Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:13 am 

Hello, right now I have a Peavey Bandit 112. It has served me well, but I would like to upgrade. I'd like to get that classic Marshall sound!

What Marshall model do you recommend (https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps)? It will be mostly used in a bedroom, but if possible, also with a drummer. The material I want to use it for ranges from Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne to Slayer and Death.

Any recommendations? Thanks for your help!

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:42 am 

Everyone raves about Marshall DSL40C which is a 40 watt all tube combo. I considered it myself but I get a lot of my tone through pedals so I wanted an amp that would be a good blank slate to work from, so i got a VOX AC30C2. I had the Marshall DSL100H and though and that was fucking brilliant sounding.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:07 am 

When I was shopping for practice amps, I tried one of those smaller Marshall combos. I think it was the smallest one with a 12'' speaker, so probably DSL20c. I wasn't that impressed with it. But I know the bigger ones in the DSL series are fantastic sounding amps, especially with the Vintage 30 style speaker, which I believe the DSL40C is loaded with. If I were to get any combo now, that would almost certainly be it. Get an EQ pedal to push it, and it should deliver anything from 70s rock to death metal. The DSL series also has relatively good clean channels, as a bonus.

If you're using it with a drummer, here's a tip: get something that you can use to elevate the combo to about ear level. You will be able to hear it better, and the very directional sound of the 1x12'' cab will sound much sharper and better, and have more cut without needing to dime your presence, treble and middle knobs.

Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:30 am 

I have a Marshall code 25 , and it sounds quite good. Because its a modelling amp there are hundreds of band presets available for download. From Sabbath to gojira / slayer you name it. If you want to play with a drummer buy the 50 . Same amp but cuts through.Also you can use it for recording because of the integrated i/o port.

DrudgeDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:26 pm 

The Marshall Valvestate 212's are pretty nice, the VS265 is what my bandmate used for a long time live and for practice. But a quick side-note, NEVER GET RID OF THAT BANDIT. They are magical when mic'ed up with a SM57 and a dimed HM2 in the FX loop.

Reply to topic