Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 937
Location: Where the heart is
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:29 am 
 

Five_Nails wrote:
It seems a lot of people are reviewing albums from Careless Records.

Were they all CDs by:

Barbarity
Bestia
Blackmoon
Dismembered Corpse
Litham
Regression of Style
Tales of Blood

I'm working through those for a good review drop soon while on a short quarantine. It'll be nice to join the bunch that keep popping up. This is a solid epidemic soundtrack and that label did a good and well-timed product push.

Yeah I got contacted by Careless Records nearly a month ago but didn't particularly dig what I heard. Also Godz of War sent me an ALL CAPS message with free .zips of quite a few things. Seems a few individual artists have been on the hunt for that as well, such as the Ethereal Exile and From Beyond reviews I did.

I'd like to do more of this since I'm obviously not going out, but I'm between jobs (was supposed to be moving to Australia this week ffs) and currently sick, so...not for now.
_________________
Oxenkiller wrote:
I was driving out west to visit family for Christmas the other day, and in the middle of Nevada I turned on the radio. And guess what; lo and behold, they were playing the newest Sloth single!

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 5897
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 am 
 

Godz of War sent me a mail lately too, but I don't mind. Got to hear the new Rotting Kingdom album and it's a pretty decent doom/death metal offering. I'd easily take this over Runemagick's new stuff or Temple of Void.

Top
 Profile  
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm
Posts: 3460
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:51 pm 
 

Hell yeah Falloch are back on MA, everyone go trash them

(I don't even know if I'd like them now or not but still)

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8215
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 am 
 

Haha, I remember Falloch. They absolutely nailed a trendy style of metal jumping the shark to an extreme degree. The backlash they got (in this community, at least) was probably slightly exaggerated, but it just underlines how oversaturated that style was at the time. I'm surprised that they're still active, really.

It's also a shame that the style went so absurdly overboard, because I wrote off Fen for a long time despite being fan of their debut EP at the time. I rediscovered them recently, and they've really gone a long way. Kudos for finding their own voice, in the middle of all that.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 816
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 am 
 

oh yeeeeeah I remember that band. For some reason whenever I see the name I think "fake Agalloch".

I honestly think if they had a different name that didn't sound so close to that they wouldn't have had a microscope on them as a third-rate trend hopper. Not that the music was any good or anything, but if they had ANY other name (apart from like Falcest or something) they probably would have simply been forgotten about instead of reviled.

Bit of a bizarro theory and I'm probably one of very few who actually thinks like this...but I do recall people making jokes about the similarities.
_________________
Nolan_B wrote:
Hating ICP fans is a form of classist snobbery


BANDS I FUCK WITH:
SKYLESS AEONS - Death? Prog? Melodic? iunno
CRYOPATHY - suicidal mosh music
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE - post-black sad bois

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8215
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:11 am 
 

The name is probably partly to blame for the backlash, but at the same time, it probably helped to propel them into much larger public than the music itself would've warranted. It's a double-edged sword, and I suppose it relies greatly on the overall marketing savvy of the band to forge something that stands on its own out of the viral popularity. I think Falloch might've misjudged the jump they were taking with that one.

That said, it was also Andy Marshall's band before he started his own thing with Àrsaidh, and then Saor. He's clearly a very ambitious musician, and his lack of involvement later on would also explain why the band fizzled.

...Falcest. :lol: That would've been great.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11836
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:35 pm 
 

Damn, CHAIRTHROWER was faster.
_________________
Derigin wrote:
You look like you lift. Nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Top
 Profile  
Vadara
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 pm
Posts: 216
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:50 pm 
 

I think I want to review Deafheaven's Sunbather, mainly because despite my opinion on it being rather middling, I don't like it for almost the exact opposite reason most of the current negative reviews don't like it. With such a heavily reviewed album, you really need to have a particular reason to add yet another one.

Top
 Profile  
Absinthe1979
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:06 am
Posts: 4
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 pm 
 

Greetings - and vast apologies to all for polluting this thread with a personal query, but as a new member I'm apparently unable to send private messages to moderators etc which I was endeavouring to do, and I couldn't find it covered in the FAQ etc.

I've been pumping quite a few reviews through over the last couple of months, and they're usually approved within 24 hours. Until...I submitted a review on the March 25th, My Dying Bride - 'The Ghost of Orion', and four days later it's still sitting there, pending, like a tree branch caught on a snag in the review river, unable to flow out to the sea of acceptance.

Could a moderator please double check that it hasn't been missed or lost? I wouldn't have bothered to mention it, but it seems like a lot of other reviews are being published by members as per normal and something's fishy. I'm happy to resubmit if necessary.

Again, sorry for posting this here. I'll delete it once I know what's going on. Cheers everyone.

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11836
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:58 pm 
 

Absinthe1979 wrote:
Greetings - and vast apologies to all for polluting this thread with a personal query, but as a new member I'm apparently unable to send private messages to moderators etc which I was endeavouring to do, and I couldn't find it covered in the FAQ etc.

I've been pumping quite a few reviews through over the last couple of months, and they're usually approved within 24 hours. Until...I submitted a review on the March 25th, My Dying Bride - 'The Ghost of Orion', and four days later it's still sitting there, pending, like a tree branch caught on a snag in the review river, unable to flow out to the sea of acceptance.

Could a moderator please double check that it hasn't been missed or lost? I wouldn't have bothered to mention it, but it seems like a lot of other reviews are being published by members as per normal and something's fishy. I'm happy to resubmit if necessary.

Again, sorry for posting this here. I'll delete it once I know what's going on. Cheers everyone.

Approved now. Please don't complain about a review staying in the queue for... 4 days.
_________________
Derigin wrote:
You look like you lift. Nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Top
 Profile  
Absinthe1979
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:06 am
Posts: 4
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:09 pm 
 

Metantoine wrote:
Absinthe1979 wrote:
Greetings - and vast apologies to all for polluting this thread with a personal query, but as a new member I'm apparently unable to send private messages to moderators etc which I was endeavouring to do, and I couldn't find it covered in the FAQ etc.

I've been pumping quite a few reviews through over the last couple of months, and they're usually approved within 24 hours. Until...I submitted a review on the March 25th, My Dying Bride - 'The Ghost of Orion', and four days later it's still sitting there, pending, like a tree branch caught on a snag in the review river, unable to flow out to the sea of acceptance.

Could a moderator please double check that it hasn't been missed or lost? I wouldn't have bothered to mention it, but it seems like a lot of other reviews are being published by members as per normal and something's fishy. I'm happy to resubmit if necessary.

Again, sorry for posting this here. I'll delete it once I know what's going on. Cheers everyone.

Approved now. Please don't complain about a review staying in the queue for... 4 days.


Thanks a lot. I just wasn’t sure if that was common or a glitch. I’ll wait patiently in future.

Top
 Profile  
Absinthe1979
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:06 am
Posts: 4
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:14 pm 
 

Sorry, I can’t delete my posts here. Feel free to do so. Cheers.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9615
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:29 am 
 

For the record, reviews can't be lost in the system simply by nature of how it's set up. If it says it's pending, it's pending. Sometimes it takes us a bit longer to get to the queue because we get busy with real life and there's usually only one mod really focusing on it at any given time. Just be patient, we'll get to it eventually.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Top 50 Albums of 2010-2019 Part I
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang
ALBUM OF THE DECADE PRE-POLL

Top
 Profile  
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 937
Location: Where the heart is
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:09 am 
 

Absinthe1979, if you keep writing well you might be scribed eventually, meaning that your reviews can be accepted without moderation. Hope that happens in the end, because I've been enjoying quite a lot of yours. It seems our doom death tastes are similar, yet our opinions mostly opposite.
_________________
Oxenkiller wrote:
I was driving out west to visit family for Christmas the other day, and in the middle of Nevada I turned on the radio. And guess what; lo and behold, they were playing the newest Sloth single!

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 5897
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:00 am 
 

That recent Lunar Strain review by Dying_Hope is lame. Guy's passive aggressive behavior reminds me of Kluseba. :lol:

Quote:
I confess I did not see this coming. My relationship with In Flames began with "Soundtrack to Your Escape" as I was in high school, and is still alive to that day. But, and now come the words of a sinner, I have somehow painfully ignored the glorious melodic death metal era of In Flames. I know every album by heart from "Reroute to Remain", over the aforementioned "Soundtrack to Your Escape" to "I, the Mask". Every single album is a piece of art for me. Yes, I have said it, now the traditionalists will roll their eyes and sharpen their blades. The fact that it seems to be a factor of coolness to bash In Flames because4 they refuse to stick to traditional rules of the metal scene is beyond me, but that is another story and did not belong in this digital parchment...

Ah, fuck it... Just a few little words for every elitist out there who thinks that everything that is not Iron Maiden, Cannibal Corpse, or whatever must be shit: Be open-minded and enjoy the music, mate. I am a metalhead myself since my ninth birthday and I promise you "metal" is just a word. I walked the same misleading road of ignorance for years, and it just wasted my time denying great bands that not played their music in a way the metal community used to love. Even the glorious Metal-Archives are thrown into elitism in some ways, and I did not understand some choices the moderators do in terms of accepting a band as metal or not. I can see the reason behind it but I cannot understand every selection. And nonetheless I love this site! So please do the same, just call it "music", and you will get more open for new things. Do not let good music slip through your fingers just because it do not fit anything you idolize. It will open new ways for you, and you will be very happy with it. You are not forced to like everything, but try to respect it in some ways.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10485
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:53 pm 
 

To anyone who still puts stuff like that in a review, give it a rest already.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 149
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:25 pm 
 

Always funny to see another exploitation of the modern In Flames hater strawman. People don't hate modern In Flames because it's not tr00 m3t4l. They hate it because it's stereotypical, formulaic, whiny, and unimaginative. I could name a few songs by Breaking Benjamin that are quite superior to, say, the title track of "Come Clarity".

That review kinda made me want to listen to Lunar Strain again, though. I haven't heard it in a while and I used to enjoy it quite a bit.
_________________
The_Evil_Hat wrote:
Now imagine Varg in prison. As he is trying to practice his tortured wails, an inmate comes us behind him and begins to rape him. As he is being raped Varg continues to sing. That is something like what these vocals sound like.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 pm 
 

I've been on an In Flames kick lately, and it is a great album. It's part of a trend of the melodeath father albums being the most imaginative and exploratory albums in the entire catalog of these bands (Lunar Strain, The Red in the Sky is Ours, Skydancer), and it's easily the second best In Flames album after The Jester Race.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4968
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:07 am 
 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Defensive reviews are the fucking worst. If your points are articulate and thorough enough, people will respect them even if they don't agree with you. Nobody gains legitimacy by appealing to straw men.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:36 pm
Posts: 18
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:17 pm 
 

Came here to also say that review sucked.

Top
 Profile  
Gas_Snake
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 17
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:22 pm 
 

Funny thing is, even in the early days of the site there were plenty of negative reviews of classic albums that were hugely ignorant of the brilliance displayed in the music.

If you wish to see a demonstration, then feast your eyes on THIS!
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... onsbane/38

and THIS!
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... eMoor/2455

and in the present day, there also exists THIS!
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... n666/68424

All those edgelords doing it now (as well as a few years ago)? Guess what, they aren't even original!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27671
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm 
 

Well they're entitled to do negative reviews of those albums. It's just that many of them are bad reviews in and of themselves and would be bad no matter what because the writers were bad. I'm sure you could feasibly produce reasonable criticism of almost anything though.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Friend Request

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4968
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:02 pm 
 

For a second there, I thought the RIP and KEA reviews were written by the same person and I was about to ask why they had such a raging hate boner for Dave Mustaine.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Sweetie
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am
Posts: 904
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm 
 

I'm a bit shocked that a review with that even got accepted... that's so unfocused from anything that matters. And this is coming from a common hot-taker.
_________________
"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

Top
 Profile  
Cat III
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am
Posts: 350
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:52 am 
 

Is a 61% for Kill 'Em All what passes for extreme contrarianism these days? The review isn't framed as "listen up fans; here's where you're wrong" and the word "overrated" appears not once. If I knew nothing about Metallica I wouldn't know KEA is highly regarded by fans from reading this review. It's not well written (though not awful by 2003 standards). Don't sell me on some Ultraboris shit just to link me to some take that's barely warm.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
For a second there, I thought the RIP and KEA reviews were written by the same person and I was about to ask why they had such a raging hate boner for Dave Mustaine.

The KEA one is titled "Thank you Dave Mustaine." The real question would be "What did Mustaine do to you in the three years between those reviews?"
_________________
1st wave is best wave.
-
Latest Review: Sausage Fingers - The Revenge of Drummy Mcsheen

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2462
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 pm 
 

Most of Falconsbane's reviews, even the positive ones, came off as scatterbrained and occasionally childish. Most of the worst material from said writer's repertoire has been purged from the site, including a royally idiotic one paragraph write up of Cryptopsy's "None So Vile", an album that I was more lukewarm about than anything else. That Rust In Peace review is a steaming pile of excrement, but it's still within what you could call passable from a technical standpoint. Human666's The Spectre Within write up is the only one of the bunch that comes off as overt contrarianism, and I'd actually argue it's the worst of the 3. The Kill 'Em All review is sort of middling, it spends too much time talking about the author and is kinda short on objective content, but I'd stop shy of saying its terrible, especially by 2003 standards.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27671
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 pm 
 

Most bad reviews of old Fates Warning just come off like they didn't even try to understand it... it's valid to dislike it, but a lot of the negative critiques come off like looking at an abstract painting and going "why can't he just paint a stick figure?" It's just amusing and I don't know who it's for. I learned to stop reviewing shit that I didn't understand or to actually put in the work and analyze it deeper.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Friend Request

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11836
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:39 am 
 

Damn, OzzyApu's first review in over 7 years. Welcome back, dude.
_________________
Derigin wrote:
You look like you lift. Nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Top
 Profile  
The_Black_Priest
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:10 am
Posts: 236
Location: India
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:29 am 
 

Metantoine wrote:
Damn, OzzyApu's first review in over 7 years. Welcome back, dude.



Dude, do you still review albums on request?

Top
 Profile  
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 937
Location: Where the heart is
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:24 am 
 

And a shame that Orbitball is still showing up to drop a handful of stinkers. Telling us in every review that we can listen on YouTube, but it's better to buy the CD. Tired of this rubbish. 469 points after 258 reviews really summarizes the quality.
_________________
Oxenkiller wrote:
I was driving out west to visit family for Christmas the other day, and in the middle of Nevada I turned on the radio. And guess what; lo and behold, they were playing the newest Sloth single!

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10485
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 pm 
 

Metantoine wrote:
Damn, OzzyApu's first review in over 7 years. Welcome back, dude.

Thanks, Mets. I just had the urge to write one (took 3 days). Forgot how to write when I restarted, but I think I've got the hang of it again.

The_Black_Priest wrote:
Dude, do you still review albums on request?

Not sure if this is aimed at me or Met. If it's me, no. Would you even want someone who just started reviewing again after 7 years to do it?
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11836
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:48 pm 
 

The_Black_Priest wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Damn, OzzyApu's first review in over 7 years. Welcome back, dude.



Dude, do you still review albums on request?

Make sure we know who you are talking to lol. As far as I'm concerned, I never really did reviews on request...
_________________
Derigin wrote:
You look like you lift. Nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Top
 Profile  
Cat III
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am
Posts: 350
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:39 pm 
 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
And a shame that Orbitball is still showing up to drop a handful of stinkers. Telling us in every review that we can listen on YouTube, but it's better to buy the CD. Tired of this rubbish. 469 points after 258 reviews really summarizes the quality.

Christ, he really does include that in every review. It's one thing to mention a CD (or vinyl) release exists, especially if there's something about it that makes it interesting to fans/collectors, and mentioning where it is streamable is acceptable if it's otherwise difficult to find, but there's no need to copy/paste an ethical plea into every review. Does he think he'll guilt trip people into building a CD collection?
_________________
1st wave is best wave.
-
Latest Review: Sausage Fingers - The Revenge of Drummy Mcsheen

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 2023
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:27 pm 
 

hells_unicorn wrote:
including a royally idiotic one paragraph write up of Cryptopsy's "None So Vile", an album that I was more lukewarm about than anything else.


Was that the one where he accused people who like it of being "assholes"? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I remember that review being really funny because it gave the impression he had been bullied by a Cryptopsy fan. He also wrote this absolutely atrocious review for Pierced from Within:

Quote:
Suffocation is one of those bands that everyone name drops; but I have a hard time believing many people actually listen to them (the Pixies of death metal?). I suspect a few people keep their records on the shelf for the same reason others keep the phone number of that black dude they once smoked up with in college. "I'm not racist, I listen to Suffocation!" Beyond the dubious originality of their work (much of their style is derivative of Morpheus Descends and Baphomet), Suffocation have always suffered from the common flaw of most second tier bands; they're fucking boring.


Like seriously...Suffocation derivative of Morpheus Descends and fucking Baphomet??? :lol: Nothing against those bands but it gives the impression that he thought "the more underground bands I namedrop, the cooler I'll sound!" without actually taking time to do any basic research. And calling Suffocation "second tier" is just flat out wrong...
_________________
"My lifestyle, determines my deathstyle"

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2462
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 pm 
 

true_death wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
including a royally idiotic one paragraph write up of Cryptopsy's "None So Vile", an album that I was more lukewarm about than anything else.


Was that the one where he accused people who like it of being "assholes"? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I remember that review being really funny because it gave the impression he had been bullied by a Cryptopsy fan. He also wrote this absolutely atrocious review for Pierced from Within:

Quote:
Suffocation is one of those bands that everyone name drops; but I have a hard time believing many people actually listen to them (the Pixies of death metal?). I suspect a few people keep their records on the shelf for the same reason others keep the phone number of that black dude they once smoked up with in college. "I'm not racist, I listen to Suffocation!" Beyond the dubious originality of their work (much of their style is derivative of Morpheus Descends and Baphomet), Suffocation have always suffered from the common flaw of most second tier bands; they're fucking boring.


Like seriously...Suffocation derivative of Morpheus Descends and fucking Baphomet??? :lol: Nothing against those bands but it gives the impression that he thought "the more underground bands I namedrop, the cooler I'll sound!" without actually taking time to do any basic research. And calling Suffocation "second tier" is just flat out wrong...


Yes, that was the review, and even though I wasn't a major fanboy of Cryptopsy (they've grown on me a bit since but I'm still only lukewarm on None So Vile), I found it to be one of the goofiest things I've ever read on this site, and I pride myself as being among the few who has meticulously studied each of Ultraboris' comical nuggets.

Falconsbane didn't write reviews, but rather pseudo-intellectual screeds that were clearly the product of hanging around the ANUS.com crowd. That Pierced From Within review is utterly atrocious, and as someone who has heard the Morpheus Descends and Baphomet albums in question, I question whether Falconsbane had actually heard anything by either band prior to penning that abomination.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Lane
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:54 am
Posts: 336
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:22 am 
 

Cat III wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
And a shame that Orbitball is still showing up to drop a handful of stinkers. Telling us in every review that we can listen on YouTube, but it's better to buy the CD. Tired of this rubbish. 469 points after 258 reviews really summarizes the quality.

Christ, he really does include that in every review. It's one thing to mention a CD (or vinyl) release exists, especially if there's something about it that makes it interesting to fans/collectors, and mentioning where it is streamable is acceptable if it's otherwise difficult to find, but there's no need to copy/paste an ethical plea into every review. Does he think he'll guilt trip people into building a CD collection?


He just wants to make people remember that there are physical releases out there. In a way, that's not a bad thing, is it (how much the artists lose with streaming these days is unbelievable...)? But yeah, it's a recurring theme in his texts. I hope it all won't go to digital-only releases. I want to smell the booklet and deeply examine it :D

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11836
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:04 pm 
 

Quote:
I got this downloaded on Spotify, it's too expensive to get the CD. At least, right now that is. I think Amazon wants over $200 for this LP. No way! It's safer to go on YouTube or Spotify. Maybe digitally download the album to show the band your support for their music.

Yeah I can't stand orbitball either. So expensive, dude!!!!

Image
_________________
Derigin wrote:
You look like you lift. Nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27671
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:12 pm 
 

That should be a reject-review worthy offense - so lame to not support the artists. Most of the good new shit is on Bandcamp for 7-10 bucks now.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Friend Request

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11836
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
That should be a reject-review worthy offense - so lame to not support the artists. Most of the good new shit is on Bandcamp for 7-10 bucks now.

Yeahhhh maybe. I'll just give him 3 points while cringing. His new Testament review is hot trash too. Just like Testament, I guess.
Quote:
If you want to show your support for Testament, buy the CD. You can download it, but give back to the band for not changing their genre like other bands, mainly Metallica.

Quote:
I was really weary of what to rate this, but I thought that I was being fair. It's an honest score. Let's just hope they'll be back for recording another album in the future. Support the band!
_________________
Derigin wrote:
You look like you lift. Nice.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10485
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:50 pm 
 

We're all referring to Orbitball as a male, but then I saw this...

Image

Is this an in-joke I missed since I came back to reviewing?
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 ... 425  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group