Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Petrus_Steele
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 am
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 am 
 

I'm quite the perfectionist when it comes to my reviews, and I want to make sure I chronologically review the bands I listen, and I stumbled upon these two bands and in what order I should review them.

The first one is Origin (tech/brutal death metal). Tomorrow they'll be dropping their new studio/compilation album Abiogenesis - A Coming into Existence. This record features eight old and original tracks from the early 90s, combined with the band's first EP "A Coming Into Existence" which would be the last four tracks. So I'm confused in what I should review the band since this new record, despite its material that is more than 20 years old, is getting released tomorrow. Should I just start reviewing the band from their debut to this upcoming record, or review Abiogenesis - A Coming into Existence entirely first (which skips the first EP as it's already contained in this album), OR in a sense start with the first EP, continue into reviewing all other studio albums and then review Abiogenesis (first eight tracks); treating this as if it's an all-new album, despite the old material?

The second band is Fear Factory. Fear Factory already had a record ready and done before their actual debut, Soul of a New Machine (1992), called Concrete. This record was all ready to go in 1991, but the band wasn't happy with the material and only in 2002 the actual record was released. So I should review this record first, despite being released eleven years after and treat it as if it was actually released in 1991, or start with the debut from 1992 all the way till 2002 and treat that record as if it was like a new record?

Thanks in advance!

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9088
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:50 am 
 

If you're really, really hung up on making sure you review chronologically, just... review chronologically? Release order is usually pretty important when it comes to watching how a band evolved, and in the case of something like Origin it'd be really interesting to note the contrast between where they started and where they ended up using only the differences between those two renditions of the same songs. Same with Fear Factory, it'd be a neat glimpse backwards if you tackled that delayed album when it actually came out. Almost like an interlude of sorts. Don't overthink it, just do it however you want to do it.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEWS: Golden Ashes - Gold are the Ashes of the Restorer, Forlet Sires - Holy
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang
VOTE FOR THE BEST BLACK METAL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

Top
 Profile  
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 471
Location: Behind the wall of fire
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:29 pm 
 

Dude, I think you're making the rules here, so go with your own impression of "chronological". No one is going to criticize you if their idea is different.

Top
 Profile  
Petrus_Steele
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 am
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
If you're really, really hung up on making sure you review chronologically, just... review chronologically? Release order is usually pretty important when it comes to watching how a band evolved, and in the case of something like Origin it'd be really interesting to note the contrast between where they started and where they ended up using only the differences between those two renditions of the same songs. Same with Fear Factory, it'd be a neat glimpse backwards if you tackled that delayed album when it actually came out. Almost like an interlude of sorts. Don't overthink it, just do it however you want to do it.


Alright, thanks! Sounds good to me.

Top
 Profile  
Petrus_Steele
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 am
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 am 
 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Dude, I think you're making the rules here, so go with your own impression of "chronological". No one is going to criticize you if their idea is different.


Appreciate the comment! I should just do it my own way, how I deem "chronological order".

Top
 Profile  
SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am 
 

This is like "what's the correct Star Wars viewing order" all over again.
_________________
"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 am 
 

Wait... aren't you the guy that dumped all those Whitechapel reviews a little while ago? It would make sense that you are asking this question; you seem to be under the impression that you're obligated to review every single album released by a certain band.
_________________
"Rock is a dying form of music... now let's bring it back."
Vadara wrote:
How can something be riffless slam when a slam, by definition, is a metal riff?

https://therealdiamond02.bandcamp.com/ - My project - Metalcore Melding Mayhem

Top
 Profile  
Petrus_Steele
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 am
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Wait... aren't you the guy that dumped all those Whitechapel reviews a little while ago? It would make sense that you are asking this question; you seem to be under the impression that you're obligated to review every single album released by a certain band.


How do you mean by 'dumped'? I just like to review bands in chronological order and I basically don't want to miss on any material a band has ever released to the public.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4527
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:18 pm 
 

Gods forbid somebody want to see what all a band has to offer, right?
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Petrus_Steele
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 am
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:59 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Gods forbid somebody want to see what all a band has to offer, right?


Unless some releases are not available or sound like shit or piled into a compilation album (which is best-case scenario), then I don't see any issue with that. I think it's fun.

Top
 Profile  
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 471
Location: Behind the wall of fire
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:41 am 
 

Petrus_Steele wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Gods forbid somebody want to see what all a band has to offer, right?


Unless some releases are not available or sound like shit or piled into a compilation album (which is best-case scenario), then I don't see any issue with that. I think it's fun.

I think Twisted_P was poking fun at Lord_of_D. He's not developed a reputation for looking very deeply at the context of albums he reviews.

Personally, I'm keen on reviewing everything from a band only if they really mean something special to me. For other bands, it's fun to give them a chance and empty out most of your opinions in one review, but it would be tiresome to review everything. You've obviously got a list of bands that are very important to you and will review all their stuff, so that's cool.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group