Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 am 

Hi all!

I'm looking for a solution to make little demos of songs to send to other band members. Right now we are using Guitar Pro, which makes everything a long process and it sounds like ass.

I'd like to have a little multitrack recorder on wich i could record rhythm + lead, harmonies and such. The catch is that i want this process to be DAWless as right now i'm using my pc for other IT related stuff

i've put my eyes on products like Boss BR-800, Boss BR-80, tascam dp-006... they are pretty old but seem to do what i'm looking for. Anybody here is familiar with those or has better suggestions?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:50 am 

I worked on a 4-track in my formative years and loved it and it gave me a grasp of audio design you can't get from a million youtube videos, but it's a little daft, if you pardon my language, to use one now, when you can have unlimited tracks and editing tools on a DAW... you can have a light one, like audacity, that won't meddle with your "other IT related stuff" much... you can even have it on an old laptop.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:55 am 

Yeah, if you can run Guitar Pro you can run a DAW. You can probably find a decent used input device for $50-$100 and it will be an infinitely better investment than a recorder. There is no reason to pretend like you're living in 1999. For reference, I run Reaper on my six year old work laptop with zero issues.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:26 pm 

Of course the problem isn't the pc, it's me not wanting to use a pc :lol: i've started using it as a lab to experiment with Virtualbox, and i want to keep it as clean as possible

I'm searching only for a very simple "press play and record" device that can handle few tracks with good sound quality

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:02 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Of course the problem isn't the pc, it's me not wanting to use a pc :lol: i've started using it as a lab to experiment with Virtualbox, and i want to keep it as clean as possible

I'm searching only for a very simple "press play and record" device that can handle few tracks with good sound quality

Isn't that a virtual machine? Can't you run it on a dedicated partition and have your OS with your programs on a different one?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:31 pm 

Why don't you just record everything in Audacity? It's a free program that's not a DAW that you can easily use to lay down multitrack demos. There's even an option to generate a click track.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:04 am 

You could get a cheap second hand laptop for like 1 or 200 bucks, then put audacity or reaper on there and any number of free amp sims, drum programmers or whatever.

I may be wrong, but even if you get one of those stand alone recorders, you are gonna have to use a computer to work with the files anyway right?

Reply to topic