Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SeedsOfTheSuffering
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:52 pm 

Hello, fellas! I had the idea of creating some sort of black metal concept album with some inspiration taken from bands like Deathspell Omega, Leviathan, and Ved Buens Ende primarily. That dissonant, gut-wrenching stuff but also holding some visceral, emotional feelings. Was just wondering if any of you guys have or plan to do something in a similar fashion.

Just the recording, songwriting, and the whole philosophy in pursuing such a thing. It is a pretty open-ended topic, I'm sure... though I feel like there are some definite DO's and DONT's that I may not be aware of otherwise. Instead of going in blind, I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter and maybe have some kind of conversation going on ya know what I mean?

(P.S: This is my first topic on here, so if I made some kind of formatting mistakes or anything like that I apologize, lol)

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 pm 

SeedsOfTheSuffering wrote:
Hello, fellas! I had the idea of creating some sort of black metal concept album with some inspiration taken from bands like Deathspell Omega, Leviathan, and Ved Buens Ende primarily. That dissonant, gut-wrenching stuff but also holding some visceral, emotional feelings. Was just wondering if any of you guys have or plan to do something in a similar fashion.

Just the recording, songwriting, and the whole philosophy in pursuing such a thing. It is a pretty open-ended topic, I'm sure... though I feel like there are some definite DO's and DONT's that I may not be aware of otherwise. Instead of going in blind, I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter and maybe have some kind of conversation going on ya know what I mean?

(P.S: This is my first topic on here, so if I made some kind of formatting mistakes or anything like that I apologize, lol)

Hey man, welcome to the forums!

Anyway, I'm sort of working towards something similar. The first album of my project won't be as cohesive conceptually, but for future releases I do have such ideas.

I honestly have no idea if there are any "rules", any DOs and DON'Ts. But I do think it's probably a good idea to establish a few limits for yourself. Let's say you're making a concept album about war, and you want to make it chronological. Here's a hypothetical tracklist:

1. Civil unrest
2. Declaration of war
3. War crimes
4. Aftermath (PTSD)

The point I'm trying to make here is basically that you could have 100 different songs about different aspects of war, but that might make the album feel not cohesive enough. Similarly, if you ONLY make the songs about different types of guns and how hard they kill people, it might be too narrow for the scope of a concept album. Might as well go big or go home, eh?

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but for now that's all I can think of: establish a "universe", and make the limits as narrow or broad as you want them to be, and then see what fits inside that universe.

SeedsOfTheSuffering
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm 

Hey, thank you for the suggestion! As for now, I have a pretty vague blueprint for the LP (10 tracks, figured out all the titles and the order they go in). Wrote some lyrics for the 1st song, and obviously still have to write all the music material but I am a big believer in what you said there. It's easy to get carried away writing one thing. If you wanna make a cohesive story, it requires a good amount of variety. Appreciate it!

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:37 pm 

No worries! It would still be interesting to get some input from others as well.

Reply to topic