Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Noktorn
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:27 pm 
 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Gotta give some props to Noktorn for his review of The Gallery.


Thanks. I think it could be better, though, and I could easily knock another 10 points off my rating. Maybe I'll redo it later, but I have more pressing ones to rewrite (have to redo my 'In Their Darkened Shrines' review somewhere in the 20s and more savage).
_________________
Nokturnal Transmissions Records - www.nokturnaltransmissionsrecords.com
Septic Tomb - www.myspace.com/septictomb
Bonescraper - www.myspace.com/bonescraper666

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Top
 Profile  
Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 317
Location: Japan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:58 pm 
 

I've the impression Noktorn is getting very popular these days. Could it be that anyone wants to get a free little release to review? :D


However, if I had to recommend a review, it would rather be this (quite old, by the way) review for Reverend Bizarre's Crush the Insects by Abominatrix. I was considering writing a review for this album, but after having read Abominatrix's work I realized little remained to be added. Without mentioning his analysis may be long, but remains nonetheless devoid of any ill-sounding pretension. Take example, people.
_________________
UltraBoris wrote:
All I know is, it would be good if it didn't suck so much.

I am the one lost Child, in this mediocrity.

Top
 Profile  
Bash
Talking Meat

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:06 am
Posts: 520
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:01 pm 
 

Sean16 wrote:
However, if I had to recommend a review, it would rather be this (quite old, by the way) review for Reverend Bizarre's Crush the Insects by Abominatrix. I was considering writing a review for this album, but after having read Abominatrix's work I realized little remained to be added. Without mentioning his analysis may be long, but remains nonetheless devoid of any ill-sounding pretension. Take example, people.


Ditto.

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 9126
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:48 pm 
 

Sean16 wrote:
I've the impression Noktorn is getting very popular these days. Could it be that anyone wants to get a free little release to review? :D


However, if I had to recommend a review, it would rather be this (quite old, by the way) review for Reverend Bizarre's Crush the Insects by Abominatrix. I was considering writing a review for this album, but after having read Abominatrix's work I realized little remained to be added. Without mentioning his analysis may be long, but remains nonetheless devoid of any ill-sounding pretension. Take example, people.


Thanks, both of you. That's definitely one of my more concise works, and I didn't even mention "Eternal Forest", which passed me by back then but has become one of my favourite Reverend songs.

Top
 Profile  
Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:59 am 
 

Most of the best write somewhat infrequently (if I had a face it would turned in your direction, Abominatrix), unfortunately, though some are more regular than others, such as Cheese_Priced.

Speaking of which:

Look.
_________________
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Top
 Profile  
fluffy_ferret
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:53 pm 
 

Abominatrix wrote:
Thanks, both of you. That's definitely one of my more concise works, and I didn't even mention "Eternal Forest", which passed me by back then but has become one of my favourite Reverend songs.


And the best one i've read from you is for Root's 'Temple In the Underworld' -- amazing job!
I'm pretty sure that album is never going to see another review. Who wants to be compared to that?

Top
 Profile  
requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 118
Location: British Indian Ocean Territory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 pm 
 

fluffy_ferret wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Thanks, both of you. That's definitely one of my more concise works, and I didn't even mention "Eternal Forest", which passed me by back then but has become one of my favourite Reverend songs.


And the best one i've read from you is for Root's 'Temple In the Underworld' -- amazing job!
I'm pretty sure that album is never going to see another review. Who wants to be compared to that?


It's too long for me -- 2100 words!? No album needs that much text for a review, I don't think my longest ones (which are also too long) are even half that long.

I like Sargon's review of the Root album better (at metalcrypt). I also have had a review of that album turning around for almost a year now, I should finish it. Root is just such a complex band their stuff takes forever to get a complete grasp of.

Top
 Profile  
fluffy_ferret
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:32 am 
 

You're right, as a review it's too difficult and long for most people...
but as a text, it's so fucking well-written.

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2719
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:10 pm 
 

Ozzy Apu's Lord Belial review is certainly an interesting read. Very abstract and intelligent.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 9126
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 am 
 

requiem99 wrote:
fluffy_ferret wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Thanks, both of you. That's definitely one of my more concise works, and I didn't even mention "Eternal Forest", which passed me by back then but has become one of my favourite Reverend songs.


And the best one i've read from you is for Root's 'Temple In the Underworld' -- amazing job!
I'm pretty sure that album is never going to see another review. Who wants to be compared to that?


It's too long for me -- 2100 words!? No album needs that much text for a review, I don't think my longest ones (which are also too long) are even half that long.

I like Sargon's review of the Root album better (at metalcrypt). I also have had a review of that album turning around for almost a year now, I should finish it. Root is just such a complex band their stuff takes forever to get a complete grasp of.


Yeah, it is a bit of a long one, but there are definitely longer by far on teh site. There are some albums that I love that only need a concise treatment .. but this isn't one of them.

Top
 Profile  
Noktorn
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:40 am 
 

It depends on what you write for. It goes back to the whole issue of review as buying guide vs. review as essay.
_________________
Nokturnal Transmissions Records - www.nokturnaltransmissionsrecords.com
Septic Tomb - www.myspace.com/septictomb
Bonescraper - www.myspace.com/bonescraper666

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 9126
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:06 pm 
 

Noktorn wrote:
It depends on what you write for. It goes back to the whole issue of review as buying guide vs. review as essay.


Absolutely. if anyone deserves an essay though, it's Root. The whole package needs to be discussed, not just the sound of the music.

Top
 Profile  
Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:59 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:55 am 
 

The latest from NausikaDalazBlindaz is solid.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=147244
_________________
"Who's this again?" my brother asks as his exceptional jeep stereo explodes with sound.
"Lair of the Minotaur!", I say loudly.
"Glare of the Minotaur?"
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26893
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:56 am 
 

Gutterscream wrote:
The latest from NausikaDalazBlindaz is solid.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=147244

Seems to have been deleted.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:59 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:58 am 
 

I posted the recommendation before actually accepting it, which was about a 20 second interlude - man you're fast. It's there now.
_________________
"Who's this again?" my brother asks as his exceptional jeep stereo explodes with sound.
"Lair of the Minotaur!", I say loudly.
"Glare of the Minotaur?"
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26893
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 am 
 

Gutterscream wrote:
I posted the recommendation before actually accepting it, which was about a 20 second interlude - man you're fast. It's there now.

I just happened to see it as I came to this page. :p

Now I see it. Yes, it is quite a nice review.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Muloc7253
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 343
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 pm 
 

Evil_Sock_Puppet's Trivium review is pretty good.
_________________
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.karnsteinrecords.com
Back online, August 2011

Top
 Profile  
Mungo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:41 pm
Posts: 663
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:50 pm 
 

I found myself cracking up at the new Underoath review.

Top
 Profile  
Reaper43
Painsponge

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:39 am
Posts: 347
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:42 pm 
 

Ah that was good for a laugh.

Top
 Profile  
Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:11 am
Posts: 552
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:25 pm 
 

Muloc has written a whole mass of short, clear reviews in the past month or two that I've just now noticed. And apparently deleted some old ones?

MushroomStamp deserves some praise, if he hasn't gotten any yet. Surely he is the only reviewer who would use the phrase "the slightly Lego-like distortion quality of the guitar."

Don't think anyone's mentioned Frankingstein yet. Long, high-quality. Possibly 'OlympicSharpshooter-esque'.

Nile577 wrote the 'Deathcult For Eternity' review that I would if I could be bothered.

Top
 Profile  
Muloc7253
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 343
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:41 pm 
 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
Muloc has written a whole mass of short, clear reviews in the past month or two that I've just now noticed. And apparently deleted some old ones?


When Cheeses_Priced recommends your reviews you know you gotta be doing something right :D

Thanks man, I have deleted a few of my older ones - mainly because either my opinion changes or I just plain didn't like the review looking back. The only exception is the review of the Burzum debut. I really tried to convey exactly how the album made me felt but I just couldn't sum it up, and it came out way too fanboyish. Have you ever considered reviewing that album? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Also, quite an old one, but Bloodstone's Within Temptation review was a great read.
_________________
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.karnsteinrecords.com
Back online, August 2011

Top
 Profile  
LORD_VAG
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:27 pm
Posts: 75
Location: Hong Kong
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:28 am 
 

Dark_Mewtwo1 's Job for cowboy review was a nice read but sort of off topic at times
_________________
Nightgaunt wrote:
Never again on my watch.

Top
 Profile  
Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:11 am
Posts: 552
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:32 pm 
 

Muloc7253 wrote:
Thanks man, I have deleted a few of my older ones - mainly because either my opinion changes or I just plain didn't like the review looking back. The only exception is the review of the Burzum debut. I really tried to convey exactly how the album made me felt but I just couldn't sum it up, and it came out way too fanboyish. Have you ever considered reviewing that album? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.


The Burzum review is the one that I noticed gone right off. I don't like a lot of my old reviews, but personally I just leave 'em. I don't even bother to correct grammar errors. Or factual errors!

I don't know what I'd say about s/t + Aske. I'd be more likely to review Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

Top
 Profile  
Bash
Talking Meat

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:06 am
Posts: 520
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:24 pm 
 

I enjoyed caspians Hellig Usvart review. It gives something of a different perspective, in relation to Nightgaunts superb review, as to why the album sucks.

Top
 Profile  
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 7154
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:26 pm 
 

Gutterscream and those 'album covers'. :roll:

Top
 Profile  
PhantomOTO
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 1507
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:29 pm 
 

Why the eye roll?

Top
 Profile  
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 7154
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 pm 
 

It was the only 'smirk-like' smiley I could find I guess.

IE its hilarious.

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6310
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:56 am 
 

Bash wrote:
I enjoyed caspians Hellig Usvart review. It gives something of a different perspective, in relation to Nightgaunts superb review, as to why the album sucks.


Thanks. It seems that both my and Nightgaunts review have the same view on why it's bad, but we're both approaching it from the exact opposite prespective, if you know what I mean. (ie. Nightgaunt being black metal fan, me being the Christian Apologist or whatever).

Also, mad props to Nightgaunt for his review. It's probably my favourite review on the archives, really well written, very informative and knowledgeable without being all 'look at me' and super pretentious.

Top
 Profile  
Muloc7253
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 343
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:46 am 
 

I also enjoyed the Horde review. I do need to get round to writing a positive review for that album though, I like it a lot.
_________________
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.karnsteinrecords.com
Back online, August 2011

Top
 Profile  
Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:09 am
Posts: 178
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:51 am 
 

PriestofSadWings has finally said the truth about Awaken the Guardian.
_________________
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam back my pants.

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 9126
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 am 
 

Peregrin wrote:


That review made me feel strange because about two years ago, or maybe even less, I probably would have said nearly exactly the same thing. But now? It's one of those albumss that was just sitting around, waiting for the right moment to click .. I always enjoyed a couple of the songs but didn't quite see why it was raved about so. It took the right atmosphere (I'd just finished my first reading of Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum" and a nice big bowl) and "The SOrceress" finally transported me, and I listened to the entire thing, and for the first time felt like playing it through a second time. It was "Fata Morgana" that really blew my mind and made me really realise what a stunning, gorgeously beautiful album ATG is if one only is able to unlock its hermetic quirkiness. I don't know how many people really feel it on first listen or how many just go with the crowd in saying how wonderful it is without sinking into it fully, but it's difficult for me to imagine anybody really getting it even after four or five spins.

Ok, enough reminiscing. It was good to get this perspective from Priestofsadwings, anyway, and it reminded me of why I used to find this record so perplexing.

Top
 Profile  
Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:09 am
Posts: 178
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:24 pm 
 

Fata Morgana is actually one of the two songs on that album that I do like, the other being Exodus. (I kinda like the main riff of Valley of the Dolls, but the rest of the song is rather poorly composed)

Can't understand why it was The Sorceress which made it click with you, though... that song is approximately ten times boring as a song which borrows the main riff from Children of the Grave has any right to be.

Then again, Rush and Yes bore me to sleep, so it's probably not that odd that I'd any day of the week take Into Battle over Awaken the Guardian even if Jim Matheos can play rings around Bobbie Wright. The key is that there are several different ways music can work - and while I concede that Awaken the Guardian is a thing of beauty from a composer's point of view, more well-thought out than most other albums in its genre, it's just not very emotionally engaging at all. (I was about to use the term "entertaining" but that probably gives the wrong associations when used in this context)

I know, I have terribly lowbrow taste in USPM. :P
_________________
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam back my pants.

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 9126
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:16 pm 
 

Peregrin wrote:
Fata Morgana is actually one of the two songs on that album that I do like, the other being Exodus. (I kinda like the main riff of Valley of the Dolls, but the rest of the song is rather poorly composed)

Can't understand why it was The Sorceress which made it click with you, though... that song is approximately ten times boring as a song which borrows the main riff from Children of the Grave has any right to be.

Then again, Rush and Yes bore me to sleep, so it's probably not that odd that I'd any day of the week take Into Battle over Awaken the Guardian even if Jim Matheos can play rings around Bobbie Wright. The key is that there are several different ways music can work - and while I concede that Awaken the Guardian is a thing of beauty from a composer's point of view, more well-thought out than most other albums in its genre, it's just not very emotionally engaging at all. (I was about to use the term "entertaining" but that probably gives the wrong associations when used in this context)

I know, I have terribly lowbrow taste in USPM. :P


Oi, you know exactly how I feel about Brocas Helm. But they're an entirely different beast.

Why was it "The Sorceress"? I think it was the Poe story, in part, coupled with the lyrics .. they seemed to go together really well and it made me think of a possible subtext for Poe's story. Not that they're now inextricably linked in my mind, but it was the connection that was waiting to be made. I couldn't agree less about the emotional content of this album ... it is the emotionalism of the piece (especially Arch's singing) that is so spellbinding. The progressive qualities are subtle and the feeling never seems sacrificed for the strange vocal/drum interplay (Zimmerman is quite underrated!), unlike some other bands classed as "prog metal" who've made quite a name for themselves. I guess it is pretty subjective as I enjoy some Rush stuff from the 70s and a few Yes albums and I don't think either are cases of cold, detached progressive music... Emerson, Lake and Palmer, maybe, but I enjoy them too in spurts.

Now I've got to go home and listen to "Awaken the Guardian".

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26893
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:26 pm 
 

WallsOfJericho's Ziltoid review pretty much sums up everything I would've said about it. Short and to the point, and it works.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8638
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:07 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
WallsOfJericho's Ziltoid review pretty much sums up everything I would've said about it. Short and to the point, and it works.

That's what I thought, too. Not much of the music itself, but damn, he hits the nail on the head with a might wrecking ball from Hell.
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 118
Location: British Indian Ocean Territory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:51 am 
 

You've got to be kidding me. "Takes it's self to seriously"? That is exactly 5 words in the header and already we see two grammar mistakes. This is what you recommend?

Top
 Profile  
Bash
Talking Meat

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:06 am
Posts: 520
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:52 am 
 

Heh, I was surprised that thing was even accepted.

Top
 Profile  
Bloodstone
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 296
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:31 am 
 

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=160652#147

Instant recommendation of first UltraBoris review in almost two years.
_________________
I pledge: to keep it alive | I promise: metal will thrive
I swear: myself to the cause | I'll teach: all the metal laws

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 18743
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:37 pm
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:35 am 
 

Bloodstone wrote:
http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=160652#147

Instant recommendation of first UltraBoris review in almost two years.


Damn, I was gonna post something about that.
But yeah, that's fucking awesome

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 9068
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:39 am 
 

Fail. Oven fodder.
_________________
Alpha Drone - Cobra Tattoo - Black metal song of the year
Lobotomizer - The world's worst motion comic

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 405  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group