Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:16 pm 

I'd like to start learning keyboard and would definitely appreciate any advice or recommendations. I am a decent guitarist but a complete novice with the keyboard. Im looking to make dungeon synth, symphonic black metal type music so first of all should I even get a keyboard or just use a program like reaper or pro tools? Ideally I'd like to mix everything with reaper so would it be better to have an actual keyboard or just use programs? And if it's programs you recommend what ones in particular for the keyboard?

As far as actual keyboards first and foremost I'm looking for something cheap since I don't know how to play it yet. Ideally I'd like something cheap that can easily interact with programs like reaper to make whatever sounds I need, low fi is fine. I'd love one of those lighted keyboards that teach you how to play by following the lit up keys but that's probably not too feasible with my current keyboard goals. Anyways looking forward to anyone sharing their knowledge on the subject, thanks!

AllHallowsEve5305
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:05 am 

I've been playing the keyboard on and off for about 8 years now, I haven't really invested in a keyboard, but I try to get ones that that are all-in-one at a good price, so I think I can help
I would recommend Yamaha PSR keyboards
They tend to have a very wide range of synths and others sounds
I have a PSR-170 from 2001 that I got used for 30 bucks
It was my first, and is still my favorite
It has MIDI and all that jazz, output too
Built in metronome
Teaches you how to play, no light up keys, but a solution would be to get stickers to put on the keys that show you what note it is
Haven't played it in almost a year since it's at a relatives at the moment, but I know for a fact there's quite a bit of synth sounds and lots of effects, which are why I like the PSR line so much
Got a PSR-E363 in December last year for $200, more modern synth modes, but will still most likely work for you
Plugged in, it does have some static in the background, unlike the 170, but the E363 sounds more realistic, like a real organ or piano
Also has built in lessons, but still no light up keys
I did see a Yamaha with light up keys in a music store a while back, I think it was a model from the early to mid 90's. It was pretty beat up, so if you really want one with light up keys, it might take a bit of time to find one that hasn't been left in the rain at a yard sale (Seen it happen to a poor PSR, R.I.P buddy...) and thoroughly curbstomped

In conclusion, I'd say the PSR-170 is great if you want more 'fun' synths or electronic sounding ones
and the PSR-E363 if you mostly want a clean sounding piano and modern synths, compared to more 90's sounding synths
I'd have to say, I think the PSR-170 is better and more fun to play around with and to make music with, but it's all up to the person playing it, so before taking my word, do some research on both of them, and decide which one will work best for you
Hope this helps you, and I wish you luck :-D
-Tim

~Guest 881392
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:35 am 

Honestly, at this point in time a lot of MIDI keyboards are pretty cheap. A lot of keyboards are more expensive since you're paying for the sounds on them, which often makes MIDI keyboards dirt cheap. If unweighted isn't a problem then you can get one with 61 keys for pretty cheap. 88 keys and weighted tend to cost more but they're still relatively cheap compared to many others. My Doepfer LMK2+ was just a fraction of the price of a typical unweighted Nord keyboard for example.

dontrushurshot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 am 

Love my Oxygen 61 controller. Lightweight and easy to use with any DAW (Just plugs in with USB). It has all the baisc controls, including extra parameters you can assign once you decide to cross that bridge, and also a plug for a sustain pedal. Although it does not have weighted keys, if you're just trying to dip your feet in, it's a good start (think they're around $100 used).

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:24 am 

dontrushurshot wrote:
Love my Oxygen 61 controller. Lightweight and easy to use with any DAW (Just plugs in with USB). It has all the baisc controls, including extra parameters you can assign once you decide to cross that bridge, and also a plug for a sustain pedal. Although it does not have weighted keys, if you're just trying to dip your feet in, it's a good start (think they're around $100 used).

I used an ancient Oxygen controller when I first started producing music. An Oxygen 8, I think it was.

Anyway, I'd recommend a Launchkey. They're kinda flimsy, but they look cool and interact with Ableton Live very well like they're meant to. Of course, they work with any DAW.

Reply to topic