Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Utrho
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 pm 

This can be used to put voices or sounds from a movie or song, an example with summoning, they occupy samples of the BBC transmissions of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (in the songs of the EP Lost Tales) but what I I would like to know if I can use movie or video samples in my songs, whether they are metal or not.

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:16 am 

If you mean "legally", unless the source is in the public domain (i.e. there's no copyright on it or there used to be but has expired), you'd have to clear the sample, which means contacting the copyright's owner and paying a fee to use it in your song.
You could get away with it if the sample is treated/processed in such a way that it's unrecognizable.

Utrho
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:31 am 

ok thanks, I just wanted to remove this doubt, to see if we could use them for music hehe, maybe we will record our own samples because we are just starting and we want it to be good, thanks for answering. :3

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:40 am 

Some bands here take the risk on demos and things, but usually not on releases that are digitally distributed to YouTube etc. where the copyright owners may be alerted to it.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:08 am 

Automatic recognition of copyrighted material has gotten really harsh over the last years, especially on platforms like Youtube. If you can't document that you have the rights to use something, your song might be flagged already upon upload.
Like Prigione Eterna said, if you substantially change the sample you could conceivably fool such software though. But I don't think it becomes any more legal by doing so, unless the source material is registered under the type of copyright that allows for alteration.

I think it's highly unlikely you'd ever face legal repercussions for doing it unless your project becomes hugely commercially successful. After all, many many many bands do it, some big some small, but I've only very rarely heard of anything happening legally.

There are services that can take care of the mechanical licensing for you. It costs money, obviously, but it might not be as expensive as you'd expect. I remember one of my old bands once obtained the rights to commercially release a cover song that way, and it wasn't very expensive at all.

Hope that helps, somewhat.

Reply to topic