Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:09 pm 

I currently have a VT 40+ Vox amp and want to upgrade.

Most importantly of all I want the best possible amp for recording music using the recording method where you place a mic in front of the amp speaker.

Secondly I also want the amp to be gig worthy. Like loud enough and good enough to play shows.

I am totally ignorant on where I should even start in my search and don't know of any of the amp terminology.

Am I looking at having to get one of those huge amps that is 3 feet tall with a "control panel" attached to the top (not part of the amp, a separate device) that has a bunch of knobs and dials? If yes, how do musicians even lug these things around, especially if they don't have a pickup truck or van?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:42 pm 

start with how much money you plan on spending otherwise this is a fruitless endless endevor.

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:44 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
start with how much money you plan on spending otherwise this is a fruitless endless endevor.

Well how much should expect to pay for a good amp?

I mean in a perfect world I'd pay $100, but I know that won't get me much. Will $1,000 get me a top of the line amp?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:46 pm 

still depends on your budget there are good amps for $1,000 and some under but it's all going to be used.

brand new stuff can cost you up to 3-4k and that's just the head. Not including the cab. Those are separate elements.
if you go with a combo, those still can cost you up around 1k or more. I'm not the most knowledged of those that are out there brand new. You can probably find something good used though under the combo.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:57 pm 

Anything with tubes in it is gonna be a whole lot more expensive, like a grand or more, so you'd probably want to go for something solid state if you're on a budget. Peavey had a few solid state models like the Valve King and the Transtube that usually go for pretty cheap and sound fine, despite what the Internet guitar community will tell you.

For the cabinet, I would recommend a Harley Benton "Vintage Vertical" 2x12. For about $350, you get a cabinet with two Celestion Vintage 30s in it that has no right to sound as good as it does for the money. The speakers are easily upgradable too.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:27 pm 

My first suggestion would be to go to a few music stores and play what they have.

I think your last paragraph is describing a rack unit, where a guitarist will put together rack mounted hardware in the way they wish to more or less customize their sound. I did this once. It was fun to put the package together, with a tube preamp unit, a nice rack-mounted effects unit, and a power amp. A couple other pieces too, like a power conditioner and such. That's pretty complex though. You'll find yourself designing it from the ground up. Expect to put in a lot of time finding out the gear you want.

It sounds like you will be happier playing around with some different amps and finding one you like, then making the purchase. Some guys swear by the 100W (or above) tube heads and a 4x4 cab for playing gigs. I have one of those, and a 60W head too. Nothing wrong with that but it is indeed expensive, especially with tube models. I'd be very, very sure something like that is what sounds and feels good for YOU - not some musician endorsement - before dropping that kind of cash. Like others have said, we're talking about a couple grand for the head then maybe what? Another grand for the cab unit? That's quite an investment only to find that you are disappointed.

From what I'm hearing, I think you'll have better luck targeting a 2x12 cab combo unit, one that you've played at a music store or two, and don't be afraid to buy used. There's nothing at all wrong with that. The Marshall amp forums are full of guys looking for used vintage stuff.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:01 pm 

This is a really detailed video about budget-friendly amps, with an emphasis on technical performance and reliability.

Mango_Sauce
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:41 pm 

If you are "totally ignorant" on the topic of amps then I'm pretty sure you will have a better time recording an album with a virtual amp vst than trying to mic up a tube half stack. Also I have a 50 watt Vox modelling amp and that fucker is loud. It kept up with a drummer with the power knob on like 30% so yours is probably loud enough to gig. I would not record the metal sounds from it but I would play live with it.

aheadofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:14 pm 

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 Watt or something similar (blackstar) with at least 4 12ax7 preamp tubes.

Here's why:

- You can get them for 500 bucks used (50 watt version probably even cheaper).
- They can do just about every style of metal very convincingly.
- They take pedals very well.
- Build quality is quite good for the price tag and your maintenance costs will hopefully stay low.

The bigger question you might want to ask yourself is: what cabinet and speaker selection and microphone should I get? If this is your first time recording with a microphone, a quality cabinet good speaker and microphone will take you much further than a quality amplifier IMHO.

You would be amazed at the difference moving a microphone 1 cm, will have on your tone compared to changing an amp head or a drive pedal etc.

aheadofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:17 pm 

One other humble piece of advice, not to dismiss any comments from others, but I have never had much luck with amp sims, Impulse Responses, VSTs for recording guitar. I know some people love them and get great sounds, but I have always preferred using microphones and amps. (also it is just more fun and you spend more time playing and less time playing with your computer).

Just my thought...

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:02 am 

Marshall 15W
Rejoin my soul with thine

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:56 pm 

That's very non-specific.

electric27
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:16 pm 

aheadofmetal wrote:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 Watt or something similar (blackstar) with at least 4 12ax7 preamp tubes.

Here's why:

- You can get them for 500 bucks used (50 watt version probably even cheaper).
- They can do just about every style of metal very convincingly.
- They take pedals very well.
- Build quality is quite good for the price tag and your maintenance costs will hopefully stay low.

The bigger question you might want to ask yourself is: what cabinet and speaker selection and microphone should I get? If this is your first time recording with a microphone, a quality cabinet good speaker and microphone will take you much further than a quality amplifier IMHO.

You would be amazed at the difference moving a microphone 1 cm, will have on your tone compared to changing an amp head or a drive pedal etc.

Solid advice all around, but I would strongly recommend against getting a 100W tube amp unless you're playing arenas and massive outdoor festivals, which you aren't. 50W should be more than enough for any gig you'll be playing. I have a Marshall JVM 205H (amazing amp) and a Randall 2x12 and played a college basketball arena and my master volume was still only at about 7 or 8. For recording, I have an attenuator between the head and cab that's good for -20db and it's still uncomfortably loud when properly driving the tubes. Really, if you're going the tube amp route, I'd look for something in the 25W-40W range. I know there are solid options out there, but I've been out of the amp market since I got the aforementioned Marshall ten years ago so I don't know what they are. Tubes sound best with the volume at about 80% of peak power, so less is more.

III

Silkof
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:43 am 

I've been struggling with this a lot until I bought the kemper. It is great and massive. It is also great for live purposes. You can get great tones from it, it is super portable and doesn't need much tweaking. It is not cheap but if you really want massive guitar sounds without much effort and portability it is great. Otherwise you need at least a great amp+ a good cab or a cab loader or a load box + at least an overdrive pedal. You'll end up paying the price of kemper without having mobility. Plus in order to record with a cab you'll need mics, a very isolated/ insulated place in order to have good volumes and much trial and error.

This is all kemper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFPyKbJ4Yok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ROoH-0IB5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNJM-aX8T8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtI3sgdjFHc

Reply to topic