Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
invocator2k
Forum enforcer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:27 pm 

Last updated : March 4th, 2014

After getting three packages this week with discs that were damaged during transportation because of bad packaging, even by experienced traders, I decided to write this guide to help everyone out there and stop throwing discs away.

If you're trading internationally or even within your own country, you'll often have to send discs without the plastic cases to reduce weight and thus save on shipping costs. Plastic jewel cases are easy to replace and you can get them for cheap almost anywhere, so it makes no sense to send them if you can safely send the discs without.

I'm not saying my method is the best there is out there, but it has never failed and the discs I send (and inserts!) usually arrive at the other end in the same condition they were when I packed them.

I will first list the things to avoid. Some people like to take shortcuts, whether it is to save time and/or money on shipping. While it may work sometimes, you're simply asking for trouble and eventually, something valuable you sent will arrive broken at the other end and you'll have to make up for it in some way.

1. AVOID STACKING THE DISCS DIRECTLY ON EACH OTHER

This is a common mistake, and even experienced traders still do this. What is stacking?

I see this all the time. It usually makes no difference whether you put them in plastic wrap afterwards so they don't move or just let them loose inside your package - if they're directly touching each other, something bad will happen eventually, like the example below :

As you will see, it doesn't take much. I identified the damage in red. If you look closely at both pictures, you'll notice the same white pattern on BOTH sides of the disc. It is hard to clearly identify with a scanner or a camera, but the white in this case means you can see through the disc (the background portion of my scanner is white). If you can see through the disc, it means the audio layer (ie. the layer which holds the data of your disc, usually located closer to the logo side for an audio CD) is damaged and the CD will either skip or you will hear glitches when listening to it. In this example, this little spot generated 66 bad frames when tested with AccurateRip. These are worse than scratches on the playing side! Why? They are not repairable. There are devices out there which can "repair" or "clean" scratches on audio discs. However, if the audio layer itself is scratched, there's nothing you can do. Those machines will remove the scratches from your disc but can't replace the audio data that was lost.

Why does it happen? I can't say for sure. I studied a bit of physics back in high school, but I'm into computers now. Your guess would probably be as good as mine. It probably has something to do with dust/sand/whatever that gets between the discs, or static build-up of some kind when the discs are pressured on each other. Discs that are silver on both sides and do not have an extra printed logo layer seem to be more vulnerable.

Now, I'm sure some of you are going to say that this is insane, that they buy CD-Rs in packs of 50 that are stacked on each other and that they are all perfect. Why would doing the same thing to send their own discs be wrong? Simple - those blank discs are bundled together in a dust-free, controlled environment. Unless you work in such a facility and pack your things there, there's no way you can achieve the same results.

Others will claim they always sent their discs like that, and no one complained. You've either been extremely lucky or the people you dealt with never really paid attention and considered the small glitches to be normal, as if they were listening to an old LP. The reality is, if you're collecting CDs instead of LPs, it's that you care about getting a disc that sounds exactly the same as when it was manufactured.

What is good practice then?

Use paper sleeves (individually, do not put two discs in the same or else you'll have the same problems!) or plastic sleeves (two-sided or not). If you can't find any, you can even use bathroom tissue to isolate the discs from each other. You can easily buy those sleeves online or at dollar stores for next to nothing. Here in Canada, I can buy a pack of 120 two-sided plastic sleeves (ie. good for 240 CDs) for 1.99$.

Now, some will say that this adds weight to the parcel. It is true - a paper sleeve like that is approximately 3 grams. The plastic sleeve is a bit lighter and can hold 2 CDs. Yes, on numerous occasions in the past, I've encountered situations where I could stay under the 250 grams limit by just stacking the discs on each other, or end up a little over 250 grams (and thus double my shipping costs) and use plastic/paper sleeves to properly protect them. What can you do in this case? Ask yourself if you really want to take the chance ... Let's say you simply stack them and that 2 of the discs arrive damaged at the other end. You'll have to give 2 discs to replace them, and pay shipping another time. What if it were rare CDs instead of common CDs? Always carefully protect your stuff.

Don't be afraid also to split your parcels in two if necessary. Here in Canada, sending a parcel up to 100 grams (usually 2 CDs without case) by air mail to Europe for instance is approximately 4.50$. Sending one from 101 grams to 250 grams (~3-7, or 8 with stacking) is approximately 9.50$. From 251 grams to 500 grams (8-16), it's roughly 19$. If I trade 8 CDs, I could probably be cheap and stack the discs on each other and stay under 250 grams. However, chances are something bad will occur. If I decide to use plastic sleeves and only send one parcel, and that the overall weight is 258 grams, those extra 8 grams will double my shipping costs. Do I risk stacking? No. I split my parcel in two - one with 6 or 7 CDs (9.50$) and one with 1-2 CDs (4.50$), for a total of 14$ instead of 19$. Yes, I'm paying an extra 4.50$ as opposed to stacking the discs, but at least the other trader will be satisfied and I won't have to replace a disc or two in the process.

2. DO NOT PUT THE DISCS WITHIN THE BOOKLET OR DIRECTLY ON THE TRAY CARDS

This is another common mistake. Yes, you might not have the same issues as with stacking, but most of the time, you will have to deal with what we can call "disc imprint". I'd say 9 times out of 10, the shape of the disc will remain on the booklet afterwards, especially with thin booklets. Some people don't care, but believe me, a lot more do.

Paper booklets are not cardboard sleeves!

I don't think more explanations are needed for this one.

Now, what should you do? Find a way to isolate the inserts from the discs. Most people will use a cardboard sheet slightly bigger than the size of the back cover. The inserts go on one side, the discs on the other.

3. MAKE SURE NOTHING IS LOOSE INSIDE YOUR PACKAGE

This is another common mistake. I've received parcels where the other trader simply put the discs and inserts in a padded mailer, without using anything to hold them together and prevent them from moving. This is a recipe for disaster. Not only are you increasing the chances of the discs getting smashed to pieces, you're also opening the door to inserts getting damaged, torn or ripped. If you could follow your parcel from the day it leaves your hands to the day it is delivered, you'd be amazed at how little consideration is given to handling your stuff with care.

What should you do? Like what I mentioned before, if you use a cardboard sheet to isolate the discs from the inserts, you should then wrap everything using good old plastic wrap like the one you find at the grocery store (buy the cheapest, it doesn't have to be thick) and then cheap masking tape (any adhesive tape will do) on the edges to prevent movement.

I will add more pictures and a detailed description of my method within the next days, and will clean up the image size to make this more readable.

Grief_Of_Adoration
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 am 

Very Very Very Useful Topic!
I had same problems with some packages I got from Traders/Sellers! Some rare/gem Cds were ruined by the traders/sellers even labels who don't have s sense of responsibility :(

Dear invocator2k, Thank you so much for this Great Topic! I really appreciate your work!

Headquake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm 

Very wise way to pack cds. I've traded with you invocator2k, and this is exactly how I package my cds for shipping.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:11 am 

good topic. I always use strong cardboard and put the inserts in between them to avoid bending, tearing or other shit. then, as invocator described, use plastic wrap around it and tape it criss-crossed ONCE to prevent the cardboard pieces from getting off top of each other. the cheap one will indeed do.

when sending several discs, I also use a few layers (!) of plastic wrap in between discs. if they are around 10 or more discs, I stack them indeed as shown in the first picture, BUT NOT DIRECTLY ON TOP OF EACH OTHER!!! this is basically crying for scratches and other damages. have been trading cd's internationally this way for 10+ years and never heard any complaints.

rule of thumb: think about what you are doing and its effects and how you want to receive the discs yourself!!!
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:52 am 

Nice, good idea too, sloppy packing or under packing is a good way to ruin a purchase/swap.
Something that irks me no end is when someone fails to cover the sticky side of the tape [inside] and it sticks to the paperwork and destroys it on removal :(

We have a limit of 10mm thick for things to be classed as 'letters' here so I sandwich the disc and paperwork between tissue paper and cardboard to meet this limit
Plus it gets delivered by the postman not a courier and doesn't look steal-able :roll:

Letters can be as little as $2.40 to post anywhere but a parcel starts at $11.65 so it's well worth it

Metal_Fayyaz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 pm 

a very useful infos here, you should have this topic stick it out so everyone can read it and made useful out of it

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:11 am 

I added some photos to my postage page on my blog to 'de-mystify' how I pack single CDs :tinfoil:
http://dreadmeat.wordpress.com/postage/

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:39 am 

I REALLY wish you guys would read this, you must put something between the discs to protect them :annoyed:

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:34 pm 

Very informative thread. I too have been very careful on sending product without cases whether it be personal trades or for my label - I sometimes send cds overseas for individuals to save on shipping.

I save all packaging I get aside from boxes... I have a drawer full of paper sleeves from all sorts of places. I've never paid for anything packaging wise. I get free boxes from work. You can get free boxes all time by going to a local hardware retailer and becoming friends with their paint department. The boxes sample paints come in are perfect for this. I can fit a good amount of product in there with plenty of packaging. In the US, shipping via media mail for these is less than $4 for almost any weight up to 2lbs.

Also, in the US, the Letter thickness size limit is 3/4. If you go to a post office with a cd in a letter envelope or whatever, you can impress that it's under the 3/4" limit. This works well for individual cds overseas being shipped without cases. In the US, might as well send with cases via media mail.

I've been doing this for years now and have never had a problem with the exception of one package being sent to Chile which was returned to me about six months later out of nowhere with about 10,000 different country's postage stamps on it.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:56 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Also, in the US, the Letter thickness size limit is 3/4. If you go to a post office with a cd in a letter envelope or whatever, you can impress that it's under the 3/4" limit.
This works well for individual cds overseas being shipped without cases. In the US, might as well send with cases via media mail.
AHA! I knew this was still possible.

StarrBlade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:55 am 

Thanks for posting this, very helpful.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:20 pm 

People seem to be getting this, the majority of people sending me stuff now without cases are doing a pretty good job, but not everybody.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:40 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:
Also, in the US, the Letter thickness size limit is 3/4. If you go to a post office with a cd in a letter envelope or whatever, you can impress that it's under the 3/4" limit.
This works well for individual cds overseas being shipped without cases. In the US, might as well send with cases via media mail.
AHA! I knew this was still possible.

Hi I just want to mention, and hopefully save people time/money. You must send all 'rigid' packages through the USPS package service, I used to send it through the letter/large envelope services and I just tried it last month to get the whole thing returned. Just a heads up, yeah it really sucks, it is pretty much a minimum of $8-10 to send anything overseas right now but thats the way it is.

from the usps website:
"Large envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices. "

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:09 pm 

I used to buy heaps from America but USPS jacked their prices way up so now I don't =[
Large parcels are ok though, just not single CDs or small parcels

Handy to know about rigid packages, I won't bother trying to convince people to do this from now on.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:19 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
I used to buy heaps from America but USPS jacked their prices way up so now I don't =[
Large parcels are ok though, just not single CDs or small parcels

Handy to know about rigid packages, I won't bother trying to convince people to do this from now on.

I would actually like to hear some other peoples opinion on this, because when selling through discogs (and paying for shipping through paypal) they have nothing on their page about rigid packages. I usually pay for postage through usps.com but I would like to know other peoples experiences through the paypal shipping service. Like I said I did have one package get returned to me, but that was through usps.com, I am now very curious if it is different through paypal, because that could save 5-8 bucks for a single CD...

Just realized this as I am preparing to ship something to Germany that I sold via discogs.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:08 pm 

I think it's because the mail sorting machines have rollers so anything rigid may get wasted on the way through the rabbit hole

Manewarrior
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:15 am 

Excellent topic. I just got a big pile of cd's stacked like in the firt picture...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:21 pm 

Just got a CD without the case sent to me in a thin bubble bag with no cardboard for rigidity and no return address all the way from Netherlands =/
Obviously the rigours of travel took their toll, all the paperwork is bent, lucky the disc didn't break

A return address is mandatory for international stuff :nono: :(

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:25 am 

Very helpful

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 am 

How would you folks pack digipaks?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 am 

I often put a square of tissue paper under the disc then a square of bubble wrap on top over the spindle.
The rest is pretty standard I suppose, bubble wrap, cardboard etc around the rest

~Guest 22033
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:39 am 

This must be Far Beyond Driven. Been looking for this version.
And thanks for useful tips!

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 am 

where can I get nice jewel cases for a good price?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am 

^ Ebay is a good place to start

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 am 

Maybe I looked over it, but what is the best way to ship an LP?

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 am 

Can Orion or someone else please explain about sending as letters instead of packages? Is this still possible?

Reply to topic