Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:03 pm 

Sorry, Wahn_nhaW, but I'm gonna have to heavily disagree with you here.

Don't get me wrong, "Season of the Dead" has some flaws, and it definitely has a more thrash style, but giving it a 20% is a HUGE underestimate of its influence.

Check out my reviews

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:17 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Sorry, Wahn_nhaW, but I'm gonna have to heavily disagree with you here.

Don't get me wrong, "Season of the Dead" has some flaws, and it definitely has a more thrash style, but giving it a 20% is a HUGE underestimate of its influence.

Noted. But let me also say, don't pay too much attention to the score. Those are always bound to be inconsistent. On a better day, it might have been something like 40%. As it is, it just failed to satisfy me SO MUCH that I had to express it somehow. It's an album I've had a problem with for years. But, also, it's something I could put on in the background, without it actively annoying me. So, that would be something like, 30-40%, yeah, I can admit that. Still, I think the actual score is the least important part of every review. At least I treat it that way when I read others' reviews. I respect that the album has its fans, and as such, its place in the death metal history.

I should probably say something about my reviewing "method", though it barely deserves to be called that. I don't do whole discographies, I don't do review series, etc. I review albums that I'm listening to at the moment if I think I have something worthwhile to say about them. This was the umpteenth attempt to get into Season of the Dead. It just happened to coincide with me posting on the forum and writing reviews again. The same goes for the rest of my reviews. For what it's worth, I really wanted to like Necrophagia so much, because it checks all the right boxes, but no, something just doesn't work there for me.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:37 am 

BOI

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... know/69704

Apologies, overly sarcastic rambling reviews such as these tend to inspire extreme reactions. Seriously, just have a gander at this, it's a clusterfuck. Also, the entirety of the musical description is placed in such a way that you can easily skip over that paragraph - he's clearly treating it as a secondary part of the review. I especially love how he tacks on THREE extra explanations for his ramblings after he finishes. What the actual fuck.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:
BOI

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... know/69704

Apologies, overly sarcastic rambling reviews such as these tend to inspire extreme reactions. Seriously, just have a gander at this, it's a clusterfuck. Also, the entirety of the musical description is placed in such a way that you can easily skip over that paragraph - he's clearly treating it as a secondary part of the review. I especially love how he tacks on THREE extra explanations for his ramblings after he finishes. What the actual fuck.

:eek: Wow... That is, uh, quite a review...

Check out my reviews

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:25 pm 

I didn't have a chance to read oneyoudontknow's review yet, but he assured me that it would be epic in scope and that he would be as bluntly honest as possible, which I obviously respect. One thing I will say up front is that the "Latin" passages on the album are not proper Latin, it's basically a bastardized version of it that has a number of grammatical errors. I composed some of the phrases back during my sophomore year in college when I was attempting to learn the language, the rest were composed later when I had a slightly better command of it. I did some checking on the earlier passages later and found that I had improperly modified several verbs and also conjured up some variations on the dative case that have no historical basis due to trying to transfer my flowery, low-context amateur English poetry into a high context language, so I basically decided to just leave it as is and call it a fictitious evolution of the language that is referred to as Darkspeak. Future albums will likely have a more precise rendering of the language due to my somewhat better knowledge of it now as opposed to back in 2001. I was planning on doing an extended explanation of this on the band's Facebook page as I'm sure anyone with a basic command of Latin will naturally spot these anomalies. lol

Anyhow, while I don't have a comment yet regarding the content of his review as I still need to fully peruse it, I do thank oneyoudontknow for taking the plunge. He's admittedly not a huge fan of the sub-genre so I am actually happy to have gotten a 70/100 out of him.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:12 pm 

Another great review by Hellbent, looking forward to him tackling also the rest of Akercocke's discography.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:19 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 666/951984

Oh boy... gratuitous thesaurus abuse! Haven't seen that in a while. Barring that, I think the content is fine but... ugh, he's trying too hard. He even has the audacity to make the ending paragraph into a TL;DR of sorts.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:40 pm 

Wow the strangest thing happened to me. I submitted a review and it was instantly approved.

I have waited on the past even 4 days for a review to be rejected or approved. Of course this is totally understandable for admins are humans and not bots that have to run behind our illiterate asses to correct and submit our horrendous opinions.

But now my review was instantly approved. Which one of the admins possesses lightning fast reading skills ? :eek: :eek: :np:

I got places I gotta be!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:24 pm 

Me, lol. Just so happened it came up right away as the next review while I was working on the queue. Didn't take long to read and approve.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:56 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Me, lol. Just so happened it came up right away as the next review while I was working on the queue. Didn't take long to read and approve.

Wow thanks man. It is really great to see my reviews getting approved. Your work is phenomenal.

I got places I gotta be!

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm 

Waking to such an enthused War Dogs_Die By Sword review is akin to Christmas! Finally! Let's hope more metal heads see the light - or sniff out its charms, either way...Haha! Actually, English is my first language; it took all of elementary and secondary school to master French, or at least make difference between masculine/feminine nouns (not hounds). Learned to read it, early on, however, thanks to my cousin's vast collection of "Picsous" (France's version of Duck Tales, albeit much cooler, with elaborately developed story lines, of a hardier, more mature mien).

Nods also to Highway Corsair for that Herzel-ness aka basic goodness!

I've a few surprises up my (healed left arm) sleeve, this coming weekend. Chairs. MT, for those Iron Void/Pentagram writes...)

(I've as many forum posts as reviews, now, waddya know!)

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:34 pm 

hails, big ups to Herzel

Guitars for Azath, death metal on Pulverised Records.

Owner Nameless Grave Records.

More info: see highwaycorsair.com

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:30 pm 

I absolutely adore when I want to write a review, but also don't want to listen to an album again because I thought it was mindlessly repetitive.

I plan on writing a review for Infant Annihilator's debut, but I thought the album on first listen was such a repetitive slog that having to go through it again to provide actual details on the songs feels like it's gonna be a major drag. Shit, I didn't even finish my first listen. Welp.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 pm 

Vadara wrote:
I absolutely adore when I want to write a review, but also don't want to listen to an album again because I thought it was mindlessly repetitive.

I plan on writing a review for Infant Annihilator's debut, but I thought the album on first listen was such a repetitive slog that having to go through it again to provide actual details on the songs feels like it's gonna be a major drag. Shit, I didn't even finish my first listen. Welp.

damn dude, I hope your reviews are more interesting than your forum posts.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:23 am 

Why review stuff that's hard to get through? Review albums you like or are passionate about enough to cover, don't review stuff just because it fuckin' exists.

Guitars for Azath, death metal on Pulverised Records.

Owner Nameless Grave Records.

More info: see highwaycorsair.com

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:57 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Why review stuff that's hard to get through? Review albums you like or are passionate about enough to cover, don't review stuff just because it fuckin' exists.

Normally I would agree with you, but the album in question is infamous, I plan on reviewing the other two albums the band made (which from my limited listening I will probably like a lot more), and if you even know deathcore at all you have listened to this album. I might as well provide my viewpoint on such a well-known album.

I want to put my surprising disappointment in words, frankly. It's so shockingly...mundane for an album that lit its scene on fire upon dropping and which gave the metal community another popular deathcore band to hate.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:42 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:

Shouldn't a reviewer be able to review anything and give their opinion on whether it's good, bad or whatever? Kinda the whole point of being a serious reviewer I would think. Imagine if everyone only wrote review's for just stuff they liked... fuck that.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:14 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:

Shouldn't a reviewer be able to review anything and give their opinion on whether it's good, bad or whatever? Kinda the whole point of being a serious reviewer I would think. Imagine if everyone only wrote review's for just stuff they liked... fuck that.

If it's a pain to sit through the album, there's a good chance the review wouldn't come out well either, wouldn't you say?

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:20 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:

Man i think you misunderstood him, I think Corsair is saying write a review about that album that you have particularly strong feelings about, positive or negative.

It is hard shitting out a review of a 50% album by a band that you couldn't care less about. Doing promo work in that regard is pretty hard.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:32 pm 

caspian wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:

Man i think you misunderstood him, I think Corsair is saying write a review about that album that you have particularly strong feelings about, positive or negative.

It is hard shitting out a review of a 50% album by a band that you couldn't care less about. Doing promo work in that regard is pretty hard.

When you put it like that then yes, I misunderstood HC, apologies HC. I definitely misinterpreted "passionate".

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:41 pm 

colin040 wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:

If it's a pain to sit through the album, there's a good chance the review wouldn't come out well either, wouldn't you say?

I'd certainly like a reviewer who could express that to the reader and luckily there are a bunch around here who can and do.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:11 pm 

Did some very minor editing of my Paranoid review to correct the odd spelling error.

Wasn't entirely happy with the review I'd submitted for Rainbow's Live in Germany 1976, so as it was still pending I deleted it, reworked it thoroughly and resubmitted it. Think it reads better now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ang/545340

Good review of Orden Ogan from Demon Fang - I think he and I basically have the same opinion on them these days. This new album has great choruses but they also bury some of the musicianship so fucking hard... and "Falconer becoming like Sabaton" is about as good an approximation of their career as any.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:21 pm 

On a more general note, I've been planning a few reviews out in my head and keep organizing them in a very rigid and not very fluid way. They basically all become:

-intro paragraph that introduces the band and broader social metal fandom context about them
-paragraph about the overall sound of the band and the structure of their songs
-paragraph about one trait (riffs, or vocals, or production, or drums, or lyrics etc.)
-several more paragraphs, each about one of the concepts mention in the above line
-outro paragraph

This works, but I don't like how my reviews when writing them end up going "here's the Riff Paragraph, and now here's the Vocals Paragraph, etc." It feels so robotic and rigid. Have any of you encountered and dealt with this problem?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:53 pm 

Vadara wrote:
On a more general note, I've been planning a few reviews out in my head and keep organizing them in a very rigid and not very fluid way. They basically all become:

-intro paragraph that introduces the band and broader social metal fandom context about them
-paragraph about one trait (riffs, or vocals, or production, or drums, or lyrics etc.)
-several more paragraphs, each about one of the concepts mention in the above line
-outro paragraph

This works, but I don't like how my reviews when writing them end up going "here's the Riff Paragraph, and now here's the Vocals Paragraph, etc." It feels so robotic and rigid. Have any of you encountered and dealt with this problem?

This started happening with my reviews back in the late 2000s, only I was all but exclusively writing 5 paragraph reviews and was basically mashing the "one trait" and "expansion of traits" paragraphs into 2 paragraphs talking about the specific songs and pushing the general trait descriptions into the second paragraph. I haven't really altered this model a whole lot since, save that I occasionally only write 4 paragraphs (or 6 or 7 if it's an album that I absolutely love) and even 3 paragraphs if it's a writeup for a single or shorter EP. I wouldn't necessarily call this a problem unless you find yourself writing almost the exact same review every time, but I tend to enjoy things that have a defined structure to them. If this is really starting to bother you, I'd argue trying to start your reviews differently and letting the rest flow out of that different introduction, I started beginning all of my reviews with a general philosophical statement rather than an introduction to the band, originally to try and differentiate my stuff from all of the "Band X has been" and "Band X is the band that" introductions that I saw on stuff I wanted to write about on here. This approach may not work for you, but it'll give you an opportunity to explore some other options. You may also want to try avoiding devoting entire paragraphs to one particular trait or category, but instead spend one sentence on the riffs, give a couple examples, then shift over to drums or vocals. Also, try to work in some content about the bass work unless it's Ian Hill handling bass duties, that instrument needs some love too. I hope this helps.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 am 

Glad Emp joined in with another negative No Other Godz review. No idea what Hells and Bayern were smoking when they wrote their reviews, but I would appreciate it if they could give me some of it.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:08 am 

Vadara wrote:

-outro paragraph

If you have reviews all planned out before you start, maybe you could do this and make it feel organized. If you just write and go with the flow, I'd probably start with one of your major talking points and then branch off as you see fit. Otherwise, you end up writing uninspired stuff that doesn't need to be there. Either approach can be useful for readers to gauge where they should look, since they will know from the start of the review what kind of structure it will have.

By the way, on the topic of Infant Annihilator, please don't become one of those guys who reviews albums because of your gut impression on first listen. It's lazy, and generally only gives a bare surface view of the album itself. If you want to criticize it, you need to do it properly and really cut to the core of the music.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:41 am 

In regards to Agent Steel, not sure what drug babayern was on but Hell's Unicorn's likely smoking same stash he'd indulged in before penning that Majestica_A Xmas Carol eulogy (unfortunately, not based on iconic American film from '83, A Christmas Story)...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:27 am 

caspian wrote:
Glad Emp joined in with another negative No Other Godz review. No idea what Hells and Bayern were smoking when they wrote their reviews, but I would appreciate it if they could give me some of it.

Judging off the thread here I figured everyone would hate that album. Guess not.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:51 am 

caspian wrote:

Smoking what... but of course "Agent Dust", the new drug. Not manufactured by Cyriis, mind you...

It's a great hyper-active fare... the album... love it, every minute of it. Exactly what I was expecting from Cyriis... direct, non-fussy, straight-forward, all the way. Well, his contribution behind the mike is a bit of an acquired taste, yes, but the man's not twenty anymore so... could be excused.

And, what's this "autotune" shit that everyone's crying about? And how exactly can it improve a vocalist's performance to such an extent? The way it seems to me, with its help I can turn into the new Jeoff Tate by the end of the month...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 pm 

bayern wrote:
caspian wrote:

Smoking what... but of course "Agent Dust", the new drug. Not manufactured by Cyriis, mind you...

It's a great hyper-active fare... the album... love it, every minute of it. Exactly what I was expecting from Cyriis... direct, non-fussy, straight-forward, all the way. Well, his contribution behind the mike is a bit of an acquired taste, yes, but the man's not twenty anymore so... could be excused.

And, what's this "autotune" shit that everyone's crying about? And how exactly can it improve a vocalist's performance to such an extent? The way it seems to me, with its help I can turn into the new Jeoff Tate by the end of the month...

I wouldn't care about the effects or whatever any vocalists use if they were singing good stuff, just to clarify.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:48 pm 

caspian wrote:

It's a new drug called speed metal goodness, basically like highly concentrated ganja but without the physical plant. :-P

In all seriousness though, apart from a flanger-like affectation on some of the vocal tracking, all I heard out of Cyriis is what I was hoping for, the answer to the mystery behind the pyramid the government has hidden underneath the Hoover Dam. Truth be told, the bizarre character of the vox actually works well with the Sci-Fi subject matter and conspiracy theorism, so it gained points on that front in my estimation. But in the end, I wanted a fast and frenetic version of Unstoppable Force to wash away all of the shitty Nevermore worship that was Alienigma, and that's exactly what I got.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:52 am 

Thank the godz that caspian and Empyreal brought some reality and sanity to the No Other Godz reviews. I was starting to think there was some sorta alien conspiracy afoot around here.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:11 pm 

I like the title of Empyreal's review - if Cyriis is considered middle-aged at 58, perhaps he really is an interdimensional being :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 pm 

Hey, you never know, OK?

I wouldn't say 58 is old either though.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:05 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Thank the godz that caspian and Empyreal brought some reality and sanity to the No Other Godz reviews. I was starting to think there was some sorta alien conspiracy afoot around here.

There are no godz save one good sir, and there are no others before him. Even if his church has lost its Profus, the conspiracy will forever endure. :-P
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:07 pm 

After having read the controversial reviews, I have given Agent Steel's No Other Godz Before Me a spin. I haven't listened to such a dreadful album in a very long time. It sounds like a poor man's interpretation of Kim Bendix Petersen that meets Thrash or Die. That's already a solid candidate for worst album of the year in my book. It was painful to just finish listening to that coaster or frisbee. I will write a review to warn people to stay away from this and avoid bleeding ears.

''Concert'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/concert-a-short-story-c31088448

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:25 pm 

kluseba wrote:
After having read the controversial reviews, I have given Agent Steel's No Other Godz Before Me a spin. I haven't listened to such a dreadful album in a very long time. It sounds like a poor man's interpretation of Kim Bendix Petersen that meets Thrash or Die. That's already a solid candidate for worst album of the year in my book. It was painful to just finish listening to that coaster or frisbee. I will write a review to warn people to stay away from this and avoid bleeding ears.

I've listened to that album before, and it's not that bad. It's just not as good as their previous works. I would give it a 65% - 70% should I review it.

Check out my reviews

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:50 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I've listened to that album before, and it's not that bad. It's just not as good as their previous works. I would give it a 65% - 70% should I review it.

Give it a go, a diversity of opinions on an album is far superior to a pile of similarly worded rants about autotune. :lol: :wink:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:38 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Give it a go, a diversity of opinions on an album is far superior than a pile of similarly worded rants about autotune. :lol: :wink:

I'll do it eventually, but first, I gotta cover some other albums.

Also, as for this...

Ziomalette wrote:
The last one (ManUNKind) also has probably the dumbest idea for a music video, where a wannabe black metal band plays this pop-rock thing. I mean... Why? Like, why even do this 'trve kvlt' imagery for a song that has barely anything to do with metal at all?

I agree that the song feels out of place with the music video, but the so-called "wannabe black metal band" is Mayhem, who happen to be one of the most famous black metal bands of all time.

Check out my reviews

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456  Next