Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Skullgrind666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:34 pm 

So ive been working on guitar for awhile, and though i dont take long breaks from playing i keep going through cycles of getting fingertip calluses and losing them after about 2 weeks. I hate losing them since it makes guitar painful to play. Any ways i can keep that from happening?

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 am 

As someone who has played guitar for 10+ years, eventually you will be accustomed to it. I don't practice nearly as much as I used to, but unless I haven't played in a while and I play acoustic or very high gauge strings I don't have any issues with finger pains. I'd recommend to try and play 15-30 minutes every few days if you have long breaks of playing for a long time.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:35 pm 

it happens. even after playing for 21 years sometimes you get a blister if you are not doing it every single day for years. for it to develop and last it has to be something you do daily so most of my calluses are from both guitar/drum use and every single day use. so that's why I have vast ones across my palms from working out for a decade.

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:28 pm 

Try setting a schedule for you to do some simple finger exercises every day, it doesn't need to be that long, but consistency will help this.

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:31 pm 

There's really nothing for it but continual practice. Play until your fingers sore (sore, not bleeding), and rest them until they're not. If they're getting cracked and torn, I always found a bit of bag balm or first aid ointment with some vitamin E, and a day of rest helps speed the healing. Remember that calluses are your skin toughening itself in reaction to the use, not a buildup of scarring or dead skin, so they do need time, usage, and care to form well.

Reply to topic