Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Guitarist3000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:24 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea you must play at far fancier venues than I normally frequent.

They are kind of needlessly fancy at times which can cause some problems with the sound guy / promoter running behind then trying to rush the bands to setup, hell sometimes they don't even give us a sound check! (No joke, it was as bad as you could imagine.) But I see, yeah sounds like you are really experienced in setting up & tearing down but I will do a few of those things & see if I can't get a better result, thanks for the discussion man, I feel like I have gained some good information here.

ironman1024k wrote:
JJ Labs Amp w/ 412 cab (Celestion GT12T-75). It is a Marshall VS100 clone.

Nice rig man! Can't beat simple setups, I haven't heard of JJ Labs amplifiers before I will have to check them out.

ironman1024k
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:47 am 

JJ Labs is a Swedish company designed by Tommy Folkesson who is very famous for modding tube amps. It takes pedals extremely well because the clean channel is really loud. A friend of mine has a 6505 and a Kemper, he has a home studio where I will record a two song demo this autumn. My dream rig is a 5150 w/ 212 (one Greenback and one V30). But I do not play live at the moment so I will probably wait before I get any gear.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:51 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea you must play at far fancier venues than I normally frequent. Plus I do a lot of DIY shows/house shows and such.

And yea I've been playing live for 15 years. So it's a skillful art and knowing how to prep what you can offstage. So usually hitting the stage with two or three guitars already tuned and ready to go. having all my cables pre sorted so when I grab my speaker cables that's all I grab and can easily unroll and plug up turning on any tube heads I brought so they can warm up. I have a 5 way signal splitter so all just plug directly into it and it's controlled like a regular foot switch so I can turn everything on and have them on mute. getting off stage is just as quick. turn off everything, unplug everything. haul off every head, haul off every cab, and then take my pile of cables and footswitch off. it's well rehearsed. I had to do the same when I was playing drums mainly in bands live. I'd use a 11piece kit, I'd have everything assembled pre-time slot. can load it all up like a puzzel and help set up the bassist's gear. break down was basically move all the cymbals/stands to the side, pick up all the toms and kicks at once, get the floor toms, and then all the cymbals. Then I'd go haul everyone else's shit off stage cause they were all slow too.

I'll link up one of my rigs some time tonight. I change up heads all the time. right now I've been using dual 5150's and usually some random solid state.

It really sucks, doesn't it? I've been trying to get as much out of my rig while still being able to set up and tear down with 5 minutes or so. There's always a rush to get on and off the stage, even when there isn't for me. My pedalboard was actually a great idea, because I have my wireless, tuner, and wah pedal set up all in one go, while also getting a noise gate out of it too. Before, I would have a tuner pedal on top of my amp I would plug into, because running my wireless into my tuner and back into the amp took too much time. We've gotten several compliments on being very professional when we set up and tear down due to how fast we move. Even with our (now-former) drummer's massive kit.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:24 pm 

Hell, I did a lot of the devlopment of working fast because I wanted to do all I could to make the show go quickly and the audience interested. Plus I can get home earlier. My biggest complaint with shows, mainly around here. They always start at least 60-90 mins later than the time that the show is to start. I fucking hate that. I don't like hanging around venues or bars I only do when I'll at a show. With other bands. I fucking hate when they finish their set and then they want to walk off the stage and I guess get some props from their friends... it's like no... you take your shit off the stage and then you do that shit. or have them haul your shit off. I also hate when a drummer wants to sit there and take all his cymbals off his kit, basically wanting to break down his kit while on stage. no one wants to see that. get the fuck off go to a back corner and do it.

A sound check is a rarity and that's mainly been in the last 5 years before that... never.

But glad you took something away from my rambling and ranting, guitarist.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:27 pm 

RichardDeBenthall wrote:
Can I ask how you find your Marshall DSL100H? I've literally just ordered one with a 1960B 412 cab and can't wait to try it!

For the most part, I've very much enjoyed using this amp. It sounds good for practically any type of rock or metal application when running straight into the amp; it's got a decent enough clean sound, it's not too brittle or muddy, and the EQ is responsive enough to dial in a sound that cuts at most frequencies. I use the clean channel when running FX in front of the amp, and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. The FX loop works well, though at times I get a little bit of signal noise (which is easily cleaned up with my EQ pedal). The only thing I would change about it is making it have switchable impedance instead of having the dedicated outputs, but that's only because I use four different cab setups depending on what I'm playing. For the money, it's a very solid amplifier. I'm about to try out some Tung Sol preamp tubes, I'll let you know how those turn out too.

caspian wrote:
Finally, dragunov- how does the 2x15 treat you? I kinda like the idea of getting that instead of a 2x12, particularly for my seven string needs.

I absolutely love my 2x15 (kudos to SLK for making such a fucking solid, great sounding cab!). It's got a big, open sound to it, and due to the speakers I'm using in it, it has a nice, warm, boomy low frequency response. I add treble on my amp and use overdrives in front of the amp to get more mid-range crunch that the cab seems to push very well, even when using my bass. Of course it's not as tight sounding as something smaller with 12" speakers, but if you need something to keep low-tuned sounds clear, or something to "open up" your sound, I'd recommend even just adding one 15" speaker enclosed in a nice cab to your setup.

btw, that Ormsby is gorgeous!

hawk6111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:07 am 

Damn. Nice gear guys. I've got my rig to the simpilton rig. Nothing fancy just as simple as possible. I play rythem and lead in a thrash metal band

Guitars
Ibanez vtb700 flying v tuned to d standard equipped with emg 81s and .10-52 strings
BC rich jrvo deluxe with original Floyd and eggs tuned to e flat same strings
Amp rig.
Peavey jsx
Peavey jsx 5150 cab
Sometimes I run a holy grail reverb for lead but mostly straight in

I love how simple my rig is. I can get all my the gain in the world,from the red channel but I only run my gain at around noon with the bass at about 3 the midst at noon and the treble at a alttle less than max live.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:54 am 

Reviving this thread because rig rundowns have gotten bigger over the last few years on social media, and I couldn't find another thread to post my shit up in. So here's my rig/collection, and hopefully some more dudes on here list their ones.

Guitars:
-1977 Ibanez Les Paul Custom with Super 70s
-2004 Gibson SG Standard with a Super 58 on the bridge and an aftermarket Lyre tremolo tailpiece and arm
-2006 Epiphone Explorer Korina
Amp:
-Marshall JCM800 2203 (100W) repro head (not sure of the year) with the bright cap clipped on the pre-amp
-Marshall 1960A 300W 4x12 cabinet
Pedalboard:
-1981 Boss OD-1 (Converted from 12v ACA to 9V DC)
-1986 Boss BF-2 (Converted from 12v ACA to 9V DC)
-Boss DM-2W
-Boss DS-1
-Boss TU-3
-MXR Micro Amp
-MXR 10-Band EQ
-MXR DC Brick
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:14 pm 

My rig has varied a lot depending upon what project I've been working with (and mostly non-metal rock groups), but my favorite rendition looked something like:

Guitars - PRS DGT, Reverend Spacehawk, Ernie Ball/Musicman Silhouette HSS, others

Head - Mesa Mark V

Cab - Mesa 2x12 vertical slant rectifier

Pedals - constantly switching out, and often not all at once, but...

pre-loop: Stone Deaf Fig Fumb fuzz, Dunlop JC95 Jerry Cantrell wah, Keely 4-knob compressor, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, Moog Minifooger flanger, Way Huge Effects Blue Hippo chorus, MXR Phase 90 Script phaser, T.C. Electronics Flashback delay, Maxon OD-808 overdrive, Xotic Effects BB Pre-Amp Mid-Boost overdrive

post-loop: Dunlop DVP-1 volume, Moog Minifooger tremolo, Empress Tape Delay, Neo Instruments Ventilator II rotary, Eventide Space reverb

I'm usually going for tonal versatility and the ability to be a chameleon, but injecting some harder rock when it seems appropriate. I can easily get sounds suitable for over a dozen different genres just by swapping a couple things in or out, maybe selecting a different guitar, changing my playing technique and such. Funny, I listen to a truckload of metal, but I haven't actually played much of it live. Maybe I should change that at some point. I was a much weaker player in my 20s and it was easier to try and be creative than fake virtuosity. If I was going for maximum metal I'd probably bring out my Ibanez Universe and Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-strings, EVH 5153 head, and the old Japanese Boss HM-2.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
DrudgeDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:30 pm 

Rig:
Guitars - Jackson DKMG (Drop D), Kramer Voyager FR222S 2000 (B std), Aria Pro II XR SSH routed for floyd rose (B std or C std)
Pedalboard - Boss NS-2 -> donner tuner -> Ibanez TS-9 -> Boss Terra Echo -> Boss PH-3
Amp - Kartakou Colossus Preamp -> Fender 2150 power amp, or Egnater Renegade 65W head
Cabinets - Vader 4x12 or Vader 4x12 in parallel with Orange PPC212 rewired for 8 Ohms

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:54 pm 

Daemoness and ESP guitars into a powered Kemper and a Mesa 2x12 cab, controlled with Kemper remote.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:36 pm 

very cool to see my post from a few years ago! funny how much my rig has changed in just a few years. i have a lot of stuff, but what i use live is:

ESP guitars (E-II V-II and LTD Snakebyte primarily)
Powered Kemper running profiles of my modded JCM800, Engl Savage 120, and Mesa JP2C
Marshall 1960AV and Marshall 1960B

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:12 am 

I really like the Marshall 1960AV cab. It has a treble response unlike other V30 cabs I've played, and it works really great for bright, tight tones.

It does have a weak, woofy bass response though, but the treble response is unlike anything else. Different tools, and all that. I'd definitely pick one over a Mesa cab for my purposes.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 am 

Woofy bass response is definitely the right term to use there, it’s a sound that I absolutely love and can’t be achieved by a straight cab (assuming it’s only the one fan being used, not a stack)
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

~Guest 153662
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:23 pm 

Guitars:

Epiphone Baritone 6 string
Jackson Dinky
(Off Brand) Gibson SG
Yamaha Squire

Bass:

Ibanez Prestige SDGR

Amps:

Peavey 6505+
Orange Crush 35RT
Marshall G50R-CD
Peavey 212 Bass

Pedals:

Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz -> Boss OC3 Octave -> Behringer TO800 Tube Screamer -> EHX Metal Muff -> EHX Oceans 12
Digitech RP80 (on occasion for splitting signal)

My playstyle can vary from Thrash/Death to Doom/Rock/Metal so these give me a good range of tones and sounds to work with.
All of these obviously took years to get to this point.

Prior, I would have a dozen second hand B.C Rich guitars and through a Fender Mustang back in the day; but now I just look forward to any strange pedals or guitars for an eclectic collection.
Typically my pedalboard will go through the Orange/Marshall together for their ease, and a straight signal to the Peavey 6505+ since I just love it as is.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:38 am 

Currently playing:

Laney Ironheart 120w top
Peavy Windsor 412 cab
Sometimes a Rat or Boss DS-1 pedal

...My tone sucks

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:06 am 

What kind of Rat is it? 80s diehards swear by that pedal

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Lydster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:54 pm 

Schecter KM-II > Victory Super Kraken > 1x12 cab with a Weber Black Schuck Speaker (swapped out the original vintage 30 and it sounds so much better).

Here's a demo I made showcasing the speaker (if you want a sludgy or bass-heavy sound look into Weber's Tone Kvlt series):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSnJI4fKRn0

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:50 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
What kind of Rat is it? 80s diehards swear by that pedal

Mine is a newer model I think, probably the Rat 2.
To be honest my shitty tone probably stems from me not spending enough time twisting knobs to get the right tone. Also my guitar is total ass, and the pickups certainly aren't helping with the shitty tone.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:12 am 

Mine is relatively straight forward-
3 guitars:
ESP M-II TB-7 tuned to either A or drop G. Pegasus and Nazgul
ESP eclipse from 2010 I think? In standard. EMG 81 and 85. Swapped a gibson les paul for it, which I maybe regret a little bit.. but no huge deal all up.
Epiphone explorer (my first proper guitar) that currently has invaders in and is set to D.

Effects is a bit of a mess, because I play a lot of shoegaze/post rock too. Off the top of my head:
Some fancy wah a friend lent me- boss space echo- tube screamer- random custom big muff clone - hall of fame rvb- HM2 clone which I rarely use - tuner. I think that's it.

This goes into an orange dual terror and a 2x12. I've rented out a 4x12 on the two occasions I've need it.

It's a pretty fun set up, and depending on guitar I've got I can go from some super low ultra doom thing to a fairly respectable thrash tone with the eclipse or explorer. I mostly use my tb7 though, it's just incredibly versatile and the band I play in we do everything in a.

Not some super ultra setup but I'm quite happy with it and while I'd love a flying V I haven't bought or really needed any new guitar gear for a very long time.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:16 am 

huh, I had no idea I replied to this thread 4 years back! There you go. Basically, I got a new amp, sold the ormsby and bought the TB7 instead. The ormsby was fun but I never really got used to the fan and I definitely prefer a toneomatic or whatever bridge

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:20 pm 

I added a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 to my setup recently. It's got the stock "Marshall Vintage" branded 16 ohm Celestion Vintage 30s in it, made in 2005, and they sound pretty bad. I plan to replace them all with 8 ohm speakers eventually.

Spoiler: show

The amp is a 6505+ head and the pedals are a tube screamer, a Boss noise suppressor, and an HM2. Nothing too special or unique.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2