Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kaleus010
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:39 pm 

So, I am what one might call a bedroom musician. I'm a competent guitarist, I know how to play, and I want to put out some music. My setup right now is a Kemper Profiler running directly into Logic Pro, with a BC Rich 7 string warbeast with Seymour Duncans, and I have the potential to record things through a good quality speaker/amp if necessary, but I'd prefer to just run it straight into logic. Within the next two year period, I'd like to release my first bit of music, a short 3 song EP + intros/outros/interludes, with two original songs and one cover of Bolt Thrower's All That Remains.
My music would most likely be a combination of thrash, black and death metal, with a heightened usage of music technology ('studio wizardry'), just because I can use it and think it will give an interesting sound.
Is this realistic? What can you recommend I do in terms of gear, will running straight into Logic with the profiler work you think, and if so do you have any advice on getting a better tone? Any tips in terms of songwriting (I've experience writing songs but not much, and this is the most pop music adjacent song and also the first time I'd be playing the instruments). Any and all comments appreciated!

ChernobylStudios
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:33 pm 

Putting the cart before the horses here, my good Sir.

Is it realistic? If you think it is, then yes, it's realistic.

But you need to do it in a logical order.

Your first step is to write the music. Pick up your guitar, and write riffs. Then write more. Don't analyze what you're writing, just write. And record your riffs. Write some more.

Worry about the production later - after you have music.

There is no point to worry about studio magic if you don't have any music to do studio magic with.

Your gear is irrelevant at this point and, honestly, if you can't make a good tone with a Kemper, then that is entirely on you, how you play the guitar, how you record it, etc.

Consequently, I'm just about to run a private free guitar tone workshop series with my email list tomorrow. It'll go for a week. PM me if you're interested and I'll include you.

Kaleus010
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 am 

ChernobylStudios wrote:
Putting the cart before the horses here, my good Sir.

Is it realistic? If you think it is, then yes, it's realistic.

But you need to do it in a logical order.

Your first step is to write the music. Pick up your guitar, and write riffs. Then write more. Don't analyze what you're writing, just write. And record your riffs. Write some more.

Worry about the production later - after you have music.

There is no point to worry about studio magic if you don't have any music to do studio magic with.

Your gear is irrelevant at this point and, honestly, if you can't make a good tone with a Kemper, then that is entirely on you, how you play the guitar, how you record it, etc.

Consequently, I'm just about to run a private free guitar tone workshop series with my email list tomorrow. It'll go for a week. PM me if you're interested and I'll include you.

Thank you! You are completely right - I'm getting carried away in terms of what I'm planning to start on. I'd love to take part in the workshop but sadly I'm not able to do that at this point. Thank you for your advice!

ChernobylStudios
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am 

Kaleus010 wrote:

Thank you! You are completely right - I'm getting carried away in terms of what I'm planning to start on. I'd love to take part in the workshop but sadly I'm not able to do that at this point. Thank you for your advice!

Too busy to watch a few videos about getting better guitar tones when you are asking for tips about getting better guitar tones in this very thread?

Okay.

deckermetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:04 pm 

Focus on writing good songs, riffs, and music. Then you can worry about the production quality later. Obviously, you want it to sound good, but it's a lot harder to write a good arrangement or riff than it is to get decent tone with your equipment. Just write and record things for reference. Then when you have a good amount of material, you can worry about recording it at a higher quality. Just my two cents.
"When I first started learning how to play guitar I realized, just like the poles of a magnet, some people are drawn to death and others are repulsed by it, but we all have to deal with it." - James Hetfield

Reply to topic