Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:24 pm 

Their profile has been that way as long as I've been aware of it. I think given the age people assume that information isn't true and as such they're a dude.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:15 pm 

It's apparently his mom and she's his legal guardian.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:55 am 

That new Testament review (Titans of Creation) by Orbitball is....nothing but incoherent rambling about middle-aged men, innovation and lack thereof, plus weird statements like "Testament have never changed their style, unlike Metallica" which is simply wrong.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:22 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
We're all referring to Orbitball as a male, but then I saw this...

Is this an in-joke I missed since I came back to reviewing?

That’s right, she’s 71 years old. I wonder why she isn’t begging us to buy the vinyl? Or wax cylinder recordings?

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:19 pm 

If Autopsy or Sabbat released a wax cylinder recording I'd be all over it.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:52 pm 

Lane wrote:
Cat III wrote:
Christ, he really does include that in every review. It's one thing to mention a CD (or vinyl) release exists, especially if there's something about it that makes it interesting to fans/collectors, and mentioning where it is streamable is acceptable if it's otherwise difficult to find, but there's no need to copy/paste an ethical plea into every review. Does he think he'll guilt trip people into building a CD collection?

He just wants to make people remember that there are physical releases out there. In a way, that's not a bad thing, is it (how much the artists lose with streaming these days is unbelievable...)? But yeah, it's a recurring theme in his texts. I hope it all won't go to digital-only releases. I want to smell the booklet and deeply examine it :D

I own hundreds of CDs, hundreds of records, and a handful of cassettes so this isn't coming from someone opposed to physical media. Considering Orbit's reviews are generally 3-4 paragraphs, one of which is always dedicated to telling the reader to buy the CD, it is a problem. I've mentioned physical releases in my own reviews, but that's to let the reader know what specific version I listened to and/or if that version has some quality worth mentioning. Readers can be trusted to figure out what physical releases exist and are available. Whether readers decide to buy physical products is up to them. To make the case for the former option, Orbitball can publish an opinion piece on a blog, or start a thread in the forums. It's not necessary to make the case in every. single. review.

To my understanding, it's not true that bands make no money from streaming and downloads. Since they don't have to cover the costs of shipping and creating the product, they receive most of the money when someone downloads their album through Bandcamp. Streaming/downloading also provide a revenue source long after they've run out of stock of the CD/vinyl/cassette.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:09 pm 

Yes, Orbitball's reviews aren't very good.

Also...

'Testament have never changed their style, unlike Metallica'

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:30 pm 

Yeah, Orbitball's review comes up way short in the coherence department, kinda wish he'd lay off on the tangents and stick to a single theme, and I'll echo Cat III's sentiments on the obsessing over physical media as I also have a sizable collection of CDs and vinyl.

Anyway, I put my own review up just now to try to inject a bit more relevant content into Testament's latest album, though admittedly I loved it so there is a fair amount of gushing over it. lol

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:05 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Yeah, Orbitball's review comes up way short in the coherence department, kinda wish he'd lay off on the tangents and stick to a single theme, and I'll echo Cat III's sentiments on the obsessing over physical media as I also have a sizable collection of CDs and vinyl.

Anyway, I put my own review up just now to try to inject a bit more relevant content into Testament's latest album, though admittedly I loved it so there is a fair amount of gushing over it. lol

Your review makes me want to check out the new Testament now.

Also, I think you are the only person I now know who consistently writes "lol" in all their posts. I'd love to see you get a custom title like "Lol's unicorn".

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:21 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

Your review makes me want to check out the new Testament now.

Also, I think you are the only person I now know who consistently writes "lol" in all their posts. I'd love to see you get a custom title like "Lol's unicorn".

Yeah, I do have a habit of writing like I'm perpetually stuck in a 2001 chat room, I think primarily because it's how I tend to talk when texting my friends, who are almost exclusively Gen X types. I had a nickname back in the day due to my then frequently negative reviews of groove metal albums, but I think I'm happy just being a regular metalhead.

Thanks for the feedback on my Testament review, I actually got a thank you from Erick Peterson on it due to Sonic Perspectives' owner being friends with most of the band. :headbang:

My reviews.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:41 pm 

I don't even bother with Orbitball reviews anymore.

On a different note, that Stryper review was rough (and the score was 100% but they said "only 2 negatives"). HOWEVER I'm glad to see SOMEBODY on here that isn't me who likes In God We Trust.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:24 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
On a different note, that Stryper review was rough (and the score was 100% but they said "only 2 negatives"). HOWEVER I'm glad to see SOMEBODY on here that isn't me who likes In God We Trust.

I like it, just haven't gotten around to reviewing it yet. I generally enjoy all of Stryper's discography, though I don't tend to listen to it as often as I do W.A.S.P. and Twisted Sister.

My reviews.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:46 pm 

Pretty much how I am.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm 

Psycho_Dome's Load review reads like every other metal boomer post on my Facebook feed, especially those first three paragraphs.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:21 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Psycho_Dome's Load review reads like every other metal boomer post on my Facebook feed, especially those first three paragraphs.

Yeah, I basically agree with his overall premise, but he probably could have been a bit more artful in presenting his case. Maybe I'm becoming a boomer myself, because 24 years later and that album still sucks. :-P

My reviews.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:03 am 

Load is one of my first musical memories, actually, or rather the videos that came out around the time of that album's release. Yeah, 24 years and still sucking!

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Lane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 pm 

From Psycho_Dome's 'Load' review:
Quote:
Again, the music videos are atrocious; they're big budget – poor creativity.

Well, I think one for 'Until It Sleeps' is pretty artistic actually. Inspired by Hieronymous Bosch... Poor creativity?!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:59 pm 

P_D outed himself as a dumbshit years ago and that review basically just reinforces that. It's not even that I take issue with the opinion itself (I don't like Load either) but every single word of that review just oozes that oldnoobery that I loathe so much. Honestly wish he would've just gotten the message and fucked off years ago.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 pm 

Lane wrote:
From Psycho_Dome's 'Load' review:
Quote:
Again, the music videos are atrocious; they're big budget – poor creativity.

Well, I think one for 'Until It Sleeps' is pretty artistic actually. Inspired by Hieronymous Bosch... Poor creativity?!

Poor creativity is a pretty asinine way of trying to describe that music video. I found it to be cringe-inducing, self-important rubbish myself, but that is most likely fueled for my revulsion over the song itself and the album as a whole. I honestly got more enjoyment out of the goofy montage of studio footage that was used for the Nothing Else Matters video than I did out of that piss poor attempt at being artsy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement with everyone here that Dome's review is trying way too hard to be edgy and is an awkward read. At some point I was considering revamping my old review for said album, both to clean up the wording a bit and also to reflect my current and somewhat more negative opinion of it.

My reviews.

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:27 pm 

He was banned from the forum for fucking holocaust denial, and after that tried to come back with different account ("Psyche_Dome", I'm not kidding you). I'm not particularly interested in what he has to say about music.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm 

Lolpah wrote:
He was banned from the forum for fucking holocaust denial, and after that tried to come back with different account ("Psyche_Dome", I'm not kidding you). I'm not particularly interested in what he has to say about music.

Not to derail this thread, but what was his old handle? I'm not remembering it for some reason.

My reviews.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:55 pm 

It's the same handle, looks like he was only banned on the forum. Whether or not that's an oversight is above my pay grade, but the point is yeah fuck that guy. Completely unsurprising that his reviews exude the same shitty old guy energy.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It's the same handle, looks like he was only banned on the forum. Whether or not that's an oversight is above my pay grade, but the point is yeah fuck that guy. Completely unsurprising that his reviews exude the same shitty old guy energy.

Gotcha, I took an extended vacation from most of the forum save the review section so I wasn't sure if he was somebody that I'd encountered back in the early 2010s or possibly earlier who started a new account or not, so I'm definitely not familiar with the guy's exploits outside of writing lackluster reviews.

My reviews.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:54 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
P_D outed himself as a dumbshit years ago

My first interaction, and what actually first brought me to this thread, was when he told me my Dystopia review (which in all honesty I'm somewhat ashamed of and am looking forward to rewriting) was incorrect because Dave Mustaine's claims about the meaning behind the lyrics contradicted my own observations and interpretations. He told me that I needed to take my review down for that reason.

Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!
Listen to my other band's new demo!

Submaniac
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:24 pm 

It's the first time I have 3 times!!! rejection from the moderator.
Really don't know what to add to this review:

https://www.metal-archives.com/review/write/id/216349

Please, advise, suggest

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 pm 

Submaniac wrote:

Please, advise, suggest

We can't see your drafts, even if you link to them. Instead, post the text in this thread and the users can help you out.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:42 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
We're all referring to Orbitball as a male, but then I saw this...

Is this an in-joke I missed since I came back to reviewing?

That’s right, she’s 71 years old. I wonder why she isn’t begging us to buy the vinyl? Or wax cylinder recordings?

I'm a little late, but there is a Laura Fannuchi-Banash out there and she appears to be 71 years old. Whether she has any relation to Orbitball is currently unclear :lol:

Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!
Listen to my other band's new demo!

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:44 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
I'm a little late, but there is a Laura Fannuchi-Banash out there and she appears to be 71 years old. Whether she has any relation to Orbitball is currently unclear :lol:

You gotta be kidding me! :lol:

On an unrelated note, I decided to tackle Cirith Ungol's discography in anticipation of their upcoming album (which I've been tapped to review for Sonic Perspectives). I've been toiling over how to approach reviewing these albums for more than a decade and I welcome any criticism, constructive or destructive of course. :-P

My reviews.

Submaniac
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:09 am 

Here's is the review itself, don't know else I should add, everything seems clear:

Apocalyptic Symphony
Shadow Host

Review title / summary :
From the Neverland to Bay-Area

Your review :
With this LP Shadow Host has finished the transformation from the epic power-metal influenced by early Blind-Guardian, Iced Earth and Nevermore to the genre Alexey Arzamazov has always secretly worshiped together with his bandmates - Yuriy Naliotov and Alexey Markov.

Moving from long, structurally complicated 7-8 minuted epics to shorter straight thrashy, kick-ass hard anthems Shadow Host has chosen their new path on the way of the revitalizing old-style thrash metal getting popular on both Atlantic coasts.

A few years passed from Shadow Host previous release ("Bringer of Revenge", 2011) and the band has recruited new ambitious members (Alexey Markov on vocals, Artyom Molodtsov on bass and Erland Sivolapov on drums). The new blood gave a big punch to Arzamazov's creative fuse. Together with Naliotov they managed to write a pile of very fast and technical songs, probably the fastest in the history of the band.
Some may claim that the songs still lack catchy riffs, however all the tracks preserve the genre spirit and character - the feature that Alexey Arzamazov has always tried to implement in his music. Nevertheless "Lunacy Divine" and "Blinded by Greed" are absolute killers remaining the essential part of all current Shadow Host live-shows.
"Seeds of Sorrow" is a rather unexpected semi-ballad combining "blind guardian" acoustic intro and practically major chorus in "rage" style. Another nice punch!
However, the finishing track - "Apocalypse Within" - brings you back to the present reality: "No way back to Shadowland - it's thrash metal baby!"
Bombastic style of Sivolapov's drumming brought more stacatto in Shadow Host songs which became sharp and crunchy. 2 guitar solo battles between Arzamazov and Naliotov also presents the typical features of classic thrash metal where the band has been moving during the recent 5 years.

Therefore Shadow Host seems to be on the proper way to finally win the glory they deserve. Some more steps in writing catchy riffs and these guys may find themselves on the top.

BastardHead wrote:
Submaniac wrote:

Please, advise, suggest

We can't see your drafts, even if you link to them. Instead, post the text in this thread and the users can help you out.

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:14 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Lolpah wrote:

Not to derail this thread, but what was his old handle? I'm not remembering it for some reason.
Psycho_Dome was the original handle, the handle he tried to come back with was Psyche_Dome (hence "I'm not kidding you").

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:16 pm 

Lolpah wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
Lolpah wrote:

Psycho_Dome was the original handle, the handle he tried to come back with was Psyche_Dome (hence "I'm not kidding you").

Gotcha, I missed the "E" at the end of the new handle so I misunderstood that part of your post. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been terribly active on the forum outside of the review section for a long time (going back to around 2012 actually), so there are some newer members here that I've never encountered.

My reviews.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:03 am 

Got excited as soon as I saw BH reviewed the new Testament record, and rightfully so. Basically shares the same opinion as me. Especially because a 40ish percent on his scale is equivalent to a 60ish percent on mine. ;)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:26 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

She's his mother. For whatever reason, and not really our business, she takes legal responsibility as his point of contact online. Orbitball is a man in his 40s.

Regarding Psycho_Dome, it's usually not our practice to ban someone from the site when they receive a forum ban.

Also, apologies if the review queue has been a tad slow recently. I haven't had much enthusiasm for doing it due to the pandemic. But that's no longer the case.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:15 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Got excited as soon as I saw BH reviewed the new Testament record, and rightfully so. Basically shares the same opinion as me. Especially because a 40ish percent on his scale is equivalent to a 60ish percent on mine. ;)

I don't mean to come between yous.

Or do I?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:51 pm 

It's worth the raw ride :lol:

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:16 pm 

Yep, BH hitting the nail on the head with that album and basically all modern Testament albums. The aesthetics are extremely on point and in some ways are an improvement from their older material but they do not have the songs to go with it. Then again I'm not a fan of the band really; I don't think the band ever put out a truly great album, so make of that what you will.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:22 am 

Modern Testament is just a retirement home for tired metal musicians who want to spend their last days playing dementia metal while they fill their diapers and daydream about that new hospital bed they wanna buy.

Anyway BH once again I am gotta say that analogy paragraph fucking sucks man, it's so long and awkward and unhelpful. You even point out that it is hamfisted in your own review! That's some obnoxious fourth-wall breaking shit where the character addresses a reader / viewer and goes "Man don't you hate it when *media* does *X*? That sure is fucking self-indulgent and annoying". If you think it's hamfisted, the reader certainly does and finds it even more intolerable than you.

The actual meat of the review is decent (usual editing, clean up would help) but that opening paragraph left such an awful taste in my mouth.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Then again I'm not a fan of the band really; I don't think the band ever put out a truly great album, so make of that what you will.

Their entire schtick was "Metallica but worse". They're the metal equivalent of the "Second best band in America" Lisa Simpson imagines herself being in.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:19 am 

> sees Z posted
> oh god he's gonna point out the long comparison sucks again

I keep doing that because it helps me contextualize stuff. It doesn't work for everybody (possibly not even most people) but it helps me compartmentalize and sort things out. It's how my brain works.

I do agree that I've been running low on mojo for a while and haven't been happy with my last handful of reviews, but they're not all gonna be winners and I feel like whenever I go on an extended break I only come back rustier, so I've been pumping them out on occasion anyway. So yeah thanks to everybody who liked it but I'd definitely put that one somewhere in my lower third over the last twelve years.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:27 am 

BastardHead wrote:
> sees Z posted

I keep doing that because it helps me contextualize stuff. It doesn't work for everybody (possibly not even most people) but it helps me compartmentalize and sort things out. It's how my brain works.

I do agree that I've been running low on mojo for a while and haven't been happy with my last handful of reviews, but they're not all gonna be winners and I feel like whenever I go on an extended break I only come back rustier, so I've been pumping them out on occasion anyway. So yeah thanks to everybody who liked it but I'd definitely put that one somewhere in my lower third over the last twelve years.

It comes from a place of love.

I cannot remember if you have ever divulged your writing process but if you're not feeling great about a review after finish it you can always just sit on it and come back later to read it and further refine it. I get the impression you're writing for the sake of shaking off the cobwebs and clearing out the detritus in your mind; that's great! Doesn't mean you have to post everything you write in that time.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 am 

zeingard wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
> sees Z posted

It comes from a place of love.

I cannot remember if you have ever divulged your writing process but if you're not feeling great about a review after finish it you can always just sit on it and come back later to read it and further refine it. I get the impression you're writing for the sake of shaking off the cobwebs and clearing out the detritus in your mind; that's great! Doesn't mean you have to post everything you write in that time.

Yeah I've basically been idling to keep the engine clean since January, lol. My process has always been to write everything in one sitting and post the first draft as the final product. The amount of reviews I've let sit and come back to edit/revise/finish later over the years can probably be counted on two hands. I'm not happy with a lot of things, but I post them anyway just to get them out there and, admittedly, there's a part of me that knows I'm "a name" here so there will be people who either overlook or don't notice the things I whiff on (I even take a potshot at myself for this in my Serpent Column review because I've always lampshaded my bad habits in favor of actually fixing them). It's total arrogance and/or hubris, and there's a reason I avoid giving advice to newbies, because I know the way I do things gives bad results more often than not and my popularity here is a complete fluke.

There's a reason I appreciate the more harsh criticisms of my work though, because I've always learned best when thrown to the wolves. I may not always stop whatever people don't like entirely but it does at the very least make me more aware of things that don't work and may make me try to mitigate them. You never hold back, Acrobat and Ilwhyan are both totally unafraid to chirp at me if I lay a stinker, and I talk to Necroticism offsite all the time and he is hands down the most brutal "reviewer of reviews" I know (I don't remember which one it was, but a few years ago I wrote one that got a good amount of kudos on the forum before he messaged me to tell me it was total dogshit :lol:). Any observing smaller guys out there right now: don't be intimidated by my red name or reputation here. I absolutely will not get better if you allow a circle jerk to happen.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420 ... 425  Next