Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:01 am 

I'm literally incapable of playing anything else. When I started playing guitar long ago I ate breathed and shat thrash metal, so naturally I learned a ton of thrash songs. In a way I feel like I've done the whole damn thing wrong. Like my technique was doomed to fail from the start, like I'm broken. If I could distill my playing style into one descriptor, it'd be 'Jeff Waters' riffs without the snazzy leads', and I'd love to branch out and learn a different style for a change.

Obviously the easy answer here is "learn songs in a different genre you stupid jerk!" but I'm curious if anybody else has had an issue like this.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 pm 

if you can actually play JW rhythm guitar, you are in an enviable position. for each rhythm guitarist who can play battery properly, there's a hundred shredders with snazzy leads. stick to what you know, write good riffs and be a legend! \m/

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:34 pm 

What do you mean? From a guitar technique perspective, there's not much difference between Slayer, Sepultura or Sodom to Deicide, Morbid Angel, Mayhem, Immortal etc. Unless you are trying to play something very technical or progressive

FxIx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:09 pm 

Do you think it's really your technique that's a problem? Or, creatively, is it difficult for you to get out of that thrash head space when you write/play?

In terms of others with a similar problem, my mind goes straight to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADoMfL78Mcc

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:42 pm 

aloof wrote:
if you can actually play JW rhythm guitar, you are in an enviable position. for each rhythm guitarist who can play battery properly, there's a hundred shredders with snazzy leads. stick to what you know, write good riffs and be a legend! \m/

I can try my damnedest!

at the gaytes wrote:
What do you mean? From a guitar technique perspective, there's not much difference between Slayer, Sepultura or Sodom to Deicide, Morbid Angel, Mayhem, Immortal etc. Unless you are trying to play something very technical or progressive

I'm actually thinking a little broader than metal. I know a few songs by most of those bands, they all kind of fit in the same wheelhouse.

I'm more referring to my inability to try and write, like a classic rock song, for instance. I'm so hardwired to play fast and heavy that no matter how much classic rock I listen to or learn, I can never get in the headspace to actually try and write a song like that myself. There's some kind of mental disconnect that happens if I even attempt to jam to that type of music.

FxIx wrote:
Do you think it's really your technique that's a problem? Or, creatively, is it difficult for you to get out of that thrash head space when you write/play?

In terms of others with a similar problem, my mind goes straight to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADoMfL78Mcc

Christ... watching that video is like coming to terms with my own Spinal Tap moment. That's almost exactly what I described above... :crash:

FxIx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:53 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I'm more referring to my inability to try and write, like a classic rock song, for instance. I'm so hardwired to play fast and heavy that no matter how much classic rock I listen to or learn, I can never get in the headspace to actually try and write a song like that myself. There's some kind of mental disconnect that happens if I even attempt to jam to that type of music.
Since it's writing and a cognitive disconnect, I'll share something that works for me: Getting a metronome going at a tempo that's going to challenge me. For me, that's a faster tempo. For you, it might be a much slower tempo and/or different time signature that's different enough it will serve as a bump in the road. I guess for you that would be similar to the cinder blocks, ha.

If you haven't tried that, maybe try doing whatever typical prep you might do to get in creative mode, and then set that metronome to something uncharacteristic for you. I wouldn't be concerned if it doesn't come out classic rock. As long as it gets you in a different space.

nkaper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 am 

i too have this problem. for many years i tried to compose crappy songs, like some death metal songs consisting of 3-4 riffs, without melodic vocal lines, without cool solos. and i failed. i can only compose great melodic songs, i cant compose any crap. likewise, ive never been able, although tried many times, to compose rap music where you have to play around one riff/melody looped. i'll always feel that the song lacks something, it lacks a great solo, a change of the melody line. and so i cant help composing a solo and bridges between choruses and verses and so end up composing another 'normal' song. but now im happy with what i can compose, as ive realized i dont have all the time in the world to try other styles, i'll barely have time to complete all the songs which i began in my main style. so i guess im more lucky.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm 

Fxlx had a really good question. Every so often I catch myself in a songwriting habit of mid tempo groove metal riffs. And I'll either A: just imagine a cool sounding riff featuring a thrashy drum beat or a slow, "giant footsteps" type drum beat, or I'll immerse myself in a band that either captures or comes close to capturing the vibe I want to go for.

Tyrvall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 pm 

I used to play a ton of thrash when I was learning as well so I kinda get where you're coming from especially if your trying to play some classic rock. One thing alot of metal guitarist skip on is just plain ol' feel and improvisation. Thrash is insanely structured and tight so going to something looser is definitely hard. Letting the bass and the drums do the busy work is something that I found was hard to let go of alot of the times as well.

The metronome idea is good but if take it a step farther and try and find some looser drum loops . Maybe a bass player who isn't following your riff? I really like playing over hip hop beats of all things actually. Learn how to use forms other than power chords . Using two chord vamps and trying to keep them interesting rhythmically.

If you can play Jeff water style riffs not a problem though thats pretty awesome.
https://thefleshtemple.bandcamp.com

deckermetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:55 pm 

The obvious advice is the branch out and try to learn new styles and techniques. It will make you a better player and a better musician. Some real advice is to stick to what you are good at and make it your own. You only have to do one thing really well in order to be a guitar icon. Look at Yngwie. Sure his style is a little one dimensional, but he owns it. Some people might make fun of him, but he's getting the last laugh. Stick to what you like and get really good at it. That's my advice.
"When I first started learning how to play guitar I realized, just like the poles of a magnet, some people are drawn to death and others are repulsed by it, but we all have to deal with it." - James Hetfield

Reply to topic