/Masquerade influence on "Down in the Dark" which is exactly what I wanted. Perhaps I need to prepare a review.

Traveler's self-titled has also grown on me a lot. CHAIRTHROWER's insistence is responsible for that growth ^^
_________________
Heavy/Gothic Metal with RIFFS. From Austria.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:45 pm 
 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What I wanted was to bring my voice to the table. I listened, I formed an opinion, and decided to write about it. Does an album with an abnormally high rating really need another 100? I had to make my own voice heard. My intention is not to troll, “trigger” anybody, or anything like that, and if my writings have done any of those things, then I remind you that they are merely opinions. If people decide to react to it strongly, then it’s their decision.

“The extreme always tends to make an impression.” -J.D.


Nah, I've been writing for far too long to fall for this crap, and you're not really helping your lame premise here with that self-aggrandizing little quote tacked onto the end. If your reviews read like you were even mildly informed on the albums that you were trashing, that would be one thing, but you're basically the latest bitterman, you can peruse his drivel at your earliest convenience if you are not already familiar with his handiwork.

And for the record, selecting stuff to rip on simply because it is highly rated is the textbook definition of trolling, and there is no such thing as too many high ratings if the album is actually that good. If you really think that albums like Abigail and Coma Of Souls are lousy, you could try making a convincing case, which would be the opposite of referencing the deathcore style in an album that was released almost 20 years before there was such a thing.


Historical importance be damned. I didn't bother listening to the album several times over because I don't like its style (or lack thereof). When I said the thing about deathcore, I said that the solo style (which incoporates diminished scales) REMINDED me that technical deathcore exists. I did not say that the solos are influenced by deathcore or anything like that. I know full well that deathcore was far from being invented at that point. I simply despise technical deathcore, and take every opportunity to shit on it. What would you have me do? Write nothing but positive reviews?

And yes, I am familiar with Bitterman, and he's one of my favorite reviewers. His searing wit is unmatched, and he could turn any clueless fanboy against their favorite album. Hell, he even turned me against some of my favorite albums.

Cue the people who will build off this statement and proceed to shit on me some more.
_________________
"Rock is a dying form of music... now let's bring it back."
Vadara wrote:
How can something be riffless slam when a slam, by definition, is a metal riff?

https://therealdiamond02.bandcamp.com/ - My project - Metalcore Melding Mayhem

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Historical importance be damned.


Not that you care, but a writer having an attitude like this has zero business reviewing anything that was released more than 10 years ago, in my humble opinion of course.

Quote:
I didn't bother listening to the album several times over because I don't like its style (or lack thereof).


You could have listened to the album seven hundred times and the words you published wouldn't have come off as any more informed.

Quote:
When I said the thing about deathcore, I said that the solo style (which incoporates diminished scales) REMINDED me that technical deathcore exists. I did not say that the solos are influenced by deathcore or anything like that. I know full well that deathcore was far from being invented at that point. I simply despise technical deathcore, and take every opportunity to shit on it. What would you have me do? Write nothing but positive reviews?


I don't think there's a way to say this politely, but you might do well to consider that nobody other than you gives two fucks what an album "REMINDS you of", especially if it involves making a dubious analogy that will be interpreted as anachronistic whether you intended it to be or not. I have a pretty healthy number of reviews with 0 scores in my collection myself, the issue isn't that you are trashing the album in my estimation, it's that your review is loaded with ham-fisted statements like the one under consideration.

Quote:
And yes, I am familiar with Bitterman, and he's one of my favorite reviewers. His searing wit is unmatched, and he could turn any clueless fanboy against their favorite album. Hell, he even turned me against some of my favorite albums.


This makes perfect sense, actually, I was almost toying with the idea that you were bitterman under a new account. Having said that, I'm not sure what parallel universe you just slipped into, but I'd safely conclude that very few people other than you were ever convinced of anything by his directionless screeds. Earlier versions of him on this site (his crap isn't original, it's a slight variant on the ANUS/deathmetal.org excrement that's been floating in the sewer section of the metal community for well over a decade) taught me how not to write reviews, but apart from that, he isn't teaching anybody anything. I'd go so far as to say that you stating that he turned you against some of your favorite albums is one of the more awkward examples of self-pwnage I've ever heard of.

Quote:
Cue the people who will build off this statement and proceed to shit on me some more.


If you're going to continue this "internet edge lord" approach to reviewing, I'd suggest either getting some thicker skin or reassessing your approach. This passive/aggressive routine is along the lines of somebody kicking a hornet's nest and then complaining that he got stung in response.

Anyway, I've done my obligatory troll-feeding duties for this year, I apologize to everyone for dragging this out as long as I did, live and learn I suppose.

I'd like to give a shoutout to deathmetal69 for his review of the new Possessed album, I've been rocking the promo for the past couple weeks and have been struggling to put together a writeup of it for Sonic Perspectives. Looking forward to reading more of his stuff.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)


Last edited by hells_unicorn on Sun May 12, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Napalm_Satan
One-Trick Pony

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm
Posts: 3226
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:29 pm 
 

raspberrysoda wrote:
Napalm's new review for AJFA was a good read. His style changed, and for the better.


Thank you.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26372
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 pm 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Historical importance be damned. I didn't bother listening to the album several times over because I don't like its style (or lack thereof). When I said the thing about deathcore, I said that the solo style (which incoporates diminished scales) REMINDED me that technical deathcore exists. I did not say that the solos are influenced by deathcore or anything like that. I know full well that deathcore was far from being invented at that point. I simply despise technical deathcore, and take every opportunity to shit on it. What would you have me do? Write nothing but positive reviews?

And yes, I am familiar with Bitterman, and he's one of my favorite reviewers. His searing wit is unmatched, and he could turn any clueless fanboy against their favorite album. Hell, he even turned me against some of my favorite albums.

Cue the people who will build off this statement and proceed to shit on me some more.


This will probably be like talking to a wall, but your review was bad because it showed that you don't know all that much about the style (the referencing of Iron Maiden and saying the music is derivative, when really 80s metal at that time was all along those broad lines and the album does not sound that much like Maiden) and don't like the fundamental aspects of the style (you hate the reverb, the high pitched vocals, the lack of more modern extreme qualities.) It's essentially worthless to anyone else but yourself.

And lol if bitterman's reviews really did "turn you against some of your favorites" - what a flimsy sense of conviction.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 471
Location: Behind the wall of fire
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 am 
 

My favourite part of all this is that someone whose username is Lord_of_Diamonds could go so long without knowing that a band called King Diamond exists. It’s like, “If Kim Bendix Petersen had thought of a different pseudonym, I could have rated the album higher!”

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6362
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:39 am 
 

On M-A, 19 positive reviews, 1 negative review, 93% average.

Consistently hailed by the vast majority of the metal community as one of the greatest metal albums of all time vs. one random guy saying it's not extreme enough therefore it's crap.

Gee whiz, I wonder which side is more likely to be correct.
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Liz and the Blue Bird!
Coming Up Next:
Mirai of the Future
After That: Mob Psycho 100 II and Martian Successor Nadesico

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 8196
Location: York, North Yorkshire
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

And yes, I am familiar with Bitterman, and he's one of my favorite reviewers. His searing wit is unmatched, and he could turn any clueless fanboy against their favorite album. Hell, he even turned me against some of my favorite albums.


:lol: I'm not sure which bit of this is the most amusing. :D
_________________
'Sometimes you have to be a bigot in order to beat bigger bigots' - G. Marenghi.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:44 am 
 

Maybe LoD IS bitterman?

*X-Files music plays loudly*
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 7908
Location: Lifeless shadows
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:19 am 
 

Subrick wrote:
Maybe LoD IS bitterman?

*X-Files music plays loudly*

Just a copycat murderer. bitterman wasn't exactly very original either, anyway.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."
Guitarist/vocalist in Illusions Dead - death/black metal
Vocalist in Gloaming - vile, crawling death/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4526
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:18 am 
 

If you can be "turned against your favorite albums," you probably didn't like them very deeply to begin with. Or you're very easily manipulated. Tomato tomahto.

hells_unicorn wrote:
Well, not to toot my own horn, but I just had a really good conversation with Cederick Forsberg (Blazon Stone, Rocka Rollas, ect.) after he read the reviews I put together for the first 2 Blazon Stone albums. I'm probably going to hit the rest of said band's discography and more of his other projects pretty soon, a big part of why I started writing was on the off chance that I'd get to interact with the people behind the music I love.


One of my favorite things about reviewing is being on both sides of this relationship. I've had a bunch of bands reach out to me regarding my coverage of their projects and I always find it flattering when people take the time to look at my own stuff. Thankfully it's all been positive interactions as far as I can recall.

Once Lavaborne's debut album is set for release, I'm sending Lord of Diamonds a promo. I need to know how much he'd hate it.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 am 
 

deathmetal69's take on the new Possessed was hard to read and sloppily written, but I do agree with their main point about it doing a good job at capturing Seven Churches with modern feels. I didn't like it quite as much as them, though. Mine should be up later this week.
_________________
"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

Top
 Profile  
SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm 
 

Also atomicmass's Enforcer review is pretty on point, and I agree with most of what they said. All except "they've never done this before." Anyone who says that clearly hasn't listened to Diamonds.
_________________
"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

Top
 Profile  
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 471
Location: Behind the wall of fire
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 am 
 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Also atomicmass's Enforcer review is pretty on point, and I agree with most of what they said. All except "they've never done this before." Anyone who says that clearly hasn't listened to Diamonds.

Diamonds didn't have a 6 minute piano ballad to be fair...

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group