Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlueTransparency
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:39 pm 

It seems difficult being the sole person who wants to keep a project going after a previous lineup departs. I am not a very social person so I have the framework for an album but no album. Any ideas how to find musicians who would want to be in a grindcore or depressive black metal project? See my thing is that I like to be completely separated from the other musician(s) as I have trouble being around people. I'm fine paying for the album and paying their share of it, but I cannot talk to people due to what is likely high functioning autism. How did you guys find bandmates?

Tenebris078
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:03 pm 

I play bass for 4 years and I do not have a band for 2 years. I NEED TO PRODUCE SOMETHING!!! please?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:35 pm 

mainly do internet based and that's just from talking with other musicians about stuff and bands and it kinda goes from there. locally it was always talking with people at shows and comes from that or from them knowing other people who are looking to form something. I don't know it was always very easy for me and still is.

have you just considered opting to do internet based recording and forego the whole band and full practice routine?

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:25 pm 

It can take a long time if you're not social. Most people in bands met their bandmates at shows or via word of mouth from friends. I'd recommend writing some stuff solo and fill it out using session musicians, and then use the finished product to recruit around locally. That approach works for a lot of people.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:11 am 

If you are very concrete in what exactly you want someone to play, you could always try Fiverr. There are loads of musicians on there that you can hire to play and record for you.

Otherwise it might be tough with no prior contacts. For most people, I think, playing in a band (whether online or in person) is a social thing almost as much as it is an artistic endeavor.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:04 pm 

Yeah I mean you sort of answered your own question. Most bands still do everything in person, and that's how they meet as well. Really your only option is to start hitting up strangers on reddit or social media.

Craigslist is still the main way bands find members when they've run out of people in their social circle. In the past few years I've jammed with a dozen people I found on Craigslist while having zero luck on social media or word of mouth. Now that Craigslist finally has an app, just add an alert for "metal" or whatever and also post an ad of your own. If you are even in a moderately sized city you'll have no problem finding people.

Since you're in Canada, though, Kijiji is probably your better bet: https://www.kijiji.ca/b-artists-musicia ... ia/c2l9007

Waelo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:02 am 

I also join forces and support Fiverr, you can find cool people there in your area I hope ... In a big city where I live I can find everything
Facebook pages are also usefull, there must be a musicians network where you live

thepuppiespie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:10 am 

Advertise for band members locally. ...
Contact recording studios and rehearsal spaces. ...
Ask your friends. ...
Run a print ad for band members. ...
Post online. ...
Join a musician finder site. ...
Join forums. ...
Use social media.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Puppiespie #1 Plateform That Provide you to Get Best information About Pet, Price and Related Productes (puppiespie) That help to make Your decision.

ite_maledicti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:28 pm 

Consider contacting the members of bands that you like. While some of these extreme metal bands seem like they're unapproachable, they're actually just normal people that like to play music. There's a lot of artists out there that are willing to do some session/studio work just for fun.

iwanruby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:33 pm 

at a time like this you can try it by searching on several websites that are engaged in that field..

Join My Band
Gumtree
JamKazam
BandMix
Meet & Jam

but I think it would be better if you could find people around you who have one vision in playing music of course!

66samhain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:51 am 

It was tough for me to find band members too, given the fact that I don't live in a very musical city/country. I actually gathered them via social media, as the majority of them were playing in other bands too. Another way would be to hang out at a studio that is focused on metal, that's how we found our drummer.

Reply to topic