Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:08 pm 

I like to write a lot of music on the guitar, but unfortunately I've never been proficient at all at playing in time accurately. It's always been a struggle. All the songs of mine that I've written that I've recorded I always just played along to a MIDI track extracted from Guitar Pro as I have no ability to play along to a drum and bass track like a real musican (and this is despite writing bass and drum parts for my music all the time! lol). Every recording session was like torture as it would just be trial and error with me messing up with a million bad takes before I get one good one due to my lack of precision. Even though I am more than capable of writing fast somewhat technical stuff I cannot actually play any of it accurately. It typically also takes me about 2-3 weeks of rehearsal before I get all the riffs down in one of my songs – a very long arduous process in my opinion. So basically I am thoroughly fed up with the recording process. And I know all of you here will right away tell me that I need to practice playing something super slow/midtempo along to a metronome and slowly work my way up from there to improve my playing abilities and to allow me to play along to drums and bass like a real musician, but I simply at this point in my life have zero interest in devoting time to such a pursuit – when I pick up my guitar all I want to do is write music with Guitar Pro, not start back from square one and reinvent the wheel

So is there a program/plug-in out there that can turn a guitar MIDI track extracted from a tablature program (like Guitar Pro) into a convincingly sounding distorted electric guitar? One can easily get a realistic bass guitar sound by taking a MIDI bass track extracted from Guitar Pro and applying a bass plug-in to it. One can also do the same thing with a MIDI drum track from Guitar Pro using plug-ins like KVLT drums. So where is the plug-in to turn the MIDI guitar into a real sounding guitar? I find it hard to believe something like this hasn't been invented yet, it seems it wouldn't be that hard to make if they've made drum and bass plug-ins and guitar amp plug-ins.

While this may sound all depressing and makes me out to be a horrendously laughable fake musician, I actually take great confident pride in my songwriting/riff writing abilities and originality. Over the years I've always gotten lots of positive feedback about how good my songs are.

Check out the link to my newest album if you want to hear for yourself. They are all MIDI tracks of my songs extracted from Guitar Pro:

https://soundcloud.com/wrathful_deity/sets

The style of the album is kind of like a more technical sounding version of INRI album era of Sarcofago and the Ugra-Karma album era of Impaled Nazarene. These elements are then mixed with the complex songwriting of Effigy of the Forgotten era Suffocation (I was only inspired by their complex songwriting not their riffing style). I also drew lots of inspiration from Ten Commandments album era of Malevolent Creation , Morbid Angel’s Altars of Madness album, Deicide (self-title debut), Sodom (Persecution Mania), Kreator (Endless Pain) and Massacre (From Beyond, lead guitar whammy bar solo work only)

Side questions:

1. If this hypothetical plug-in exists that allows one to convert MIDI guitar tracks into convincingly real sounding distorted guitars, will my music that is devoid of any actual real instruments be still accepted into the Metal Archives?

2. Has anyone in my position ever been able to get someone to record the guitar parts that they wrote for them (possibly for free or by paying them a lot of money)? Or has someone in my position put together an entire band (non-commercial extreme metal only in this scenario) and had that band play the music they wrote, but that songwriter never records in the studio with the band they put together or plays live with them?

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:22 am 

Short answer: no. Go practice.

Long answer: Hell no. Guitar, especially metal guitar, has so many factors that give it a human feel that it's pretty much impossible to replicate virtually. You could, in theory, run your MIDI through a VST to sound like a raw electric guitar signal, and then run that through amp sims, but it would still sound fake as fuck. Unless you want to go through the MIDI track adjusting the timings and velocities of every single note to sound more real, it's going to be robotic as hell. And even if you do go through the entire MIDI track adjusting everything, the time you spend doing that will almost definitely be longer than it would take to just practice the riffs.

Side answers:

1: if you don't care about actually recording music, why is that important to you?

2: Jason Becker gets other guitarists to record his music, but that's because he's literally crippled with illness.

Just fucking practice.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:36 am 

1. No reason why it wouldn't be accepted as long as it's metal. Master Boot Record and Grind.Bot are on the archives.
2. You can find guitarists for hire in any of the usual networks (soundbetter, upwork, fiverr, etc.). Hell, you can hire an entire crew of session musicians with audio engineers to mix the recordings if you've got the wad.
Do NOT approach people on these sites and try to get them to play for free or join you as they would for a band, however. It's insulting to the professional that's offering a service. I clarify this because it has happened to me before, and it's annoying.
That doesn't mean you can't find like-minded people under other circumstances, tho. Immortal had Demonaz as an at-home songwriter for a long time while everybody else played live.

Regarding the original question: There are a couple of VSTs that will emulate an electric guitar, you can look for demos and comparisons online to see what suits you best. The ones that will get you a convincing sound do come with two caveats:
-They're expensive.
-You need to get good at programming them. There's no automatic solution that will take your MIDI and make it sound good out of the box.

You always go the other route and, much like MBR, embrace the synth sound and make it a part of your style. Sounds great if you can pull it off.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:34 am 

One of those plugins is this:

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/strum-gs-2/

There's a "lite" less expensive version available as well, but the OP seems to have a stable financial situation, judging from their other posts.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:28 pm 

i don't think MA accepts it if it's midi regardless how real it sounds. I know there was a couple discussions in the band submission thread where they turned down some black metal bands that were basically all midi everything.

2. yeah there's people that will play it for you. most will want money. some might do it just cause but those will be rarities.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:27 am 

Commisaur wrote:
I simply at this point in my life have zero interest in devoting time to such a pursuit – when I pick up my guitar all I want to do is write music with Guitar Pro, not start back from square one and reinvent the wheel

Being able to play your own music passably is not "reinventing the wheel". It's the bare minimum if you want to be a guitarist in a band. Otherwise you're just a composer. Which is totally fine, but it sounds like that's not what you want. Sorry, you do need to just practice more and/or find a guitar teacher to help you figure out why you're struggling.

I'm a drummer. When my guitarist comes to me with a riff that's faster or more complex than I'm used to, I don't say "sorry this is too hard for me, let's use a drum machine instead". I practice my ass off until I can nail it. Music isn't supposed to be easy.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:40 am 

You can do that with bass and drums. Just get EZDrummer or EZBass, write the parts on Guitar Pro and these programms have a choice to turn midi into the samples you can find on EZDrummer or EZBass. I doubt there doesn't exist a program that doesn't do what you ask but you will most likely get a very robotic guitar sound even if you do a lot of editing. I think guitar is the only instrument that can't sound as realistic when programmed in comparison to drums, bass and keyboards.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
Regarding the original question: There are a couple of VSTs that will emulate an electric guitar, you can look for demos and comparisons online to see what suits you best. The ones that will get you a convincing sound do come with two caveats:
-They're expensive.
-You need to get good at programming them. There's no automatic solution that will take your MIDI and make it sound good out of the box.

Pretty much this. Any such program would probably require additonal fiddling with the MIDI file.

With that being said - there's no shortage of these, actually. You'll find even more of those by googling "electric guitar vst"/"electric guitar sample library", but be on the lookout for "requires full version of Kontakt" or something like that ("Kontakt player" is fine, though), as it would require an additional purchase from you. Those I linked do not. Each one has its strengths and limitations, and probably none sound like the real thing, so keep your expectations in check.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:24 am 

If you can write really good stuff, it's probably easier to find someone who's a capable guitar player and is excited to work with your project. I know I would, if someone came up with really cool music that I felt enthusiastic about.

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:01 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
If you can write really good stuff, it's probably easier to find someone who's a capable guitar player and is excited to work with your project. I know I would, if someone came up with really cool music that I felt enthusiastic about.

Are you enthusiastic about my stuff and interested in playing it?:

https://soundcloud.com/wrathful_deity/sets

You won't offend me by the way if you say no, haha

Edit: I plan on using KVLT drums and AmpleBass plugins and then I plan on taking all that and the guitar tracks to a music recording studio to have it all professionally mastered and mixed. That's my plan if I can find a guitarists. I have no idea what I would do about the vocals though, thats the least of my concerns

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:37 am 

One artist I know is quite open about how, due to tendinitis, he started using auto-tune to construct his guitar parts like seen in this video. So that'd basically work if you can play one note in time.

Reply to topic