Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 pm 

I'm learning the song Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath, and I could play most of the song.

However, the long trill in the main riff is killing me.

Whenever I do the trill, the notes die out too quickly. The only way I could play it is if I pick the trill a bit to keep up the momentum. Is this cheating?

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:35 am 

It's a matter of finger strength. Thicker strings are harder to do that with, but it'll happen with practice.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:41 am 

You can turn it into an exercise. Trill on different strings, on different places on the fretboard, and with different combinations of fingers (index and middle, index and ring, index and pinky, middle and ring, middle and pinky, ring and pinky). Do a long trill with one particular combination of those for 5 seconds, take a short rest (maybe 10-20 seconds), then try the next combination. If you can do 10 second long trills, even better. Over a few days or weeks, try and add a few seconds more each day so eventually you can execute them for a minute apiece.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:51 am 

When you practice, try to find the feel of the minimum amount of force you need to apply with your finger to get the pull-off to sound. That will save you a lot of energy, if you can use that minimum amount of force consistently. Keeping your fingers as relaxed as possible can help you maintain the movement. Compression and overdrive certainly help.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 am 

That could be a shortcut to it. Ultimately you want to just build up the strength and dexterity so you could even do it on an acoustic without the help of compression and amplification.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:26 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That could be a shortcut to it. Ultimately you want to just build up the strength and dexterity so you could even do it on an acoustic without the help of compression and amplification.

Well, you don't want to be using more force than you need to in order to make the sound you want to. There's also no point in learning to do it with an acoustic guitar, unless you plan on performing it on an acoustic guitar.

I don't recommend using more gain than you otherwise would just so you can make your hammer-ons and pull-offs sound smoother, but it's just unavoidable that tapping techniques sound better with some degree of compression and overdrive.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:59 pm 

Fantastic advice here, specially about looking for that minimal pressure threshold that will yield a sound.
There are two things I can chime in with:

-Make sure you're in good posture and that there are no breaks in your wrist. Practising this kind of stuff on a bad angle is a very good way to end up with a RSI and fuck up your tendons. Listen to what your body is telling you.
-Use a metronome and start slowly. You can add rubato later, but it's better if you have a solid foundation first.

My 2c., hope that helps.

Reply to topic