Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 pm 

Hey does anybody know of some good online guitar lessons that go through in detail the theory behind chords and their progressions as well as the different modes. Basically "beginner" guitar music theory lessons I guess, although I have been playing guitar for 8 years and believe it or not I don't know a damn thing about guitar theory. I can read music since I took piano lessons when I was younger but when I took up guitar I learned all my music just from tabs so I know how to "play" guitar very comfortably but I have definitely hit a roadblock when it comes to composition and improvisation while playing my own made up stuff. Basically all of the riffs and "songs" I have made are just based off of experimenting with "known" chord progressions that I had picked up from tabs of songs that I've learned. I also mainly play black metal and I'd like to keep it that way :p but basically it definitely is time to finally learn how to truly understand how to play guitar because I am definitely out to lunch when it comes to the musical theory of playing guitar.

Thanks for the help guys!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:20 am 

I like Rick Graham, a lot of his stuff is on YouTube but the real juice is apparently on his website which I've never really visited. He's been picked to do shit like Eric Johnson DVD instructions so he's get more than enough cred.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:50 pm 

http://justinguitar.com/

He can get a bit crazy on musical theory but since he covers every level, there should be something useful to any guitar player.

whitzmusic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:38 am 

I realize it's a relatively old thread, but what I'm going to suggest is a rather new course solely because I found it superb. It's called Masterclass and is taught by none other than Tom Morello. He goes really in depth into music theory, and it's gonna help guitarists of any level interested in rock/punk/metal. Sure, there are other platforms that are more popular such as GuitarTricks and JamPlay, but they feature too many different instructors, and are not that much tightly focused.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:09 pm 

Ben Eller rules: https://www.youtube.com/user/BenEllerGuitars/videos

for example,

or

Reply to topic