Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TragedyMask
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:01 am 

If you’ve ever released an album, you know about the mad dash to get coverage. Reviews, interviews, etc. Time is of the essence, as the longer your album has been out the less relevant it becomes. In fact, most journalists like to have your press kit and a copy of the album prior to its release, which I learned the hard way with being massively unprepared for the release of my new album. So here’s my dilemma: After countless emails to journalists, reviewers, influencers, playlist curators, etc. I have only gotten a handful of emails back. Understable. This is my first album after all and I don’t have any sort of reputation yet. A few journalists have commented in their replies that they really enjoyed the music and that they will be reviewing them once they have a chance to dig a little deeper into the album. But after a week or more, I haven’t heard back from anybody with a review. Outside of the initial reply of, “Thank you so much for checking out the album—I’m glad you enjoyed it and I can’t wait to read your feedback!” I haven’t followed up with any of them.

So my question: How long would you personally wait before secondary contact? I want to send them a reminder, but I don’t want to come off as unprofessional. I am also losing valuable time and am generally bad with patience in the first place because I’m an American so immediate gratification is in my genome (along with cultural appropriaton as a hobby, Costco hot dogs, and very bad IPA’s that I pretend are good in front of strangers.)

I appreciate any thoughts on this!

New album, Theatrum Tragoedia, available now on all streaming platforms!

Bandcamp: https://tragedymask.bandcamp.com

Fomo Sapiens
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:34 pm 

My rule-of-thumb for cold emails is allowing two weeks before following up. After all, you don't know these people and they don't know you. Their priority must be those they already work with.

I get having reviews, but if this is your first album, and you're not signed... perhaps an interview is a bit unrealistic at this early stage?

Haha, if you can admit craft IPAs are mostly mediocre you're doing something right.

Reply to topic