Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sidewalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 am 

Hey there

I've been playing the guitar for about twenty years now, but holy toast is it hard to play black metal. I used to be able to play some of "Mother North" by Satyricon in my early twenties, but that was more of a scale deal. I'm working on a song that demands that rapid chord blast. It doesn't take long for my arm to get tired. Are there techniques I could used to improve my ability to play black metal guitar?

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:17 am 

Tremolo-picking in the bm style is what you need to get comfortable with. Find the right angle to get clear picking but also hold the pick rather loosely but tight enough that the pick won't turn. Take advantage of the fling that the string will give you in each strum and rotate your wrist like you're holding a tiny shovel and you're scooping some soil really fast. Get into the habit of using a lot of up-strum motions like you're hooking the string and then push down with your thumb. For chords just do two-string chords and you can use your arm for this, don't overthink the speed because the distortion will make it sound how you want.

These are just my tips for getting familiar with black metal on guitar, before I figured these out I was over-thinking everything and trying too hard to tremolo-pick fast, making my playing like like a broken motor.

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

Reply to topic