Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DarcMurkee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:18 pm 

Hey folks. I've just gotten into home recording, trying some new things.
I've been using Reaper and a variety of plugins, just learning as I go. This track is my most recent creation, check it out below.
Any advice/criticisms are welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/darcmurkee/from-womb-to-tomb

diamond_famicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 am 

funny. my old band from (when I was a teenager) had a song with the same name.

https://soundcloud.com/cj-leming/from-womb-to-tomb

are those live drums? is the guitar done direct in? it definitely sounds like a solo recording. I record with reaper (now) and my shit never sounds that clean.

necrosydz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 am 

As said before it's pretty a clean recording and it definitely sounds like a solo computer recording. Maybe some mastering would do something more personal to your sound?
But please, this is not sludge. You can call it post metal or progressive or whatever but not sludge.

Ebheron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 am 

Wow I was surprised! I wouldn't call your song sludge because it doesn't have the dirty fuzz elements (even tho I can tell the guitars do have a bit of dirt in them I don't think its sufficient, but I'm not saying that as a bad thing), however, it is a fantastic post-metal track in my opinion! Along the lines of Isis and Earth.

As for the recording you nailed it pretty well, The guitars are in stereo and sounding inside the mix, the bass is where it adding the right amount of girth in the low end, the leads are beautiful and the effects are just right. As for the drums if they are programmed well their sound tend to come already somewhat mixed, they sound a bit too perfect to me so I'll assume that for now.

Also the master seem pretty uniform but not compressed to the point it's a "brick".

What I would suggest to make it sound a bit more vivid is utilize live drums and pass the master through an analog mastering preamp for some warmth. And tube amps of course!

In conclusion: for a home recorded track it sound stellar! The arrangement is great and I believe it ain't far from a finished production.

Reply to topic