Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jorme281995
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 pm 

Im a noob black metal vocalist and i want to learn how to do proper screams, does anybody have any ideas on what i can do? or is there anything i should avoid? any help is appreciated

Denpafighter978VGCP
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:01 am 

Keep on practicing. Watch videos on the topic. And read about your favorite vocalists to see what they know how to do.

cursedamulet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:17 pm 

Still learning myself, but it's important to watch videos and understand what it means to use your diaphragm. If you can find a traditional singing coach to get the basics down, it will help you a lot. One thing I didn't see in videos online was about sound placement, like where in your mouth is the sound resonating from. Manipulating your face will even change the sounds coming from your mouth.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:24 pm 

People might tell you "don't just scream loud; you'll hurt yourself", and that's true enough. If it hurts, be wary. But I also want to give advice from the opposite direction: don't be tense, constrained, shy. Find somewhere you're comfortable actually being loud. I've known people who drove themselves crazy trying to do quiet harsh vocals, but even psychologically, I find that you need to feel open. Get a bit animalistic, have fun, grunt, make noises, be weird. Experiment and see what sorts of sounds your throat is equipped for. Not everyone will have the same sorts of "instruments" at their disposal.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:11 am 

awheio wrote:
don't be tense, constrained, shy. Find somewhere you're comfortable actually being loud. I've known people who drove themselves crazy trying to do quiet harsh vocals, but even psychologically, I find that you need to feel open. Get a bit animalistic, have fun, grunt, make noises, be weird.

Totally agree with this. Practicing your vocals quietly all the time is like practicing with your guitar unplugged - you may get something that sounds nice in your bedroom but you'll never get chance to develop your tone or sound and it certainly won't work live. Find somewhere you feel comfortable screaming and go for it. Put as little strain on your throat as possible and practice your vowel sounds first before moving onto full words and phrases. I've heard salt and grease also help lube your chords up. Good luck!

Reply to topic