Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:21 pm 

OK, here's where i'm at. Whenever i think of recording, i think strictly analog.

However, all i need is to make some click tracks so i can record some bass lines and i really don't feel like getting a four track and drum machine. So i'm asking if anyone can point me in the right direction. Just need to record basslines and email the mp3s. Nothing fancy.

Thanks.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am 

You just need to stop thinking analog and join the modern era. With less than an hour or tinkering and zero dollars you can install Reaper and a drum plugin like MT Power Kit and you're set. If that's too fancy, try Garageband.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:00 pm 

It's worth pointing out that even if they don't force DRM on the user, Reaper is paid software, and GarageBand is iOS exclusive.
Best, simplest tool out there is Audacity. It's free and cross-platform. You open, generate the click track, record, and that's it.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:58 am 

I think some further elaboration is needed. Both of the replies above assume that you have the means to actuallly record your bass (a.k.a. an audio interface), is that the case?

Also, what is the purpose of the recording - sketching? A demo? A final recording that's going to be mixed?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:02 am 

yentass wrote:
I think some further elaboration is needed. Both of the replies above assume that you have the means to actuallly record your bass (a.k.a. an audio interface), is that the case?

Also, what is the purpose of the recording - sketching? A demo? A final recording that's going to be mixed?

Basically just for sketching out ideas and sending them to who i'm going to work with. That way they won't have to guess or try figuring written instructions and suggestions.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:59 pm 

As far as sketching ideas goes, Guitar Pro is pretty hard to beat. It's a tab/notation software, not a recording one, but you can export audio mock ups from it fairly easily.

If you insist on actually recording your parts for these purposes, then an audio interface is needed to record what you play into the computer. If you happen to have a mixer and/or a hardware amp sim with a USB port - these would work, if not - here are a few USB interfaces that are relatively cheap for you to consider:

Behringer Guitar Link UCG102. The company doesn't have the best rep as far as quality/longevity goes, so bear that in mind.
TC-Helicon Audio Interface (GO GUITAR PRO)
Shure MVi Digital Audio Interface

Please note that I have absolutely no personal experience with those, so don't take it as a recommendation. These are simply the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon that have a more or less reputable brands attached to them, so I assume they're at least going to work, but the googling for reviews is something I'd leave to you and wholly recommend not skimping on. There are also some feature set/"scalability" considerations to make, too, but I feel like it might be a little too much info to digest in one go at this point.

As for recording software - I second Audacity.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:39 pm 

I looked up Audacity earlier and it's a go. I decided that's what i'm going with. Looked up Guitar Pro and it's something i really like. I used to see flyers around quite a bit for people that did transcribing and always thought it was a good idea. Great that the software can do that. I've use a few Behringer pedals so i'm familiar with their rep as far as quality goes. As long as it can do the utter basic, i'm satisfied. If it was for a full pc studio thing i'd look around further but for this, Behringer will do.

Looks like it's a go then. Thanks for the information.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:17 pm 

CrudeNoiseMonger wrote:
I looked up Audacity earlier and it's a go. I decided that's what i'm going with. Looked up Guitar Pro and it's something i really like. I used to see flyers around quite a bit for people that did transcribing and always thought it was a good idea. Great that the software can do that. I've use a few Behringer pedals so i'm familiar with their rep as far as quality goes. As long as it can do the utter basic, i'm satisfied. If it was for a full pc studio thing i'd look around further but for this, Behringer will do.

Looks like it's a go then. Thanks for the information.

Yeah lots of people do Audacity when they are just wanting a basic start-up thing. If you want to go further (and you might, digital is insanely powerful these days), there are many, many other DAWs out there.

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:46 pm 

Got a Behringer Uphoria UM2 today and i downloaded the Audacity but i haven't set it up yet. I'll be doing that all tomorrow when i get the Guitar Pro. Funny enough, a couple days ago i remembered i had a brand new still in the box Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder that i picked up a few months ago. Thought of some ways i could use it and so it's part of my setup now. Years ago, putting a practice amp in front of a boom box to make riff tapes was the absolute low budget way to go. It's nice doing the current day digital version of it.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:37 am 

CrudeNoiseMonger wrote:
Got a Behringer Uphoria UM2 today and i downloaded the Audacity but i haven't set it up yet. I'll be doing that all tomorrow when i get the Guitar Pro. Funny enough, a couple days ago i remembered i had a brand new still in the box Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder that i picked up a few months ago. Thought of some ways i could use it and so it's part of my setup now. Years ago, putting a practice amp in front of a boom box to make riff tapes was the absolute low budget way to go. It's nice doing the current day digital version of it.

That's cool! For some perspective, I started out literally putting my iPhone in front of my amp with a free metronome app and the Voice Memos app. That was OK to share ideas but only got me so far. So installed a free DAW on my computer with some free plug-ins to create mp3's I could send via email. That was much more fun so I just started adding on pieces here and there. Now I'm recording multi-track stuff with all instruments and samples for things like choirs/synths. I'm pretty much obsessed with it at this point.

I'm not saying you'll go that far, LOL. But you can, if you want, and the cost is fairly minimal these days.

Reply to topic