Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 am 

I really want to be able to do whammy bar (tremolo bar) solos and licks like what is heard on the following albums:

Persecution Mania by Sodom
Black Metal by Venom
Slaughter the Weak by Jungle Rot
Realm of Chaos by Bolt Thrower
Severed Survival by Autopsy
Pleasure to Kill by Kreator
Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel
From Beyond by Massacre
Evil Invaders by Razor
Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
Reign in Blood by Slayer

What guitar should I get that has a good whammy bar on it for the kind of music I described above? What are the good brands of guitars with good whammy bars that I should be searching for?

Based purely on aesthetics, I would want a BC Rich Mockingbird with a whammy bar: https://www.long-mcquade.com/files/83082/lg_d07b931763f2a2ea20837e79f1e03fc4.jpg . But other than me thinking it looks cool, would getting one really be a wise purchase? Or are all the big name brand guitars with whammy bars all essentially the same?

I'm generally also long overdue for a guitar upgrade as I have been using a Epiphone SG for the past 11 years. So what in general would be a good upgrade for my new guitar? What kind of pickups should I get? I like to play a style of guitar playing combining black/death/thrash metal with some melodic elements (I'm not too sure if a black metaller would have a different guitar preference versus say a death metaller). By the way, I already have a Vox VT 40+ amp. And lastly, my budget is about $1,000-$2,000. I've gotten really serious with my music over the last 3-4 years so I really want something of professional level of quality.

Bronan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:43 am 

Pickups: EMGs or Seymour Duncan for passives. The most important component of your sound so this is where you want to put your money anyway.

We all know the more sharps corners the more metal the guitar. Jackson guitars work well with Seymour Duncans so either the RR3 or the King V would be in your budget. The BC Rich Warlock gives you the maximum number of angles.

EMGs work best with Ibanez but most of their guitars are super strats. The JEM is a good look for Steve Vai wannabes. Get the Axion if you want a 7 string for those bass range drop tuning chugs.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:09 am 

Before you pull the trigger, check what the scale length is on what you're planning to get. If it's more than in your SG (which should be 24.75 inches), playing it will probably feel awkward in comparison. There are shreddy guitars with trems that have the so-called Gibson scale. Most guitars that come with a floating tremolo, however, are so-called Fender scale of 25.5 inches. It might not sound like much, but it feels totally different to play.

Bronan wrote:
Pickups: EMGs or Seymour Duncan for passives. The most important component of your sound so this is where you want to put your money anyway.

We all know the more sharps corners the more metal the guitar. Jackson guitars work well with Seymour Duncans so either the RR3 or the King V would be in your budget. The BC Rich Warlock gives you the maximum number of angles.

EMGs work best with Ibanez but most of their guitars are super strats. The JEM is a good look for Steve Vai wannabes. Get the Axion if you want a 7 string for those bass range drop tuning chugs.

Seymour Duncans isn't a bad choice, but what's your reasoning for recommending that brand? They have a very wide variety of humbuckers, from the actual 50s PAF replicas to absolute fire-breathing modern metal pickups. Are there particular Seymour Duncans models that you had in mind while giving that recommendation? Personally, from their range, I recommend the JB Trembucker for bridge, and the Full Shred neck pickup for neck, for heavy mahogany guitars. I do not recommend the Invader, at least for light Basswood superstrats with a floating tremolo. JB Trembucker in my heavy mahogany Schecter Blackjack sounded monstrous. The JB is traditionally paired with the 59 or Jazz, but those aren't necessarily good pickups for scorching metal lead guitar - if you need the neck pickup for fluid, tight lead guitar runs, a PAF isn't necessarily the way to go.

EMGs are a love or hate thing. If you don't need your sound to have any personality or discernible quality to it other than being thick and tight, EMG81 is a great bridge pickup. You can probably tell which camp I'm in with regards to EMGs. It can also be a valid stylistic choice to go for the sterile, hollow and cold sound, which works for a band like Cannibal Corpse.

Regarding floating tremolos, I only have experience from two guitars that I've owned. One of them is a Japanese Ibanez RG, with a licensed tremolo (Edge something or other). Nearly useless. Another is from a Schecter Blackjack, with an original Floyd Rose. That one was excellently made, felt sturdy, readily fluttered, and stayed in tune with anything but the most insane trem bar abuse. I tried a couple of mid-tier Jacksons with floating tremolos, and they felt toy-like and shite. I've heard great things about Schallers. There are big differences between them, and while Floyd Rose (not the licensed ones - the real deal) is excellent, there may be even better ones. Avoid licensed Floyd Roses and Ibanez Edge nonsense.

Reply to topic