Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 pm 

How to piss off death metalheads. Step One.

Check out my reviews

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:43 am 

That review hurt to read. I'm gonna guess that's the first review this guy's ever written anywhere on the internet. That's the only explanation for this.

Also, I don't know whether his username means that he was born in 1998 or he only likes Gorguts from 1998 on, but it totally wouldn't surprise me if he thinks old school death metal like this is too "primitive".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:06 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Drinking game: Take a shot every time Orbitball says they prefer old Opeth.

Having never seriously listened to Opeth, that's literally the only thing I learned from his two reviews.

Though I must say, he, along with Edmund Sackbauer and someone else I don't remember now, belong in that league of reviewers I simply turn away after I read their names on a review. I cannot take their opinion seriously when they continuously churn out 85+% ratings (it doesn't help that the reviews are not that interesting on their own, of course).

Subrick wrote:
I'm gonna guess that's the first review this guy's ever written anywhere on the internet. That's the only explanation for this.

Reviewing Altars of Madness has the same problems emerged with Reign in Blood in my opinion... dare I say it's even more tricky because it needs to be contextualized even more (i.e. like Napero brilliantly did) and not judged like it came out yesterday.

I think that if you want to write about these albums, you should always ask yourself first: "would I add anything of value to the site?" (obviously it's a question that's valid for every album, but even more so on these classics where 30+ people already expressed their thoughts).

Oh, and if Altars of Madness only consisted in Sandoval's drum track for the entire album, it would still be worthy of more than 55%. Fact.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:36 am 

I think I could recite about 50% of any given Orbitball review right now. At least Sackbauer is covering more interesting stuff, but yes, in an incredibly bland manner.

My main criterion for my own reviews is not to repeat what I've said in the others. If I manage that, I try not to repeat what others have said in theirs.

~Guest 927084
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am 

According to Orbitball's profile, they're a 72 year old woman... which has taken their reviews from awful, to still awful but slightly endearing.

MARK9000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:39 pm 

Gathering from previous posts about Orbitball, it's been already said that Orbitball's account is handled by his mother, or something like that... From what I remember.

Simply, I can't think of any user who uses an AOL email address...

~Guest 927084
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:51 pm 

MARK9000 wrote:
Gathering from previous posts about Orbitball, it's been already said that Orbitball's account is handled by his mother, or something like that... From what I remember.

Simply, I can't think of any user who uses an AOL email address...

Now I feel the need to do some rummaging...

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:00 pm 

Hey Bart joined to boost his review scores.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:29 pm 

I hope Andreas keeps up the Helloween reviews. I always love when the discography series reviews sprinkle in a little extra backstory.

cdedsml
Another JS Account

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:28 am 

Not bagging on FLIPPITYFLOOP here, but I've noticed a trend lately of reviewers flipping out over bands that are a little off the wall lately: Meads of Asphodel review.

Quote:
Straight up, The Meads of Asphodel are NOT for everyone – and I wouldn’t expect a band as zany as this to intend as such. I’m going to do something that seasoned listeners of this band might consider brave, and attempt to describe what they actually sound like... this album will not only bounce between them all from song to song, but even within the same song. While I believe that part of enjoying this album involves understanding the band’s schtick and while some may get put off by their outlandish concoction...

Compared to the previews meads albums, ROOTDN is pretty subdued. The album alternates between short, motorheadish songs with simple riffs and catchy choruses, and longer, slower tracks that have interludes between the metal riffing. I really don't think it's all that complicated or mind blowing. If instead of sombre lounge music it was filled with jaunty celtic melodies you could call it regular old folk metal. Do folks only listen to 80's thrash in order to find something like this so outrageous? :P

That aside though, it's a pretty good review and it's nice to see the Meads getting some recognition for their amazing work. :D FLIPPITYFLOOP, I'd love to see your take on their Jihad EP!

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm 

cdedsml wrote:
Not bagging on FLIPPITYFLOOP here, but I've noticed a trend lately of reviewers flipping out over bands that are a little off the wall lately: Meads of Asphodel review.

Quote:
Straight up, The Meads of Asphodel are NOT for everyone – and I wouldn’t expect a band as zany as this to intend as such. I’m going to do something that seasoned listeners of this band might consider brave, and attempt to describe what they actually sound like... this album will not only bounce between them all from song to song, but even within the same song. While I believe that part of enjoying this album involves understanding the band’s schtick and while some may get put off by their outlandish concoction...

Compared to the previews meads albums, ROOTDN is pretty subdued. The album alternates between short, motorheadish songs with simple riffs and catchy choruses, and longer, slower tracks that have interludes between the metal riffing. I really don't think it's all that complicated or mind blowing. If instead of sombre lounge music it was filled with jaunty celtic melodies you could call it regular old folk metal. Do folks only listen to 80's thrash in order to find something like this so outrageous? :P

That aside though, it's a pretty good review and it's nice to see the Meads getting some recognition for their amazing work. :D FLIPPITYFLOOP, I'd love to see your take on their Jihad EP!

Another trend is that whenever someone gives a classic metal album a lousy score, someone else tries to counterfeit it by adding in a positive review. It happened with the Reign in Blood album and happened again with Altars of Madness.

Check out my reviews

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:32 pm 

cdedsml wrote:

Quote:

Really? I found this one to be the least black metal and the most all-over-the-place stylistically! I'm curious now to give a listen while taking a tally of how many genres are here :P we'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess! Cool with me :)

Granted I'm still a newer listener to this band; I've heard each full length aside from the debut, but have listened to ROOTDN and Sonderkommando the most. What I've heard of the Jihad EP is quite good, though still gotta give it a full listen. It's on the list!

EDIT - By the way, thrash is probably my least listened-to subgenre of metal ;)

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:07 am 

goatmoon fight!

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:12 am 

Yeah but not to be taken seriously. Wilytank gives negative reviews to raw black metal yet positively reviews Encoffination which is more primitive and rudimentary than the laziest Tank Genocide demo. A single Ildjarn song probably has more riffs than Encoffination's entire discography.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:41 pm 

Nice In Flames "A Sense of Purpose" review from Voice_Of_Steel.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 pm 

Encoffination, man. That shit needs to be trashed more.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 pm 

nuklearkrieg wrote:
goatmoon fight!

That most recent positive review was actually written by a sockpuppet whose main account already had another 100% review posted for Finnish Steel Storm (and had similarly doubled-up reviews across another 20 or so albums). That review's been removed and both accounts banned.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:58 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
That shit needs to be trashed more.

Are you referring to A Sense of Purpose? I've read your assessment of it as well as written my own. I don't mind it (the weak link is obviously the vocals), as it's the last In Flames album that had genuine vestiges of their signature sound. There is some crap, of course. Like, Disconnected and I'm The Highway are pretty good songs, but the plodding stomp of Move Through Me and the whiny crawl of The Chosen Pessimist are just bad.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:55 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Napalm_Satan wrote:
That shit needs to be trashed more.

Are you referring to A Sense of Purpose? I've read your assessment of it as well as written my own. I don't mind it (the weak link is obviously the vocals), as it's the last In Flames album that had genuine vestiges of their signature sound. There is some crap, of course. Like, Disconnected and I'm The Highway are pretty good songs, but the plodding stomp of Move Through Me and the whiny crawl of The Chosen Pessimist are just bad.

Napalm_Satan wrote:

No, no I wasn't. Also, I've never reviewed said In Flames album.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:08 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:

Eventually. I once got suckered in with the weird ass Incantation comparisons and almost could feel something of value there for a short while, but the truth is the guy from Tank Genocide or even Dom from Sloth could put out two Encoffination albums per week and it wouldn't be any worse than the real thing.

Anyway, if the "Goatmoon fight" is positive reviews from sockpuppet accounts and negative reviews from obvious trolls, it would certainly explain why I have never heard of the "legendary" Goatmoon before.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:22 pm 

Daily reminder that too much salt will kill you.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:17 pm 

Annable Court's 'Domination' review is very much into the point. I love the album, and feel it is not a sell-out record.

Great work!!!

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:21 pm 

Didn't read it, I read the other one. And as soon as it went to "the production" as the only thing to talk about I tuned out again since that's 99% of the M-A reviews of the last five years. I wonder how far we are from people campaigning to replace the musicians from the band line-ups with the producers.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:38 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Anyway, if the "Goatmoon fight" is positive reviews from sockpuppet accounts and negative reviews from obvious trolls, it would certainly explain why I have never heard of the "legendary" Goatmoon before.

What? There's no way you've never heard about them before. I first heard of them when I was like 14 and still a noob to the genre.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm 

I've seen the name a couple of times, but "heard about" simply is too strong a word for that, for me it was one of the generic band names that existed in black metal that meant nothing.

Never heard about them being legends at anything either. I always just saw the name in some lists without comment.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:51 pm 

A big "thumbs up" for Hell's_Unicorn's Danzig - Danzig review. It was a very pleasant read, providing excellent musical background referencing.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
A big "thumbs up" for Hell's_Unicorn's Danzig - Danzig review. It was a very pleasant read, providing excellent musical background referencing.

Much obliged, I've been meaning to do some writing on Danzig's discography for over 10 years and could never really get myself going. I'm probably in the minority in thinking that the debut was slightly better than Lucifuge, but there was something about the songwriting on that debut that overcame the low-fi production. I plan to hit the rest of the albums from the original lineup in the coming weeks, and may perhaps hit Danzig's whole discography down the road, but that debut holds a special place in my collection, it was one of my earliest CD purchases back in '93.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:35 pm 

Yeah, the Danzig review was good. Detailed and articulate. Haven't heard that thing in a decade probably. I should try it again for the Halloween season along with the Paul Chain stuff I've been playing.

I always liked that one and the third album a lot. Never so much the second one though, though it wasn't bad.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, the Danzig review was good. Detailed and articulate. Haven't heard that thing in a decade probably. I should try it again for the Halloween season along with the Paul Chain stuff I've been playing.

I always liked that one and the third album a lot. Never so much the second one though, though it wasn't bad.

Thanks, I did try to write something that stood out despite largely agreeing with the bulk of the existing reviews for the album.

Lucifuge (aka Danzig II) went heavier on the blues rock influences and scaled back the doom and heavy metal elements. Though it has slightly higher ratings here than the debut (likely because it has a heavier production and the drum work is a tad more adventurous and Bill Ward-like), a lot of people I've discussed Danzig's early works with hold a similar sentiment. There aren't as many outright bangers on II as there are on I and III, but it's an overall solid listen if you like a bit more of a psychedelic vibe.

My reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:22 pm 

I'd probably appreciate the rock-ish elements of II more now, though I mostly just remember not thinking the songs were as strong, as opposed to any stylistic quibble. The first album was rocking as hell and had such a great old rootsy sound to it.

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:07 am 

droneriot wrote:
Didn't read it, I read the other one. And as soon as it went to "the production" as the only thing to talk about I tuned out again since that's 99% of the M-A reviews of the last five years. I wonder how far we are from people campaigning to replace the musicians from the band line-ups with the producers.

To be fair, it's kinda all you can talk about with Heretic - at least, if you're trying to put a positive spin on a fairly crappy album that doesn't have much else really going for it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:32 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
CannibalCorpse wrote:

Much obliged, I've been meaning to do some writing on Danzig's discography for over 10 years and could never really get myself going. I'm probably in the minority in thinking that the debut was slightly better than Lucifuge, but there was something about the songwriting on that debut that overcame the low-fi production. I plan to hit the rest of the albums from the original lineup in the coming weeks, and may perhaps hit Danzig's whole discography down the road, but that debut holds a special place in my collection, it was one of my earliest CD purchases back in '93.

Ah, yes, Rick Rubin's famous "lo-fi" productions? :scratch: And calling the album "doom metal". :scratch: I did think it was interesting that you compared John Christ to Vivian Campbell, though, I can hear that: shred with some rock chops thrown in, too.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188 - Eerie Evaluation Episode 1: Discussing Cold Lake/Vanity/Nemesis era Celtic Frost...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:57 am 

That Danzig review was quite nice to see. I'd describe Rick Rubin's production style as more raw or dry rather than lo-fi personally. I have a soft spot for the debut since it was the first album of his I heard but the three after it are my sweet spot. Spirit Division basically started out as an attempt to get in on that Lucifuge/How The Gods Kill vibe.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:05 am 

Seems like, after Promise, Briman72 found out about Lulu as well. What's next? I'd suggest The Least Successful Human Cannonball, it's been a while since the last review.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Seems like, after Promise, Briman72 found out about Lulu as well. What's next? I'd suggest The Least Successful Human Cannonball, it's been a while since the last review.

Your suggestion isn't predictable enough. It'll be The Unspoken King.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:23 am 

Not sure if Craig Pillard is exactly the best sort of person to be name dropping these days in a review either...

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:53 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Your suggestion isn't predictable enough. It'll be The Unspoken King.

How could I forget!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Not sure if Craig Pillard is exactly the best sort of person to be name dropping these days in a review either...

Had to search it, but it cracked me up.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:32 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Ah, yes, Rick Rubin's famous "lo-fi" productions? :scratch: And calling the album "doom metal". :scratch: I did think it was interesting that you compared John Christ to Vivian Campbell, though, I can hear that: shred with some rock chops thrown in, too.

Moral of the story, if you've got balls, Acrobat will bust them. :lol:

I guess there is some degree of subjectivity regarding how much doom constitutes a doom metal album, but when I hear what sounds like a direct tribute to "Children Of The Grave" and a number of other riffs that are directly influenced by Sabbath's first 4 albums, I start making inferences. Sue me. :-P

Anyway, given the overall response here I think I will make a concerted effort to push more of Danzig's work to the front of my priority list, I'm digging the conversation it's inspiring.

My reviews.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:

Yeah, I do also prefer Lucifuge, it's not as consistent in and quality as How the Gods Kill but these two are my favourites. I've written reviews for HtGK and 4p but still need to work on that Lucifuge one. Should be interesting to read your stance towards these records.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:24 pm 

A bit late for this, but the first S&M 2 review came out.

I can agree with the user because while some of the remixes sound okay, the rest sound off and probably shouldn't have been remade in a symphony format.

Check out my reviews

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434  Next