Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:29 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
It seems a lot of people are reviewing albums from Careless Records.

Were they all CDs by:

Barbarity
Bestia
Blackmoon
Dismembered Corpse
Litham
Regression of Style
Tales of Blood

I'm working through those for a good review drop soon while on a short quarantine. It'll be nice to join the bunch that keep popping up. This is a solid epidemic soundtrack and that label did a good and well-timed product push.

Yeah I got contacted by Careless Records nearly a month ago but didn't particularly dig what I heard. Also Godz of War sent me an ALL CAPS message with free .zips of quite a few things. Seems a few individual artists have been on the hunt for that as well, such as the Ethereal Exile and From Beyond reviews I did.

I'd like to do more of this since I'm obviously not going out, but I'm between jobs (was supposed to be moving to Australia this week ffs) and currently sick, so...not for now.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 am 

Godz of War sent me a mail lately too, but I don't mind. Got to hear the new Rotting Kingdom album and it's a pretty decent doom/death metal offering. I'd easily take this over Runemagick's new stuff or Temple of Void.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:51 pm 

Hell yeah Falloch are back on MA, everyone go trash them

(I don't even know if I'd like them now or not but still)

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 am 

Haha, I remember Falloch. They absolutely nailed a trendy style of metal jumping the shark to an extreme degree. The backlash they got (in this community, at least) was probably slightly exaggerated, but it just underlines how oversaturated that style was at the time. I'm surprised that they're still active, really.

It's also a shame that the style went so absurdly overboard, because I wrote off Fen for a long time despite being fan of their debut EP at the time. I rediscovered them recently, and they've really gone a long way. Kudos for finding their own voice, in the middle of all that.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 am 

oh yeeeeeah I remember that band. For some reason whenever I see the name I think "fake Agalloch".

I honestly think if they had a different name that didn't sound so close to that they wouldn't have had a microscope on them as a third-rate trend hopper. Not that the music was any good or anything, but if they had ANY other name (apart from like Falcest or something) they probably would have simply been forgotten about instead of reviled.

Bit of a bizarro theory and I'm probably one of very few who actually thinks like this...but I do recall people making jokes about the similarities.

BANDS I FUCK WITH:
SKYLESS AEONS - Death? Prog? Melodic? iunno
CRYOPATHY - suicidal mosh music
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE - post-black sad bois

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:11 am 

The name is probably partly to blame for the backlash, but at the same time, it probably helped to propel them into much larger public than the music itself would've warranted. It's a double-edged sword, and I suppose it relies greatly on the overall marketing savvy of the band to forge something that stands on its own out of the viral popularity. I think Falloch might've misjudged the jump they were taking with that one.

That said, it was also Andy Marshall's band before he started his own thing with Àrsaidh, and then Saor. He's clearly a very ambitious musician, and his lack of involvement later on would also explain why the band fizzled.

...Falcest. :lol: That would've been great.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:35 pm 

Damn, CHAIRTHROWER was faster.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:50 pm 

I think I want to review Deafheaven's Sunbather, mainly because despite my opinion on it being rather middling, I don't like it for almost the exact opposite reason most of the current negative reviews don't like it. With such a heavily reviewed album, you really need to have a particular reason to add yet another one.

Absinthe1979
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 pm 

Greetings - and vast apologies to all for polluting this thread with a personal query, but as a new member I'm apparently unable to send private messages to moderators etc which I was endeavouring to do, and I couldn't find it covered in the FAQ etc.

I've been pumping quite a few reviews through over the last couple of months, and they're usually approved within 24 hours. Until...I submitted a review on the March 25th, My Dying Bride - 'The Ghost of Orion', and four days later it's still sitting there, pending, like a tree branch caught on a snag in the review river, unable to flow out to the sea of acceptance.

Could a moderator please double check that it hasn't been missed or lost? I wouldn't have bothered to mention it, but it seems like a lot of other reviews are being published by members as per normal and something's fishy. I'm happy to resubmit if necessary.

Again, sorry for posting this here. I'll delete it once I know what's going on. Cheers everyone.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:58 pm 

Absinthe1979 wrote:
Greetings - and vast apologies to all for polluting this thread with a personal query, but as a new member I'm apparently unable to send private messages to moderators etc which I was endeavouring to do, and I couldn't find it covered in the FAQ etc.

I've been pumping quite a few reviews through over the last couple of months, and they're usually approved within 24 hours. Until...I submitted a review on the March 25th, My Dying Bride - 'The Ghost of Orion', and four days later it's still sitting there, pending, like a tree branch caught on a snag in the review river, unable to flow out to the sea of acceptance.

Could a moderator please double check that it hasn't been missed or lost? I wouldn't have bothered to mention it, but it seems like a lot of other reviews are being published by members as per normal and something's fishy. I'm happy to resubmit if necessary.

Again, sorry for posting this here. I'll delete it once I know what's going on. Cheers everyone.

Approved now. Please don't complain about a review staying in the queue for... 4 days.

Absinthe1979
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:09 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Absinthe1979 wrote:

Approved now. Please don't complain about a review staying in the queue for... 4 days.

Thanks a lot. I just wasn’t sure if that was common or a glitch. I’ll wait patiently in future.

Absinthe1979
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:14 pm 

Sorry, I can’t delete my posts here. Feel free to do so. Cheers.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:29 am 

For the record, reviews can't be lost in the system simply by nature of how it's set up. If it says it's pending, it's pending. Sometimes it takes us a bit longer to get to the queue because we get busy with real life and there's usually only one mod really focusing on it at any given time. Just be patient, we'll get to it eventually.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:09 am 

Absinthe1979, if you keep writing well you might be scribed eventually, meaning that your reviews can be accepted without moderation. Hope that happens in the end, because I've been enjoying quite a lot of yours. It seems our doom death tastes are similar, yet our opinions mostly opposite.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:00 am 

That recent Lunar Strain review by Dying_Hope is lame. Guy's passive aggressive behavior reminds me of Kluseba. :lol:

Quote:
I confess I did not see this coming. My relationship with In Flames began with "Soundtrack to Your Escape" as I was in high school, and is still alive to that day. But, and now come the words of a sinner, I have somehow painfully ignored the glorious melodic death metal era of In Flames. I know every album by heart from "Reroute to Remain", over the aforementioned "Soundtrack to Your Escape" to "I, the Mask". Every single album is a piece of art for me. Yes, I have said it, now the traditionalists will roll their eyes and sharpen their blades. The fact that it seems to be a factor of coolness to bash In Flames because4 they refuse to stick to traditional rules of the metal scene is beyond me, but that is another story and did not belong in this digital parchment...

Ah, fuck it... Just a few little words for every elitist out there who thinks that everything that is not Iron Maiden, Cannibal Corpse, or whatever must be shit: Be open-minded and enjoy the music, mate. I am a metalhead myself since my ninth birthday and I promise you "metal" is just a word. I walked the same misleading road of ignorance for years, and it just wasted my time denying great bands that not played their music in a way the metal community used to love. Even the glorious Metal-Archives are thrown into elitism in some ways, and I did not understand some choices the moderators do in terms of accepting a band as metal or not. I can see the reason behind it but I cannot understand every selection. And nonetheless I love this site! So please do the same, just call it "music", and you will get more open for new things. Do not let good music slip through your fingers just because it do not fit anything you idolize. It will open new ways for you, and you will be very happy with it. You are not forced to like everything, but try to respect it in some ways.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:53 pm 

To anyone who still puts stuff like that in a review, give it a rest already.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:25 pm 

Always funny to see another exploitation of the modern In Flames hater strawman. People don't hate modern In Flames because it's not tr00 m3t4l. They hate it because it's stereotypical, formulaic, whiny, and unimaginative. I could name a few songs by Breaking Benjamin that are quite superior to, say, the title track of "Come Clarity".

That review kinda made me want to listen to Lunar Strain again, though. I haven't heard it in a while and I used to enjoy it quite a bit.
Now imagine Varg in prison. As he is trying to practice his tortured wails, an inmate comes us behind him and begins to rape him. As he is being raped Varg continues to sing. That is something like what these vocals sound like.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 pm 

I've been on an In Flames kick lately, and it is a great album. It's part of a trend of the melodeath father albums being the most imaginative and exploratory albums in the entire catalog of these bands (Lunar Strain, The Red in the Sky is Ours, Skydancer), and it's easily the second best In Flames album after The Jester Race.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:07 am 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Defensive reviews are the fucking worst. If your points are articulate and thorough enough, people will respect them even if they don't agree with you. Nobody gains legitimacy by appealing to straw men.

NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:17 pm 

Came here to also say that review sucked.

Gas_Snake
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:22 pm 

Funny thing is, even in the early days of the site there were plenty of negative reviews of classic albums that were hugely ignorant of the brilliance displayed in the music.

If you wish to see a demonstration, then feast your eyes on THIS!
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... onsbane/38

and THIS!
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... eMoor/2455

and in the present day, there also exists THIS!
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... n666/68424

All those edgelords doing it now (as well as a few years ago)? Guess what, they aren't even original!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm 

Well they're entitled to do negative reviews of those albums. It's just that many of them are bad reviews in and of themselves and would be bad no matter what because the writers were bad. I'm sure you could feasibly produce reasonable criticism of almost anything though.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:02 pm 

For a second there, I thought the RIP and KEA reviews were written by the same person and I was about to ask why they had such a raging hate boner for Dave Mustaine.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm 

I'm a bit shocked that a review with that even got accepted... that's so unfocused from anything that matters. And this is coming from a common hot-taker.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:52 am 

Is a 61% for Kill 'Em All what passes for extreme contrarianism these days? The review isn't framed as "listen up fans; here's where you're wrong" and the word "overrated" appears not once. If I knew nothing about Metallica I wouldn't know KEA is highly regarded by fans from reading this review. It's not well written (though not awful by 2003 standards). Don't sell me on some Ultraboris shit just to link me to some take that's barely warm.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
For a second there, I thought the RIP and KEA reviews were written by the same person and I was about to ask why they had such a raging hate boner for Dave Mustaine.

The KEA one is titled "Thank you Dave Mustaine." The real question would be "What did Mustaine do to you in the three years between those reviews?"

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 pm 

Most of Falconsbane's reviews, even the positive ones, came off as scatterbrained and occasionally childish. Most of the worst material from said writer's repertoire has been purged from the site, including a royally idiotic one paragraph write up of Cryptopsy's "None So Vile", an album that I was more lukewarm about than anything else. That Rust In Peace review is a steaming pile of excrement, but it's still within what you could call passable from a technical standpoint. Human666's The Spectre Within write up is the only one of the bunch that comes off as overt contrarianism, and I'd actually argue it's the worst of the 3. The Kill 'Em All review is sort of middling, it spends too much time talking about the author and is kinda short on objective content, but I'd stop shy of saying its terrible, especially by 2003 standards.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 pm 

Most bad reviews of old Fates Warning just come off like they didn't even try to understand it... it's valid to dislike it, but a lot of the negative critiques come off like looking at an abstract painting and going "why can't he just paint a stick figure?" It's just amusing and I don't know who it's for. I learned to stop reviewing shit that I didn't understand or to actually put in the work and analyze it deeper.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:39 am 

Damn, OzzyApu's first review in over 7 years. Welcome back, dude.

The_Black_Priest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:29 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Dude, do you still review albums on request?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:24 am 

And a shame that Orbitball is still showing up to drop a handful of stinkers. Telling us in every review that we can listen on YouTube, but it's better to buy the CD. Tired of this rubbish. 469 points after 258 reviews really summarizes the quality.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Thanks, Mets. I just had the urge to write one (took 3 days). Forgot how to write when I restarted, but I think I've got the hang of it again.

The_Black_Priest wrote:

Not sure if this is aimed at me or Met. If it's me, no. Would you even want someone who just started reviewing again after 7 years to do it?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:48 pm 

The_Black_Priest wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Make sure we know who you are talking to lol. As far as I'm concerned, I never really did reviews on request...

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:39 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
And a shame that Orbitball is still showing up to drop a handful of stinkers. Telling us in every review that we can listen on YouTube, but it's better to buy the CD. Tired of this rubbish. 469 points after 258 reviews really summarizes the quality.

Christ, he really does include that in every review. It's one thing to mention a CD (or vinyl) release exists, especially if there's something about it that makes it interesting to fans/collectors, and mentioning where it is streamable is acceptable if it's otherwise difficult to find, but there's no need to copy/paste an ethical plea into every review. Does he think he'll guilt trip people into building a CD collection?

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:27 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
including a royally idiotic one paragraph write up of Cryptopsy's "None So Vile", an album that I was more lukewarm about than anything else.

Was that the one where he accused people who like it of being "assholes"? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I remember that review being really funny because it gave the impression he had been bullied by a Cryptopsy fan. He also wrote this absolutely atrocious review for Pierced from Within:

Quote:
Suffocation is one of those bands that everyone name drops; but I have a hard time believing many people actually listen to them (the Pixies of death metal?). I suspect a few people keep their records on the shelf for the same reason others keep the phone number of that black dude they once smoked up with in college. "I'm not racist, I listen to Suffocation!" Beyond the dubious originality of their work (much of their style is derivative of Morpheus Descends and Baphomet), Suffocation have always suffered from the common flaw of most second tier bands; they're fucking boring.

Like seriously...Suffocation derivative of Morpheus Descends and fucking Baphomet??? :lol: Nothing against those bands but it gives the impression that he thought "the more underground bands I namedrop, the cooler I'll sound!" without actually taking time to do any basic research. And calling Suffocation "second tier" is just flat out wrong...

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 pm 

true_death wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
including a royally idiotic one paragraph write up of Cryptopsy's "None So Vile", an album that I was more lukewarm about than anything else.

Was that the one where he accused people who like it of being "assholes"? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I remember that review being really funny because it gave the impression he had been bullied by a Cryptopsy fan. He also wrote this absolutely atrocious review for Pierced from Within:

Quote:
Suffocation is one of those bands that everyone name drops; but I have a hard time believing many people actually listen to them (the Pixies of death metal?). I suspect a few people keep their records on the shelf for the same reason others keep the phone number of that black dude they once smoked up with in college. "I'm not racist, I listen to Suffocation!" Beyond the dubious originality of their work (much of their style is derivative of Morpheus Descends and Baphomet), Suffocation have always suffered from the common flaw of most second tier bands; they're fucking boring.

Like seriously...Suffocation derivative of Morpheus Descends and fucking Baphomet??? :lol: Nothing against those bands but it gives the impression that he thought "the more underground bands I namedrop, the cooler I'll sound!" without actually taking time to do any basic research. And calling Suffocation "second tier" is just flat out wrong...

Yes, that was the review, and even though I wasn't a major fanboy of Cryptopsy (they've grown on me a bit since but I'm still only lukewarm on None So Vile), I found it to be one of the goofiest things I've ever read on this site, and I pride myself as being among the few who has meticulously studied each of Ultraboris' comical nuggets.

Falconsbane didn't write reviews, but rather pseudo-intellectual screeds that were clearly the product of hanging around the ANUS.com crowd. That Pierced From Within review is utterly atrocious, and as someone who has heard the Morpheus Descends and Baphomet albums in question, I question whether Falconsbane had actually heard anything by either band prior to penning that abomination.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Lane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:22 am 

Cat III wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Christ, he really does include that in every review. It's one thing to mention a CD (or vinyl) release exists, especially if there's something about it that makes it interesting to fans/collectors, and mentioning where it is streamable is acceptable if it's otherwise difficult to find, but there's no need to copy/paste an ethical plea into every review. Does he think he'll guilt trip people into building a CD collection?

He just wants to make people remember that there are physical releases out there. In a way, that's not a bad thing, is it (how much the artists lose with streaming these days is unbelievable...)? But yeah, it's a recurring theme in his texts. I hope it all won't go to digital-only releases. I want to smell the booklet and deeply examine it :D

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:04 pm 

Quote:
I got this downloaded on Spotify, it's too expensive to get the CD. At least, right now that is. I think Amazon wants over $200 for this LP. No way! It's safer to go on YouTube or Spotify. Maybe digitally download the album to show the band your support for their music.

Yeah I can't stand orbitball either. So expensive, dude!!!!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:12 pm 

That should be a reject-review worthy offense - so lame to not support the artists. Most of the good new shit is on Bandcamp for 7-10 bucks now.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
That should be a reject-review worthy offense - so lame to not support the artists. Most of the good new shit is on Bandcamp for 7-10 bucks now.

Yeahhhh maybe. I'll just give him 3 points while cringing. His new Testament review is hot trash too. Just like Testament, I guess.
Quote:
If you want to show your support for Testament, buy the CD. You can download it, but give back to the band for not changing their genre like other bands, mainly Metallica.

Quote:
I was really weary of what to rate this, but I thought that I was being fair. It's an honest score. Let's just hope they'll be back for recording another album in the future. Support the band!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:50 pm 

We're all referring to Orbitball as a male, but then I saw this...

Is this an in-joke I missed since I came back to reviewing?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 ... 425  Next