Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:42 am 

Interesting, resonating review for Ombres Tombent, BastardHead...yeah, I remember how this band, alongside Avenged Sevenfold, and, grrr, even Limp Bizkit, were all (the) rage, back in the (aught) day.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:09 pm 

Bastardhead really nailed it with the bit about Brian Fair's vocals. I loved that album back in high school when I was making the leap between metalcore and death metal and the nostalgia of the end of that year keeps the album in a good spot for me because it was heavy enough to keep me wanting to see how much farther metal could go while also appeasing the Slipknot, Mudvayne, Disturbed portion of my mind at the time and made it a good album to put on rotation with friends. Not going to lie, I tore the house down about a month ago with this album during a drunken rage so it still hits but I can understand the complaints about how streamlined this album is. It wasn't as good as 'Of One Blood' for me, not even as dark as Scars of Tomorrow's 'Rope Tied to the Trigger' for my mind at the time.

Maybe, Mr. Head

Spoiler: show

you would like to check that earlier album out. 'Of One Blood' is rougher around the edges, takes a couple more risks than this one does, but it's a solid album that doesn't have me envisioning the back of a stormtrooper's body as I spray lazers all over Bespin Platforms or Rhen Var Harbor after school for the thousandth time or, even more nostalgic, thumping Helgast with the ISA grenade launcher.

I can send you a download if you like, and please disregard my Spicoli writing from 2009 if you look at the reviews. May get around to a reassessment someday, but I still see castles crumbing in Stronghold Crusader when I think about that album.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:18 pm 

Hey look, another contrarian Metallica review that says that one of their non-Kill Em All albums from the 80s is not actually anywhere near as good as people have said it is for the last almost 40 years. That's a totally original thing to do in late-2020. It even has a line implying that Mustaine being gone is what made them change for the worse, which is also a very original thought.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:55 am 

I admire how one can talk about RtL and forget to mention Creeping Death. Seriously, it has to take serious skills. Alas, I'm gonna cry in the corner for what he said about my pet Fade to Black. :violin:

On the upside, yay!, finally another review for Metal Enterprises, I always love every opinion (from disgusted 0%s to amused positive ratings like this one) on arguably the most confusing and hilarious label ever. nightbreaker33 really nailed it with:
Quote:
Ingo Nowotny is without a doubt, the earliest of trolls in the metal scene

I haven't even listened to this particular album but he made me want to :lol:

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:45 pm 

So, I've decided to do a little experiment with reviewing. I really hope what I sent gets through, but I do not blame the mods if it doesn't. But I am eager for results.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:27 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
So, I've decided to do a little experiment with reviewing. I really hope what I sent gets through, but I do not blame the mods if it doesn't. But I am eager for results.

Are you're going all UltraBoris on us?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:03 am 

Subrick wrote:
Hey look, another contrarian Metallica review that says that one of their non-Kill Em All albums from the 80s is not actually anywhere near as good as people have said it is for the last almost 40 years. That's a totally original thing to do in late-2020. It even has a line implying that Mustaine being gone is what made them change for the worse, which is also a very original thought.

Wait, are you saying that, adding to the 29 positive reviews of Ride the Lightning, the second (mildly) negative one (of which, admittedly, the first is mine) is really just the same old thing? The review is not that great, but I wouldn't exactly be labelling it as "another contrarian Metallica review" when it vastly bucks the trend for that album.

Unrelatedly, I'm pleased to see the universe spinning in the right direction as I unwittingly arrived at 1,234 reviews with the 10 most recent all being for bands with one-word names. Satisfyingly pleasant.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:24 am 

colin040 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Are you're going all UltraBoris on us?

Kiiiiiiinda. But it's positive, and I think it's my first "big classic album review" that actually counts.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 am 

In k-garden, kids who couldn't yet pronounce my name simply yawped: Ewig! (without the "keit")...

Um, Felix, is that album cover necessary?

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:24 pm 

Have to agree with BastardHead on that KSE review (and the Shadows Fall review too). It's kinda funny, I'm a huge metalcore fan, but I think a lot of the early albums in the genre weren't that good, honestly. In The End of Heartache just really feels like watered down thrashy melodeath with not very good production (As I Lay Dying's early albums are much the same way). The genre got far better in my opinion when it stopped trying to just be kinda watered down metal and just splintered into wanky djent technical progcore on one branch and insufferably mopey whiny emo post-hardcore with more screams and breakdowns. The melodeath-y mxc really was just too watered down and unsure of itself (if you're going to have whiny emo choruses then go full insufferable high-pitched pansy bitch god dammit). A lot of those albums had like one good song and then were just bleh. I did not get into -core--or ANY non-pop music actually--until 2016, so I have zero nostalgia for this kind of music. Maybe that's why. All that stuff passed me by when it was actually popular. Granted, I was, like, 9 years old when In The End of Heartache and its contemporaries released so I couldn't really have gotten into anyway lol

Something like this from a 2020 album does the whole melodeath-y style MUCH better IMO. Way more energy due to the modern production and the music isn't slavishly trying to be In Flames/At The Gates but simpler and with choruses that can't decide if they wanna be whiny emo bullshit or more metal. It takes the melodeath riffs and then does them in a very distinctly mxc way. Funnily enough this is the ONLY song on that album that goes for this style, and the only one with a guitar solo IIRC (the common presence of guitar solos on that old-school mxc was the best thing about it and I do miss the solo's marginalization in the genre's modern incarnation)

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:33 pm 

[edited because the user in question is actually very young and I'm not actually all that down with making fun of a kid as of today]

Last edited by Xlxlx on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 pm 

This man is called deathmetal69 and 80% of his reviews are glowing ones of slam albums. I feel like anything I'd say after this would just be bullying.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:29 pm 

Vadara wrote:
This man is called deathmetal69 and 80% of his reviews are glowing ones of slam albums. I feel like anything I'd say after this would just be bullying.

Ooooh I just realized that's the same guy who popped up a positive Renewal review days after I gave it a negative score.

I listened to "Impulse to Disembowel", the first song on Six Feet Under's True Carnage (which dm69 calls "a nice opener track") and within 10 seconds Barnes is EEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEE. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:45 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I listened to "Impulse to Disembowel", the first song on Six Feet Under's True Carnage (which dm69 calls "a nice opener track") and within 10 seconds Barnes is EEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEE. :lol:

That was soo unexpected. Especially coming from "some of Chris Barnes' best vocal work".

Vadara wrote:

From someone who isn't into metalcore, that was actually not bad at all.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:49 pm 

Also I couldn't help but mention how Five_Nails has submitted three reviews of different bands with the same name at the same time. Talk about completism :lol:

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:50 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Also I couldn't help but mention how Five_Nails has submitted three reviews of different bands with the same name at the same time. Talk about completism :lol:

lol Thanks SoddyAflamia. When I noticed the progressive metalcore band had a couple of brethren in brands it sent me on a tangent to explore all of them.:idea: Got to love free downloads.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am 

Change of topic, here, but has anybody gleaned Iron Jaw's
Debut, Chain of Command? They're from Fort Worth and, yeah, are duly worthy...(Consider such a respectful review request.)

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:54 pm 

Vadara wrote:

He's dropped glowing reviews in response to my writing twice, I'm pretty sure. Once for Infant Annihilator, once for Torsofuck (both times he gave scores of 100).

Also, he's the only person on this site to ever write a positive review for Chainsaw Penis, I think.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:18 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Change of topic, here, but has anybody gleaned Iron Jaw's
Debut, Chain of Command? They're from Fort Worth and, yeah, are duly worthy...(Consider such a respectful review request.)

The presence of Rick Perry is making me curious. May give it a shot :headbang:

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Also, he's the only person on this site to ever write a positive review for Chainsaw Penis, I think.

That alone speaks for itself I guess...

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:27 pm 

There's a band called Chainsaw Penis?

I mean, I'm not surprised but come on.

EDIT: Also, despite saying that I don't wanna pick on the kid too much, said Chainsaw Penis review has an issue: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 69_/481697

He literally attempts to insult and discredit other reviewers because he disagrees with them, and I'm pretty sure that's not rule-friendly.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:33 pm 

The obvious flaw in that review is that his main defense is "it's supposed to suck." Whether or not music is intended to be good, it should be evaluated on its actual quality/significance/innovation instead of just if the writers achieved their goal or not.

When I mentioned a couple weeks back that a user had contacted me on Instagram after I published my Molesting the Decapitated review, that was deathmetal69_. What he said to me then kinda echoes the sentiments of the Chainsaw Penis review of his: That the main goal was to sound like that and "there is a lot of worse slam out there," which still doesn't seem relevant considering I'm not a slam fan and I still didn't find the album in question to be enjoyable in any way.

We had a brief conversation and he seems like a nice enough guy. What I think might be holding him back as a reviewer worth taking seriously is something a lot of people our age struggle to grasp: That how much you like something and the actual quality of that thing, in any medium, can be completely independent. You can acknowledge that certain music is good or well-written without liking it, and you can like music while recognizing that it's absolute garbage; I can name numerous albums that, for me, fit into both those categories. When I'm writing reviews I try to keep that in mind; if I do a positive write-up of an album I really like but I recognize isn't actually very high-quality, I try to mention that in the review (a good example would be my recent take on In Paradisum).

Last.fm
Listen to my band's new single!
Listen to my other band's newest EP!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:59 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
There's a band called Chainsaw Penis?

Indeed. They are so terrible that they can't even play Happy Birthday correctly. Not kidding.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:31 pm 

I just realized, this deathmetal69 guy is veteran status. He's only 17, and I'm only now hearing of him. What the hell?

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm 

I'm only 17, but he's been a bit more specific in which styles he reviews, I guess.

Last.fm
Listen to my band's new single!
Listen to my other band's newest EP!

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:47 am 

Quote:
. On the upside, yay!, finally another review for Metal Enterprises, I always love every opinion (from disgusted 0%s to amused positive ratings like this one) on arguably the most confusing and hilarious label ever. nightbreaker33 really nailed it

Hey thanks for reading my review and for the good comment man! I have uploaded the entire desert storm album on YouTube. The only problem is that there is a problem with the volume and some of the songs sound very quiet.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:30 am 

Would the new Incantation reviews be considered oven fodder since they're heavily based around the concept that Upon the Throne is a separate and recording from Mortal Throne, when in actuality they're the same thing with a changed mix? Like, it's only a small factual error but it's pretty clearly the core conceit of the pair.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:58 pm 

Okay, firstly, what exactly entails (Dutch) oven fodder?

Second, sweet Wolvie review, sweety...Medicine Man is such a languorously rocking track; same goes for more upbeat Highway Rider...Considering you turned me on to Saint, allow me to return favor. Y'ever glean any Malice, of Portland, Organ?

Worthy of in(tro)spection are In The Beginning & License to (K)ill LPs, from daze of fore (nothing to do with golf).

Great J Priestly musicianship with chillax(e) Rob Half-life styled waxman...Dig it, however ruefully!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:47 pm 

Lane-bop! HA! Just love this line, of yours, from latest review, as I've nary a frigging clue what it means, and/or relates to(wards)?

..."However, with this we do not get jump-da-fuk-up metal, at least not very much of it."...(Sounds even zanier, out of context)

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:51 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Sloth/HNW_%3D_Head_Nurse_Wall/676854/TheEndIsNigh/243883

Quote:
Sloth. The ultimate Metal Archives troll. A release a day keeps the critics at bay. A discography that reaches so far back that people will often forget that this was, at some point, a noisy sludge rock combo that did splits with the likes of Noothgrush, Floor, Corrupted and Nunslaughter. They have one song I like, 'Your Band Plays Benefit Shows,' and are most infamous these days for being a harsh noise machine. They've also the balls to charge a dollar per single.

What do you want me to say about HNW = Head Nurse Wall? It's harsh noise. It's sustained static. I can listen to Merzbow because he tries to innovate, or at least has unique themes going on in the background. He approaches it as art; abrasive and sometimes unbearable art, but art nonetheless. Dom, Sloth's "mastermind," is a meme-lord. Everything is a joke, everything is noise, everything is bullshit.

Now that right there is pretty much Sloth's tactic in a nutshell. Posting a forgettable, pointless noise track every day just to see how long we're gonna add his stupid singles.

Check out my reviews

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:11 am 

Man I know it was singled out already but:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 69_/481697

Quote:
The SFU hate has gotten extremely old and annoying, most people take a peek at Barnes' aged vocals and proceed to deem SFU as a whole "bad" or say some dumb crap like "They're gay and they fucking suck", any stupid garbage like that.

There's only one person throwing around the childish insults here and it's not us. Great start to a review, needless to say I didn't even read the rest.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am 

That dude's literally a kid, which certainly explains his aching need to lash out at people who attack things he likes.

He's gonna have an aneurysm once the new SFU reviews start dropping.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:29 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Wait, are you saying that, adding to the 29 positive reviews of Ride the Lightning, the second (mildly) negative one (of which, admittedly, the first is mine) is really just the same old thing? The review is not that great, but I wouldn't exactly be labelling it as "another contrarian Metallica review" when it vastly bucks the trend for that album.

I only just noticed this now. When I say "contrarian Metallica review", I don't mean it specifically towards Ride the Lightning. If we're talking strictly reviews on this site, Master of Puppets is the one that gets it the most, but it's also a sentiment some people still have/had in regards to post-Kill Em All , pre-Black Album Metallica. That specific RtL reviw was not as extreme as something like Boris giving Master a 0%, but it's still part of that mindset regardless.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:47 am 

Points for going for the one Metallica album that's almost universally agreed to be near perfect.

That review also showcases just how clueless a lot of reviewers seem to be when it comes to looking at things in a historical context. He says that Metallica making longer songs was their attempt at making progressive metal or whatever, when 1) prog metal as we understand it now wasn't even a thing in 1984, 2) a band trying new things isn't a deliberate attempt at creating a new genre, that's not the way it works and 3) the debut already had three songs around the seven minute mark are you kidding me.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:26 pm 

Good SFU one by Subrick.

Quote:
I am fully of the belief that Nightmares of the Decomposed is destined to become a legendary laughingstock of metal albums, a company comprised of such records as St. Anger, Lulu, The Unspoken King, and Illud Divinum Insanus.

But I do not think that SFU will have such a lasting impact than the bands responsible for those other masterpieces.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:35 pm 

That's the point of contention I make in the review. The albums I cited as laughingstocks are laughingstocks both for how bad they are and because the bands that made them were mostly well loved and then decided to fuck up in spectacular fashion. Six Feet Under don't have the luxury of a good track record to fall back on like the others, so Nightmares of the Decomposed will be seen more as the endgame of a career made up of bad album after bad album instead of a massive miscalculation.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 pm 

I came up with a review of Therion's 'Theli'. It has some weird, unintentional symbols is it. For example ' & " are f*cked up, and some spaces include _.

Is somebody in staff fixing them, perhaps?

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... clarm/8592

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:35 pm 

Upside down !s and +/- symbols, but super imposed...

(Maybe the title of his review has something to do with it, as in, subliminal clue to weirdness)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:37 am 

Lane wrote:
I came up with a review of Therion's 'Theli'. It has some weird, unintentional symbols is it. For example ' & " are f*cked up, and some spaces include _.

Is somebody in staff fixing them, perhaps?

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... clarm/8592

Done. I fixed at least two score other grammar and spelling mistakes, too... it was weird, and still might warrant removal.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:39 pm 

5 reviews on the new Six Feet Under and the average is 8%. I really hope that someone from Metal Blade looks at MA every now and then.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:50 pm 

Honestly, a part of me is hoping we don't get many more of those. I don't give a shit about SFU but seeing people gang up on an easy target like that rubs me the wrong way. Just seems like an excuse to crap out half-baked jokes about Barnes' vocals en masse and that shit gets tiring quickly.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438  Next