Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:04 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
It's them trying to sound like Queens of the Stone Age, it's fucking awful. Their first album is really good, but that last one is basically an edgy record for Foo Fighters fans.

Man, if it's so bad I'd suggest lowering that 64% score you gave it, then. That's still kind of passable by most reasonable standards.

I don't get any of that alternative rock sound you're going on about, either. It just sounds like tonally dark, gothy heavy metal to me.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:58 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
It's them trying to sound like Queens of the Stone Age, it's fucking awful. Their first album is really good, but that last one is basically an edgy record for Foo Fighters fans.

Now you've gone and gotten me curious about this album just because I hate Queens Of The Stone Age. Are you being hyperbolic or did they really adopt a crappy alternative rock sound? I'm checking the album out either way, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into when I do. :P

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:00 pm 

Acro's just old and crusty, pay him no mind! :-P

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:11 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

I’ve never heard a band in a goth-related musical field compared to QOTSA. Either I’ve been listening to the wrong Queens songs or you’ve found a pile of bad mushrooms.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 am 

When HIM got famous with the song from that 13th Floor movie there was a brief spike in interest in gothy stuff among alternative rock crowds, there were some bands like that for that brief moment in time but I don't remember any names, I just remember hearing one or two songs.

And of course there's Farmer Boys...

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 am 

I have no idea what Queens of the Stone Age sounds like, but I expect I won't hear anything like Sister upon listening to them.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:24 am 

I'll just wait for Superchard to give Fireball a score in the high 80s or some shit. You know, a Deep Purple album that the band has admitted themselves WAS phoned in.

Metantoine
Big Beautiful Famgot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:35 am 

lol Acrobat is my age and he sounds like a boomer dad who remembers the good ol' days of rock & roll and doesn't understand modern music. In Solitude's Sister sounds like QOTSA now? What the hell hahahaha. I mean I love both things but they're really far apart.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'll just wait for Superchard to give Fireball a score in the high 80s or some shit. You know, a Deep Purple album that the band has admitted themselves WAS phoned in.

Which is still wild to me, because I love everything about that album. Best release, even above Machine Head imo.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:47 am 

REALLY solid review of Galaxy, Felix!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
lol Acrobat is my age and he sounds like a boomer dad who remembers the good ol' days of rock & roll and doesn't understand modern music. In Solitude's Sister sounds like QOTSA now? What the hell hahahaha. I mean I love both things but they're really far apart.

Up yours, children! :P

Hells, check it and write a review comparing them to Nirvana.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:08 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Which is still wild to me, because I love everything about that album. Best release, even above Machine Head imo.

You know, all of this DP talk makes me think that I should probably review Stormbringer at some point. I always thought it was a bit too unfairly eclipsed by Burn, even though it has some absolutely fantastic stuff in it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:24 pm 

It has the title-track, 'Gypsy' and 'Soldier of Fortune'. After that, it's kinda crap, that band had no business playing funk. Blackmore was right to leave them.

Uncolored wrote:

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 pm 

Wrong again! :-P Lady Double Dealer, You Can't Do It Right, High Ball Shooter... hell, the latter's got one of the coolest Jon Lord solos ever. I like how punchy and straight to the point the Stormbringer tunes are, really. Then again, I'm huge on the funkier stuff on Burn as well, so no surprise there, and I think they managed the transition pretty seamlessly. Blackmore can shit on funk all he likes, doesn't take away from the fact that he's ironically very good at it :lol:

Also, man, Acro, I love your reviews, but I really don't see eye to eye with you on a lot of stuff, it seems :lol:

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:28 pm 

Thanks, SweetLeaf. Guess you liked the review because I mentioned Speedclaw, haha.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:30 pm 

I really like all of 'Burn', it was a pretty big album for me growing up. I dunno, though, Coverdale is really not as emotionally resonant as Gillan was for me. I haven't really played any Purple in a long time, in comparison to Dio era Rainbow, which receives a lot more regular playing time for me.

Thanks, man! I kind of like the fact that I'm perceived as a miserable, old disagreeable bastard - it probably means I'm doing something right. What else do you disagree with me on? It must have been these kind of arguments that started the Falklands.

Uncolored wrote:

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:32 pm 

By the way, I received an invitation from Turkey from a guy who has read my Horrocious review. Didn't know that my lines can have such an impact, but I enjoyed his message.

Next time I write about a Swedish all-girl band, hopefully this works too.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:41 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
It has the title-track, 'Gypsy' and 'Soldier of Fortune'. After that, it's kinda crap, that band had no business playing funk. Blackmore was right to leave them.

I agree with this completely in regards to Stormbringer. However, I thought Come Taste The Band was actually a step up.
Felix 1666 wrote:
Thanks, SweetLeaf. Guess you liked the review because I mentioned Speedclaw, haha.

Mentioning it certainly didn't hurt, haha.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I really like all of 'Burn', it was a pretty big album for me growing up. I dunno, though, Coverdale is really not as emotionally resonant as Gillan was for me. I haven't really played any Purple in a long time, in comparison to Dio era Rainbow, which receives a lot more regular playing time for me.

Oh man, don't get me wrong, Burn is fucking brilliant, I listened to it religiously when I started to seriously get into Purple. I dunno, I guess I've just been listening to a lot of Glenn Hughes stuff lately and it got me to revisit his Purple years. I remember not caring much for Stormbringer when I heard it for the first time but it's grown on me quite a lot through the years.

Totally get you on the Dio Rainbow praise though. Rising and Long Live Rock 'n' Roll are never out of rotation for long in my house.
Quote:
Thanks, man! I kind of like the fact that I'm perceived as a miserable, old disagreeable bastard - it probably means I'm doing something right. What else do you disagree with me on? It must have been these kind of arguments that started the Falklands.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole Malvinas (hehe) issue got started over disagreements regarding the best Sabbath frontman :lol:

As for actually disagreeing with you, well, I guess it's mostly on the topics of more modern bands or classic bands deviating from their more recognized styles. I love classic USPM like The Warning but gods know I don't approve of your outlook on Operation: Mindcrime, hahaha. You got a pretty impeccable taste for the most part though, and I really like your write ups on beloved classics. You always bring a really unique sense of swagger and humour to the table without sacrificing any actual musical analysis.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:49 pm 

Felix 1666 wrote:
By the way, I received an invitation from Turkey from a guy who has read my Horrocious review. Didn't know that my lines can have such an impact, but I enjoyed his message.

Next time I write about a Swedish all-girl band, hopefully this works too.

Yes, if you write about 1,300 reviews for girl bands, one of them will probably invite you to stay :-P Maybe that will be worth the sacrifice.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:41 pm 

NOW I got it! Thanks, gasmask!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 am 

Lolled at the title of Sweetie’s ‘Low’ review and snorted a piece of chicken across the table.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:32 am 

:lol: I'm honored!

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:51 pm 

Good write-up of Aggressive Perfecter, Felix. Basically how I felt about it.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:47 pm 

I haven't listened to the new Blood Incantation, but that new review for it is just stupid.

"This is good music, so that means it's bad metal". Dude, what kind of bad shit are you smoking? Just a lot of empty posturing about abstracts without actually providing any sort of real critique.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:17 pm 

I wonder what's the explanation, if any, for this mysterious sentence:
Quote:
Their debut "Starspawn" was a masterpiece, a record which channeled the celestial spirit of Timeghoul while heading in the direction that Morbid Angel and Immolation once promised.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:33 pm 

It's just a lot of old man horseshit, really. Some dude who's insecure about his taste harping on about people "convincing themselves" they'll like the record, as if anyone's brain actually worked like that.

He makes it sound like death metal only works when it's raw and basic, and hey, preferences are preferences, but it's an incredibly narrow way of looking at a music style.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:12 pm 

Yeah, was about to come here to make these exact comments.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm 

I think y'all're reaching a bit. The review makes complete sense, most tellingly because of the "less than the sum of its parts" comment because that alone sort of justifies why it's good but not good. It's a difficult, highly subjective feeling to have but it's one that you can't really argue against unless you think the writer is just being disingenuous. The quoted section seems like he's clearly saying it has influence from all three bands but pushes the sound further than they ever did, and he even caps off the review by saying they should venture even further because this one feels like it's resting on its laurels a bit and they didn't push themselves as hard as they did on the debut.

I don't exactly agree with it because I think the album is great (and trust me, I went into it wanting to hate it out of hype backlash spite but dammit it's really good) but the review itself was perfectly clear and valid, saying that it's only superficially different that what came before and it wasn't enough of an evolution to excite him. Really not obtuse, if kinda flawed in the sense that it expects you to already know Starspawn.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:28 pm 

I disagree, man. I really have no stake on the album itself (as I said, haven't heard it), but to me the review read like typical "whippersnappers like this and it annoys me for some reason" whinging. Like, this right here:

Quote:
There are plenty of non-metalheads looking for a metal album to prove their edginess. Some people will convince themselves that this record is better than it actually is, but how many of us will still spin it in five years' time?

That kind of iconoclastic, cheap writing is just really silly. People convincing themselves that an album is better than it actually is? Instead of, you know, just liking the thing, like regular people are wont to do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:23 pm 

It's a technically fine review and some of the points he makes are acceptable enough, even though I also disagree. But yeah, I'd say some of it definitely has a bitterman-ish tint to it and seems to be attacking it on the basis of some vague ideological objection, though at least this seems simple enough and not some "my god this will destroy metal" trolling like other reviews have been. The passage Xlxlx quoted about "metalheads needing an edgy album" is nonsense too; that is not really a thing at all.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I disagree, man. I really have no stake on the album itself (as I said, haven't heard it), but to me the review read like typical "whippersnappers like this and it annoys me for some reason" whinging. Like, this right here:

Quote:
There are plenty of non-metalheads looking for a metal album to prove their edginess. Some people will convince themselves that this record is better than it actually is, but how many of us will still spin it in five years' time?

That kind of iconoclastic, cheap writing is just really silly. People convincing themselves that an album is better than it actually is? Instead of, you know, just liking the thing, like regular people are wont to do.

This is pretty much how I feel. And I don't even have an opinion on the album one way or another, so this is coming 100% from a "how good is this review" standpoint.

BastardHead wrote:
(and trust me, I went into it wanting to hate it out of hype backlash spite but dammit it's really good)

Ah, so you DO go into things with pre-listening biases strictly because of hype! Idle Hands and Ghost. *tisk tisk tisk* ;) (relax, I'm messing with you)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:33 pm 

Yeah, the review is quite reasonable, and I especially get the point about the instrumental song being a bit pointless, as with the final track not needing to be 18 minutes long. The review probably suffers from knee-jerk response more than unreasonable criticism.

I'm just pissed that it was reviewed so quickly, because I was half thinking I could write it up for next week's review challenge.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:58 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I'm just pissed that it was reviewed so quickly, because I was half thinking I could write it up for next week's review challenge.

Haha! Tell me about it (though I think it would be pretty obvious that Blood Incantation would be reviewed very quickly upon their newest release).

I wanted to start reviewing All That Remains for some time now, as their last two records weren't even touched, and then all of a sudden a 15% review pops out of nowhere on the latest record.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:35 am 

This is the one problem with planning ahead. It feels like everyone is out to sabotage you.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:08 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Eh, that's way too popular of a record to bank on that, haha. I have a few albums I've set aside for the challenge but (so far) all of them are pretty unknown to most, so hopefully I'm safe.

Of course, now that I said that, I'll likely jinx it.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:21 am 

BastardHead wrote:
The quoted section seems like he's clearly saying it has influence from all three bands but pushes the sound further than they ever did, and he even caps off the review by saying they should venture even further because this one feels like it's resting on its laurels a bit and they didn't push themselves as hard as they did on the debut.

My problem boils down to this: what was that direction and when did it take shape in Immo's and MA's music. It's not enough to just vaguely point out Blood Incantation's music in general. It's a nebulous way to simply state an influence, if that was the goal in the first place.

I'm aware this objection could be mere nitpicking, but the way this point is worded just leads me to expect a more serious and thoroughgoing comparison; and that simply isn't there.

maZe2110
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:17 am 

I don't usually comment on the forum but I couldn't help it after I read the last Slayer's Repentless review. I haven't even heard the album but the title of the review left me scratching my head, as he says this is the best Slayer album (whilst shitting on their whole previous releases) and then awards a 51% rating. As if that isn't weird enough, he lists Slayer as one of his favourite bands on his profile. At this point I'm wondering wtf am I reading. Finally, as for the review itself, it's one of the worst I ever read on the site.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 am 

Yeah, that review was.... bold. And it read like a fucking robot wrote it.

Also, I'm loving the fact that I'm not the only one that thinks Gatecreeper is boring as fuck!

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 am 

maZe2110 wrote:
Finally, as for the review itself, it's one of the worst I ever read on the site.

Let me tell you that it's on the same level of quality as his music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405  Next