Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:33 am 

I love the music and I am wondering, is there any actual scales being used in this music or is it literally just chromatic riffing and sweeps? I assume the guitarists have some musical knowledge to be able to get to that level. Or maybe they really just practiced chromatic exercises to the point of being able to play that chaotically?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:44 am 

I'm not familiar with the band, but just listened a couple of times to Beyond Bludgeoned, and here's my analysis of that particular song:
The piece is fairly tame both harmonic and rhythmically, not very chaotic at all. It stays on its minor key throughout (Fm I think, but I don't have an instrument at hand to check so don't quote me on that), and while it changes time signatures a lot, it never strays from the most common (4/4, 3/4, 5/4 with their compound equivalents) and the rhythms are either quarter notes, eights, or sixteenths, always filling up the beat with no syncopation. There are occasional passing notes/chromaticism, and they use a lot raised iv, v, and vi, but the most complex chord I heard may have been a m7 (which is very common in metal, simple chords keep the sound beefy).
Where they excel is at the excellent technique and precision in playing those lightning-speed riffs and licks, these guys must be practicing even in their sleep.

In short, if you wanted to approach their style of writing, some basic theory would very much help, but the most important part would be to focus your attention hours a day for years to develop those sick-ass chops.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:04 am 

Wow thanks a lot for the in depth analysis, that's generous of you. Could you recommend any particular scales or theory to practice? I personally only know very basic stuff. Like the major modes, and a basic pentatonic scale, I don't know any chords, harmonic/melodic minor or diminished scales.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:24 am 

Sure! The only scales you need to worry learning about on a first instance are the pentatonic, major, and minor. Don't overwhelm yourself thinking about the rest; for all practical purposes in the styles we play, every other scale and mode is just a variation of those three principal ones.

So, given there's only those three, you better learn them inside-out. Learn them by position so that you will always know your place around the neck, and most important, you'll start to understand and identify the patterns that build them.

For example, learn how to play a G major scale in first position (without open strings so that you can transpose this up the neck), across all strings. Then play the chords arpeggiated in that position, as in this picture

There on the first line I wrote down the pattern for a major scale (begin the very first note with your middle finger and place your other fingers accordingly), then the arpeggios for the first two chords with their 7ths. You can probably figure the rest out once you realize how the patterns are working.

Once you begin getting comfortable with those, start messing around with them. What if you play three notes, go one back, play three again, and advance in that manner? Make it 4, make it 5, whatever. What if you sneak one of the notes that lie in-between the pattern? Or maybe begin it from the second note instead of the first. Explore as much as you can, what's important is that you get the feeling for the scale and its harmonies ingrained in your brain.

Do the same for the pentatonic and minor scales, and you've got the most important grounds covered up, then you can start looking at what's next.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 pm 

That's awesome man, thank you very much. I'll get to work on it and knuckle down on the basics. I've got the time lol.

Reply to topic