Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wEEman33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 am 

One of the biggest problems I've faced as an amateur musician is that I'll come up with some cool sounding musical ideas in my head but once I sit down at my computer (all I have right now is Finale notation software + a MIDI Keyboard) to transcribe what I'm hearing in that same exact tempo, pitch, and rhythm I just can't get all three of those musical factors to perfectly align and whatever I end up producing in Finale sounds off the mark in some way compared to what I'm hearing in my head.

I'm sure there are lots of cell phone apps and Mac computer software that could help me out with transcribing via singing my musical ideas out loud, but what options exist on the Windows PC market?

Free is better obviously but I don't mind paying $100 or less for quality software that can last a long time (I've had Finale installed on my PC for over a decade and it's great for pros but I'm just not educated enough to get the most out it I need something a little more noob friendly).

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:20 pm 

I tried singing random improvisations into Antares Auto-Tune once to write melodies and be able to see what notes I sang and manipulate them...

...not a suggestion, but I've never heard of any software that is really meant to do what you want it to do. But that's just me.

interstellar_medium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:05 am 

If your singing is clean enough (including the recording quality), Melodyne Essential should be able to do the job. It's right under $100. There is a trial version for 30 days. It integrates with Cakewalk / Sonar beautifully (which is now free).

If you don't mind some manual work, there's the free Sonic Visualiser - it may have an automated melody transcriber plugin, but I've never used it. It's pretty easy to do without it, just a bit tedious, by looking at the ("melodic range") spectrogram.

Reply to topic