Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:26 pm 

How many instruments do you own and what brands are they?

I currently own

Epiphone - Les Paul
Ibanez - RG Series
Acoustic Alvarez
Acoustic Yamaha
Classical Guitar (unknown creator)

I have had quite a few instruments since I started playing in 1987. I was part of a big circle of musicians when I was in my early 20s. We used to trade back and forth. I had an SG Les Paul, three humbucker anniversary edition and a Les Paul Custom, which I wish I still had them both.

Dr Culty's Instagram Horror Movie Collection

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:49 pm 

I only have an ESP LTD 7 string with Bare Knuckle pickups, and an ESP LTD TL-12 12 string hollow body.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 am 

I'm into Ibanez and Yamaha.
Two Ibanez RG guitars and one Yamaha classical.
Then one Ibanez SR bass, a Yamaha RBX and a defretted Yamaha TRBX.

Six and four strings only, I'm old fashioned.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:35 pm 

I have a Cort A4 Plus bass and a Yamaha Pacifica 311h. I picked the Cort because of the neck-through construction and the great hardware (Hipshot & Bartolini), build quality is decent enough. A Pacifica is probably the highest quality instrument you can get for the price and I'm still glad that I bought it as my first guitar. Seriously, Yamaha have their shit together.

I was originally going to buy an Ormsby GTX instead of a bass, but changed my mind because my Pacifica didn't feel like it needed to be replaced. I still want to buy that Ormsby in the future though.

Technically off-topic, but I have an Orange Crush 20 RT amp which is great for the money, but I regret buying a combo amp at all. All those YouTube guitar teachers convinced me that you need a 200 dollar combo amp to start playing which is bullshit. I just bought a 50 dollar headphone amp which sounds great and allows me to practice with headphones (the Orange has a headphone output too, but I don't want to drag around a big amp if I'm not gonna use it). The headphone amp only has a volume knob so no gain or distortion etc. but I don't mind. I can use it for both my bass and my guitar and it sounds great.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:40 pm 

Speaking of that I am looking for an amp with a headphone jack. I live in an apartment complex now and you have to keep the neighbors happy. I found a Strat w/ hardcase and a Peavey amp that has a headphone jack for $450. Located locally on Facebook. Guy never wrote me back, so the search continues.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:27 am 

BC Rich Warlock Revenge - pretty heavily modded, I replaced the pickups with DiMarzio Super Distortions (in white, with matching rings, to match the white body), the tuners with Schallers, and it's been rewired to just have a volume pot and a pickup switch. I keep it in standard tuning. This is my main guitar.

Fender Jazz Bass - standard Mexican Jazz, standard tuning, maple fretboard. Nice low action for some growl.

BC Rich Mockingbird Platinum - not modded yet, I want to do the same pickup/tuner upgrade as I did on my Warlock when I have the money. This one plays really nice, and it's a lot easier to transport than the Warlock. I put it into standard as a backup for live shows, but aside from that I'll stick some fat strings on it and mess about with lower tunings.

Pearl Forum drum kit - ancient and pretty low end, but I've got it sounding pretty decent. I've taken all the bottom hoops and heads off, so it's a more 80s sound, then with Remo Pinstripes and a couple of bits of Moongel on each tom it sounds nice and boxy. I mostly just run one rack tom. My snare is a Pearl Sensitone 14x6.5, and I've recently started using a Remo Control Sound head on that, which I'm really liking. My pedals are Tama Iron Cobras, and the rest of my hardware is mostly Pearl stands. My cymbals are mostly Paiste Alphas, I've got a Full Ride, some Metal Edge hats, and a 20" Metal Crash. I've never actually used those hats and that crash though, 'cause I have my old cracked cymbals on just now until I need to record - Sound Edge hats, and 18" Metal and Rock crashes. I'm trying to get a replacement 18" Metal Crash. I also have a PST7 china, which sounds great, but I don't use that for my current projects.

Touring kit - Pearl Session Pro (I think) kick, Vision rack tom, and an Export floor tom, which technically belong to a mate who used to be my live drummer, but he has multiple better kits and it lives at my practice space, so this is what comes on the road.

Dean Metalman V bass - this is not a great instrument, the body is essentially plywood, and the pickup is super clippy. But it's amazing fun to play live. I've not really touched this since getting my Jazz, but when I get round to recording downtuned stuff I'll be restringing this into lower tunings and using it again.

BC Rich KKV Warlock - Kerry King signature, with all the awful tribal shit - mercifully covered with stickers. This was my first guitar, and I don't really want to get rid of it, partly for nostalgia, and partly 'cause it's probably not worth much 'cause it's pretty battered. The neck actually plays surprisingly nicely though.

Microkorg - fun little synth that I've had for a while and still haven't properly explored. Once the next Venomwolf record is done I'm gonna focus on my dungeon synth again I think, so this'll see some action there.

And then there's all the virtual instruments and recording gear, not to mention all my amps, cabs, and pedals. But these are the instruments, at least.

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:05 pm 

last_eulogy wrote:
Speaking of that I am looking for an amp with a headphone jack. I live in an apartment complex now and you have to keep the neighbors happy. I found a Strat w/ hardcase and a Peavey amp that has a headphone jack for $450. Located locally on Facebook. Guy never wrote me back, so the search continues.

You should get a Neunaber Neuron Preamp pedal and the Neunaber Iconoclast speaker emulator, they both work really well together to get an authentic amp tone and its easy to run it through headphones.

mortlock666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:56 pm 

Late 80s kramer
Heavily modded early 90s fender jazz (my main bass)
Nate Mendel fender p bass

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 am 

Niklas Sanger wrote:
last_eulogy wrote:

You should get a Neunaber Neuron Preamp pedal and the Neunaber Iconoclast speaker emulator, they both work really well together to get an authentic amp tone and its easy to run it through headphones.
I will check into them. Thank you for the info.

pyratebastard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:15 pm 

I've got the following instruments at the moment...

Guitars:

Monson Scourge - Custom-built by Brent Monson, this is the 4th Scourge in existence. Single bridge trembucker (Seymour Duncan Black Winter) - no volume or tone knobs, just a killswitch. Full blast or fuck off, I say! Obviously, this thing is built for metal riffs, and not much else. Kept in D Standard.

Jackson King V - EMG 81/85 setup. Kept in D Standard.

Charvel D-ST1 - A fun star-shaped guitar, 81/85 setup as well. Kept in B Standard.

Wolf LP - A South Korean Les Paul copy, the guitar is surprisingly well built! Very comfortable to play. Currently kept in Standard.

Luna Folk Acoustic - Nice and simple, sounds good. Kept in Standard.

Basses:

Monson VKB - Custom-built by Brent Monson, the first (and thus far only) of its kind. This shape was a fusion of two of his other shapes, at my request. Giant instrument, does not fit normal bass cases.

BC Rich Warlock Revenge - Blood-spatter on white. Fun bass to dick around with.

I've never been a fan of the basic dot inlays that most guitar fretboards have, and not a single one of my instruments have them. The Monson's both have custom claw inlays, the Jackson has the sharkfins, etc.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:41 pm 

BC Rich Ironbird neon green plat
BC Rich Virgin neon green plat
BC Rich Mockingbird Red 82 NJ
BC Rich Mockingbird Red masterpiece series
BC Rich Mockingbird 7string sanded and stained walnut
BC Rich Warlock x 2 black and red bronze
BC Rich Bich Red masterpiece series
Dean V black
Dean XL x2 variations of tobacco sunburst.
Jackson V Rhodes black
Jackson Kelly x 2 both black
Jackson Dinky sanded face stained red
Ibanez I can't remember the model number black
Ibanez 8 string white
DeArmond 7 string red
Lincoln lawsuit LP 70's not sure what year. was white but yellowed by time
Washburn LPII baby blue
Epiphone LP black
Doraldo LP style weird grey speckle finish. 80's I think
Kramer aluminum neck natural wood finish
Kramer aluminum neck bass maroon
Fender Precision Bass blue
Dean XL bass black
Epiphone Thunderbird gothic bass black
Peavey 6 string grind bass wood finish
cheap learner violin
Tama Rockstar 8 piece kit
Tama Imperial 7 piece kit

I think that's everything. All are set up in different tunings. the Rockstar I used to use live. the Imperial I use for tracking exclusively.

got a ton of cabs and heads but ya didn't ask about that.

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:41 pm 

Yamaha Pacifica hambuckler coil. Works good with line 6 50W. I get good gain. Bought the guitar for around 250$

GEWApure ps503 relatively cheap guitar, and with the line 6 I've got I can't get a tone for metal, I would invesy money into pedals but I can do it on pro tools with digital plugins and I can get a 70's Deep Purple tone. Its very heavy rock but I get a lot of buzzing on the background from the overdrive pedal. Might analyse it on a post here.

Reply to topic