Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:20 pm 

I’ve been using my Korg tuner all my life and was shocked to hear this. His explanation of why the Korg was a toy did not make any sense.

Side question: are there any tuning apps out there that are free or where you only have to pay a one time fee? Because all that I can seem to find are outrageously priced apps that charge you by the week! Just for a tuner!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:43 pm 

Spoiler: show
Good god, dude. Can you please FOR ONCE come up with a thread idea that doesn't sound stupid as hell and isn't hyper-specific? 90% of the stuff you start whole threads for could easily be put in the "random metal questions" thread or the free-for-all thread in The Tavern. It's a waste of space and isn't bound to create much conversation.

I assume you had one of those clip-on tuners. Those are fine. They do their job. A tuning app wouldn't be much better, if any better at all.

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:20 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Good god, dude. Can you please FOR ONCE come up with a thread idea that doesn't sound stupid as hell and isn't hyper-specific? 90% of the stuff you start whole threads for could easily be put in the "random metal questions" thread or the free-for-all thread in The Tavern. It's a waste of space and isn't bound to create much conversation.

I assume you had one of those clip-on tuners. Those are fine. They do their job. A tuning app wouldn't be much better, if any better at all.

You are incredibly rude and are also stating an opinion (are you a mod? What forum rules am I breaking? If anything you are the one breaking forum rules by continuously mocking and harassing my threads! I don’t go around trying to shout down your posts/threads) . And it’s also really weird despite how much you hate my threads that you continually reply to them. “Couldn’t you just as well” (using one of your phrases here) ignore my threads? I also hate those messy free-for-all mega thread type things…one’s posts just get lost in the shuffle with few if any responses. My OP is also a very musician relevant question too. Therefore it belongs in the musician section of this message board. I find it absolutely fascinating why my guitar tutor would say that. And really would like to know why he would say that. The people on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable about metal and musicianship so I will in all likelihood gain some VERY valuable information. In fact for every single one of my “stupid” threads I have learned really valuable and interesting information from all the responses. That is my opinion. You think it’s just all “stupid”. That’s your opinion. If you have time to respond to nearly every single one of my threads and harass and mock me in each of them maybe you also have time and energy to show me what is an example of a “good” thread. I’m very interested in learning about this.

To clarify my OP, I use the type of Korg tuner that you plug your guitar directly into. It’s not a clip on tuner

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:11 pm 

Your teacher’s statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Tuners aren’t very complex mechanisms, there isn’t really that much room for one to be better than another to be pretending some are toys and others premium stuff. A line-in straight from your guitar’s jack is clearly gonna produce a much cleaner signal than whatever a cellphone’s crappy mike may pick, no idea what he’s going about with that.

If you’re on Android, get Noteworthy Tuner, it’s free and has no ads. In iOS there’s a free tuner by BOSS iirc.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:39 am 

Yeah I agree with what has already been said, a plug-in tuner is definitely gonna be more precise than any mobile app. If he's referring to the brand being shitty or something, like coupdebelus said a tuner isn't super complex so it doesn't need to be super expensive.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:53 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
If you’re on Android, get Noteworthy Tuner, it’s free and has no ads. In iOS there’s a free tuner by BOSS iirc.

The BOSS chromatic tuner is also available on android, I use it for my nylon-string guitar.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:47 am 

just ignore him lol
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

widow_mine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:26 pm 

Spicey take of your teacher. Feels like a troll move, suggesting an app.

Now, if they pulled out a set of tuning forks, that would be a different story...

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:16 pm 

Does this guitar teacher play in a “praise and worship” band? It’s a genre, played in Protestant churches, which mixes Christian shoegaze, with Christian butt rock. I call it “buttgaze.”

If he does, then he might be one of those gear elitists that you see, making YouTube videos and Reddit posts, who only buy approved Christian conservative equipment brands, like JHS pedals, or $500 Strymon reverb pedals(not aware if they’re Christian conservatives, but praise and worship players need at least $2000 USD of effects, to make reverb/delay swells, that will properly praise the lord). Your Korg tuner pedal is perfectly fine.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:20 am 

Teach your lame-ass tutor the correct way to tune a guitar with a phone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zsJrHW3tlE

GearAficionado
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:09 pm 

Did your teacher give you any reasons why he doesn't like your tuner?

I think just any plug-in tuner will work just fine for home use.

I wouldn't dismiss any as "toys" unless we are talking about a stadium gig or something.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:23 pm 

Stadium gigs, theaters, clubs, whatever, pretty much every band uses some tuner pedal. You put it upstream of all gain and effects. They work well. Anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:29 pm 

If anything, apps are far worse than what you have. Clip on tuners are the best in my experience.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:39 pm 

i've always used a boss chromatic tuner, ask your teacher why he is a cheapo?

Reply to topic