Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 1118322
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:03 pm 

Well, this question might sound really stupid for you, but I'm going to make some precisions :
- I've tried to find tutorials on youtube, I didn't find anything that would explain, step by step, how to simply record BM when in a band.
- Somebody told me once : "you just have to make it sound like you want it to sound"
well.. that's why I'm asking you fool!
- I've tried virtual amps, i find em useful, but the problem is the sound is SO DIFFERENT than the drums, I told myself i had to "imitate" the reverb so i've tried to put reverb.. but I can't have the same RAW sound.

Okay; let's start

I have drums, I have a Bass, I have a Guitar, I have a Voice, what do I do?

I have AUDACITY to record, i have an audio mixer to plug my guitar.

So please explain to me, STEP BY STEP, what do i have to do exactly with what I have?

Thank you for reading ;)

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:52 pm 

To get a cohesive sound, you need to record all the different instruments with the same mic in the same room. I'm not sure whether you are trying to record a full band or doing a one man band project.

If you are recording a full band, it might be as simple as putting a single mic in the rehearsal room and pressing record. This doesn't give you much options after recording, so you will have to experiment with mic positioning, positioning of the instruments in the room, etc. But this is how "trve kvlt" demos where recorded, and it will give you a very raw sound.

If you are doing a one man project, you are recording each instrument alone, so you can try out different mic positions per instrument. If you are feeling fancy, you can record your drums with more than one mic, but I don't find it necessary. I'm not sure whether you have any amp available, put even getting a cheap one, cranking it up, turning up the treble and recording it with a microphone will give you a sound much rawer than what fancy digital amps can deliver. I can get some great sounds out of my Roland Micro Cube for example by turning up the distortion and playing it through the vocal channel.

When you do all this, you will get experience in what you can accomplish with creative mic placement. In general, until the advent of multitrack recording and digital technology, that's what recording was all about.

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm 

Heh, you want a raw sound? Use cheap equipment. A lot of raw black metal bands use the room mic technique, like Vlad Tepes or Mutiilation(at least it sounds like that's what they did.) If you're after an early Bathory sound, like say, The Return...go into a something like a barn, or a large room of some sort and try that out. The rawest stuff I did was with a Tascam dp24sd. After I'd record a track I'd play it through the speakers and record it again with a room mic, in an attempt to decay the sound. So for Mic placement, just put the mic in the middle of the room and see what happens. Making the perfect black metal sound is tricky, and people's opinions will vary on what that is so you'll need to experiment a little and see what works best for you. If you read around a little you may realize that a lot of these guys aren't using Gibsons and Marshalls, they're using whatever they can, or purposely using cheap equipment. Take Filosofem by Burzum for example. He used a headset mic for the vocals. Hope this helps.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:34 pm 

You may want to visit the YouTube page for Teloch of Mayhem. He has had some tutorials on writing/recording black metal.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:19 am 

Have you really looked around? A simple search on Google shows several vids on the subject. You say you are looking for a step-by-step. Do you really think black metal bands are following some kind of paint-by-numbers scheme? I doubt that. When I listen to that type of music, I hear what are obviously different techniques, producing a wide array of sounds from extremely lo-fi Darkthrone type recordings to more layered and isolated recordings like Dimmu Borgir. Some bands went from one type of sound to another, like Satyricon. Emperor as well.

The bottom line is you are going to have to take tips, but put them together yourself, and be an artist. Influences count, but ultimately this is about you being you, as a musician, engineer, and producer of your own music. That's what makes it fun, worthwhile. You can be proud of that, because you did it.

Also, don't be afraid to suck. I mean that. Most musicians, their first songs and recordings aren't good at all. Then it gets better.

Lilac Seafoam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:07 pm 

Audacity (or one of the new spinoffs) isn't for tracking whole projects. Get the trial of Reaper. Go on youtube and type "how to use reaper".
Two basic options, kvlt and easy.

easy: just overdub all the parts directly. for drums, use a condenser mic over the drums and a dynamic in front of the kick. go on youtube and search "how to use an effects bus in reaper". route the guitar and overhead to a bus and put reverb on that.

kvlt: record your drums with one mic, get it in reaper. then play that back over a speaker in your room, mic'd again. record your bass along with the drum playing over the speaker. you should now have a track that's bass and drums in your room. Repeat until all parts are overdubbed. Use the largest room you have access to.

you know what, send me your tracks and I'll mix and master them for $10 on paypal. seriously.

iwanruby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:28 pm 

maybe if possible try using a better DAW, not that i underestimate audacity.. but I think there are some free DAWs that perform better! Garageband, Ableton Live Lite, Cubase LE..

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:24 am 

Just start playing. Don't overthink it.

JustinBourdeau
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 am 

Did you see the pinned posts at the top of this forum? ie: "The Recording Process" & "The Mixing Process"?

Start there.

https://avantgardemusic.com/
https://astralpath.bandcamp.com/

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:39 pm 

If you want to make the drums sounding similar to the recording and also want the lo-fi metal vibe,try recording the track from your speakers,it gives it more feeling of being recorded live.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm 

Give everything a bunch of reverb and make sure the mix is very treble-heavy, but the drums should also be bottom-heavy too, so the double bass and cymbals still have punch. The guitars and vocals should probably be at the front of the mix.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic