Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:03 pm 

That was a damn solid review of Dipygus by we hope you die. Perfectly described and I loved the Sadistic Drive comparison.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:43 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Just discovered this review from BastardHead. These parts actually cracked me up :lol:

Quote:
AS A COASTER: This seems to be the one thing that this CD is good for. It is wide enough to cover most any size can/bottle of beverage and thick enough to keep the moisture from soaking through. The only downside is that it's rather pricey for it's apparent intended usage. Also, the material and smooth texture allow it to slide around a little bit more than is comfortable, but it keeps the Schitz sweat off of my coffee table, so I endorse Varg's unintended line of coasters.

AS A FRISBEE: This is probably the most fun you can have with the disc, but it's also the most dangerous. If you are playing with a partner that throws it too hard, there is a possibility you could cut your hand or get the CD embedded in your skull. And after the headache and metaphorical embedding it'll give you from listening to it, this is the last thing you want to happen. If you try to avoid this problem by playing fetch with your dog, this is only good for one throw, as your dog's bite will most likely break it.

Holy fuck :lol: :lol: :lol: you know, usually I get annoyed at these side-tangents in reviews and just want the person to talk about the music instead of ranting about the scene or whatever the fuck, but holy shit that's gold :lol:

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 pm 

BH's the only one who can review a Rattlehead album like it was a Megadeth one, or copy his own review for Brain Drill's debut and reutilize it for the sophomore, and make it work.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:24 pm 

Oi, lads!

I figured, since I'm actively out of commission for another five (5; i.e. "pentamerous") weeks due to freakazoid slipping accident (on mud-caked sidewalk, ho-hum!) resulting in busted wing/broken wrist (the left, or "stranger" one!), am now commencing Official Metal Archives XCOM: The Enemy Within round, where all my soldiers will be named after my fond legion of scribes here...in memory, also, of my good friend Dave, who drank himself to death around his 40th birthday (Rest In Peace, fellow XCOM Commander!).

I'll keep you all posted with battle results, as well as individual heroics (and, inevitably, downfalls, as I'm playing on Classic mode...)

Chairs, freres!

ps just about to jolt down the "participant" list, here, on the Most Written Reviews Stats page...

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:32 pm 

Sucks friend, take care!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:35 am 

CHAIR sir, you are a gentleman and a legend! Hope that wing doesn't get fried too.

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:26 am 

I don't know you, CHAIR, but your style is inimitable. Hoping for a quick recovery.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:26 pm 

Shucks! Thank you, all, for kind werdz of speedy (not needy) recovery!

Mind, I can still type with one hand (I wrote my Screamer review the night it happened, when I got back from the hopital, and even went nuts, pumping out a load of nostalgic spiel regarding Pantera's Cowboys from Hell, before crumbling out of shock and befuddlement) but, seeing as I'd planned an extended break* anyhow, am taking advantage of such unforeseeable circumstance.

*Pun optional!

Love the handle, btw, Oh-Wan One!

ps Who'd have thought XCOM on classic mode would be so unforgiving and brutal?! It'll take several tries on Ironman i.e. no gamesaving option, to get it right!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ymph/13990

Great review of the new Persuader from Agonymph - I always find his reviews well done and descriptive. He nails the aggression and proficiency of this release. I might still do one anyway though.

NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:38 am 

Eyyy, I just saw there's a new(ish) review for Manes - Vilosophe, and I wanna say... I got into this band because of a 0% review for How the World Came to an End, and I'm sad that it got deleted. Does anyone have access to the original text still?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 pm 

NoSoup4you22 wrote:
Eyyy, I just saw there's a new(ish) review for Manes - Vilosophe, and I wanna say... I got into this band because of a 0% review for How the World Came to an End, and I'm sad that it got deleted. Does anyone have access to the original text still?

I'm looking back at the pages in the Wayback Machine, but so far I can't find it. Do you know when that review came up, since that might help?

Check out my reviews

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:00 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... Head/44563

Love the reference to Todd in the Shadow's "Trainwreckords" in the title. Didn't knew you were into that show, BH :wink:

Check out my reviews

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 am 

BH used to be a big NC-CA fan so that wasn't too surprising that he'd pull a reference out. Reading that got me in the mood to try reviewing again (once a month).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 am 

There's an extra paragraph in the version of that review on my blog that goes into some background detail explaining how I wanted to do a more metal themed ripoff of Trainwreckords for about a year now but it never really worked because metal careers work differently than those of pop artists, and basically every single reputation-ruining bomb I could think of wound up being something a band more or less bounced back from eventually. Basically the only album I could think of that both turned off fans and preceded the end of their career was that one, so that's the gooey remains of my aborted idea, lol.

And yeah, I used to be a huge fan of the whole Channel Awesome crowd as a teenager and I think it shows in my early writing. Part of growing up is realizing that most of those guys suck and Todd is one of the paltry few exceptions lol.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:38 pm 

What CA reviewers would you say survived that whole era for you? I remember you saying that you thought Cinema Snob lost the plot ages ago, and we all know Nostalgia Critic is pretty much unwatchable nowadays thanks to the endless skits. The few bits of Lindsay Ellis I've watched after she abandoned being the Nostalgia Chick were actually pretty good and informative.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:46 pm 

Like I said, Todd is the one who nailed the double whammy of remaining good while not changing his format. Lindsay is very good nowadays but she makes very different content, and I guess Sage's anime reviews never really changed and tend to be less unbearable than most of his contemporaries but I have zero interest in watching them nowadays. The thing about Doug is that he was actually always terrible but I liked that terrible style when I was a teenager, and that applies to basically all of the old internet reviewers who just yelled a lot, made wildly hyperbolic statements all the time for yuks, and generally just acted like cartoon characters. I haven't even checked in on most of the old guys I used to watch because my interest/taste just diverged wildly over the years. Maybe some of them are still good? I dunno, Todd is basically the only one I never stopped following because he pretty much owned his little sphere and never lost his mojo.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:05 pm 

Yeah, I'll admit that NC isn't as good as he was ten years ago. Plus, the whole "Not So Awesome" controversy put a permanent stain on the entire company's image. Doug's older reviews are still good though, but Todd in the Shadows is the best person in Channel Awesome imho.

Check out my reviews

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:16 pm 

Lindsay’s content is the most palatable to my taste these days, it’s remarkable how early she was going for the video essay format when all other reviewers were going for comedic hyperbole. Todd has held up pretty well though. Linkara’s content also seems to have stayed consistent but it doesn’t appeal to me as much as it used to.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:48 pm 

I remember watching a review by Linkara on who knows what comic, and I remember constantly mishearing him say "continuity" as "cock nudity" somehow. Just ESL things? What would Sigmund Freud say about this?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:12 am 

Of all the guys that were ever affiliated with Channel Awesome, my favourites in the current day are Todd, Angry Joe and Ashens. I know Guru Larry's work, who does cool stuff too I think. I wasn't around for the network's heyday either, so I can't comment too much on how they progressed over the years.

I only know of Spoony's entire tragic arc in retrospect through the Down the Rabbit Hole on his downfall, never watched his stuff really. Doug Walker these days just seems really unfunny and annoying, that review of The Wall says it all I think. I don't really know the work of any other creators who were ever on the site.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:51 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... is/1043649

"BRUH!"

A dumb title for a review of a dumb band. Doesn't get much better than that!

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:39 am 

I love how he never makes a secret of the fact that he listened for the first time to various albums the exact day before reviewing them...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:04 am 

I can't speak for that album, but I actually quite like The Dark Prison Massacre's second album. I can see why people think it's a dumb band but there's enough enjoyment there for me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:04 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/The_Dark_Prison_Massacre/A_Blood_Clot_Ejaculation/526381/Anus_Canis/1043649

"BRUH!"

A dumb title for a review of a dumb band. Doesn't get much better than that!

I give AC some slack since he's clearly a kid just starting to explore metal and writing his thoughts down on each new album he hears, so it's kind of cool to watch somebody's journey in real time, but we're really reaching when we're giving him shoutouts for shit as meaningless as titling a review "Bruh."

Like TBOS said, it's really not a good look to go cranking out reviews on the same day you hear something for the first time, especially when it's for an extremely high or low score. I place less value in scoring than most of the regulars but if you're going to give something a minimum or maximum score after one listen then nine times out of ten you either don't really know a whole lot about the genre or your convictions are weak as hell.

And he's a decent enough writer, better than some of the noobs we get, but he has a ton of room to improve. Look at this bit:

That review wrote:
Although I don't tend to like drum programming since it is as lifeless as Atheist's Jupiter, it was actually convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that, thus completely defying my expectations. I honestly don't understand why brutal death metal bands tend to use drum programs instead of an actual drummer (perhaps because no person can play the complicated beats of a drum program), but in this album, it was convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that, so I definitely wouldn't complain. It sounds as animalistic as the guitars and the vocals, just as I would expect from BDM drums (person or program). Overall, although I'm not a fan of drum programs, the programming on this album was convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that.

This paragraph is absolute garbage. Beyond simply trying to shoehorn in a reference to an album he reviewed a few days ago accidentally creating a really bizarre implication that Atheist's drums couldn't be played by a human (that's not what he means but the sentence is so sloppy that he winds up implying it), he uses the phrase "it was actually convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that" three times in four sentences. Holy shit that shouldn't pass even a lazy proofread. Instead of building on his point or giving examples in either direction or something, he just says the same thing several times in a row with remarkably similar wording and at the end of the day I know nothing about the drum performance except it was actually convincing enough for him to believe that an actual person did it.

I didn't quote the first bit of that paragraph but he starts it with one of my personal pet peeves: offhandedly mentioning that you can't hear the bass (which he also does in the conclusion, because he's terrible about repeating himself). This is a telltale sign of somebody just starting out who feels like they have to comment on every single instrument even if there's nothing to say or (more likely) they just don't really understand what each instrument is doing. I think it was Napero who said something along the lines of "If a reviewer mentions not being able to hear the bass, 99% of the time they just don't know what a bass sounds like", and that's something I've found to be true. Bass follows the guitar most of the time in metal but trust me, you can hear it almost all the time. It can easily get lost in the mix but it has a completely different timbre than that of a guitar and all you have to do is just... pay attention? Why so many people miss this is beyond me, even more mystifying are cases like this where the bass is likely just following the guitar so people default to the bass being inaudible when really it's just... ya know, playing root notes. Pro tip: if the bass isn't doing anything interesting, just don't bring it up! You absolutely do not have to out yourself as somebody who doesn't know what to listen for by saying it's inaudible.

tl;dr - AC is a noob and that's totally okay and I encourage him to keep growing, but he has a lot of room to improve and when I say he's gonna look back in a few years and cringe at his early stuff, this kind of stuff is exactly what I'm talking about.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm 

Literally almost everything you mentioned here is shit that I did starting off, and I certainly cringed hard at old reviews. I doubt you remember, but you were also one of the only ones that defended me back in 2015. Bottom line is that BH is a real G.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:40 pm 

Sweetie wrote:
Bottom line is that BH is a real G.

Truth has been spoken.

BastardHead wrote:
I think it was Napero who said something along the lines of "If a reviewer mentions not being able to hear the bass, 99% of the time they just don't know what a bass sounds like"

Besides clear and notorious exceptions like AJFA, that's unironically the best explanation of the phenomenon.

(And I say this while pleading guilty of having most likely committed the same mistake in the not-so-distant past.)

Although I agree, also for me the most frustrating aspect was that A_C indeed isn't a bad writer by any means, but he usually ruins his works with mostly immature(*) decisions like the ones you mentioned. The forced album mentions are usually what breaks his reviews the most for me, it always feel unnatural to see Atheist mentioned in a Damageplan review, or Agoraphobic Nosebleed in a glam-era Pantera one...

(*) by definition of immature, I'm pretty confident he will get rid of them sooner or later, so I hope we won't go overboard criticizing him - myself obviously included.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:29 pm 

I've noticed that the "repeating himself nearly verbatim several times in the same paragraph" phenomenon is a staple of nearly all his reviews. It's a poor tactic, and only gets worse when used to defend a talking point that wouldn't really make any sense in the first place if he understood metal as well as most seasoned reviewers do.

His propensity for giving ridiculously high scores to almost everything he covers, including universally reviled piles of festering feces, is probably my biggest gripe with him, personally. When I'm looking for new music to listen to, I'll often start at a band's release with the highest average score, and branch out from there if I like what I'm hearing. I don't read all the reviews on all of the releases to see which one actually seems like I would like it the most; in fact, I read very few full reviews compared to the majority of people in this thread. But when someone is going around giving 100% scores to St. Anger, that raises its score for no good reason, and also makes it impossible to take him seriously when he gives the same score to albums that actually deserve it (such as the first two Atheist records).

I remember when I started reviewing on here. I was 14 years old and, although I had considered myself a metalhead for more than three years at that point, I was still very new to the genre and had never looked past most of the entry-level acts. I don't think I've ever deleted more than a couple reviews (and those that I have were so that I could rewrite them), so most of my cluelessness of three years past is still up for all to see. I was a much less good writer than I am now, but I think the number scores themselves I was handing out at the time I'd pretty much still agree with (with the possible exception of Dystopia). Anus_Canis appears to be much newer to the genre than I was when I began writing, but I am impressed that he's tackled (and enjoyed) bands like Death and Demilich even if he doesn't truly understand the context of what he's listening to or why almost everything he's reviewed, including Jupiter, is still objectively better than anything Metallica has released since the '80s.

Last.fm
Listen to my band Begravement's debut EP!

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:47 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
That review wrote:
Although I don't tend to like drum programming since it is as lifeless as Atheist's Jupiter, it was actually convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that, thus completely defying my expectations. I honestly don't understand why brutal death metal bands tend to use drum programs instead of an actual drummer (perhaps because no person can play the complicated beats of a drum program), but in this album, it was convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that, so I definitely wouldn't complain. It sounds as animalistic as the guitars and the vocals, just as I would expect from BDM drums (person or program). Overall, although I'm not a fan of drum programs, the programming on this album was convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that.

This paragraph is absolute garbage. Beyond simply trying to shoehorn in a reference to an album he reviewed a few days ago accidentally creating a really bizarre implication that Atheist's drums couldn't be played by a human (that's not what he means but the sentence is so sloppy that he winds up implying it), he uses the phrase "it was actually convincing enough for me to believe that an actual person did that" three times in four sentences. Holy shit that shouldn't pass even a lazy proofread. Instead of building on his point or giving examples in either direction or something, he just says the same thing several times in a row with remarkably similar wording and at the end of the day I know nothing about the drum performance except it was actually convincing enough for him to believe that an actual person did it.

If any other writer was going to go about padding out their review in such a manner, they'd at least vary the vocabulary (not that it would be any better), but he uses the exact same phrases and words multiple times over. It's complete carelessness on top of formulaic writing. Solidifying this, as I was writing this I stumbled upon his next Dark Prison Massacre review and the repetitions are just as obvious. He manages to say that the vocalist "sounds like a fucking mountain lion in some segments" twice, and repeats basically the entire introduction in the conclusion with a few minor changes. I'm convinced that he's got to be just blatantly copying sections of his reviews and mashing them together.

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
His propensity for giving ridiculously high scores to almost everything he covers, including universally reviled piles of festering feces, is probably my biggest gripe with him, personally. When I'm looking for new music to listen to, I'll often start at a band's release with the highest average score, and branch out from there if I like what I'm hearing. I don't read all the reviews on all of the releases to see which one actually seems like I would like it the most; in fact, I read very few full reviews compared to the majority of people in this thread. But when someone is going around giving 100% scores to St. Anger, that raises its score for no good reason, and also makes it impossible to take him seriously when he gives the same score to albums that actually deserve it (such as the first two Atheist records).

If you give a 100%, in my book you had better have a damn good reason for handing that score out. But he never really has a proper reason, since for one his description of the music is sometimes lacking, and also he has extremely low standards (despite bizarrely claiming otherwise on his profile), so you can expect that 100 is just anything above 'great', while anything below 90 is decent to bad, and that's only 8 of his 48 reviews. So yeah, it's impossible to take him seriously and it devalues the few reviews where he does make a good case for giving a perfect score.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:25 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
[...]almost everything he's reviewed, including Jupiter, is still objectively better than anything Metallica has released since the '80s.

I've come to think that the rating 'array' is a somewhat dividing topic between reviewers. I can understand those who rate albums based upon the respective bands' discography and whatnot and then claim 'I rated X (by band 1) 95% and Y (by band 2) 88%, but I don't necessarily think X is superior to Y'. I imagine that adjusting your ratings every time you finish a new review means time that not everybody may want to waste, and it grows more and more boring the more you write. Yet I think that's the aim one should go for, at least to avoid pitfalls like that. I sometimes find myself comparing what my favourite writers think of different bands, and that's crucial.

Granted, this is a pretty extreme case where it's not that easy to compare between ratings all above 95%. I'm well aware that, if the albums I review have already other writings, my scores usually end up being among the highest ones, yet I'm always reluctant to give out a 100% so lightly. I find it way more meaningful when you keep it for some truly special albums (taking advantage of this sentence for a shout-out to Sweetie's The Crimson Idol latest one :metal:).

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:51 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
If you give a 100%, in my book you had better have a damn good reason for handing that score out. But he never really has a proper reason, since for one his description of the music is sometimes lacking, and also he has extremely low standards (despite bizarrely claiming otherwise on his profile), so you can expect that 100 is just anything above 'great', while anything below 90 is decent to bad, and that's only 8 of his 48 reviews. So yeah, it's impossible to take him seriously and it devalues the few reviews where he does make a good case for giving a perfect score.

As someone who has given more 100% scores than any other number, I sometimes try to figure out what causes me to have such a positive reaction to some albums. From what I can tell, all of the releases I've given 100% to are ones that blew my mind the first time I ever heard it and then continued to blow my mind with every subsequent listen over the course of many months. I'd never give such a score to an album the day I discovered it. For me, and I imagine most people, if an album is really that amazing it takes time to reflect on why it's so damn good and how to best put that into words. AC seems to think that his own enjoyment of an album and it being impeccable are the same thing.

Last.fm

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:56 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
I've come to think that the rating 'array' is a somewhat dividing topic between reviewers. I can understand those who rate albums based upon the respective bands' discography and whatnot and then claim 'I rated X (by band 1) 95% and Y (by band 2) 88%, but I don't necessarily think X is superior to Y'.

THIS. I actually make that note in my bio on here about review scores.

That said, I just counted. Of my 500+ reviews on the site, 9 of them are 100% (one of which I just submitted late last night :p )

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:03 am 

Haven't come here for nearly two weeks, and it seems like Anus_Canis has really become the talk of the day. Can't remember another newcomer raising that much attention from the start - possibly autothrall when he flooded the site with his 100 reviews a day, dunno.

Yes, this guy has a tendency to self-plagiarism, and, as a former academic researcher, that's something I especially loathe. Most of us here must know about dozens of albums for which we could just copy and paste the same review over and over, only changing the band name and songtitles. Lame way to achieve hundreds of reviews in a blink.

There was point-whoring and post-whoring; now, that's review-whoring.

EDIT - I had written "achieve 500+ reviews", and just saw Sweetie's post above. He could have thought it was directed at him :lol:

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:29 pm 

More AC talk incoming. Leprosy may be the 50th album he's reviewed, but it's only the fourth review he's written :lol:

Last.fm

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:24 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
More AC talk incoming. Leprosy may be the 50th album he's reviewed, but it's only the fourth review he's written :lol:

You'd think he'd do a consistent review series on Death in a good date. In fact, he's done it before in his Metallica and Pantera reviews, so I'm not sure what was with the huge gap between Death albums.

Check out my reviews

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:10 pm 

While I'm not quite up to page, here - halfway through arm recovery but musing about slight comeback, later today - am glad to announce Finland's heart-attacking Coronary has finally unleashed its full-length debut!!!

Good, ribald times...

p.s. Only my sniper Nausika Dalaz Blindaz and field medic stainedclass2112 survived the final Temple ship battle in my Grand XCOM:The Enemy Unknown MA Battallion...oh! Slater922 also prevailed as my Gollom Chamber psi-operative, so congratulations!
(Honorable mentions go out to heavy squaddies Mad Submarine and Empyreal (87 & 22 kills, respectively), as well as fellow, albeit succumbed i.e. KIA field medic Spider X and everyone else in the mix (most of you participated in at least one mission, whle most attained one kill each, minimum - even my snapshot sniper Bastard Head had a nice run, there, at one point, before being blown up, however valiantly, by a Sectopod.)

Alas, myself, as main assault laddie CHAIRTHROWER, croaked as a sacrifice to an Ethereal Elite, in bloody, down-to-the-wire kombat!

Hail, soldiers! (Well done!)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:48 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
even my snapshot sniper Bastard Head had a nice run, there, at one point, before being blown up, however valiantly, by a Sectopod.

Fun fact: In real life, I am both left handed and my left eye is very bad (poor vision plus an optic nerve that was severed to help alleviate Duane's Syndrome, so basically my left eye is both perpetually blurry and has very limited mobility). Therefore, I can neither play golf nor, more pertinently, shoot guns, because I can't aim with my eye on my dominant side and spent casings eject directly into my face. Basically you couldn't have possibly chosen a worse assignment for me than sniper :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:45 pm 

...in other words, simply adds to the amusement of it all!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am 

To offset the zoomers' weird obsession with AC, I want to take this opportunity to say I'm so happy that lord_ghengis graced us with one of his depressingly infrequent reviews. Dude hasn't missed a step.

lord_gengHis spell it right dammit wrote:
What makes Illuminations of Vile Engorgement so special is its specific lack of musicality. With most brutal death metal, no matter how brutal, there's still a structure to it. Riffs have little climaxes to them and reset or switch to another one, drums have a fill or accent beat to keep the measures and bars still recognisable, but this just doesn't. There'll be an onslaught of an unerring blast, the guitars pick random nonsense with no resolutions to chains of them and the vocals gurgle out whatever stream of consciousness they feel like with layers and layers going on at once with no pauses or repeated patterns or obvious stanza completions; it's a pure fucking wall. And then the band will just sit on it for an excessive, unbroken period. I'm talking up to around 45 seconds straight with absolutely no resolution to any of the music going on. It. Just. Keeps. Going. It's a sustained wall of noisy nonsense.

I absolutely love this aspect of the band, it's not remotely pleasant as musical experience and there's absolutely nothing infectious or headbangable about it, it's more like a bizarre anti-art joke that keeps going on and on to the point of being comedic. After all these years it's still wonderfully one of a kind. While far from being something to listen to frequently it's an absolute blast to just sit in awe of from time to time.

I like this section a lot in particular because it makes me laugh despite not actually containing any jokes, and it perfectly encapsulates what makes Enmity so fucking strange and fascinating without skimping on actual musical description/analysis at all.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 pm 

Genghis is one of our underrated treasures. One of the only australian who can actually write too.

Hey CHAIR, where's the Penis Metal review I asked you to write!?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:07 pm 

I know it would be a difficult thing to achieve on this site, but I would like to make the following suggestion for the next review challenge:

an album (or more?) is picked by a mod, but the name of the band or the title of the release is not revealed to the participants.
It would be distributed to the writers and these would then have to write about it.
The writings would be collected and only be posted at the last day or after a deadline.

There should actually be enough weird music out there that not everyone in the forums would be familiar with.

Discuss ... maybe?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 446, 447, 448, 449, 450  Next