Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:42 am 

I stopped giving reviews to bands who asked me or bands that have too much time on their hands to actually care..cause after I gave my honest opinion on one review (which wasn't even harsh but very objective thou), the band took offense and said "so lets hear your band and see how good you guys are", I ignored the reply at first but then pm them back and told them " did you want a review or just a kiss in the ass"? Hey, I'm no Simon Cowell by any means but if you want my honest opinion be ready to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 am 

A forum private message titled "Hey shithead":
Quote:
Perhaps you should try doing a bit of research before posting a badly written and poorly thought out review on a subject you clearly know fuck all about. That way you could at least appear to be even somewhat knowledgeable about the subject that you took the time to write on.

Just a little food for thought.

I think that might be a response to my Woods of Desolation review, but the guy never specified.

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:48 pm 

People actually get pissed if you give them bad reviews? Easy solution for the band: make music that doesnt suck shit bagels.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 am 

Last edited by sushiman on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:46 pm 

Quote:
Yes, I realize you wrote that review 3 years ago, but I just saw it tonight and I felt the need to contact you, being a fan of Ritual since their early days...

and in a second e-mail (I always like to engage such folks in a discussion)
Quote:
As far as "respecting" your (or others) opinion, you are correct I have NO RESPECT for misinformed people such as yourself who run their mouths without knowing all the information. Your opinion is what is pathetic and irrelevant.

The whole rambling is a bit longer.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:59 pm 

The worst I ever got was when I wrote a review for a band that one of my own projects opened for last year. The album I reviewed is damn good but I thought it was too short and wondered if they couldn't get a longer album due to their constant touring. They replied that the minimum length of an album can be a half hour long and seemed a little snippy about it, but their frontman was genuinely nice to me when I saw them again a couple months ago.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 pm 

So I reviewed Fragmented Atrocities by the band Abdicate that resides in Rochester. I was hanging with my friend and their singer came over. My friend showed him the review I did. He didn't know I did it. It was really weird to see a band member read my review in front of me. He didn't get angry or upset cause I was being honest and I still liked it. It was... an odd situation. I also put like 3 songs of the album for download on the blog I do so I hope he doesn't mind!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm 

Not sure if this qualifies, but there was a forum regular a couple of years ago who had several bands on the archives. He had just come back from a long hiatus from the forum and was "creating" a lot of new music and posting links and whatnot throughout the forum. I think he got a couple of reviews.

Someone pointed out that one of his songs sounded a bit "familiar" and so I did some digging and quickly discovered that the vast majority of "his" music was literally just other band's songs slowed down in Audacity and marketed as drone, haha. He tried to backslide and say that they were "covers" but they were clearly the original tracks slowed down and nothing more, so most (all?) of his projects got yanked from the site. The dude then proceeded to post tons of hilarious raging rants (I'm talking multi-page walls of text with all sorts of hilarious insults and whatnot) about me on his Myspace and on this forum.

Good times.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Not sure if this qualifies, but there was a forum regular a couple of years ago who had several bands on the archives. He had just come back from a long hiatus from the forum and was "creating" a lot of new music and posting links and whatnot throughout the forum. I think he got a couple of reviews.

Someone pointed out that one of his songs sounded a bit "familiar" and so I did some digging and quickly discovered that the vast majority of "his" music was literally just other band's songs slowed down in Audacity and marketed as drone, haha. He tried to backslide and say that they were "covers" but they were clearly the original tracks slowed down and nothing more, so most (all?) of his projects got yanked from the site. The dude then proceeded to post tons of hilarious raging rants (I'm talking multi-page walls of text with all sorts of hilarious insults and whatnot) about me on his Myspace and on this forum.

Good times.

Awesome. Did you ever alert the original bands' about the forgeries?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 pm 

One of the tracks was a Mgla song. I couldn't find any contact info for M or the band, so I sent an email to Northern Heritage with some links to the Myspace. They replied to thank me for the notification but I didn't investigate further (nor would it have been any of my business, really). I would've notified further bands/labels but by that point a lot of the stuff was getting yanked off Myspace and had already been removed from M-A so I didn't press the issue.

Hate the Morning
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:14 pm 

Ba Zuulizx Karoth wrote:
People actually get pissed if you give them bad reviews? Easy solution for the band: make music that doesnt suck shit bagels.

This . . . and toughen up. Seems so cliche - no one should have to even say it. If they can't weather the storm in the beginning how do they intend on actually make their band last?

There's also nothing wrong with taking a critical look at your own work and trying to figure out what to improve. If one decides they've achieved their desired sound then they just need to learn how to eat the soup.

By adulthood everyone should have learned that you can't please everybody - even a whore is hated.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 pm 

Short story long, I joined MA and started writing reviews after many years of just following from the outside. Main reason I joined was to try to bring some attention to criminally unknown bands that deserve a lot more credit and support. Once I started writing reviews I found it was pretty fun and kept thinking of new albums to review and how I would review them. Original plan was to just review stuff I like a lot so everything would have a pretty high score, but then I felt like they wouldn't have any credibility if I didn't write some bad reviews. So I wrote a couple bad reviews of bands that are actually some of my favorites which ended up in awkward conversations with the actual band themselves. I realized I kind of lost sight of my purpose of bringing positive attention to awesome, unknown bands so I had to reevaluate my reviewing strategy. I like writing good reviews, the bands notice them and appreciate them and if a review even draws a few new fans then it was a success. While my bad reviews were well written they ended up sounding overly harsh and at the end of the day I just felt like a total dick for bashing some of my favorite bands who released a "not one of their best albums"... I think I should just stick to reviewing the ones I like most and not focus on a weak point of an amazing discography. Anyway this whole situation kind of made me lose complete interest at least for now. I had plans to write a lot more, but I don't know when I will proceed at this point. :argue:

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:27 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Good times.

The old Vonskapens_Mat or whatever. Man what a tosser he was.. good times there though, dude got so badly burnt.

logan6511 wrote:
I stopped giving reviews to bands who asked me or bands that have too much time on their hands to actually care..cause after I gave my honest opinion on one review (which wasn't even harsh but very objective thou), the band took offense and said "so lets hear your band and see how good you guys are", I ignored the reply at first but then pm them back and told them " did you want a review or just a kiss in the ass"? Hey, I'm no Simon Cowell by any means but if you want my honest opinion be ready to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

Yeah I've had this happen before and it's a bit of a laugh. If people offer me their stuff to review I normally try to do it in a friendly, constructive manner, even if it's shit. If people can't take well-meaning criticism then fuck 'em.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm 

Quote:
Yeah I've had this happen before and it's a bit of a laugh. If people offer me their stuff to review I normally try to do it in a friendly, constructive manner, even if it's shit. If people can't take well-meaning criticism then fuck 'em.

Yeah, this is important. Despite what some people believe, there's a world of difference between "this is shit" and "this would smell less like shit if you focused less on these rehashed riffs and trying to focus on the nice atmospheres you're creating" or something. Stuff like "yeah this blows" is thoughtless because it just spews negativity with no real reason attached, but stuff like "I didn't like this, but there's room to grow" shows that you believe enough in their ability to create good art to try and help them in some small way.

No artist likes having their work torn apart, but a halfway open-minded artist will understand that if you're taking the time to put out a legitimate critique, then you care enough about them to help them grow. My "fuck you threshold" comes from when someone cusses you out for giving them a fair, friendly and constructive critique that didn't happen to praise their work as the second coming of Jesus, Allah and Odin all in one deific trifecta. :ugh: There are levels of stubbornness that just can't be fixed so easily.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 pm 

I got a weird reaction from The Albion Codex concerning my review.

"Hi not to be funny mate but the next time you want to review our album can you please ask our permission, its great that you take it upon yourself to review bands but like i said please ask us infuture."

I gave them a 73%, hardly a negative score. I guess they have no idea how reviews work. Poor dudes.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 pm 

What......:lol:

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am 

That was pure gold. :lol:

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:03 am 

Metantoine wrote:
"... its great that you take it upon yourself to review bands ..."

Maybe they thought that the MA-staff does the site business and not burdened with the task to write reviews.
But aside from this it is nothing but a ridiculous statement.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:00 pm 

Perhaps, but I don't think he even realized that I'm a mod. I talked to the guy and he had the balls to tell me that my reviews are "off the cuff" too, what an ungrateful dick. I asked several of my reviewer friends to write one, Caspian already did!

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 pm 

Yeah it was funny. I wonder if they've read the new reviews. What a bunch of dicks.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:45 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
"Hi not to be funny mate"

Well, he certainly didn't keep that promise.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I got a weird reaction from The Albion Codex concerning my review.

"Hi not to be funny mate but the next time you want to review our album can you please ask our permission, its great that you take it upon yourself to review bands but like i said please ask us infuture."

I gave them a 73%, hardly a negative score. I guess they have no idea how reviews work. Poor dudes.

To follow up on this, the band recently broke up... :eek: Thanks to the reviewers who trashed the band! http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... ts/381450/

Oh and Vestal Claret weren't too happy with my rant about Phil Swanson. Some funny comments there.
https://www.facebook.com/VestalClaret/p ... 6408216428

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:40 am 

Phil Swanson is awesome, but that rant is really mild and quite polite - weird that they'd get offended over that.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:48 pm 

"Formed in August 2012 and ended in November 2013."

That says it all. Maybe they thought they'd be rock stars and get laid every night with a different groupie. Bunch of idiots.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:37 am 

Heh, apparently the Finnish band Numinous didn't take too kindly to my 61% review of their album, as they've gone on a bit of a rant on their website:

Quote:
In response to the review in "metal archives":

Thank you for your "expert" opinions and analysis. One is much wiser now, oh great seer. When it comes to religious/spiritual music there is no reason to and it cannot be approached and analysed "music-technically" or in any other worldly, superficial manner. This is exactly your problem; mundane, secular approach. Your "review" is taken as an insult towards us for it is far from constructive and it is clear that your only purpose is to fuck with us and undermine our work.

Numinous is not easy music for the teens and "ever-teens" whose concerns include e.g. who has the best sound and who the "brutalest" vocalist, what tempo we have there, what beat there, and in what key is that scale in here and is it appropriate... etc. etc. etc.

It's obvious that the "reviewer's" life's purpose is not the service of the Lord because he doesn't even understand the simple things like that it's always better to have bands that have serious, sincere aim to bring about harm and evil to this world than the millions of bands that preach the exact opposite. I guess it's black metal that has taught him that it's only music (and even that in superficial sense only) that counts and nothing else. There we have yet another "advantage" that comes along with that term although we have done our part in distancing ourselves from it.

With spiritual blindness comes spiritual deafness.

Normally I'd just have a laugh at this sort of thing but the fact that they think I've got some personal reason to fuck with them or undermine their work, and worse, that I'm one of those guys who's all about the music, maaaan*, warranted a response so I sent them an email to try to clear up some misunderstandings. We'll see what happens, I guess.

*While I don't share the band's orthodox Satanic religious views, I'm in strong disagreement with the oft-cited notion that "it's only music" or that the purely musical elements are the only thing that matters. On the contrary, I think a band's extra-musical elements can be of great importance. So, though I don't share their religious views, I simply think that other sorts of black metal do a better job of evoking a sort of spiritual awe of the majesty of Satan than that kind of ultra-dissonant DsO-ish stuff that Numinous have unwisely chosen as their musical vehicle.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:47 am 

I write for a website outside of MA and I've gotten plenty of negative responses. I feel bad for bands that respond in a way as having such a thin skin inevitably means they aren't going to be around for long. But I started looking at it differently; they took the time to read your review and think enough other people will as well that they want it changed. Win for the reviewer.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:47 am 

must admit I was pretty chuffed at the responses to a really-negative-but-not-too-harshly-worded review I did for the sleeping shaman about a generic stoner rock/metal band.

Quote:
Get new reviewers Sleeping Shaman. This guy goes out of his way to be disrespectful and shows zero intelligence and insight into this awesome debut album by a band I know does it hard. He sucks balls and it sounds to me like he has "mummy issues"

System of Venus have done a great job on their first album. I love everything about it. This review is rubbish. Find some better reviewers

time to hire some new reviewers Sleeping Shaman , this one's a fucktard

"never sounds like she's singing her box off"?! what kind of comment is that? if you don't like the vocals - that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. you are not, however, entitled to make (snide) sexist remarks. uninspired reviewer, 0/10 would not read again.

Felt good man. And yeah, just rather weird considering I felt I articulated why it sucked in a fairly civil way :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:37 am 

Not sure what the exact connotations of "box" for vagina (I assume?) are, but I don't see anything sexist in that review. Nor does it seem particularly, well, mean.

Quote:
Get new reviewers Sleeping Shaman. This guy goes out of his way to be disrespectful and shows zero intelligence and insight into this awesome debut album by a band I know does it hard. He sucks balls and it sounds to me like he has "mummy issues"

Lol, yeah and that comment is the pinnacle of respect and intelligence.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:57 am 

"Box" isn't an inherently sexist term, as far as I know. It's non-hostile, somewhat silly slang like referring to a penis as a "dong". Calling it sexist because it associates a set of genitals with the Glorious Fairer Sex seems very whiteknightish.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 am 

Cool stories, I wish I had one to add, but last time I reviewed a local band, they invited me in. Pure amount of much-win.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 pm 

I haven't had maximum buttdestruction in a while. I don't write to intentionally piss people off, but I won't lie and say it's not a fun side effect at times.

the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 pm 

There's that damned HORSE COCK again.

Edit: for coherence:

Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:33 am 

I always knew I should have bagged that album, I'm so jealous of your glorious hate Mike.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:06 pm 

I wonder if it's this guy?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100573

slave2satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:09 pm 

sometimes i read positive reviews on here that give albums only like 50-70%. i cant think of an example right now, but it seems common. i always read them and they dont say a single negative thing but still rate it not so good.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:32 pm 

slave2satan wrote:
sometimes i read positive reviews on here that give albums only like 50-70%. i cant think of an example right now, but it seems common. i always read them and they dont say a single negative thing but still rate it not so good.

A 70% being a "not so good" rating is an opinion, not fact. The way I rate albums, there are plenty with 70% that are still good, just not great. This is another reason why you should just disregard the score altogether if you can help it, the review itself is all that really matters at the end of the day anyway.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:38 am 

I've been seeing bands that I've reviewed putting up an awful lot of passive-aggressive facebook posts these days.
Why not just say what you think about the review to my face, instead of acting all pissy and girly about it?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 am 

Zerberus wrote:
I've been seeing bands that I've reviewed putting up an awful lot of passive-aggressive facebook posts these days.
Why not just say what you think about the review to my face, instead of acting all pissy and girly about it?

I, personally, would love for you to post an example of this. Sounds hilarious.

Last.fm

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Zerberus wrote:

I, personally, would love for you to post an example of this. Sounds hilarious.

I wish it was, but it really isn't.

But here's the latest one:
http://gouls-crypt.blogspot.dk/2014/02/legionary-path-of-tyranny-ep-2013-self.html

For the short version, read the first three or four lines of paragraphs 2 and 3.

Now read Legionary's latest post on Facebook:
"So what's everyone's thoughts on the few people labeling Legionary a "Melodic Death Metal" band? I personally don't see it... Melodeath to me is Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, old In Flames, At The Gates, etc... etc... I'd say we're a death/thrash band with 'melodious solos' and epic/melodic sections for sure, but full fledged melodeath? I think a lot of metalheads today lack so much knowledge on what is actually what... A lot of metalheads prefer an album to remain in one direction, and if it has twists and turns along the way, it's somehow not "true"... What are some of your opinions on this subject?"

Whether I'm wrong or not, I think it's a childish way to react, especially considering they themselves asked me to write the review. Also they didn't bother replying to my message that the review was posted, which makes it seem like they're really pissy about it too

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:38 am 

Zerberus wrote:
Whether I'm wrong or not, I think it's a childish way to react, especially considering they themselves asked me to write the review. Also they didn't bother replying to my message that the review was posted, which makes it seem like they're really pissy about it too

Looks like one of them commented on your article.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next