Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:47 am 

Hi all!

I've been playing constantly for 7 years and while i'm happy with the level i've reached, i'm trying to take it a bit further... and here the problems start

I can play correctly tough stuff like later Death, Dissection, Kreator.. but recently i tried Born by Nevermore and my self esteem took a hard hit and fell into oblivion :lol:

The slowing down method worked well other times, but here i feel like i hit a wall. in particular i'm unhappy with my picking clarity (the chorus in particular is pure pain) and i just not have the insane right hand endurance required

So.. to all the fellow guitar nerds, are there exercises or tips you would suggest to try reach the "new level"?

Also.. do you know any song that has difficulty scale above tough but below hand mangling? :)

Edit: fixed some engrish!

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 am 

If you want to improve your rhythm skills, jamming Leprous, especially something from The Congregation, is great. It's not hand-manglingly hard, but wrapping your head around some of the rhythms is challenging (and rewarding). Playing the right chords and notes at the right time isn't that difficult, but achieving Suhrke-level clarity and note separation challenges not only your picking and fretting skills, but also your ability to dial your gear in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpNU1jl7Fw

Jeff Loomis' riffs tend to blur the line between lead and rhythm guitar quite a bit. In fact, I'd say most of the things he plays are quite lead-y.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 am 

Indeed, it feels like playing lead on thicker strings with a lot of heavy palm muting, it's exhausting

I'm a big fan of The Congregation, and i agree: the clarity of the rhythm guitar is quite incredible and they have some really tricky sections. I've never tried to cover their songs, i'll see this evening!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:44 pm 

As far as picking technique goes, Cracking The Code is the best thing going right now. The primary focus is on lead guitar playing but you can apply the technical stuff to rhythm playing as well.

A couple videos. This shit has given me so much awareness of my technique and has changed my playing in massive ways. No more guesswork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_yF4-mbZuY&t=24s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NHqRj_9QM8

On "hitting a wall" when it comes to speed and technique...

You can't learn how to play fast by practicing slowly. Slow practice is good to help understand the motions that you're making and giving yourself time to think clearly between each note and motion, but eventually the speed of your playing exceeds the speed in which you can think every single individual note and motion you make to play them. So the brain sends a bunch of signals at once as a "chunk" and your body performs to that. What I'm getting at here is that the way your body moves at slow tempos vs fast tempos is often very different. Check out some of these videos, maybe examine your own playing a bit and see what techniques you're using that you might not be aware of. Once you know these things, it's much easier to pick apart what you may or may not need to change in order to play something.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 am 

Very interesting videos right from the start, i'm watching the whole series! Thanks!

After thinking a bit my main struggle seems to be the fast string skipping rhythm parts, it's incredibly hard to keep an uniform pace in particular if there are other techniques involved in the riff, like in the Born chorus

I'll work on it

willBburied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am 

I've been working on some The Haunted riffs but I'm just shitty those aren't actually that advanced.
Also Cracking the code and whole channel of Troy Grady is super awesome!

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 pm 

Try Suffocation, also, Necrophagist.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 am 

Practice War Ensemble's verse riff until you develop a freakish mutant steel arm

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:21 am 

Element_man wrote:
As far as picking technique goes, Cracking The Code is the best thing going right now. The primary focus is on lead guitar playing but you can apply the technical stuff to rhythm playing as well.

A couple videos. This shit has given me so much awareness of my technique and has changed my playing in massive ways. No more guesswork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_yF4-mbZuY&t=24s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NHqRj_9QM8

On "hitting a wall" when it comes to speed and technique...

You can't learn how to play fast by practicing slowly. Slow practice is good to help understand the motions that you're making and giving yourself time to think clearly between each note and motion, but eventually the speed of your playing exceeds the speed in which you can think every single individual note and motion you make to play them. So the brain sends a bunch of signals at once as a "chunk" and your body performs to that. What I'm getting at here is that the way your body moves at slow tempos vs fast tempos is often very different. Check out some of these videos, maybe examine your own playing a bit and see what techniques you're using that you might not be aware of. Once you know these things, it's much easier to pick apart what you may or may not need to change in order to play something.

Mega necroposting, but i feel this time is needed: This stuff is incredible, i can't thank you enough! It's insane that material this good is available for free :o
I'm not a professional musician and i don't even practice as much as when i was a teenager, but i started to sunk the extra time offered by the remote working to go more in depth about guitar playing, in particular by working on a lot of the concepts / licks in Troy Grady's videos and after been "locked" for years the results finally came!

I can't still do excessively silly stuff, but finally being able of playing trough songs that were impossible to me few years ago it's a great reward!

Reply to topic