Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm 

Ok, so here are a couple links to an EP I wrote and recorded last year, both on Bandcamp and Youtube. It was all done pretty quickly, in about a week and a half to two weeks. It is pretty much straight-forward death metal, mainly influenced by Mortician (although I don't tune down to G or whatever tuning Roger uses on a given album) and Impetigo, etc. I think the mix could be better, but I am not inclined to mess with stuff I have already put out. Hopefully, somebody digs it. If not, that's fine, because I like it.

https://mocata9.bandcamp.com/releases

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:14 pm 

mocata9 wrote:
Ok, so here are a couple links to an EP I wrote and recorded last year, both on Bandcamp and Youtube. It was all done pretty quickly, in about a week and a half to two weeks. It is pretty much straight-forward death metal, mainly influenced by Mortician (although I don't tune down to G or whatever tuning Roger uses on a given album) and Impetigo, etc. I think the mix could be better, but I am not inclined to mess with stuff I have already put out. Hopefully, somebody digs it. If not, that's fine, because I like it.

https://mocata9.bandcamp.com/releases

I've given a listen.
Not very original, but for what it does, it's excellent. Everything sounds deadly and grim.
To me the mix isn't bad at all, but I hear very noticeable pumping and distortion from compression/limiting, probably applied to the whole mix? It's especially bad on the faster parts. Snare and drums don't have definition, probably because the compression has too fast an attack, too.
Youtube's streaming audio quality likely degrades it even further, though.
If anything, I'd consider a re-master, because otherwise it's a very nice old-school sound.

mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:43 pm 

Oh yeah, I am not reinventing the wheel with this one or anything. I honestly was just really bored when I wrote and recorded it. I wanted to record something, even if just demo versions of songs that I would re-record later and that is what I was originally doing with this. I am a big fan of Mortician, so that was just an easy way to go, although I think the difference in tunings sets this apart from what Mortician has done, as well as the lack of samples from movies. I just started writing songs and recording them immediately, one at a time. However, I just thought it sounded reasonably good enough to go out as is. I don't remember exactly what I did during the mixing, etc. but I do remember cranking up some stuff and getting this ridiculous pounding sound which I kind of dug and felt it fit the music, so I just went with it.

Thank you for checking it out.

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:56 pm 

Congratulations, lots of people, myself included, don't do things that are enjoyable to others when they are bored.
To be honest, I've tried listening to it on Bandcamp too and I think it sounds better. Did you perhaps upload mp3s or lower quality files on Youtube?
Anyway, it's good. Keep it up!

mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 pm 

The Youtube video was put together by my friend, who runs that channel. I don't know what he used for that. It might have been limited by what software he had to use, I really don't know. It's cool that somebody thinks it is at least enjoyable to listen to, other than me, of course. Honestly, it is very difficult being original these days, so I don't necessarily try to do that. I don't want to carbon copy a band, either, but if I can put out some decent songs that somebody has a good time listening to, that is a success in my eyes.

Since there is a link your signature, I am there right now, listening to your stuff. Just starting listening to it, though. I will post again once I have heard more.

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:12 pm 

Hey, be my guest.
It wasn't really a criticism when I said "not original", rather an assessment of fact. It's not like one always has to push the envelope.
I myself am a fan of some bands that at least started out as "clones" of others.

mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 pm 

I absolutely did not take it as a criticism when you said unoriginal, just to clarify. I think you were being honest, which I like. Also, once I looked at your name, I notice it was Italian, then I went to the link and verified you are based in Italy, which is really kind of funny, since I am really a big fan of your country, the food, and the language. All the songs on that EP are inspired by Italian films, too. Just for fun, since your English is waaaaay better than my Italian: Io studio Italiano, ma non parlo bene la lingua. Mi piace Italia. Io leggo fumetti orrore: Dylan Dog,I sanguinari, Il Vampire, Lo Scheletro, etc.

I hope that wasn't too painful to read. I actually wrote a song in Italian (about Dylan Dog), just to practice. It is for another band, one with my friend who runs that Youtube channel. Once we get the album recorded, we will try to get it onto the Archives.

I dig the mid-paced thing you got going on. You also seemed to go with a cleaner, almost thrash guitar tone, which makes everything nice and clear. Keep at it. First and foremost, with music or any creative endeavor, you should make something you enjoy. If others enjoy it as well, that is a bonus. Also, if it is something that gets you through a bad patch in life, then it is a really good thing. So far, I have only heard stuff off Residues, so I haven't heard anything else.

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:02 pm 

Man, I used to read Dylan Dog years ago, good stuff. I myself am a big fan of Argento's movies, whereas you seem to be into more straight-up horror, perhaps Lucio Fulci, Cannibal Holocaust etc.? That's what I gather from the songs, at least. Italy's popular culture used to be very good, nowadays, not so much, I'm afraid. The food's still good, at least!
Don't worry, foreigners usually have a hard time with Italian, it's not everywhere like English. Looking forward to hearing the song in Italian, a death metal song written in Italian by somebody who's not from Italy is quite unique a thing!
Yes, my stuff isn't really death metal, but I am a fan of it. I agree with what you say, that's pretty much my attitude too.

mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm 

The song in Italian is actually a bit more on the black metal side. I am also a big fan of Argento. His book (the English translation, of course) is one of the more recent books I have read. However, much of his stuff is more of the giallo thing, which isn't necessarily horror, but there is a lot of crossover. Also, Italy has some of the best composers: Ennio Morricone, Fabio Frizzi, Nico Fidenco, Riz Ortolani, Franco Micalizzi, Goblin, etc. Quite a remarkable place, Italy. As far as writing in Italian, it seemed a fun idea to practice my Italian, but also, so many people from other countries write in English, which they are not that comfortable with, so it only seemed fair that I make a similar attempt. At least once. The band the Italian song is for, Sordid God, will hopefully make it onto the Archives once we record the album. The song, by the way, is "Indagatore dell'incubo".

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:28 pm 

What can I say, I don't want to blow my own horn and surely not everything that comes from Italy is that good, but I love many things of my country's culture and it's great that it's appreciated around the world as well.
Looking forward to hearing it, can't imagine any reason why it shouldn't be on the Archives once it's out.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 am 

mocata9 wrote:
As far as writing in Italian, it seemed a fun idea to practice my Italian, but also, so many people from other countries write in English, which they are not that comfortable with, so it only seemed fair that I make a similar attempt.

That takes so much guts, IMO :) Kudos!

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:32 pm 

https://gallowshymn.bandcamp.com/track/the-assayer-single

My band just released a new single and it is only our second time working with operatic vocalists. What do you guys think overall? (production, writing, performances etc)

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:11 pm 

^The mix is much better this time :)) I also love how the song develops towards the end.

Hollowmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:04 am 

Hey everyone, recently i released a single "Praise the Sun" under the name Astora. Its Melodic Death Metal but also slightly influenced by Harakiri For The Sky. I would like some honest critical feedback on the song, and on the actual mix, since im getting closer and closer to finishing recording the whole 2nd LP album.

Here are the links:
Lyrics video:

Bandcamp:
https://astora-metal.bandcamp.com/

Hope you enjoy it, and leave feedback.
Thanks!

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ZoPWHIoLQ

Go easy on me, I recorded this under unusual circumstances. I did guitar and vocals here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9W6wXKNHu4

So this is something I did myself. Again, the circumstances were unusual so the production is shoddy and well, I'm not much of a drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... life+decay

There's a bit more death metal influence here.

I hope some of you like it. I admit, it's pretty rough around the edges.

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ExTExr1pE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnpVAaMWzFs

I forgot about these two. The live one turned out pretty nice considering the equipment we had. A couple of Schecter Omen guitars, a $99 Orange amp, some pile of rubbish electric kit, a peavey bass plugged into a horrid acoustic amp and an sm58. The song bad at life pretty much sums up what I'm going for. Bad at life - Bad at music.

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:01 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6R4dao1ckI

I played bass on this album. Used a 6 string Brice and a Peavey Vb-2 with a mesa 4x10..

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:13 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeaGK4T6aNI&t=240s

This was with me with local doom legends Hallow some years back.

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:28 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQCCMJ3tgs

Me with Omnihility again.

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:32 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoSucCQmUws

And some more Omnihility. I haven't seen this stuff for years. Kinda cool to go back over it.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:24 am 

Hey guys, I've started a melodic/atmospheric black metal project. I do all the instruments/mixing here, and would appreciate some feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/user-775300368/midsummer-night

Thanks!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm 

I think overally it's very well done just the overall mix is on the quite side. and before it totally breaks to the keys/synths the keys in that part are a little quite. but very good job overall. the toms are a little on the quite side for me. but i'm into that huge tom sound. it's not overall bad that's just a nitpick. song itself very good structurally and all.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:40 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still new to mixing, and it doesn't help that soundcloud for some reason decreases the loudness of the song upon upload. The track I linked sounds quite different (and better) in my DAW.

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:11 am 

This is a short display of what we are working on for our debut album which we are expecting to release some time in 2022.
https://tyrannus.bandcamp.com/album/it-taketh-demo

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it sounds so far but I'm happy to take any notes from anyone here who has ideas of what to improve as I work on the full release.

Hobodoctor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:21 pm 

I’d love some feedback on the demo version of the album I’m working on. I’m happy to hear whatever feedback you have, but stuff about the mixing and drum sounds especially aren’t going to be as relevant as I start work on the album with better equipment and software.

The biggest musical influences on the sound are Moonsorrow, Mgła, and Drudkh.

You can find the whole thing here: https://antimoney.bandcamp.com/releases

Or if you just want to check out one song, you can watch this video I edited together to go with one of the songs: https://youtu.be/s_wqY0Xrz3g

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:20 pm 

Looking for feedback for a song that I recorded. The song is kind of like a more technical sounding version of INRI album era of Sarcofago and the Ugra-Karma album era of Impaled Nazarene. These elements are then mixed with the complex songwriting of Effigy of the Forgotten era Suffocation (I was only inspired by their complex songwriting not their riffing style). I also drew lots of inspiration from Ten Commandments album era of Malevolent Creation , Morbid Angel’s Altars of Madness album, Deicide (self-title debut), Sodom (Persecution Mania), Kreator (Endless Pain) and Massacre (From Beyond, lead guitar whammy bar solo work only)

What kind of metal would would you call my song? I would say Blackened Death Metal

Here is the link to my song:

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-459054911/mahasammata

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:27 pm 

@Commisaur:
I know it's not what you asked, but as a general rule of thumb is a good idea to avoid mentioning/comparing too many artists when describing your sound.

Sounds like Black/Death to me indeed.
Did you add the drums after the guitars? I ask because your tracks are not locked in at all, and I've often seen it in such cases. In any case, try to work a bit more on that part I guess, good groove is paramount in this style.

My general comments:
-Intro riff feels like it lasts twice as long as it should
-The whole shtick with the drums playing half a bar of blasts and half a bar of silence gets old really fast, I'm annoyed by it halfway through the song
-The transition into the slow, rockier part is very jarring. The one out of it not as much, but it could use some work.
-The drum beat for that part is cool, tho, but have you tried a slow D-beat? I think it'd fit nicely
-That thing you do with the riff before the ending of taking it one step down at a time gets predictable and boring, this is the place to throw a curveball

Your riffs are amazing though, I'd love to hear this with a bass for the added oomph. Love the chaotic solo too.

Hobodoctor wrote:
Or if you just want to check out one song, you can watch this video I edited together to go with one of the songs: https://youtu.be/s_wqY0Xrz3g

Initial choir feels a bit flat, both in sound and pitch. For the latter, you may wanna take a look on melodyne. For the first, I suggest adding more tracks to get a fuller sound. Also, don't be afraid to use an octaver pedal, it can be fun!

Not much else to add really, the track is fantastic. I would love to hear a simple lead or counterpoint (perhaps with clean sounds, even an acoustic?) on that part that begins at 6:10. I actually picked my guitar and began jamming to it, it's super cool.

Love how you nailed the transition into that riff with the text on the video on 8:50, that came out amazing.

I would have preferred for the song to end on an epic note at 10:30 tho, the final wind-down is a bit of a let downer.

Hobodoctor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
@Commisaur:

Initial choir feels a bit flat, both in sound and pitch. For the latter, you may wanna take a look on melodyne. For the first, I suggest adding more tracks to get a fuller sound. Also, don't be afraid to use an octaver pedal, it can be fun!

Not much else to add really, the track is fantastic. I would love to hear a simple lead or counterpoint (perhaps with clean sounds, even an acoustic?) on that part that begins at 6:10. I actually picked my guitar and began jamming to it, it's super cool.

Love how you nailed the transition into that riff with the text on the video on 8:50, that came out amazing.

I would have preferred for the song to end on an epic note at 10:30 tho, the final wind-down is a bit of a let downer.

Hey, this really means a lot. I've been going a little crazy trying to get any sort of feedback from someone who's not a friend of mine.

re: the choir part. Totally. The current version is flat and I'm not happy with it. I'm re-recording everything and this is something I'm know I'm gonna try to get a cleaner version of. The pitch shifting idea is actually pretty good. Maybe I can find a couple friends with lower/higher voices to join in and make the choir feel a little fuller. If we can't get the pitch right, something like melodyne it'll probably have to be then I suppose. But yeah, that's great feedback.

re: lead/counterpoint/acoustic. Hmm... super interesting thought. The next track on the album has a lot of acoustic on it and some lead parts. My philosophy in writing the songs was to make it something that I could reproduce live with 2 guitars, 1 bass, and drums. Obviously including acoustic interludes in 2 of the 4 songs already complicates this. Plenty of bands I'm influenced by will have parts on the album that don't get reproduced live, so maybe it's something to play around with. I also feel like mixing better will have a strong effect specifically in the part you mentioned (I love that part, too) because as it is the two guitars and the bass are all playing different melodies. If I can maybe get those sounds to sit better together it might satisfy that itch you're feeling for counterpoint.

re: ending on a epic note. That's a really great piece of feedback. I think my approach for the moment is to get that ending of the song to sound as epic as the part before it instead of feeling like a wind-down. But I can't really get that working production-wise it might be worth considering ending the song sooner.

Thanks again for the notes. I've been working on these songs for a long time now, and have hard to start the whole production process all over like 3 times. Given all of that mixed in with doing it yourself, you just lose any perspective on whether it's any good or not. But this is definitely good advice on problems to address and great encouragement to keep grinding.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:57 pm 

No problem, glad to be of help!
I feel ya mate, we rewrote and rerecorded our LP three times as well.
I'm a bass singer, hmu if you need some vocals for the choir further down the line, you can send me a score or a midi and I'll send you a recording.

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:34 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
@Commisaur:
I know it's not what you asked, but as a general rule of thumb is a good idea to avoid mentioning/comparing too many artists when describing your sound.

Sounds like Black/Death to me indeed.
Did you add the drums after the guitars? I ask because your tracks are not locked in at all, and I've often seen it in such cases. In any case, try to work a bit more on that part I guess, good groove is paramount in this style.

My general comments:
-Intro riff feels like it lasts twice as long as it should
-The whole shtick with the drums playing half a bar of blasts and half a bar of silence gets old really fast, I'm annoyed by it halfway through the song
-The transition into the slow, rockier part is very jarring. The one out of it not as much, but it could use some work.
-The drum beat for that part is cool, tho, but have you tried a slow D-beat? I think it'd fit nicely
-That thing you do with the riff before the ending of taking it one step down at a time gets predictable and boring, this is the place to throw a curveball

Your riffs are amazing though, I'd love to hear this with a bass for the added oomph. Love the chaotic solo too.

Hobodoctor wrote:

Thanks for the in depth detailed feedback!

I'm really confused about one of your points though. What do you mean by this?:

"
Did you add the drums after the guitars? I ask because your tracks are not locked in at all, and I've often seen it in such cases. In any case, try to work a bit more on that part I guess, good groove is paramount in this style."

What do you mean by "adding the drums after the guitars"? And what do you mean by "your tracks are not locked at all"? Does my guitar playing sound out of time or is the drum tracks I wrote just don't sound congruent with the riffs?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:03 am 

I meant like: Did you record the guitars first and then added the drums on top?
And yeah, that's pretty much what I was going about by locking in. It's not that you're wildly out of time, but you're not super tight with the drums either; usually it's the bassist's job to work as the glue between drums and guitars, and since there isn't any, this becomes more evident.

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:06 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
I meant like: Did you record the guitars first and then added the drums on top?
And yeah, that's pretty much what I was going about by locking in. It's not that you're wildly out of time, but you're not super tight with the drums either; usually it's the bassist's job to work as the glue between drums and guitars, and since there isn't any, this becomes more evident.

What I do actually is that I add the drums first into my DAW ( I use Reaper) and then I record my guitars, BUT unfortunately I'm not capable of just playing along to a bass/drum track like a real musician so I actually play along to a MIDI guitar track that I've also imported into Reaper. I don't actually listen or play along to the drum track that I've written much at all aside from a few occasions here or there.

Speaking of MIDI tracks, I think you should really check out the MIDI version of the song you heard that I wrote that I exported out of the Guitar Tablature program I use to write music. This is the way the song is meant to be heard as the drums are fully audible and therefore I think you might be able to give me a more accurate assessment of my drum beats:
https://www.reverbnation.com/bledamanit ... rtistMusic

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:48 am 

Are you using GuitarPro by chance? It's a well-known bug that when you export mp3 (if that's what you're doing) the tempo actually gets fucked up ever so slightly and doesn't stay even throughout the track. So, if you were to place a generated mp3 track over a MIDI drum and use that as a guide for recording, you'll inevitably drift off, even if you're following the guitar track to a T.

I know it's hard to play to a drum track, but there's a reason it's considered the ideal method. The sharp and concise attack on each note makes it easy to lock with the tempo and keep a good groove. It's easy to get frustrated if you try to learn it playing hard stuff like this, but if you begin playing basic scales to a metronome and recording easy stuff (the most basic heavy metal/rock riffs you can think of) to a drum track, you'll get there much faster and painlessly.

It does sound better now that I get a better picture of what the drums are playing, but I'm still not a fan of those start-stop blastbeats.

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
Are you using GuitarPro by chance? It's a well-known bug that when you export mp3 (if that's what you're doing) the tempo actually gets fucked up ever so slightly and doesn't stay even throughout the track. So, if you were to place a generated mp3 track over a MIDI drum and use that as a guide for recording, you'll inevitably drift off, even if you're following the guitar track to a T.

I know it's hard to play to a drum track, but there's a reason it's considered the ideal method. The sharp and concise attack on each note makes it easy to lock with the tempo and keep a good groove. It's easy to get frustrated if you try to learn it playing hard stuff like this, but if you begin playing basic scales to a metronome and recording easy stuff (the most basic heavy metal/rock riffs you can think of) to a drum track, you'll get there much faster and painlessly.

It does sound better now that I get a better picture of what the drums are playing, but I'm still not a fan of those start-stop blastbeats.

Yes, I use GuitarPro. I actually export the isolated guitar tracks from my GuitarPro file as an MIDI file. And then I put that MIDI file into a Reaper track and add the "sawtooth synth guitar" FX.

I likewise export the isolated drum track from the GuitarPro file as an MIDI track and then I put that track into Reaper. I then add the KVLT drums plugin that I use to that track.

mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:51 am 

I recently recorded and released another EP. I am interested to hear what others think. I do hear flaws with this recording, but overall, I am happy with it. Hope you enjoy it.

https://mocata9.bandcamp.com/album/scapegoat

deathprog23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:27 pm 

Long-term amateurs here, who decided to try learning how to record our tunes over the last lockdowns. Would love feedback to help us improve on the result, and to hear any reactions to the songs.
Our latest effort is a mix of styles in a 25-minute EP, that explores the theme of identity through a story about the space-pirate Blastbeard:
https://d23thprog.bandcamp.com/album/blastbeard
Thanks for listening!

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:42 am 

Hey everyone,

I've posted here before, but since then my group's made some progress in our musical journey. More specifically, my band released an EP a couple days back, which I was hoping you'd give a listen and some feedback to. The work is a mix of folk-tinged melodeath and atmospheric black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSIez6mE6g

Timestamps are in the description. Thanks!

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:11 am 

mocata9 wrote:
I recently recorded and released another EP. I am interested to hear what others think. I do hear flaws with this recording, but overall, I am happy with it. Hope you enjoy it.

I've only seen this now, but I'm glad you're keeping at it. The previous EP was very good and this, in my opinion, is even better. Sounds like it was lots of fun to make, and it is to listen to it. I don't hear any technical flaws at all. It's short and to the point but that fits what you're doing there. The only thing I miss a little is the bass, because it sounds very nice and distorted to hell, so I would have brought it a little more upfront, but it's really a minor thing and subjective. Otherwise, you're certainly not aiming at pleasing the crowds, but for what it is, it works very well. Truth be told, I'm not that versed in this kind of rotten/gory metal, just thought I'd comment a little since I did the last time too and I was passing by.
"Andiamo all'inferno", very nice touch. Old school horror vibe and all.

mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:04 pm 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
mocata9 wrote:

I've only seen this now, but I'm glad you're keeping at it. The previous EP was very good and this, in my opinion, is even better. Sounds like it was lots of fun to make, and it is to listen to it. I don't hear any technical flaws at all. It's short and to the point but that fits what you're doing there. The only thing I miss a little is the bass, because it sounds very nice and distorted to hell, so I would have brought it a little more upfront, but it's really a minor thing and subjective. Otherwise, you're certainly not aiming at pleasing the crowds, but for what it is, it works very well. Truth be told, I'm not that versed in this kind of rotten/gory metal, just thought I'd comment a little since I did the last time too and I was passing by.
"Andiamo all'inferno", very nice touch. Old school horror vibe and all.

Hey, thanks for checking it out! I was thinking of Blasphemy and Profanatica for some of this, so I think some of that came into the songs. I used the same sound for the bass, but I don't think I did as good of a job mixing it in this time around. I am currently working on another one, which will probably be an EP as well (I feel like this works best with shorter releases) and I am trying to keep the bass more present in the mix as I dig that noisy bass, which I managed to get to something in between Cronos from Venom and Will Rahmer from Mortician, two bands I really love. I am still working on the other project I mentioned before which has a song fully in Italian (probably a bit wonky Italian, but at least I tried). That one involves a friend of mine and I spend more getting that stuff done, trying to make it really good and, hopefully, a bit different than other stuff.

By the way, I am glad you caught the Italian line in "Black Death" as I didn't include it in the lyrics. I just did it as a nod to my love for Italy and the language.

Thanks for your comments again and there should be another one sometime soon, along with the other project (unfortunately, that one will take a bit longer).

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:33 pm 

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this new single I released for my solo black metal project. I genuinely thought it was my best work so far (I still love it) but I sent it to Black Metal Promotion on YouTube and he didn't want to upload it. :(

So now I am wondering if there is just something glaringly terrible about it because some of the stuff he uploads is pretty awful; I thought I did better than some of it anyways... I know I am not very good at vocals but I did much better than my first full-length I think. The production is somewhat lo-fi but I have it pretty much exactly how I like it. For fans of atmospheric and depressive black metal--I guess it is somewhere between Burzum and Elderwind, plus a couple bass solos.

I am proud of it regardless but I want to know if there is anything that really needs work. Thanks!

https://ktaadn.bandcamp.com/track/dreams

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next