Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:08 pm 

Across the few projects I've worked on I've occasionally gotten emails from PR companies to do paid promotion for the band. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience working with these organizations? Did it help get your band noticed? Was it worth the money or did feel like you were just throwing money into the wind? Any firms that are particularly good or bad?

Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:45 pm 

If you don't have any media contacts and don't want to send out a million emails to music critics begging them to listen and potentially review your music then it can be a good idea. I would seek one out with a cast of bands of some success though instead of the ones that have probably approached you in emails, those seem to charge more for lower quality to me. I also don't know that it's a good idea for a brand new band, maybe see to some common self-promotion methods first and then go for a PR campaign when you've got a little attention and a solid base of music.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:01 pm 

I used to write for a few blogs and PR companies were how I discovered 90% of the music I reviewed. If you're serious about getting your name out there, it's worth it. There are dozens of them ranging in quality and price, but Earsplit is generally considered one of the best: https://www.earsplitcompound.com/contact/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:30 pm 

I've never used one. Some of the labels that picked up my material has used them. I don't think i've seen any active PR that moved into my eyes to see anything. So i guess it's a crap shoot honestly. Depends how much you want to invest moneywise and how good you feel about your music. I never bothered, and I still got picked up without soliciting anyone.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:16 am 

anyone can pose as a "PR company" these days... as soon as you put anything up on bandcamp, you're flooded with "offers" from "PR companies" :/ most of them are crap, they just spam facebook pages and instagram with your releases, quite often for a hefty fee. some have (dubious) connections to magazines or online fanzines / youtube channels, and they can help you feature there. proper, professional PR companies will cost you a lot, and they might actually take you places, but most of those bozos aren't worth the money they are asking...

DrudgeDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:37 pm 

A good PR company can get your material on the radar of a lot of people super fast by getting releases out to the "members only" feeds that only larger magazines, promoters, and production companies have access to. They can help you craft your message to get good amounts of exposure, but I still maintain that nothing can beat good music, killer live shows, and word of mouth. Using a PR company should be one of the icing on the cake strategies unless your band is comprised of previously well established and well known artists otherwise you risk coming off like a band of clout chasers. Chances are, if you have good shit, people will spread it on reddit, facebook, here, instagram, etc. They can definitely help get additional buzz going for a bigger release, but getting a demo together that all the heshers will enjoy is top priority in my book.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:34 pm 

Use Earslit, Clawhammer, Sure Shot, or another reputable one if you're going to do it. Definitely worth the money for an album but not for a demo or EP. Only do it as a planned thing- doesn't make sense to release it and THEN hire PR.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Reply to topic