Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
servantdagon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:19 pm 

Between Burzum, Paysage d’Hiver and old soundtracks to John Carpenter films, I’ve become inspired to pursue a dungeon synth/dark ambient project. I’m looking for an analog synth that has a good patch for pipe/church organ and choral voice, as well as other versatile patches for dungeon synth and dark ambient, but the former two are my priorities.

It MUST be analog, or digital with 1/4” signal outs(?) because I have an old RE-201 Space Echo tape delay that I want to put to use with a synthesizer. I’m really not interested in MIDI dependent set ups.

I’d like to stay under $700, with $1000 being the absolute top of the budget. Vintage/retro gear is cool to me (if the tape delay didn’t give that away), so older synths aren’t out of the question. Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

servantdagon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:36 am 

Update: I bought a Roland D-50 after hearing some of the great factory patches for it.

CorpseFister
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:46 am 

Excellent choice! Perfect for that atmospheric retro vibe.

I was going to recommend that (or rather the boutique reissue, but that's sweet you got an original), as youve probably noticed polyphonic analogs are quite expensive and traditional subtractive synthesis isn't suited for organ or choir like sounds anyway. Happy synthing, I'm sure that will sound great with the space echo!

servantdagon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:08 pm 

I am very excited to receive it and start playing around with it. Do you have any input about sequencers, or something of the like to create loops with it?

Reply to topic