Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tanuki
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:11 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Apparently, Intestine Baalism refers to the practice of divination from animal intestines. The name itself is a tad awkward, but it's a perfect match for their sound, as it combines the guttural world of Carcass with a darker, more mysterious atmosphere. Nothing quite describes that marriage of aesthetics as aptly as some heretic ritual involving animal guts. But that's just me!

Well shit, I learned something new today. That's definitely more creative than Euthanasia, I'll say that much, but I think the emotionally complex nature fits the previous name all the same. Thanks for clearing that up though, that's some interesting stuff.

Acrobat wrote:
Tanuki's definitely amongst the best active reviewers nowadays. I, too, have an awkward relationship with melodeath... he never writes, he never calls etc etc.

Thank you so much!

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:48 am 

Gas, spot-on analysis of Enforcer's first, notably the highlight references; if Into the Nuit is a one night fling, consider Diamonds a love-affair overlapping various other unions (i.e. the swingers' club variety). Eh? (From Beyond, then, is the dominatrix-controlled foray into [even] spicier climes...)

(Two days later...)

So, I've now officially ear - and nose! - marked, albeit somewhat ruefully due to its oh-too-colorful (gotta be PC here) album cover, Scorpions' Fly To The Rainbow to my in-exhaustive list of must-hear "gems", alongside The Crimson Idol and 7 Churches...skittles, anyone?

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:38 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Does anyone know what I mean, or am I just being ridiculous?

I know exactly what you mean, I deal with that on an almost weekly basis. Like "can I put album X over album Y despite liking Y a little better?" type stuff. I've changed scores on albums many times. Thankfully my descriptions almost never change (which is ultimately the important part), but how I react to it does.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Does anyone know what I mean, or am I just being ridiculous?

I know exactly what you mean, I deal with that on an almost weekly basis. Like "can I put album X over album Y despite liking Y a little better?" type stuff. I've changed scores on albums many times. Thankfully my descriptions almost never change (which is ultimately the important part), but how I react to it does.

I'm thinking about making some proper adjustments between what my review descriptions suggest to the actual reviews' content, as well as how I scored my reviews to avoid contradictory. I'm also thinking about wider but fewer paragraphs than more paragraphs with less than six lines. Also, in general, I may not like an album (in some cases it could be for the majority of its portion) but objectively I won't deny its quality, which is why it may look like I hate something despite giving it a respectable score. There's also the syntax, which I know I was criticized for when I just joined.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:28 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Gas, spot-on analysis of Enforcer's first, notably the highlight references; if Into the Nuit is a one night fling, consider Diamonds a love-affair overlapping various other unions (i.e. the swingers' club variety). Eh? (From Beyond, then, is the dominatrix-controlled foray into [even] spicier climes...)

And then there’s Zenith, which is an unhappy and unstable marriage...

In response to what Sweetie and Petrus wrote, I’m sometimes perturbed by the same thing, since I’m quite an objective person in a reviewing sense (barring a few notable exceptions), so I can grudgingly give a high score to something I don’t really like and dump on something I’m quite fond of. For instance, I actually prefer listening to Machine Head’s Supercharger than Testament’s The Legacy, but there’s no way I could rate the former higher on objective principles. My tastes may be illogical, but I don’t want that to confuse others.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 pm 

Hear, hear, and then you've the mondo-idiosyncratik likes of, hmm, Witchfyre and Skitzotik (dig it!) which, despite inherent flaws, ineluctably compel one to give them a fondly higher, pro-format sort of score...

...or summat!

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

In response to what Sweetie and Petrus wrote, I’m sometimes perturbed by the same thing, since I’m quite an objective person in a reviewing sense (barring a few notable exceptions), so I can grudgingly give a high score to something I don’t really like and dump on something I’m quite fond of. For instance, I actually prefer listening to Machine Head’s Supercharger than Testament’s The Legacy, but there’s no way I could rate the former higher on objective principles. My tastes may be illogical, but I don’t want that to confuse others.

You summed it up quite nicely. I used to be objective when I started my reviews, but my subjectivity dragged me down for like five months without paying attention that it looks like I'm giving an opinion than tell my point of view of the objective album's sound. Another thing I know I was criticized for was my descriptions: I gave Suffocation's first EP 70% and said it's the best death metal EP, yet gave Rivers of Nihil's second EP 90% and called it one of the EPs in the genre.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 pm 

I need help with some syntax, here (big surprise!)...

What looks/sounds better, opening this Antioch III review - and I know it's arcane, so don't expect me to throw the baby out with the bath water, or sum- -thing!

a) Perusing its gnarled disco(graphy) pages like knurled mages, we are, upon giving Antioch's sophomore full-length a cursory, chin-jabbing spin or so...

or

b) Perusing its gnarled disco(graphy) pages like knurled mages, we are, having given Antioch's sophomore full-length a cursory, chin-jabbing spin or so...

Thanks!

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:13 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
b) Perusing its gnarled disco(graphy) pages like knurled mages, we are, having given Antioch's sophomore full-length a cursory, chin-jabbing spin or so...

This sounds easy to spell.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 pm 

Great, thank you; I felt that would look better, but wanted a (wise) second hand opinion before proceeding with the edit...

The whole scoring shtick can be real befuddlin' at the best to times...After you've written x amount of reviews, however, it's as if you start getting a feel for it, sort of a seventh ("heavy metal rating") sense, if you will. Personally, I often waver between 70% and 90%, with the rarer lesser and over ones; ferinstance, I find I'm getting very picky regarding 94% + scores now, but feel a bit more at ease edging towards 60%...I still have a trouble - or pangs - giving the ole F- minus score i.e. less than 50%, but sometimes, they're duly warranted (I've a good candidate or two in Alcool and Gladiator, recent nwothm acts which fail to fully assuage, you know? In fact, they sort of bug me! Edai...(Italian colloquialism for "ah, life!...".)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:31 am 

Petrus_Steele wrote:
You summed it up quite nicely. I used to be objective when I started my reviews, but my subjectivity dragged me down for like five months without paying attention that it looks like I'm giving an opinion than tell my point of view of the objective album's sound. Another thing I know I was criticized for was my descriptions: I gave Suffocation's first EP 70% and said it's the best death metal EP, yet gave Rivers of Nihil's second EP 90% and called it one of the EPs in the genre.

I’ve learned to be careful with words like “best”. I always preface them with phrases like “one of the” or “possibly”, sometimes changing “best” to favourite or successful.

CHAIR, to answer your syntax question with one of my own: which tense does the rest of the sentence use? Because your two beginnings are two different tenses.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:07 am 

Like I said, this is why I focus more on the content itself and try not to worry about scores. The only time they'll fully stackup against eachother is within one discography. But outside of that, I could still prefer a lower rated album to a higher rated one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:28 am 

I score stuff based on however I feel like doing it... there's that impulse to go 'oh, I should score this lower/higher because of how I scored the other album,' but that's all a lot of convoluted stuff. I don't think anybody's really paying too close attention.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't think anybody's really paying too close attention.

That's honestly what I need to just get through my head. For whatever reason I imagine someone going "oh his scale makes no sense because he said ----" but you're definitely right. Overthinking is one of my biggest talents.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 am 

Gas, it is, syntax-wyse, which/whatever you want it to be...by the way, I've a request yo! Dig this slackened Chinese stoner/doom/new band submit outfit (two sizes too large):

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ki ... 3540459458

(Wry, laconic emoj here)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:09 pm 

Gas, it is, syntax-wyse, which/whatever you want it to be...by the way, I've a request yo! Dig this slackened Chinese stoner/doom/new band submit outfit (two sizes too large):

(Wry, bouche beee i.e. laconically shocked/surprised emoj here)

Note: Not that anybody will (likely) notice, but, due to fatigue and a shady cpu shake-down/freeze/partial draft erase-ment, sort of fudge-packed my latest A-Tiok write-up, but will try to amend things sooner or later...(You know it's time for a break when-)

"Edai!", as usual...

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:11 pm 

Really dug Larry's Toxic Holocaust writeup! Spot on!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:41 pm 

Voila! Fixed, albeit clumsily! (Just one more A-Team write up to polish 'er off, then it's break time 'til Halloween, for this musically traispsizing yegg....)

Again, gas, wadja think of China's King of Loaf-age, yes?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:25 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

(Wry, laconic emoj here)

Haha I really hope I didn’t teach them English! I’ll see if I can rustle up a quick listen to their album later on, especially if it’s floating downstream on one of my favourite listening sites.

NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 am 

I really am baffled with Silent Winter... Do they have a great PR team or something? Excerpt from my non-MA review for it:

The Greeks are known for many contributions to civilization, including democracy, western philosophy, and the Greek tragedy. This album falls under the third one.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:11 am 

Duly, gas, if you can, as well, email me a K of L sampler, potentially the title track, for obliged rueful/roomful shuffles...(as I doubt they're on lapsus tube)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:42 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Duly, gas, if you can, as well, email me a K of L sampler, potentially the title track, for obliged rueful/roomful shuffles...(as I doubt they're on lapsus tube)

Actually just found they have put the album on Bandcamp. Here's your delivery, sire.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm 

Ah, gifts...good! (Caveman-like shnuffling here...)

Thanks, petrol-man!

Speaking of, I just gifted myself with some WASP_Crimson Idle and Scorpyons- Vole envers l'arc-en-ciel (ciel!) ...hehehe! So, expect a full report, that is, forum-wise (possibly, one day, review-wise?) in their meritoriously flamboyant and/or colorful regards...(I've now P's 7 Churches to absorb, but as Mom is wont to say, "piano, piano", you know; which reminds, a word of wiz-dumb to the wyze: 'tis better, or more advantageous, to have a lobster on one's piano than a crab on their organ, although maybe I'm getting old and soft in the brain, having potentially already utilized this wrybald quip...(one of father's timely, john-pontifications)...

As well, slap-dash happy to glean write-ups for Guygaxe, in addition to By Fyre and Sworde,,,

Mitzhaps!

n.b. speaking of gifts, dig it! (only two more dayze!)

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... eel/786446

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... awn/790681 (THE ARTWORK BECKONS)

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:30 am 

Chair, I only ever approximately know what you mean around 50% of the time, but please never stop writing like that, I fucking love it.
Infant Annihilator are well known to sell their albums on Iron Maiden - Killers tapes that they recorded their stuff over. And they're in the process of figuring out how to burn over pressed Beherit and Darkthrone CDs.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:50 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Chair, I only ever approximately know what you mean around 50% of the time, but please never stop writing like that, I fucking love it.

It's like when you listen to some '50s rock 'n' roll singer free-styling scat lyrics. I end up wondering who's high - him or me?

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:13 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

Agreed

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:21 pm 

Haha...thanks...Actually, I came to the conclusion (here, institutionalized as I am amongst several super sensitive knobs) that lacking a "filter" whence writing is more or less behooved; in everyday, one-on-(n)one parlance, not so much...!

Speaking of guffawing jests, and this goes out specially to gas and doom porcupyne, fellow Kuenring enthusiasts, check out these whack singles on behalf of the thug-some Germans:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ree/803995
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ock/803998

It's really too bad they lack album art(work), however!
(Plus, the latter's lyrics are as Turgid as they get!)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:34 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Haha...thanks...Actually, I came to the conclusion (here, institutionalized as I am amongst several super sensitive knobs) that lacking a "filter" whence writing is more or less behooved; in everyday, one-on-(n)one parlance, not so much...!

Speaking of guffawing jests, and this goes out specially to gas and doom porcupyne, fellow Kuenring enthusiasts, check out these whack singles on behalf of the thug-some Germans:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ree/803995
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ock/803998

It's really too bad they lack album art(work), however!
(Plus, the latter's lyrics are as Turgid as they get!)

I know what you mean (maybe 80%) - sometimes it's good to go crazy and let it all out in writing, or in a situation when it doesn't really matter.

Really worried about 'Santa Cock', mostly because I can't tell if it's about what I think it is...or just a local name for St Nick.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:38 pm 

What the Hell were they on, coming up with such...festively ribald whimsy?! I wonder if that ditty will make it onto the sophomore full-length...(you know I'll be first in line if it does!)

Oh, as I leisurely peruse recent Scorpions/Thin Lizzy reviews (thanks bayern, for that colorful jaunt over the rainbow) can't help but smirk and bring up this classic (kind of) line of yours, here, at the bland behest of Crazy World:

"So, is the music shit? No, not really, but it's just so dry, like high quality crackers with nothing on top." Fittingly so, as such dry, dead-panned quipping brings tears to my eyes! (The wry bit about Winds of Change was spot-on, as well...Jolly good show, eh?)

And, now, minutes later am in awe of the following kick-ass pair of sentences, particularly the jocosely sardonic bit-metaphor, there:

"Therefore, if you aren't a fan of the softer stuff, you should probably find something to dig in 'Don't Believe Her' or 'Kicks After Six', the former of which is in the same sleazy ballpark (makin' out somewhere in right field) as the big hair bands of the time, while the latter ventures back to original rock 'n' roll in a fun yet skin-deep manner. Undoubtedly, critics must have frothed over both of them as "a band moving with the times" and "Scorpions going back to their roots"; nevertheless, they offer nothing in a creative sense, merely proving how easy it is for a capable band to tread water in the commercial swimming pool while an ocean of other possibilities await."

If I remember correctly, bought this album for a song, brand new, still in the wrapper, sometime in my late teens, from the bargain bin at Sam the Record Ham's...(Lo, all I recall, music-wise, is "Send Me An Angel". Edai.)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
What the Hell were they on, coming up with such...festively ribald whimsy?! I wonder if that ditty will make it onto the sophomore full-length...(you know I'll be first in line if it does!)

Are those singles new then? I feel it's a weird time to be releasing Christmas songs...just around Halloween. Maybe better kept to a limited release.

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Crazy World

If I remember correctly, bought this album for a song, brand new, still in the wrapper, sometime in my late teens, from the bargain bin at Sam the Record Ham's...(Lo, all I recall, music-wise, is "Send Me An Angel". Edai.)

All I remember right now, as I'm thinking of the album, is that bit with the whistling. Scorpions frustrate me so darn much.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:17 pm 

Actually, they're from Xmas '15; they were just added on this month, sometime.

(Phew!)

Ah, Scorpios! Just chugging down some Rainbow Flight (circa '74), and particularly dug 'Drifting Sun". To wit:

"Well, I'm sitting on a stone
Sitting all alone
Daisies are rolling down the mountain
Well see the lonesome tramp
Who's living in the damp
Nobody's in the valley
Shine on, shine on sun
Oh it's so cold right here
Shine on, shine on sun
Shine on all night long
All night long..."

A little non-plussed by its whimsical successor, but the leads are truly amazing, yeah?

(Also, crazy that Winds of Change remains [?] the country's top billing single of all time.)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 am 

Bayern's Fly to the Rainbow review was pretty great, probably my only differing opinions being I love Drifting Sun, and Speedy's Coming is in my bottom two of the album (along with Far Away), though not at all a bad song by any means.

Even though the title track is my all time favorite Scorpions song, it really warmed my heart Bayern's is This is My Song, which I think is also a fantastic song that somehow gets very overlooked.

Love what Bayern had to say about Fly People Fly too. Fucking fantastic leads by Uli.

A long time ago in the "Non-metal albums you'd give 100% to" thread in The Tavern I name-dropped this album as a possibility.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:44 pm 

For one who has as much credibility, experience, and knowledge of music as a reviewer as Hell’s Unicorn does, I’m surprised that he continues to praise Rings of Saturn. It’s weird that he conforms to the classic metalhead stereotype of despising alternative rock in its various forms, yet is surprisingly open-minded about modern deathcore and stuff like that.

Also, I enjoyed that 5Rand review. I discovered a band that I think is all right because of it.

https://therealdiamond02.bandcamp.com/ - My project - Formerly metalcore - now satire based on insipid slam, porngrind, etc.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:06 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
For one who has as much credibility, experience, and knowledge of music as a reviewer as Hell’s Unicorn does, I’m surprised that he continues to praise Rings of Saturn. It’s weird that he conforms to the classic metalhead stereotype of despising alternative rock in its various forms, yet is surprisingly open-minded about modern deathcore and stuff like that.

Read my Yngwie Malmsteen reviews, I have a soft spot for technical excellence (within reason, there is such a thing as too much), even if it involves a healthy amount of studio gimmicks. I despise most alternative rock because it bores me out of my own skull (that and the "yarl" vocal style is a buzzkill to me), tech bands like Rings Of Saturn are on the opposite side of the spectrum from your typical Kurt Cobain junkie when it comes to musicality.

Actually, to give you further perspective on this, my favorite Cannibal Corpse guitarist is Pat O'Brien and I have a review for Bloodthirst coming down the pike that takes the opposite position that you took on said album. There's a logic to how my tastes work and it doesn't necessarily conform to the old school metalhead stereotype 100%. It would actually be more applicable to note some of my early Soundgarden reviews and the ones I wrote for Saint Vitus that cut against my general hostility against alternative rock.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:21 pm 

Going off a bit of the (brow) beaten path here, but it's worth it!

The new Savage Master is out today, and figured fellow currish adepts of the Louisville Slugger would dig this genial 'tube diatribe by, ahem, 5 minutes to Bone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isluD-zNyZU

Effectively, I should whip out ye olde chequebook for both this as well as Night Screamer's Dead of Night (which is a million times better than its ho-hum, pedantic Hit & Run EP

(Later...)

Oh, gas, I acquiesced to your demand for more T-Liz writes, but I've still a bit of last-minute editing/tweaking to perform, as the whole time I was writing it, was invariably annoyed by a big, fat, juicy, buzzing fly cavorting around my head!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:53 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I despise most alternative rock because it bores me out of my own skull (that and the "yarl" vocal style is a buzzkill to me), tech bands like Rings Of Saturn are on the opposite side of the spectrum from your typical Kurt Cobain junkie when it comes to musicality.

I think I see where you're coming from. On my end, I find some of Nirvana and their peers to be boring as well (even if they are sometimes addictive in a weird way).

https://therealdiamond02.bandcamp.com/ - My project - Formerly metalcore - now satire based on insipid slam, porngrind, etc.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:53 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I wrote for Saint Vitus that cut against my general hostility against alternative rock.

Ah, yes, Saint Vitus that classic alternative rock band. :P

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:51 am 

I think that line was written by hells_unicorn's alternate personality that reviewed And Justice for All as being doom metal.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:19 pm 

Dug Tanuki's syzygial review, mind, and took delight in gas' Zenith-write title (still beats being called a tapir...).

Tanuki
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:21 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Dug Tanuki's syzygial review, mind, and took delight in gas' Zenith-write title (still beats being called a tapir...).

Cheers, Chair! I got Hellwitch to thank for that wonderful word. (And that's about the only thing I have to thank them for... :grumble: Is there tech thrash more overrated than Syzygial Miscreancy? Besides Terminal Redux, obviously. (Ugh, still need to write that review.))

At the moment I'm working on some reviews for halloween-themed metal. Anybody else doing anything like that? What kinda projects or themes or retrospectives are you guys up to?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402  Next