Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Viscous Fluid Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:45 am 

So, I recently wrote an album. I think it's pretty good, but there are a couple of dubious points. first, I'm not really sure how good he is, I need criticism. Second, I can't decide on the genre of the album. There is ambient, lo-fi, and inspiration from black metal, doom metal and dsbm, rock ballads and much more that is not clear.

here is the album itself https://vk.com/music/playlist/473803740_327 (I didn't have time to upload it to the bandcamp, sorry). the site is safe, completely, you can check, but this is something like a social network, so they may ask to register.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:51 am 

Moved to correct subforum.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:54 am 

^ heyy I'm in your sig, sweet.

Viscous Fluid Death - if you want feedback I suggest you first upload the album somewhere more accessible. Getting someone to listen to a stranger's stuff is hard enough as it is, and I don't think many people are prepared to register on a new random website to do it. I don't mean to be harsh, but it's the way it is.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:29 am 

I agree with Korpgud. I'd probably check this out if it was more accessible. Would you consider putting it up on bandcamp or YouTube?

Viscous Fluid Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:11 am 

i finally can upload it to bandcamp, Im doing it rn

Viscous Fluid Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:12 am 

https://viscousfluiddeath.bandcamp.com/album/indulgence here it is

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:03 pm 

Well right off the bat I can tell you what I would want more of: bass, dynamics and drums.

There's no bass. and the drums need to be stronger in the mix. Regarding the dynamics, there's a whole lot of really slow guitar picking. I don't really listen to DSBM, doom metal or ambient, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask here. But it seems to me that the songs never really venture beyond the really mellow and depressive. Nothing wrong with any of those two things, but there needs to be some more "action" for things to stay interesting, at least in my book.

I really like the part at 1:27 in Burden, that's quality black metal right there. Some bass would really do a ton of good there. And maybe experiment with faster tempos too? And you can't go wrong with a traditional rock song structure of intro - verse - chorus etc if you're just starting out.

I'm a riff salad kinda guy, I don't really go much for music where the riffs or the melodies stay the same for long periods of time, so again, I might not be the right type of person to comment here. But if you're going to base an entire song around one single idea (like Cathedral of suffering), I would suggest working even more with build ups and dynamics. Do the guitars need to pick the melody all the time? How bout simply playing the chord progression with open chords or barre chords? Stuff like that can really change the atmosphere and make it sound bigger, while still keeping with the basic idea of the song. And more cymbals and open hi hats in that case!

Keep up the good work man!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:26 pm 

I just realized we have a dedicated thread for this. OP, please feel free to continue the conversation over here. :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.