Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:23 am 

My only guitar is a Silvertone that's honestly not that good, so I'm starting to look into getting another one. Since I mostly listen to Metal, I thought that I should ask here for advice on a good guitar for general Metal Music. I mainly like Black Sabbath and Doom in general, Helloween, Death metal, Prog Metal/Rock, Tool, and Muse (last three are relevant but obviously not metal).

What would be a good general guitar for metal? I was thinking about going for an LP copy, but would anything else be nice? I like colossally thick riffs, electronic sounding effects, and whatever the hell you call that godly shit in the opening of Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1.

I know that the amp and effects are super important in metal, but can anyone help me find a general Metal guitar for my taste? Budget would be under $1000, preferably lower.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 pm 

If you're after a LP copy then get an Epiphone. You get good value for the money, although I myself don't like the LP model.
Why not buy a Jackson, maybe something like this?

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/ser ... 2914223521

diamond_famicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 pm 

since you're not sure what you like about different guitars, you should probably go cheaper (like around $200). the bc rich broze warlock has a really beefy sound for a budget guitar. epiphone les pauls have a great lead sound. strat-style guitars are great because they have a tremelo and they're very versatile, but the tremolo can be a pain for an electric guitar newb.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:22 am 

Get a used LTD EC-1000 with the passive pickup set (Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge). That's a quintessential metal guitar, and it will handle power metal, death metal, doom metal, and anything else you can throw at it with ease. It's also excellent for any type of rock with overdriven guitar sounds. The EMG version will cut the muster if you don't mind having less access to classic metal and rock tones.

EC-1000 will have the Les Paul vibe, but none of the quality issues that you will encounter, unless you get one that's about 1.5x your budget new. Epiphones look the part, but you can get better instruments for the price. If you want a Les Paul or an SG, I can only recommend Les Paul Studio, and SG Standard. Those are fantastic guitars, but from my experience, the others are either inferior quality, or vastly overpriced.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:40 pm 

For under 1000 pounds or so, what I'd do is buy a second hand Epiphone Les Paul, stick a Seymour Duncan in it (a JB would cover most areas) and buy a Blackstar amp like the HT-1. You could get a tubescreamer, too.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:57 pm 

An Oscar Schmidt OE20 would probably work well for you. You could get one used for under $200 and throw some Seymour Duncans in it or use the stock pickups in it. With heavy gauge strings it can do doom and death metal well.

Otherwise any LP style will work, my Washburn PXL10 works great for doom metal, but maybe an ESP/LTD would be better for doing death metal as well. You should be able to find one used under $700.

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:26 am 

I already have an amp (key word here is an); I have a Blackstar Stereo 10. It's my first (and thus far only). It's small but I'm just bedroom practicing right now (also I'm broke lol).

I've considered getting an LP clone but I'm not crazy about...well, basically anything except the pickups. I'm thinking about getting a fairly cheap guitar with 24 frets and good build quality and replacing the pickups. How're Schecter Omen 6's?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:40 am 

My experience of Schecters: complete opposite of Les Paul, as far as wood-bodied, rock-oriented electric guitars go. For me, that means that they are uncomfortable to play, and without elegance.

If you want to get a Schecter, I'd recommend getting a used Blackjack or similar, rather than buying one of those cheaper ones new. They're very robust guitars, so they'll probably be in good shape, and are very safe to buy used. They will last you for ages, and when at some point you want to explore other kinds of guitars, you can trade them for another used guitar with good value still. If you buy a cheap Schecter new, you won't be able to trade it for much.

If you're a bigger person, especially with longer arms and bigger hands, Schecters are great to play, whereas Les Pauls and SGs might feel diminutive. They're very bulky, and I don't find it possible to play them comfortably with a short strap. I just traded my Blackjack for an LTD EC-1000, and the guy I traded with was huge compared to me. We both traded for the same reason: we had a guitar we felt that was uncomfortable to play.

The best thing to do is try out several different kinds of guitars, before making the decision to settle on one kind. They are not one-size-fits-all. I wish I had discovered the joy of 24.75'' scale length and Gibson-style neck years ago, instead of struggling with super-strat shred-sticks that were always uncomfortable to play. By the time I realised that I actually would've wanted an SG, the purchase was made, and it was too late to change my mind.

SixGun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 pm 

I've had an Edwards LP copy in the past and I'd say it was better than some of the real Gibsons I owned. Edwards is out of Japan and owned by ESP, most of their Gibson copies come stock with Seymour Duncan pickups. Try checking out reverb and you might snag a good one used for a decent price.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 am 

Totally forgot. If you want a good Les Paul then check out Greco. You can find them on eBay for under $1.000

Reply to topic