Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 am 

I've already asked this question in my other thread "black metal bass noob question", but I'm hoping I can get more tips here.

I'm a bass noob so I know nothing about which instrument to acquire. I'll be recording black metal and death metal via line-in on my computer. I guess the tone of the bass itself wouldn't be the most important part since I can just pick an amp in the software. But what other things should I look out for? A bass that doesn't untune itself too quickly? Are there any brands that produce decent bass guitars that don't cost a fortune?

Jabawock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:16 am 

Even if it is through DI only, I think the tone is still important. The cheapest entry-level basses tend to sound thin and plasticky, and you can't fully compensate for this with just some plugins. It's different from a guitar, because in extreme metal the guitar is so saturated/compressed that the actual tone of the instrument is much less audible than on bass, where a portion of the dry signal is usually still preserved in the mix.

Personally, I always recommend the Ibanez SR500 as the best, all around, low budget bass guitar. It's nothing spectacular, but it has a pretty solid tone and takes effects really well. The neck is also very comfortable, very easy to play. You can find one for around 300€ used here in Europe.
For the same budget, if you can find an ATK300, especially an older Japanese one, they sound even better in my opinion. But the look is a bit weird maybe.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:22 am 

I'd recommend getting a second-hand Fender Jazz, if your budget can stretch to it. Totally solid, sound great, it's hard to go wrong.

I'd also look into getting a Sansamp pedal (although if your DAW is Pro Tools you should have a Sansamp plugin included already). They make recording bass ridiculously easy.

coupdebleus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:24 pm 

IMO, if you ain't a bass player and won't need nor apply the kind of nuance a real bassist would add to the music, save yourself the money and go all the way with (free) VSTi. Bass is one of the easiest instruments to emulate so it won't be superhard for you to achieve a good result.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:00 am 

Jabawock wrote:
Personally, I always recommend the Ibanez SR500 as the best, all around, low budget bass guitar. It's nothing spectacular, but it has a pretty solid tone and takes effects really well. The neck is also very comfortable, very easy to play. You can find one for around 300€ used here in Europe.

I second that, an Ibanez SR would be good for metal. The SR500 is the cheapest of the serie featuring Bartolini pick-ups.
If you're going to destroy the tone with some crappy VST you can get away with an SR300 or 370 too :wink:

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 am 

Awblaster wrote:
I'd recommend getting a second-hand Fender Jazz, if your budget can stretch to it. Totally solid, sound great, it's hard to go wrong.

I'd also look into getting a Sansamp pedal (although if your DAW is Pro Tools you should have a Sansamp plugin included already). They make recording bass ridiculously easy.

I use GarageBand, it's super user user friendly so I doubt I'll switch to any other software any time soon. Perhaps for my next album. I'll check out Sansamp though.

From your recommendation, I take it a jazz bass would do too? I did a quick search on our local version of Ebay and found a cheap Sire Marcus Miller V7 ALDER-5 AWH. The seller describes it as a jazz bass. A new one costs about 600 € around here. Would a bass of that price be good enough, in your opinion? Does 600 € generally get you a good bass, or is it still too cheap?

coupdebleus wrote:
IMO, if you ain't a bass player and won't need nor apply the kind of nuance a real bassist would add to the music, save yourself the money and go all the way with (free) VSTi. Bass is one of the easiest instruments to emulate so it won't be superhard for you to achieve a good result.

I disagree. At least in the DAW that I've been using, I've been getting better results with a crappy bass and a really old, noisy sound card. The tone obviously isn't good, but it still sounds much more alive than the digital plugins I have. The plugins have decent tones, but I wanna be able to do slides etc.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 am 

I've read all replies obviously, thank you! I'll be looking out for an SR500 online.

Reply to topic