Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:30 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Never thought I'd see the day hells_unicorn defending what is by all accounts a foremost release in one of metal's most commercial, modern and formulaic strains.

I'm getting soft in my old age. :-P But in all seriousness, I get why just about everybody hates that album, I just can't seem to force myself to hate it. There are off-shoots of that album that I think are utter crap, particularly most of All That Remains' discography, but what Killswitch Engage did on The End Of Heartache listens along the lines of what In Flames might have sounded like had they had a vocalist who could actually do clean singing competently.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:34 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'm getting soft in my old age. But in all seriousness, I get why just about everybody hates that album, I just can't seem to force myself to hate it. There are off-shoots of that album that I think are utter crap, particularly most of All That Remains' discography, but what Killswitch Engage did on The End Of Heartache listens along the lines of what In Flames might have sounded like had they had a vocalist who could actually do clean singing competently.

I've had a similar softening of my taste as I've grown up too, though obviously across a shorter span of time. And I can hear that yeah - certainly, it's a far stronger release than something like Reroute to Remain, though that isn't a terribly high bar in my mind. I should revisit the album in question, it's been awhile.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:39 pm 

hells' gettin' soft. Was bound to happen. There are lots of good 'core album, a lot better than that one. The best Killswitch album isn't even by Killswitch, it was by Times of Grace.

>_>
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:48 pm 

End of Heartache is a solid ass album. The low rating here is almost entirely based on some kind of metal stereotype.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
End of Heartache is a solid ass album. The low rating here is almost entirely based on some kind of metal stereotype.

I think most of the Howard Jones era of the band is solid, Jesse Leach was the primary weak link in the band, at least according to my current assessment of the band. Having said that, I still hate the way they reinterpreted Holy Diver, they took what was essentially a classic old school heavy metal tune and turned it into an unfunny musical joke.

My reviews.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:01 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I chalk a loooooot of low ratings here up to that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I think most of the Howard Jones era of the band is solid, Jesse Leach was the primary weak link in the band, at least according to my current assessment of the band. Having said that, I still hate the way they reinterpreted Holy Diver, they took what was essentially a classic old school heavy metal tune and turned it into an unfunny musical joke.

I've been listening to a lot of their stuff lately and the last few albums they did are good too. The newest one is actually pretty killer. Howard's voice is better than Jesse's, but it's one of those things where they have such tight, mechanical writing that all their stuff is fairly consistent and even the singers even sound alike.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:49 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:

I’ve never understood the problem with the Holy Diver cover, and quite enjoy it myself. Could anyone explain the problem/joke?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:26 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

I’ve never understood the problem with the Holy Diver cover, and quite enjoy it myself. Could anyone explain the problem/joke?

The old Metal Archives Moral Panic I'm always rolling my eyes over, that's what.

I have no problem with somebody thinking it's just a shit cover. I don't agree but whatever, it's valid. I don't agree that Dio did anything worthwhile after the 80s either so whatever, different strokes. But let's be real, the reason people thought it was such an abomination as opposed to "just bad" is because it was one of the biggest metalcore bands of the era adding ten seconds of screams and chugging to a legendary metal classic. Lots of people saw that as an insult. Cockslapping the Mona Lisa, so to speak.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:53 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I have no problem with somebody thinking it's just a shit cover. I don't agree but whatever, it's valid. I don't agree that Dio did anything worthwhile after the 80s either so whatever, different strokes. But let's be real, the reason people thought it was such an abomination as opposed to "just bad" is because it was one of the biggest metalcore bands of the era adding ten seconds of screams and chugging to a legendary metal classic. Lots of people saw that as an insult. Cockslapping the Mona Lisa, so to speak.

My feeling is that’s what you’re supposed to do with a cover. Otherwise it’s pretty redundant.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 pm 

Good re-written review for that Hibria debut, BastardHead. To me it's definitely one of those albums that sounds amazing at first but just loses appeal over time. I still like the openings track a lot, but the rest, with some exceptions of a riff here and there, doesn't do it for me anymore.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 pm 

I wouldn't agree with it being boring - that album still holds up and they were strong writers and the album is more complex than it seems from the first track. But it definitely had a lot of hype to it. There were a lot of albums like that back then - Cage's Darker than Black, Gamma Ray's No World Order, etc, that were such a breath of fresh air for fans of old school metal, and which got hyped up as like revolutionary game-changers when they were really just good solid-ass metal albums.

Eternity's End's second album is what Hibria should've grown into instead of whatever they ended up doing later...

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:25 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

I'm only speaking for myself, and there is some validity in BastardHead's sentiment on this as a lot of people decided to pile on and regurgitated the same points that were made by myself, IWP and Empyreal at the time. The best way I can explain it is via a film analogy. I'm a huge fan of the original Point Break film, to the point where it is almost a second religion to me, I basically view it as the ideal 90s flick (it still had one foot in the 80s, so you can kind of glean from this why I have such an animus towards a lot of mid-90s music). To me, there was ZERO reason for that movie to be remade, or to have a sequel made, especially after Patrick Swayze died, so naturally I hated the 2015 remake of Point Break with the fury of a thousand suns. But it wasn't just that they remade the movie, they basically took out all of the culturally important stuff from the original film (Bodie and the other ex-president bank-robbers were not freaking Robin Hood and his merry men, they were essentially anarchist surfers seeking thrills and rebelling against modern society, and to an extent Keanu Reeves' character Johnny Utah buys into that life and ends up walking away from law enforcement after he took out the gang).

In essence, I hold Dio's 80s music in a similarly sacred light. My problem with Killswitch Engage's cover of Holy Diver is that it wasn't a cover, it was a remake that bordered on parody. They didn't just tweak a few things, they reworked the entire principle riff into a down-tuned, chugging metalcore groove and completely switched around what the song was really about musically, and the music video was an awkward pile of shit (admittedly, Dio's original music video for the song was kind of hokey, but they weren't exactly working with a massive budget, which gave it a sort of stoic, underground charm). My initial revulsion at the song was partially fueled by the fact that a few younger people who came to my band's shows in Philadelphia who were massively into metalcore at the time would say stupid shit like "Hey, did you hear that Dio just did a cover of the Killswitch Engage song Holy Diver the last time he was in town". Naturally we're about 13 years past that crap, but the cover in question still sucks in my eyes, and apart from me maybe tweaking the wording of my original review to make it a bit less rant-like, my stance on it is unchanged.

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:28 pm 

My review of that KSE cover was stupid. Not a huge fan of that cover but eh it is what it is, and gasmask is right when he says bands should change up the stuff they cover. BH is right when he says it was all a lot of hand-wringing. I don't think the harsh vocals are very good with that song, but eh it was their style.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:49 pm 

This is off-track and random, but I enjoyed a peculiar triptych of good read reviews this fairweather Sunday morning, (as it's also a policy of mine, now, for every time I re-read one of mine own reviews - for minor edit compulsion(s) - need to re-calibrate the balance of whatever - cosmic? by reading, in turn, any one colleaugue's review...)

As I was saying, I dug the new Midnight one for its brashness - just like the record - then Apollyon_Midnight's as it was a written by a brand new member - it feels uncannily cool to spot somebody's very first one, you know - plus I fished around online and what makes it an even cooler review is that said record is a bone fide rarity i.e. a collector's piece, so to speak...oh and how could I not guffaw (into my tankard) at Autothrall's latest for a bone headed Tankard comp.

There, my three cents in, now back to War Dogs (Die by my Sword)!

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
My review of that KSE cover was stupid. Not a huge fan of that cover but eh it is what it is, and gasmask is right when he says bands should change up the stuff they cover. BH is right when he says it was all a lot of hand-wringing. I don't think the harsh vocals are very good with that song, but eh it was their style.

Changing things up is nice, it didn't work in the case of that particular cover, my own eternal devotion to Dio's 80s career not withstanding. Frankly speaking, I kinda miss the hand-wringing at times, though I draw the line at forming an anti-folk metal brigade. :P

Quote:
There were a lot of albums like that back then - Cage's Darker than Black, Gamma Ray's No World Order, etc, that were such a breath of fresh air for fans of old school metal, and which got hyped up as like revolutionary game-changers when they were really just good solid-ass metal albums.

Gamma Ray's No World Order was simply just good solid-ass metal? Them's fighin' words there sonny, don't make me hurt you. :lol:

My reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 pm 

All the albums I listed are good, but they were touted as something more back then, at least from my memory. They were just a breath of fresh air as metal was first coming back into the light. I'm not a huge Gamma Ray fan except for some select songs though so I dunno. I do revisit Defying the Rules every year or so and it's always been enjoyable to me.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:57 am 

I'm late to the party on this but how do you start a review with: "I've recently heard of Symbolic be described as"?

Fucking syntax people!

I know this isn't any major peer reviewed publication that anyone gets grants from but how the hell do you do that in the first sentence of a review that already starts as incredibly as one that calls a Death album during Schuldiner's major musical shift a thrash album when he had been doing far thrashier things for the entire decade before it?

I get that Superchard is easy game on this forum but come on man, at least try to make yourself credible in the first sentence by not mucking it up.

Then we have this gem: "it's true that Death have become more of a thrash band as the 90's went on". Are you high or just a revisionist historian? I'll bet that I'm around the same age as this dude and therefore wasn't old enough to listen to Death at the time the albums came out but I can easily note the difference between 'Scream Bloody Gore' and 'Individual Thought Patterns' and it's mainly because of the breadth of change in the band that was showing a wider take on its music rather than being the banging thrash that thrash is so well-known for.

Schuldiner was evolving.

More than half of the review the guy talks about how people view the album when it's supposed to be his own review of the album. He goes on and on about how it's been taken by people who curate opinions by YouTube likes and the track lengths while the later paragraphs barely tell you anything about how he personally sees it. It's all written according to someone else's context as though it's a point of contention that he takes as sacrosanct opinion while offering no opinion whatsoever on an opinion piece.

This review is lazy garbage that would pass as a two-pager in a 100 level community college course solely because the student was in the thirteenth grade and actually passed something in that wasn't written on rolling papers.

Somehow the guy knows thrash so well that he can't even describe how the album sounds until he says that ""Crystal Mountain" takes us through layers of songwriting and gets across a lot of different cohesive ideas in a relatively short amount of time, and the song manages to throw itself in quite a few different directions without becoming jarring to listen to, and returns back to these sections multiple times so that they become familiar to the listener over the course of the track's length." Great job on the Wikipedia copy/paste but I was wondering, what does it sound like more than the cohesiveness of a subway train coming into a station with the familiarity of making the same sound every four minutes? What do you actually think about the sound as opposed to saying it was a song that was written as a song in order to be a song that sounded put together like a song? Can you form an opinion or even try to explain something without endless vagary?

After all that, the only thing he actually brings to the table of his illustrious judgement is the "flamenco" end to the one song he barely describes (the obvious outlying single mind you) before digressing to the "controversy" at hand (that he created just to highlight a controversy rather than discuss the album) in order to bring it all back to his endless agreeable nonsense.

Why waste the time and five bulging paragraphs to not say what you think or what an album does for you or really anything more than what WatchMojo thinks in a review that is supposed to be a personal opinion piece? You're not being paid to do this. Is this your version of street cred or is this part of a portfolio in order to apply for companies that need people to write base garbage for a zine that wants to take money out of the hands of an audience that won't bite?

It's not the opinion that gets me angry at this piece. It's the lack of opinion, the lack of description, the incessant cowtowing to other ideas rather than his own that drive me mad. He gave the album a solid score, I'd like to see why.

I really don't get where that score came from though. How does something so tepid, so base, and so ridiculously inane that it should be part of a Buzzfeed list part of one's pedigree on a site that (if you do well) doesn't give much a care for what you write showing anything in the paragraphs when the score is the only thing saying anything substantial?

Are you really proud of a piece like this, Superchard?

It's obvious that you can do better. Impress yourself and no one will notice. Try to impress others and shit like this ends up being the result.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 am 

I didn't read 'chard's Death review but I felt the same way - like having a dinner guest reach across the table for the salt (or pepper) without saying "please" and "thank you" (whilst dragging their sleeve in your stew) - upon wry perusal of his (old school NWOBHM) Wolf review...as in, waxing contrarian just for the Hell of it - although I liked his Witchfynde write up, which, as you say, 5 Nails, goes to show he can write smarter or more intelligible/entertaining material when he puts his mynd to it. I've somewhat of a similar issue with Grizzly Butts, and yeah, sure, it's a bit jarring to sweat bullets pumping out long suffering, as well as sufferable, reviews one at a time, just to have him dump truck something like 50 or 60 in one go; but I've got to give the kid credit, because he has flow (albeit a tad haughty, if not long-winded but who's the Chair to nitpick?!); all the more power to him if he sets them up well crafted/edited ready for unloading at the right (flabbergasting) time, like he so knavishly does...I just wish he didn't feel the need to undercut my/our % ratings like so!

Actually, I've just downloaded/mp3 tube converted - like a true knave - that Witch Trail review of his today, as I'm currently sick of life and society at the moment and, perchance, maybe some blackened tar grit is just what the methadone doctor ordered, as they don't seem to know how to do or perform anything else...To wit, I now dig Candles & Wraiths (good ole Ed Sackbauer) and Dialith (good ole whoever-wrote-it-as-I-can't-recall!).

By the way, would it be gauche to submit/publish two (2) perfectly scored write-ups one after the other? (Well, I didn't post any last year, 2019, at all, surprisingly considering what a great year in metal it was - 2020 looks even crazier this early on, though - think Wolf, Ambush, Throne of Iron, Smoulder, Dexter Ward and "j'en passe"!)

That new Midnight album...phewie! good shit, man, like the gal said in her review of it, it's purely and simply unadulterated, unfiltered, uncompromising, un-everything rock n' fucking roll! Plus I don't know if any of you have heard that recently new War Dogs gem, Die By My SWORD, as it's seriously amazing...please take my word for it, just this once, maybe?...

All I know is, I'm afraid to write it up and fail to do it justice...it truly is mind-blowing! (Enough said, let the muzak do the yawping).

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:06 am 

I'm a lot less grumpy about metalcore as I used to be but that Holy Diver cover still rubs me the wrong way. Even outside the horrid breakdown, the guitars and vocals are too stiff for my liking. I could afford to try out Killswitch Engage's albums sometime though last time I did, I found that I still don't like Daylight Dies. I imagine some of the others fare better.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:44 am 

I honestly don't like retroactively tossing reviews simply because it's rare that it needs to happen nowadays, but that entire Symbolic review was predicated on a flagrant falsehood that was neither used as a satirical framing device nor well argued in its contrarianism. It'd be one thing if it was a pisstake on the WatchMojo video he got it from or if he made some sort of real argument for why this progdeath album is actually thrash, but it really seemed like he just took it at face value and ran with it uncritically. Even more confusing is that he correctly described all of the progressive elements of the record and noted Death's continual career-long evolution, but still stubbornly and amazingly misdiagnosed what it was they were evolving into.

There's always some wiggle room for interpretation and hot takes but this ain't it, chief. Factual accuracy is still in the rules and something as basic as getting the damn genre right is part of that.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 pm 

Incidentally, his resulting posts were the funniest fucking things I've read in a while, I think it might actually beat MysticWoods as my favorite user blowout.

Edit: Nah, nothing can ever beat MysticWoods, but it got within spitting distance.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:52 pm 

I love how he said he'd leave if they didn't put his review back, and instead he just continued throwing a fit like a baby. I hope he left though.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 pm 

Wait a minute.... where are y'all seeing this person throwing a fit? Am I missing something?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 pm 

Well, that isn't very super hard of them.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:49 pm 

Ha! If any of you are in need of some entertainment, look up Chevymetal1986 and read all three of his reviews. Those, along with his profile description just screeeeeeeaaam "I punch holes in walls."

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:08 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Well, that isn't very super hard of them.

It is super Chad, though
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:08 pm 

Just look at the two recent locked threads in this forum, Sweetie. ;)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:40 pm 

Yeah, my man Twisted up there sent me a link on Facebook. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuge yikes!

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
All the albums I listed are good, but they were touted as something more back then, at least from my memory. They were just a breath of fresh air as metal was first coming back into the light. I'm not a huge Gamma Ray fan except for some select songs though so I dunno. I do revisit Defying the Rules every year or so and it's always been enjoyable to me.

I hear you man, I was just goofing around. Me being a massive Gamma Ray junkie makes me extremely biased whenever anything from their seminal 1995-2003 era is concerned. Truth be told, I kind of wish this Pumpkins United Tour would end soon so Kai can either get back to doing Gamma Ray or we actually get a unified Helloween album with both Kiske and Hansen being involved. That single was sweet, but I want more recorded music!

Derigin wrote:
Just look at the two recent locked threads in this forum, Sweetie. ;)

Good grief! I was about to call this Requiem99 version 2.0, but Supertard just took things to a whole new level. I don't think I've ever seen a meltdown this ridiculous in the entire 15 years I've been frequenting this site. If he decides to pack up and leave, I hope he takes every single one of his stupid reviews with him, and if he happens to be reading this thread, just take my advice and start your own metal blog if you have this big of a problem working under a set of rules. You can even put your goofy "super hard" tag line at the end, just so I don't have to see that crap.

Edit: Whelp, just went onto the Dio MA page and all of Tard boy's drivel is gone, can't seem to search his profile anymore either. Not sure if I should just move along or sing "Ding! Dong! The Witch Is Dead" for a few minutes, but I definitely won't miss his crappy writing. Happy trails dude, looking forward to not seeing you on Blogger.com

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:33 pm 

It's funny how users like that come and go. It usually starts with a batch of reviews and ends in an autistic meltdown. Even if you disagree with something, take it on the chin and move on. To be fair though, acting like that culls one from the herd, and even though a lot of reviewers have come and gone, there remains a solid network of reviewers and readers who have lasted on this site for many years, partly because they, you know, understand reviewing is a hobby and not the be-all-end-all of one's existence, and can at least pretend to be well-adjusted and inclined to have a passing interest in reality.

Even though Superchard got a lot of shit, I still hate to see someone like that bug out like that. At least he was passionate and clearly took time and effort into writing his reviews. Opinions on quality notwithstanding, I enjoy seeing someone giving a shit about their reviews, so it's a shame things turned out the way they did. But again, the cycle continues, like a wheel ever turning, round and round.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:38 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
At least he was passionate and clearly took time and effort into writing his reviews.

This was essentially what got me to break through and keep going despite starting off pretty horribly. I was on-and-off from like 2014 - 2017, and around the beginning of 2018 I started doing it more consistently and haven't stopped since. Other than the occasional hiatus due to brain frying.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:52 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Even though Superchard got a lot of shit, I still hate to see someone like that bug out like that. At least he was passionate and clearly took time and effort into writing his reviews. Opinions on quality notwithstanding, I enjoy seeing someone giving a shit about their reviews, so it's a shame things turned out the way they did. But again, the cycle continues, like a wheel ever turning, round and round.

I'll admit that I had very little common ground with the guy, but I think there is a difference between being passionate and being arrogant. He's not the first person to have a review retroactively purged for having either factual errors or formatting issues. I actually had my entire 2005 and a significant chunk of my early 2006 content purged (roughly 45 reviews) in one day about 4 years ago because they were terrible (though at the time they were passable), not to mention in that dreaded track-by-track checklist format. When this happened, I didn't blow a gasket and call Diamhea a fascist for doing his job (I have nothing but fond memories about the guy), I got to work rewriting them so that they'd be up to snuff with where the site is now. Truth be told, there are still about 14 reviews from that purge that still need to be rewritten.

I didn't say anything at the time, but when I first read Superchard's reviews and saw how his format worked, I had a feeling he was going to end up in a flame war with the moderators who handle the reviews here. He struck me as the type who didn't take criticism well, in fact, he struck me as being Requiem99's doppelganger.

My reviews.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:

I'll admit that I had very little common ground with the guy, but I think there is a difference between being passionate and being arrogant. He's not the first person to have a review retroactively purged for having either factual errors or formatting issues. I actually had my entire 2005 and a significant chunk of my early 2006 content purged (roughly 45 reviews) in one day about 4 years ago because they were terrible (though at the time they were passable), not to mention in that dreaded track-by-track checklist format. When this happened, I didn't blow a gasket and call Diamhea a fascist for doing his job (I have nothing but fond memories about the guy), I got to work rewriting them so that they'd be up to snuff with where the site is now. Truth be told, there are still about 14 reviews from that purge that still need to be rewritten.

I didn't say anything at the time, but when I first read Superchard's reviews and saw how his format worked, I had a feeling he was going to end up in a flame war with the moderators who handle the reviews here. He struck me as the type who didn't take criticism well, in fact, he struck me as being Requiem99's doppelganger.

I was referring to the nature of writing reviews when I said he was passionate. You should know as much as anyone just based on your volume of reviews and the generally top-tier quality in your writing that writing a shitload of reviews requires a lot of time, understanding, practice, organization, and so on. Obviously he was committed to the art of reviewing. Regarding the meltdown, we see eye to eye on that. Definitely the worst way to respond to an adversarial situation.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm 

I just caught up on the Superchard situation - amusing, to say the least. If not slightly fucked. Lose-lose situation either way, right? Ego's a bitch. Then again - no matter how informed I feel trying to catch up, I'm sure I lost some details that make this sound a bit... iffy. Regardless - not a good situation. (EDIT: Morrigan probably has the best comment on the entirety of the two threads in that second thread, hands down. That was gold.)

On a bit of a different note, is it okay to ask for feedback on my latest review in this thread? Wanted to hear what people thought on it.

Last edited by TheMeh on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:02 pm 

Use the Review Feedback thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16487

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Use the Review Feedback thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16487

Many thanks to you, my friend.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:50 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I hear you man, I was just goofing around. Me being a massive Gamma Ray junkie makes me extremely biased whenever anything from their seminal 1995-2003 era is concerned. Truth be told, I kind of wish this Pumpkins United Tour would end soon so Kai can either get back to doing Gamma Ray or we actually get a unified Helloween album with both Kiske and Hansen being involved. That single was sweet, but I want more recorded music!

I think this United Live in Madrid recording is the best thing a lot of these guys have done in years. I didn't like anything GR did after NWO and Helloween has been treading water since '07 or so - but holy fuck is that live recording amazing. Just so good. You should check it out if you haven't.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:37 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I think this United Live in Madrid recording is the best thing a lot of these guys have done in years. I didn't like anything GR did after NWO and Helloween has been treading water since '07 or so - but holy fuck is that live recording amazing. Just so good. You should check it out if you haven't.

I've heard it, it's amazing, but I crave new material and it's been 4 years since Kai put out his first solo album (which I was kinda lukewarm on, to be honest). I definitely think that things took a massive downturn for Gamma Ray on Majestic, but I've generally enjoyed what they've done since, and I've found Helloween's output following Gambling With The Devil to be satisfying, if maybe not as impressive as what came before. Nevertheless, I'm cool with Kai sticking with the Pumpkins United gig provided they record some new music.

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I was referring to the nature of writing reviews when I said he was passionate. You should know as much as anyone just based on your volume of reviews and the generally top-tier quality in your writing that writing a shitload of reviews requires a lot of time, understanding, practice, organization, and so on. Obviously he was committed to the art of reviewing. Regarding the meltdown, we see eye to eye on that. Definitely the worst way to respond to an adversarial situation.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, the guy definitely had drive given that he was fairly prolific and did manage to achieve scribe status. I often take for granted the number of times I wrote poorly during the first several years I was on this site and got that rejection notice in my email. Nevertheless, one of the observations I was making earlier is that the problems with his writing style revealed a fair bit about his personality, and ultimately why I think he will likely never go anywhere as a writer (and I'm speaking chiefly as somebody who does this as a hobby, or in my case, to get a chance to network with bands and support the metal scene). Part of being passionate about something needs to include the willingness to take criticism in order to grow and improve, which is something I think he presently lacks, and as such he will remain the same caliber of writer that he presently is, which I would argue is sub-par at best.

BastardHead and I don't agree often, but I think he handled this the best way anybody could have. But either way, it's a done deal now, and I can't really say I'm going to miss Superchard's self-indulgent screeds on old school metal albums that I hold in high regard.

My reviews.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm 

I miss having Diamhea vehemently steer me towards diligence and self-improvement. I miss his stern tutelage, so to speak.
*Only the good die young...RIP, we'll all be joining you, in time, friend. (#@!%$ time and death!)

Now, once you've attained scribe status, it's as if those training wheels took the wayside; in other words, we're given a long rope, if you all catch my gyst - (not cyst) .

Relatively, I'm having a devil of a time with full-blown, at home wee-fee, as I easily get overwhelmed by all the crazy sick music out there I want to review but can't possibly commit to as many as I'd like, i.e. sort of a kid in a candy store type of pervasive syndrome/ailment/affliction/knavish skullduggery and/or general(ized) albeit rueful discontentment...at least I can thank my lucky stars, and God, I've broken ranks, as well as chains, with that ole visual & harmfully mendacious "Lust demon"! (Middle age has its perks, what!)

Oh, welcome back, Metantoine, from World of Warcraft, is it? Stoked about your Montreal filth series (yes, a real shithole of a city particularly in November and especially in March, whence all the old, putrid, unpicked up dog shit from November rises to the stinky, virus choked fore as the yellowed snow melts.) Crossed eyed, with blackened tongue sticking out emoj optional, at this juncture...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413  Next